HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brandon Dubinsky

Old
04-08-2010, 12:05 PM
TomLaidlaw

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
I didnt mean to say he hasn't been playing well, and I like Dubinsky, but I feel like when he first came up he was a much more NA power-forward type who wasn't as good at holding onto the puck down low but would go in and create turnovers with his forechecking. Now I feel like it is the exact opposite.

I feel Dubinsky has more potential than he is showing even right now and I want to see him improve. If he could be more aggressive like he used to be while continuing his puck control I think he has the ability to be a legitimate power forward who plays with an edge. Something the Rangers very much need. Just looking for more consistency overall in his game, but that will come with time.
I agree. I think Dubinsky has the physical tools to be more than what he is now. There are still areas of his game that need to be polished. The encouraging thing about Dubinsky is that he is improving over time. Power forward types usually take a little longer to develop and considering Dubi is only 23 I am really happy with his development at this point in his career.

A player on this roster that i think has the potential to be just as good as Dubi in the puck possession department is Artem. Ani is very raw right now but I see the ability. When he fills out a bit and gets a little stronger and has better awareness of opposing players on the ice I see him being an absolute headache for other teams in the offensive zone. The same patience I am showing towards Dubi I will give to Ani for the simple fact that I see potential in both these players. I don't wanna see us give up on guys like this too early.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 12:08 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
Brandon Dubinsky

2008-09 - 82GP / 13G / 28A / 41P
2009-10 - 67GP / 19G / 24A / 43P

Nice jump in points in 15 less games played Dubi

Now get that 20th goal!
Yep, prorated over 82 games, he'd put up 23 goals and 29 assists for 52 points. That's not too shabby for a guy in his third season.

If he becomes a player that can consistently record 50+ points, that's a major coup considering he was the 60th pick in the draft.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Dubinsky has been steadily developing. The lack of Point growth last season was a result of the fact he was on the third line all season, not with Gaborik. Im certain his total TOI and PP TOI was lower in 08-09 than it was in 07-08.

Thait said, not all players jump to their peak in their second or third season, like Callahan or Stamkos. If we have a slow grower in Dubi then good.(Zajac?)

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 12:36 PM
ohbaby

I like Dubi. Love the way he plays. But when you think of a power forward, you think of Tkachuk, Guerin, and the like. And I don't think Dubi will ever be as proficient in scoring like most of the other power forwards. He is still a very valuable player, but lets face it, he will never be a star. He doesn't have the shot that Carter has. Rarely have I seen him take a slap shot that impressed me. So while his other skills are very impressive, his points will be limited due to his shot. I believe what you see now, is close to the best he will ever be. Tops a 60 pt scorer.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post
I like Dubi. Love the way he plays. But when you think of a power forward, you think of Tkachuk, Guerin, and the like. And I don't think Dubi will ever be as proficient in scoring like most of the other power forwards. He is still a very valuable player, but lets face it, he will never be a star. He doesn't have the shot that Carter has. Rarely have I seen him take a slap shot that impressed me. So while his other skills are very impressive, his points will be limited due to his shot. I believe what you see now, is close to the best he will ever be. Tops a 60 pt scorer.
I don't anyone here thinks he will be a star.

But he does fit the power forward mold even if he isn't going to be a top power forward like Tkachuk and Guerin were.

Like NYR2 said if he's going to be a consistent 50+ point player, while playing his style of hockey, then i'll be extremely happy to have him in Ranger blue for the next 8 years.

Ever since the whole Gaborik incident vs the Flyers he has been the first player to race over to protect a teammate, love that about him also.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 12:52 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Yep, prorated over 82 games, he'd put up 23 goals and 29 assists for 52 points. That's not too shabby for a guy in his third season.

