HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Over-the-air-HD?

Old
04-04-2010, 01:09 AM
invictus

vCash: 500
Over-the-air-HD?

So, I decided to get rid of cable. I figured I mostly just have it on for background noise, and I'm much more of a movie watcher than tv watcher.

Also, I'd say when I do watch tv, that the vast majority of what I watch is on ABC, NBC, FOX, etc....Between that and that I have Gamecenter to watch the Pens on, I decided to cut costs.

So here is the predicament. How do I get over the air HD? Or over the air anything?

Panasonic Viera TC-P42X1 is the model number, and it has a built-in HDTV Tuner.

I went to antennaweb.com and it showed around 10 different channels I should be able to pick up from my place from around 25-45 miles away.

When I tried to auto scan, nothing got picked up.

Are the channels just too far? Is it because of tv positioning? Or am I missing some simple step to get the tuner to find stuff?

I switched the Input from the HDMI to just "TV" before I did it, and even tried it with my tv unplugged from my receiver to ensure it wasn't some random thing.

I also tried searching for old threads, but no dice.

Do I have any recourse, or am I out of luck?

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 01:36 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Ryantology

Well, if you are sure this tv has a digital tuner then it's probably a configuration issue.

I set up a vizio for someone a few months ago and you had to tell it in the menu analog or digital during channel seeking/scanning. It could be trying to look for analog pre DTV transition channels because it is configured to do so.

Look around for a digital/analog option during scaning.

Also you may have a junky antenna.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 02:09 AM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
Well, if you are sure this tv has a digital tuner then it's probably a configuration issue.

I set up a vizio for someone a few months ago and you had to tell it in the menu analog or digital during channel seeking/scanning. It could be trying to look for analog pre DTV transition channels because it is configured to do so.

Look around for a digital/analog option during scaning.

Also you may have a junky antenna.
Yeah, I tried having it scan for JUST analog and JUST digital. Still nothing.

You may be onto something about the analog pre-DTV transition channels. Hmm.

I'll probably just sleep on it and go to that avforums whatever site tomorrow if nobody has any other simple things to check.

Last edited by invictus: 04-04-2010 at 02:39 AM.
Old
04-04-2010, 07:28 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ

Good for you, I've been saying for years that cable is an unnecessary want and not a need.

The HDTV downstairs, all it needs is an antenna connected to it, and now everything's in HD.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 07:56 AM
theotis77

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
So, I decided to get rid of cable. I figured I mostly just have it on for background noise, and I'm much more of a movie watcher than tv watcher.

Also, I'd say when I do watch tv, that the vast majority of what I watch is on ABC, NBC, FOX, etc....Between that and that I have Gamecenter to watch the Pens on, I decided to cut costs.

So here is the predicament. How do I get over the air HD? Or over the air anything?

Panasonic Viera TC-P42X1 is the model number, and it has a built-in HDTV Tuner.

I went to antennaweb.com and it showed around 10 different channels I should be able to pick up from my place from around 25-45 miles away.

When I tried to auto scan, nothing got picked up.

Are the channels just too far? Is it because of tv positioning? Or am I missing some simple step to get the tuner to find stuff?

I switched the Input from the HDMI to just "TV" before I did it, and even tried it with my tv unplugged from my receiver to ensure it wasn't some random thing.

I also tried searching for old threads, but no dice.

Do I have any recourse, or am I out of luck?
What kind of antenna do you have plugged in? Is it a dual VHF/UHF antenna? After the transition to digital, many stations went back to their VHF channel as their primary frequency, so you need an antenna that handles both.

Also, UHF channels can be extremely directional, so use antennaweb to find out where your towers are, and try pointing the UHF loop in that direction.

theotis77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 02:11 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AroJay View Post
What kind of antenna do you have plugged in? Is it a dual VHF/UHF antenna? After the transition to digital, many stations went back to their VHF channel as their primary frequency, so you need an antenna that handles both.

Also, UHF channels can be extremely directional, so use antennaweb to find out where your towers are, and try pointing the UHF loop in that direction.
It is an RCA with an amplifier included. I took off the amplifier and re-scanned and it was perfect. Kind of random. I sort of want to do it again with the amplifier on in a different position.

