Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Countdown to the draft

Old
06-16-2010, 11:33 PM
mnwildgophers

vCash: 500
I'd be ecstatic if we go Nino or Conolly, but I'm more expecting us to select either Johansen or Granlund. I think that if both are available, we will hopefully select Granlund. I think he could be a great pick. Skinner kind of scares me, but we'll have to wait and see what happens.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 12:30 AM
Andy Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
I'd be ecstatic if we go Nino or Conolly, but I'm more expecting us to select either Johansen or Granlund. I think that if both are available, we will hopefully select Granlund. I think he could be a great pick. Skinner kind of scares me, but we'll have to wait and see what happens.
I agree with this. Nino would be the dream scenario, dropping to us at nine. From what I've seen from the various lists there seems to be less doubt over Granlund's ability to translate his abilities to the next level whereas both Johansen and Skinner seem to raise some doubt. Although I do admit that a few scouts see Skinner as the potential home run in the draft.

Any thoughts of Pitlick would be a reach at 9 for me, unless the team trades down.

As for the second round, I hope for Galiev to drop or the team to take a chance on Brad Ross, the third part of Portland's top line with niederreiter and Johansen. The goals and PIM combo is something I like.

Last edited by Andy Wild: 06-17-2010 at 12:31 AM. Reason: bad grammar
Andy Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 05:19 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I'm guessing your Finnish since you know a lot about Granlund, and that's fine. Maybe there's a language barrier? I'm not saying he'll be a bad player at all and if you re-read what I wrote I thought he'd be a better NHL player than Skinner.

I'm not sure about him scoring 90 points in the NHL...that's Nicklas Backstrom level scoring, and he's 3" taller and 30 pounds heavier. Plus he's got Ovechkin on his wing.

But that's the guessing game...
There was language barrier yes. Well you don't know much about Granlund tho. Yes backstrom is bigger but Granlunds game is way more physical than backstroms Granlund gives big hits but backstrom is stronger and uses it well to protect the puck. I told you his max potential is about 90points per season. If he continues to develope like this he wins the points scoring title in FEL next season or be TOP 3 player. Only like 3-4 players had better PPG than Granlund last season. + if you're taller and hevier that doesen't make you score more points than other player. Granlund have produce points at mens level already he dominated against NHL sized players in the most physical league in europe. His next step is adapting his game to NA rink and produce at NHL level. Other players next step is produce at mens level except some players go straight to the NHL but theres only few of them.Granlund has experience from international level games. He played against russia and czech's wc team in EHT tournament. He could run PP at that level making some dangerous passes but wasn't ready yet but russia was full on NHL players. Against czech he played well and dominated sometimes. That czech team won world championship later. However you are underestimating his physicality. He is fine against men who has NHL size. It is disgustingly hard to take puck from Granlund without taking penalty. Of course a bigger player can knock him but hes up in a blink of the eye and fights like a pitbull who never give up. His skating is his biggest problem at the time. It's about average in FEL. He is slower kane with better two way play. Granlund has room to put his weight to +200pounds atleast. Hes short but hes heavily built. I doubt he will grow height anymore but we never know. I know alot about european prospects Granlund is very underrated in this draft. If he was faster and bigger he would be lock at top 3. Granlund added 15pounds weight this year next year he is atleast 185-190pounds book it. I'd love minny to draft him but minny needs goalscorers. If connolly slips into minny it would be lottery win for minny. Nino is overrated in my eyes. But he is very likeable player. If Minny picks Granlund then they should try to pick Pulkkinen who has good chemistry with Granlund already.

watch this clip from u-18 WC against czech from 4.55 his penalty killing shift. It shows how 2 bigger czech players can't get puck from Granlund at boards. He created scoring chance and had a good scoring opportunity aswell. You can see how smart he is. He had decent scoring place but he didn't want to shoot because he kills the penalty instead of trying to score and giving the puck to czechs. He has a super hockey computer in his head. He doesen't score at that clip but shows main things about his play. How he get czech players to follow him which makes room to line mates. Granlund makes those czech players look brainless. 3 czechs followed him. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXDRT4ii_YY