If he becomes a player that can consistently record 50+ points, that's a major coup considering he was the 60th pick in the draft.
the thing that gets me is that even though his point totals are climbing, he's still pretty inconsistant and vanishes for extended periods of time

this season he's recorded about .64 pts/game which is pretty good...however, he got 0 points in 37 out of his 67 games

i dont know, its not terrible by any means, but i was just hoping he'd show less streakiness this season

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 12:52 PM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
I don't anyone here thinks he will be a star.

But he does fit the power forward mold even if he isn't going to be a top power forward like Tkachuk and Guerin were.

Like NYR2 said if he's going to be a consistent 50+ point player, while playing his style of hockey, then i'll be extremely happy to have him in Ranger blue for the next 8 years.

Ever since the whole Gaborik incident vs the Flyers he has been the first player to race over to protect a teammate, love that about him also.
I love him also, but people keep talking about his development, including Sam and Joe for a couple of years now. And I just don't think he's got much more room to grow. Not that what you see from him now could be a precursor of things to come. It's just that you won't see any jump like Stamkos has made.

Old
04-08-2010, 12:56 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I'm a big fan of Dubinsky. One of the few Rangers I actually like. He reminds me a lot of Mike Richards. He has the same type of grit and toughness that Richards has (as he showed when he laid that beating on him earlier in the year). Should be a fun last weekend of the season.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
I love him also, but people keep talking about his development, including Sam and Joe for a couple of years now. And I just don't think he's got much more room to grow. Not that what you see from him now could be a precursor of things to come. It's just that you won't see any jump like Stamkos has made.
Stamkos was a #1 overall...Dubinsky was the 60th pick in his class.

Even if he doesnt have much more room to grow (which I agree with, to an extent), he'll still be the first top 6 forward this team has developed in ages. Personally, I dont know where the expectations that Dubinsky was ever going to be a star came from, and I dont know why you'd even mention him in the same breath as Stamkos.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I'm a big fan of Dubinsky. One of the few Rangers I actually like. He reminds me a lot of Mike Richards. He has the same type of grit and toughness that Richards has (as he showed when he laid that beating on him earlier in the year). Should be a fun last weekend of the season.
Richards has a better offensive game, but generally I agree. They play the game in a very similar way.

Coincidentally, the hate eachother.

Old
04-08-2010, 01:10 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Nothing wrong with a 60 point player who's physical and plays in all situations. But I disagree about his shot. He worked on it a lot over the summer and it has noticably improved, which may be why he has a career high in goals.

His shooting percentage the last 3 years:

2007-08: 8.9% (14 goals on 157 shots)
2008-09: 6.9% (13 goals on 188 shots)
2009-10: 11.9% (19 goals on 159 shots)

Like others have said, power forwards generally take more time. Look at Dustin Penner. He didn't even play his first full season until he was 24.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 01:21 PM
Gardner McKay
Cupcake schedule.

vCash: 2679
Realistically, I dont think dubi is done developing, not that he has a ton left, but I do think he has a bit more.

I see him being a 60 point guy for most of his career with having maybe 1 or 2 70 point seasons. which would be perfectly fine with me.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 01:33 PM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
and I dont know why you'd even mention him in the same breath as Stamkos.
Someone mentioned about Stamkos' development earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Nothing wrong with a 60 point player who's physical and plays in all situations. But I disagree about his shot. He worked on it a lot over the summer and it has noticably improved, which may be why he has a career high in goals.

His shooting percentage the last 3 years:

2007-08: 8.9% (14 goals on 157 shots)
2008-09: 6.9% (13 goals on 188 shots)
2009-10: 11.9% (19 goals on 159 shots)

Like others have said, power forwards generally take more time. Look at Dustin Penner. He didn't even play his first full season until he was 24.
Dustin is 6'4 245 lbs and scored 29 goals in his first full year in the NHL when he was 24. I don't think Dubi will ever fit in his skates.

And like mentioned, nothing wrong with Dubi and his production,... just tired of hearing about his potential every time he makes a nice play.