So, I get CBS, ABC, 24 hour weather channel, 2 PBS's, and NBC.

No FOX though. I had it on my first scan, but only got it and one other. So I moved the antenna and got all the others besides it.

So, I figure life without FOX is doable now.

My cable/internet company told me that I have to pay a $20 fee to shut off my cable since they have to send out a technician to put a block on my line and make sure I don't still get cable. It is pretty much ******** and kind of pisses me off. $20 isn't a LOT, but dammit, I hate paying stupid fees.

Now, I just have to figure out how to get my surround sound to play through just my tv for these over-the-air channels. It says NO SIGNAL, and I'm not really sure what to do. I set this all up last May and haven't given much thought to the surround sound stuff sense. Sad times.

Old
04-04-2010, 03:19 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Good for you, I've been saying for years that cable is an unnecessary want and not a need.

The HDTV downstairs, all it needs is an antenna connected to it, and now everything's in HD.
That's great for you, but others need cable in order to see all the basic stations, for a variety of different reasons, not limited to living situation, lay of the land, or the clarity in which the station can be received.

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 03:21 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
That's great for you, but others need cable in order to see all the basic stations, for a variety of different reasons, not limited to living situation, lay of the land, or the clarity in which the station can be received.
That, and in Canada (or at least Montreal and it's surroundings), you won't get anything worth watching without at least basic cable.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 04:00 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Lol

When I was in Virginia Tech back in the day I had to go around with an antenna / dish setup due to complications...Used to be able to pick up CBS and NBC. However FOX and ABC didn't come in clear at all from Roanoke...so I can see why cable is needed.

However the quality of cable programming has decreased, and since I've pretty much graduated and moved back to MD now, where the reception for networks is pretty clear now, there's no need for cable. I've already ranted before on how useless cable is in the Lounge version of the "Should I quit cable" thread so there's no need for me to repeat my thoughts on the useless nature of cable here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
That, and in Canada (or at least Montreal and it's surroundings), you won't get anything worth watching without at least basic cable.
Prior Lounge discussion on useless nature of cable

Quote:
Is anyone else thinking about drastically reducing their television order if cable companies in Canada decide to gouge even more than they already do?
Gouge...you say?

Old
04-04-2010, 08:04 PM
invictus

Okay, finally got the surround sound to work. I got the fiber optic cable, and for some reason it would not acknowledge when plugged into the #1 slot for TV/GAME, but once I put it in #2, which says "CD", it works.

So, until I feel motivated enough to find the cord for my Logitech Universal, I'm back to using multiple remotes. Though, so far so good.

I figure I'll wait about a week to return my cable box, just in case I decide I completely can't live without it. However, I think I'll be good.

I'll keep you all posted (not that anyone cares, haha).

Old
04-04-2010, 09:16 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Ryantology

Quote:
$20 isn't a LOT, but dammit, I hate paying stupid fees.
Was it in your contract if you had one?

I would consider just not paying it or disputing the charge. If you had previously agreed to pay it that's one thing, but if they are doing like the cell phone companies of the 90's and trying to screw you over then simply don't pay it.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 06:17 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
Was it in your contract if you had one?

I would consider just not paying it or disputing the charge. If you had previously agreed to pay it that's one thing, but if they are doing like the cell phone companies of the 90's and trying to screw you over then simply don't pay it.
No, no contracts with this company. That is why they don't do any sweetheart deals with retention or anything. Their big selling point is that you can always leave whenever you want.

Though, you did make me think back, and I am certain nobody mentioned that this would be a fee when I signed up, and it isn't on their website anywhere. I think those 2 things combined would make at least a fairly strong argument that I shouldn't have to pay it, or to get a $20 credit on my account or whatever, right? Hmm.

Old
04-05-2010, 06:41 PM
SilverSeven

I was actually just looking at reducing my cable bill.

The $30 package has pretty much EVERYTHING I want, including a ton of HD channels.

BUT...no TSN. To get TSN I would have to get the $70 package. TSN is essential for me. But ****, its basically $40 a month, as the other channels I dont give a **** about.