Last edited by thomast: 06-17-2010 at 06:50 AM.
thomast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 02:49 PM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

HF Hockey Wild Preview

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...draft_preview/

Quote:
Wild 2010 draft preview
Written by: Peter Prohaska on 06/16/2010

Top 10 prospects

1. Tyler Cuma, D
2. Marco Scandella, D
3. Colton Gillies, LW
4. Matt Hackett, G
5. Maxim Noreau, D
6. Cody Almond, C
7. Erik Haula, LW
8. Justin Falk, D
9. Kristopher Foucault, LW
10. Petr Kalus, LW

Hockey’s Future Staff Mock Draft selection: Mikael Granlund, F

#9 (1st round), #39 (2nd round), #56 (2nd round from Washington in Belanger trade), #69 (3rd), #99 (4th), #129 (5th), #159 (6th), #189 (7th)

Last edited by GopherState: 06-17-2010 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Copyright Abuse
HamiltonOHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 03:06 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Ugh.

Fraser and Madsen are no longer with the club, and he forgot about Wellman, Prosser, and Palmer.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 04:46 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

This is why Risebrough is an idiot for trading all those draft picks

Fascinating that 2nd rounders are only twice as likely to make the NHL as 7th rounders, and that basically the 4th through 7th round is relatively even in terms of likelihood to make the NHL.

Big surprised, Minnesota is ranked 29th in drafting outside the first round! Yay team Risebrough, not last!

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 04:51 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

It's hard to give Risebrough thanks because he really should have beat Waddell in that category.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 07:26 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

I really hope Nino drops but I know he won't...argh.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 10:21 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
One thing I like about Etem is speed. A guy with wheels who can score would be a nice add for the Wild.

He might be a guy they could trade down for.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 12:02 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

TSN's Final Draft Rankings:

1. Taylor Hall
2. Tyler Seguin
3. Erik Gudbranson
4. Brandon Gormley
5. Cam Fowler
6. Ryan Johanson
Quote:
Bob McKenzie: No player in this year’s NHL entry draft has come as far as quickly as Ryan Johansen. A year ago, the big, rangy centre was struggling to get fourth-line minutes in the British Columbia Junior League and he was not on the radar for Hockey Canada and any of its elite international competitions such as U-18 or others. As a kid, he didn’t always play AAA and he is by very definition a late-blooming underdog who has emerged in a big way in his one and only season in the WHL. He’s still physically immature and scouts project he could become a large physical presence at centre ice in the mold of a Joe Thornton or Eric Staal. Scouts don’t necessarily see the really high-end skill level/scoring ability of Staal, but still are excited by his strong two-way play and ability to make plays and dominate a game. The theory is that he’s only now discovering how good he can be. He was ranked No. 19 on TSN’s mid-season list and has bulled his way into blue-chip territory.
7. Nino Niederreiter
Quote:
Bob McKenzie: The Swiss winger played in 100-plus games this season, starting with the U-18 Ivan Hlinka tournament last August, the WHL regular season and playoffs, to say nothing of a starring performance at the World Junior Championship that also earned him a berth on the Swiss entry at the senior men’s World Championship in April and May. During that time, he demonstrated an uncanny ability to score big goals and provide glimpses of a power forward game that can irritate and infuriate opponents. Those who know him say he’s absolutely driven to become the best Swiss player ever and the first Swiss player to star in the NHL, yet in the conservative world of the NHL scouting fraternity, there may still be some who aren’t entirely sold because of the color of his passport.
8. Brett Connolly
Quote:
Bob McKenzie: No one doubts that Brett Connolly possesses elite level offensive ability, specifically goal scoring, but the closer it gets to draft day, the more questions are being raised about the health of the Prince George Cougar winger. He played only 16 regular season games because of hip ailments and while he was able to play for Canada at the Under-18 world championship in April, he didn’t play particularly well – Team Canada had a poor tournament and Connolly was by no means alone. Still, for scouts looking to see the form that took him to a xx-goal rookie season in the WHL last year, there is some trepidation and the contents of Connolly’s much talked-about medical reports will mean a lot. He and his agent maintain those problems are all behind him. Do not, however, read anything into Connolly not being invited to Canada’s national junior team summer evaluation camp. Hockey Canada remains bullish on Connolly but wanted him to invest time in the summer to getting fit and healthy off the ice and not worrying about competing on the ice. HC believed lack of conditioning and game shape hurt him more than anything else at the U-18 and if he plays next season in the WHL like he’s capable, he could still yet be a factor on the 2011 national junior team.
9. Jack Campbell
Quote:
Bob McKenzie: One could argue no prospect, other than maybe back to back Memorial Cup MVP Taylor Hall, has had a more impactful year than American goalie Jack Campbell. Campbell won the U-18 world championship in 2009 and again in 2010 and managed to sandwich in between a stunning performance that led Team USA to a gold medal at the 2010 World Junior Championship. Campbell is, by all accounts, an incredible teammate with character and leadership and game-stealing capabilities, the traits scouts look for in a franchise-type netminder. It’s said he’s off-the-scale confident but not cocky and he works as hard in practice to shut out teammates as he does in a game and that he’s a goal-oriented individual who will settle for nothing less than being a dominant goalie at the NHL level. He is committed to play for the Windsor Spitfires next season.
10. Jeff Skinner
Quote:
Bob McKenzie: Quite simply, Jeff Skinner is the best natural goal-scorer in the entire draft. He scored 50 goals in the regular season for the Kitchener Rangers and added another 20 in the playoffs. He played on the fourth line for Canada at the U-18 Ivan Hlinka tournament last August and led the team in goal scoring. The former minor midget teammate of Tyler Seguin is not big, he’s not that fast, but he’s got a low centre of gravity, he’s agile and he’s hard on the puck and can score with a quick release from far out or get his nose dirty in the blue paint. Kitchener GM-coach Steve Spott talks about Skinner with the same sort of reverence reserved for former Ranger captain Mike Richards, and that’s saying something. Skinner comes from a family of high achievers – both his parents are lawyers, one sister attends Harvard and the other sister, who has been called to the bar this summer, attends Cornell. When he was 12, Skinner finished third in the national junior figure skating championships and reportedly can do a double axel in full hockey equipment, although Spott said he has yet to witness that. Skinner has been rocketing up the charts all season long as concerns about his skating seem to have dissipated and is a bona find top 10 consideration, although scouts are miffed that NHL Central Scouting ranks him 32nd amongst North American skaters.
11. Derek Forbort
Quote:
Bob McKenzie: Derek Forbort isn’t as physically intimidating as U.S. Under-18 teammate Jarred Tinordi and he’s not as offensively gifted as teammate Jonathan Merrill and he doesn’t possess the hardest slapshot in the draft like teammate Justin Faulk, but with his size and mobility, scouts believe Forbort has greater potential than any of the stellar blueliners on what may be the best ever U.S. Under-18 squad and, therefore, is a legit threat to be a Top 10 pick.
12. Alexander Burmistrov
Quote:
Bob McKenzie: The diminutive Russian forward has dynamic qualities that some think might be Pavel Datsyuk-like and he was a well-liked and respected teammate with a wonderful, outgoing personality on the Barrie Colts, so if some team decided to take Alexander Burmistrov in the Top 10, it would come as no surprise, but some size concerns and the unbiquitous Russian Factor have discounted him ever so slightly.
13. Mikael Granlund
Quote:
Bob McKenzie: NHL scouts surveyed by TSN voted Finnnish centre Mikael Granlund the “smartest player” in the entire draft class, edging out Tyler Seguin for that honor. The savvy playmaker played better in the Finnish Elite League against men than he did against his peers at the WJC and there are some who are concerned about his skating. He could easily slide into the top 10 but could also slide to the second half of the first round. A mini wild card, if you will.
14. Austin Watson
Quote:
Bob McKenzie: Austin Watson is a prototypical pro winger with size, strength and speed and the ability to use it all to get in on the forecheck and provide physical play, though some wonder whether the Windsor Spitfiire turned Peterborough Pete can be an offensive factor at the pro level. Many of the same things were being said about Ryan Kesler at the same age.
15. Dylan McIlrath
16. Vladimir Tarasenko
17. Emerson Etem
18. Beau Bennett
19. Nick Bjugstad
20. Mark Pysyk
21. Riley Sheahan
22. Jonathan Merrill
23. Jarrad Tinordi
24. Evgeni Kuznetkov
25. Tyler Pitlick
26. Quinton Howden
27. Tyler Toffoli
28. John McFarland
29. Jaden Schwartz
30. Justin Faulk
31. Calvin Pickard
32. Charlie Coyle
33. Calle Jarnkrok
34. Brock Nelson
35. Bradley Ross
36. Alexander Petrovic
37. Ludwig Rensfeldt
38. Petr Straka
39. Ryan Spooner
40. Stanislav Galiev
41. Stephen Johns
42. Patrik Nemeth
43. Kiril Kabanov

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 12:05 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

I would still be fine with Skinner.

I also think Brock will drop to us at #39.

Edit: in fact, I think it would be stupid of us not to take a 5'11" OHL leading goal scorer at #9. However, I am also prepared for us to take Bjustad at #9 and then do a double face palm all night.

Last edited by bozak911: 06-21-2010 at 12:13 PM.
bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 12:15 PM
TheTenderness
¡VIVA EL NIÑO!

6, 7, 8, and 10 all sound pretty good to me. I wouldn't be upset with any of those picks.

I'll be crossing my fingers that picks 3-8 are looking for defense, but there should be enough talent on the board for us to get someone good regardless.

I really hope we don't blow it. A good first 3 picks in this draft could go a LONG way in restocking our cupboards.

TheTenderness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 12:24 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I'm just not all that impressed with Skinner to be honest. I certainly wouldn't be up in arms but I think there are better options.

Ideally, though, I just want to see the Wild take the risk and take the most talented player that will likely be there. In my opinion, that will probably be Vladimir Tarasenko. I get the Russian factor and all, but this kid has big time potential and it's about time the Wild take a risk. If it doesn't work out, fine. But I'd be a lot more understanding taking a risk on a player like that than selecting the safer pick. Which hasn't exactly panned out for the Wild as of late.

Austin Watson and Beau Bennett are two players who intrigue me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
I also think Brock will drop to us at #39.
I'd love to see it! But I doubt Brock Nelson slides that far.

Petr Straka is a player I'd love to see with the first second round pick.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 12:29 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

I see a few more players below Brock that will easily slide upwards. Kabanov, for example, will be taken either with a low first or a higher 2nd than ours. Straka, I think will go before Nelson.

If GMCF doesn't take Bjustad early, I see him possibly slipping into the 2nd, actually, but a high second.

A friend down in Chicago who is friends with a pro-player agent assistant (I realize how that sounds) told me that high school kids aren't as attractive this time around.

Dude is the CIO of a small Chicago-land bank chain and hangs with an eclectic crowd. He was the one that txted me the night before FA last summer saying "congrats on Havlat".

Half the things he tells me, though, are junk. One other thing he did tell me, is that the Wild are not in on any of the Chicago trades.

Old
06-21-2010, 02:46 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
I see a few more players below Brock that will easily slide upwards. Kabanov, for example, will be taken either with a low first or a higher 2nd than ours. Straka, I think will go before Nelson.

If GMCF doesn't take Bjustad early, I see him possibly slipping into the 2nd, actually, but a high second.

A friend down in Chicago who is friends with a pro-player agent assistant (I realize how that sounds) told me that high school kids aren't as attractive this time around.

Dude is the CIO of a small Chicago-land bank chain and hangs with an eclectic crowd. He was the one that txted me the night before FA last summer saying "congrats on Havlat".