Old
04-08-2010, 01:41 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
i dont know, its not terrible by any means, but i was just hoping he'd show less streakiness this season
Well... he definitely has shown LESS "streakiness". He's still is inconsistent. But he absolutely has been more consistent. And he does tend to show up down the stretch run. So if he can continue to improve on his consistency (not even talking about the point production), that would be tremendous for him and the team. But he certainly has improved in that area even if it isn't as much as many were hoping for.

But really, as far as his offense goes, there hasn't been a level of hockey in his career where he hasn't been inconsistent. That fact that he has brought his game to the point where the expectations are so lofty is saying quite a bit.

People want him to be something that he was never projected to be and doesn't have the natural instincts to be. But if he could become the type of player who consistently brings the physical game, and takes the puck to the net, that would be a big WIN.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 01:50 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
Well... he definitely has shown LESS "streakiness". He's still is inconsistent. But he absolutely has been more consistent. And he does tend to show up down the stretch run. So if he can continue to improve on his consistency (not even talking about the point production), that would be tremendous for him and the team. But he certainly has improved in that area even if it isn't as much as many were hoping for.

But really, as far as his offense goes, there hasn't been a level of hockey in his career where he hasn't been inconsistent. That fact that he has brought his game to the point where the expectations are so lofty is saying quite a bit.

People want him to be something that he was never projected to be and doesn't have the natural instincts to be. But if he could become the type of player who consistently brings the physical game, and takes the puck to the net, that would be a big WIN.
i can't disagree with any of what you said

and i do admit he was more consistant this period, i guess i was just looking for evidence that he was going to completely grow out of his disapearing act...as the bolded part indicates, i guess its something we're going to have to deal with

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 02:07 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
I agree. I think Dubinsky has the physical tools to be more than what he is now. There are still areas of his game that need to be polished. The encouraging thing about Dubinsky is that he is improving over time. Power forward types usually take a little longer to develop and considering Dubi is only 23 I am really happy with his development at this point in his career.

A player on this roster that i think has the potential to be just as good as Dubi in the puck possession department is Artem. Ani is very raw right now but I see the ability. When he fills out a bit and gets a little stronger and has better awareness of opposing players on the ice I see him being an absolute headache for other teams in the offensive zone. The same patience I am showing towards Dubi I will give to Ani for the simple fact that I see potential in both these players. I don't wanna see us give up on guys like this too early.
This is a great post Tom, and pretty much exactly explains my feelings on Dubinsky, whose rapidly becoming one of my more favorite Rangers.

The only thing I'll add is that I dont think his time with Jagr during his rookie year can be understated. Dubinsky's ability to control the opposition along the boards is perhaps the strongest part of his game, and he looks like a poor man's Jagr to me when he does it.

Old
04-08-2010, 02:30 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Consistency can't fully be measured based on offensive production, but I thought it might be interesting to look at Dubinsky's numbers the last 3 years and see how he has improved.

2007-08:

Scored in 30 of 82 games (36.6%)
40 points in 30 games (1.33 ppg)

2008-09:

Scored in 32 of 82 games (39%)
41 points in 32 games (1.28 ppg)

2009-10:

Scored in 30 of 67 games (44.8%)
43 points in 30 games (1.43 ppg)

By way of comparison, here are the numbers for our other top scorers this year:

Callahan:
Scored in 24 of 76 games (31.6%)
37 points in 24 games (1.54 ppg)

Del Zotto:
Scored in 30 of 78 games (38.5%)
37 points in 30 games (1.23 ppg)

Prospal:
Scored in 38 of 73 games (52.1%)
58 points in 38 games (1.53 ppg)

Gaborik:
Scored in 48 of 74 games (64.9%)
84 points in 48 games (1.75 ppg)

So, at least offensively, he has contributed in a higher percentage of games each year, and his PPG average in those games this year is the highest of his career.

If he can push his numbers up to 50% and 1.5 ppg, he will be a 60 point player. I don't think that's a big stretch.