Kinda upset about that. Trying to figure out what I am gonna do...

Question. If the Sens are on TSN....would CI show them in Ottawa?

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 06:51 PM
Bruins4Lifer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
No, you would need TSN. CI wouldn't show the game anywhere in Canada.

Bruins4Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 07:27 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
I was actually just looking at reducing my cable bill.

The $30 package has pretty much EVERYTHING I want, including a ton of HD channels.

BUT...no TSN. To get TSN I would have to get the $70 package. TSN is essential for me. But ****, its basically $40 a month, as the other channels I dont give a **** about.

Kinda upset about that. Trying to figure out what I am gonna do...

Your cable provider doesn't have a pick and choose your channel type plan?

Old
04-05-2010, 07:37 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Your cable provider doesn't have a pick and choose your channel type plan?
They do. TSN is about the only channel that you cant get on its own.

Im on Rogers btw.

Old
04-05-2010, 07:45 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
They do. TSN is about the only channel that you cant get on its own.

Im on Rogers btw.
Heh, I bet you can get Sportsnet!

Old
04-05-2010, 08:20 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Heh, I bet you can get Sportsnet!
All 4 included in basic.

Old
04-05-2010, 08:38 PM
bigred50

Quote:
All 4 included in basic.
Yet blacked out when showing NHL games....

Bah, I watch most games online now anyway and download the TV shows I'm actually interested. I gave up on cable long ago.

bigred50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 12:03 AM
LiquidClown

Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
I haven't had cable in over 3 years now and don't miss it. Anything I don't get on cable I'll watch on Hulu or snag via torrent.

That being said I'd highly recommend a Terk antenna as they work very well. This is the model I have and I love it.

http://www.amazon.com/Terk-Low-Profi...530083&sr=8-11

A few words of wisdom

1: Check out http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx to see where your signal is coming from

2: Don't buy in to the hype of an HD Antenna, there is absolutely NO difference between an older an antenna and one marked for "HD".

LiquidClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 08:29 AM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidClown View Post
I haven't had cable in over 3 years now and don't miss it. Anything I don't get on cable I'll watch on Hulu or snag via torrent.

That being said I'd highly recommend a Terk antenna as they work very well. This is the model I have and I love it.

http://www.amazon.com/Terk-Low-Profi...530083&sr=8-11

A few words of wisdom

1: Check out http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx to see where your signal is coming from

2: Don't buy in to the hype of an HD Antenna, there is absolutely NO difference between an older an antenna and one marked for "HD".
I used antennaweb before I even got my antenna. Good times.

I already have an RCA one that cost like $35. I'm sure yours is a good one, but since I pick up everything with only FOX being a tad fuzzy, I think I'll stick with it. Though I'll keep that one in mind if anyone else I know asks for an opinion.

Old
04-06-2010, 02:17 PM
LiquidClown

Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Quote:
I used antennaweb before I even got my antenna. Good times.

I already have an RCA one that cost like $35. I'm sure yours is a good one, but since I pick up everything with only FOX being a tad fuzzy, I think I'll stick with it. Though I'll keep that one in mind if anyone else I know asks for an opinion.

Ahhh gotcha. Who needs cable when you've got an antenna and the internet

LiquidClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 03:21 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidClown View Post
Ahhh gotcha. Who needs cable when you've got an antenna and the internet
Only problem with this is 1) delay and 2) clown networks don't want this to happen and keep taking their content off those sites, so sometimes it may be a challenge to find a game online when the networks are usually uncooperative.

Old
04-06-2010, 03:39 PM
avs1dacup

vCash: 134
How do you get your standard channels? If it's by plugging a cable into the wall, try adding -1 to the end of the channels on your tv. For me, my over the air HD is just that.

4 in CBS, 4-1 is CBS HD
7 is NBC, 7-1 is NBC HD
9 is NBC, 9-1 is NBC HD
13 is FOX, 31-1 is FOX HD
etc.

avs1dacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 07:25 PM
invictus

I decided to hold onto my cable box until the Pens are eliminated from the playoffs. I just don't want to have to rely on online feeds for the times their games are on Versus.

Though, I'm full prepared for the switch now! Thanks everybody.