Half the things he tells me, though, are junk. One other thing he did tell me, is that the Wild are not in on any of the Chicago trades.
HS kids never really are because they are the ultimate gamble. Even with the Elite League, it's hard to figure out if they are dominating because of size, competition (which is even more the case in Nelson) and the fact that most of them are long-term projects.

Old
06-21-2010, 03:05 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

I have to share one of the "junk" comments he shared with me... This will make you laugh, Trade Forum considered.

Quote:
One of the things that I keep hearing is a massive swap between Toronto and Chicago. Chicago is thinking long term and how much of the bonus cushion they can push off until the 2011 season (like they did this year). Burke is supposedly interested in Byuflin and the package is a bit of a salary dump to Toronto.

Toronto gets: Sharp + Byuflin + Crawford + Sopel
Chicago gets: Gustavsson + Bozak + Caputi

With the intention of sending Bozak and Caputi to Rockford. You can get a Bozak IceHogs jersey then!
I lol'd.

As I stated, 50% of what he says to me is just dumb.

Old
06-21-2010, 05:39 PM
saywut

Seems like Faulk is moving up boards. I mean ISS and CSS have him ranked as an early 3rd, while TSN has him in the top-30.
I'd gladly trade down to the mid-late teens if we're getting fair value. Don't see any forward after Connolly, Hall, and Seguin that stands out in the next 10 or so. If Connolly drops out of the top-5 he didn't check out medically. Also wouldn't mind if we dealt the pick altogether for a proven player, but that's GMCF's decision. Does he want to build through the draft or deal to improve this team now? He's said/done so many contradicting things about this its hard to know what his plan is.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:56 PM
Red Alberks

This is a quote from someone in the Brett Connolly vs. Nino Niederreiter thread in The NHL Draft (Prospects) page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
I think Connolly has a higher longterm upside. Actually I work with Brett's aunt and she's heading down to L.A on Thursday for the draft. She said Brett seems to think the Wild are really high on him, but i think for Minny fans it prolly won't happen cuz he'll be gone by the time your name rolls up.
Now obviously the credibility of this statement is very very questionable, but I hope that it is true. He's a top 5 talent, and as long as our docs think his injuries our behind him he would be a great pick!

Red Alberks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 10:42 PM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

When Fletcher was wiht ducks club they traded two seconds for a 28th i believe overall... would u do that again or would u stay with 2 2nd round picks

HamiltonOHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 10:57 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

If you are talking about Corey Perry, then it was 36 and 54 for 28.

Old
06-21-2010, 11:06 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Also to answer your question, there's a whole thread on the matter. Consensus is no.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=782454

Old
06-22-2010, 12:15 AM
mnwildgophers

Right now, on NHL Network, it's showing the 2006 NHL Entry draft. It's exciting, we're about to take James Sheppard at #9.

I'm super excited to see who we take this year at #9.

Old
06-22-2010, 12:19 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Right now, on NHL Network, it's showing the 2006 NHL Entry draft. It's exciting, we're about to take James Sheppard at #9.

I'm super excited to see who we take this year at #9.
Give it another hour or so for this beauty:

I just love the reaction.

Old
06-22-2010, 12:21 AM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Give it another hour or so for this beauty:

I just love the reaction.
I'm so staying up to watch that live, see what the analysts say about Shep and the trade we make.

I didn't really start becoming a huge Wild fan until about 2008. So, I didn't get to see much until now. This is a cool thing to watch. I'm pumped to watch the draft this year.

If Connolly falls to us, I think we will take him.

Old
06-22-2010, 12:49 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
I'm so staying up to watch that live, see what the analysts say about Shep and the trade we make.

I didn't really start becoming a huge Wild fan until about 2008. So, I didn't get to see much until now. This is a cool thing to watch. I'm pumped to watch the draft this year.

If Connolly falls to us, I think we will take him.
You know, I don't remember how people initially saw the Sheppard pick anymore. It was easily overshadowed by the Demitra "gamechanger" trade - what did the TSN panel say?