Edit: Since the olympic break, Dubinsky has scored in 11 of 18 games (61.1%), though only 12 points (1.09 ppg) in those 11.

Edit2: Since returning from his injury he's scored in 24 of 49 games (49%) with 33 points in those 24 games (1.375 ppg).

Prior to his injury, he scored in 6 of 18 games (33%) with 10 points in those 6 games (1.67 ppg)

So he's been scoring more consistently as the season has progressed, but his ppg average in those games has gone down. Less big games but more games in which he scores.

Last edited by GAGLine: 04-08-2010 at 02:47 PM.
GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 02:32 PM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
So, at least offensively, he has contributed in a higher percentage of games each year, and his PPG average in those games this year is the highest of his career.

If he can push his numbers up to 50% and 1.5 ppg, he will be a 60 point player. I don't think that's a big stretch.
It would be tremendous for this team for the next eight or so years to have a 60 pt (left wing) forward that plays a gritty game like Dubinsky. If he develops into a more power forward type game, all the freaking better.

I hope he stays LW.

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 02:39 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
Has been unbelievable this season. He's about to be a 20 goal scorer (while missing 13 games), and we could very well see 25-30 goals out of him next season. This just may have been have been his break out this season. I feel like he's going unappreciated around here, but he's very clearly evolved into a good second line center.

Keep it up Dubi!
I think unbelievable is an overstatement. I would argue his improvement has be very believable and about what I expected. Unbelievable to me would like 35 goals and 45 assists because if someone predicted he'd have those numbers this season, I would not have believed him. If someone is predicting those numbers for next season, I will not believe them. He will slowly develop into a better and better player each season. He won't suddenly 'figure it out' and get to 35-45-80 but in 5 more seasons of development, I think he can begin flirting with numbers like 28-38-66.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 07:51 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
but in 5 more seasons of development, I think he can begin flirting with numbers like 28-38-66.
If we're talking about "unbelievable", I'd say those numbers would be pretty unbelievable if he'd get there... while also bringing the gritty power forward game.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 07:58 PM
In The Flesh

If Dubi could become the second coming of Adam Deadmarsh I'd be pretty stoked. I loved Adam and see a lot of him in Dubi. Deadmarsh cracked 60 pts. twice, I'm not sure Dubi can get that high, but I'm optimistic.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 08:09 PM
I am a Ranger

Dubi has skills and is a great player for his age in the NHL.

He is the type of player that will become a "Captain" soon.

I think if the Rangers make the playoffs this year he will have a good playoff series.

I am a Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 08:30 AM
ohbaby

I don't worry about Dubi's numbers. He brings so much more to the game, that his scoring is almost a bonus. How many guys can you say that about.

Plus he playing with Gabby so his numbers might be inflated.

Then again he's the type of player that makes his linemates better. Although, I'm kinda still waiting for Gabby to catch fire again. Gabby's been looking for his linemates more,.... sometimes passing up scoring chances. Set up Dubi last nite, and Christensen the nite before with beautiful passes. So the line on the whole, is producing.

When he played with Jagr, he really showed strength on the puck. He seems to have taken a small step back in that area. He is not as strong, in protecting the puck, when 68 was here, but he can still dump and chase and recover with the best of them. Has been moving the puck very quickly, going to the front collecting garbage, crunching, banging, jumping opponents, excellent away from the puck (backchecking), I could go on and on.

Even when he's off his game, (invisible) and thats not often,...he's is still sound defensively.

Old
04-10-2010, 09:13 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Ranger View Post
Dubi has skills and is a great player for his age in the NHL.

He is the type of player that will become a "Captain" soon.

I think if the Rangers make the playoffs this year he will have a good playoff series.
I told my brother this during the playoffs against the Devils. He's gonna be our captain when the veterans leave (i.e. Jagr & Drury), in my opinion. I know he was playing with Jagr in the second half of his rookie season, but you just see his leadership and it's showing now too. People may say Cally, which is another perfect example player to throw the C on.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote