HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michael Del Zotto

Old
04-05-2010, 10:29 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

vCash: 500
Michael Del Zotto

Surprising that no one has pointed out the improvement in MDZ's game since the Olympic break.

15 games
3 goals
8 assists
11 points
18:06 TOI

0.7333 Points per game

vs

61 games
6 goals
20 assists
26 points
19:25 TOI

0.4262 Points per game

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:32 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

He had a strong start and is having a strong finish. He middle season was brutal. Probably if you break it down there was a period of 45 games where he scored about 7 points and was -18.

Fatigue in his first NHL season was probably an issue.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:32 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Surprising that no one has pointed out the improvement in MDZ's game since the Olympic break.

15 games
3 goals
8 assists
11 points

0.7333 Points per game

vs

61 games
6 goals
20 assists
26 points

0.4262 Points per game
Statistically insignificant. 15 games ≠ large enough sample size.

/thread

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:33 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I'm glad that he's been a -1 since the break. I know people hate the +/- stat, but seeing where he was and where he's been must mean something.

Old
04-05-2010, 10:34 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAyten View Post
Statistically insignificant. 15 games ≠ large enough sample size.

/thread
So we can point out how others have improved since the Olympics, but not MDZ?

Stats or not, he's playing well, and isn't getting burned as frequently as he was. That's important. It shows that he's improving as a player.

Old
04-05-2010, 10:37 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Quote:
So we can point out how others have improved since the Olympics, but not MDZ?

Stats or not, he's playing well, and isn't getting burned as frequently as he was. That's important. It shows that he's improving as a player.
Defensively he's improving as expected being a rookie. Offensively he's been getting .3ish more ppg over 15 games, you can't infer his offensive skills have improved just from that.

The same applies to other Ranger players who've had this modest increase in scoring not just MDZ.

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:38 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Yep, he's been good. I think next season, when he's more adjusted to the NHL grind, he'll be more consistent throughout. Not having the condensed schedule should help as well.

Any way you slice it though, 10 goals and 40 points (optimistic projection) is fantastic for a 19 year old defenseman. Very, very glad we have him. If we can get Bobby Sanguinetti on the team and playing as he's capable, we'll have two excellent offensively oriented defenseman.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:39 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAyten View Post
Defensively he's improving as expected being a rookie. Offensively he's been getting .3ish more ppg over 15 game, you can't infer his offensive skills have improved just from that.

The same applies to other Ranger players who've had this modest increase in scoring not just MDZ.
Did anyone say his offensive skills have improved? No, it was just said that he has improved since the break in general. There's nothing wrong with that statement. It is a relatively small sample size, but who cares? No one is making projections based off of that small sample, which is the most frequent sample size error.

Old
04-05-2010, 10:41 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

If Sanguinetti pans out, the idea of MDZ and Sanguinetti both at the point on the PP would be my dream come true.

Old
04-05-2010, 10:54 AM
eco's bones

A lot of people really don't like the Poti comparisions with Sanguinetti but the more I've seen of him the more it seems on target. Del Zotto is going to be the better of the two. Sanguinetti is bigger but less physical, needs to work on his defense even more than MDZ and is going to put up some points but maybe not as many as people would like. He still should be a good player though. I also could see the Rangers try to move him.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:58 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
A lot of people really don't like the Poti comparisions with Sanguinetti but the more I've seen of him the more it seems on target. Del Zotto is going to be the better of the two. Sanguinetti is bigger but less physical, needs to work on his defense even more than MDZ and is going to put up some points but maybe not as many as people would like. He still should be a good player though. I also could see the Rangers try to move him.
I really hope the Poti comparison doesn't pan out. The biggest knock on Poti is effort and willing to muck it up. He has managed to revitalize his career by becoming a serviceable defensive defenseman. But to me that's a cop out and underachieving because he should be a very good offensive defenseman.

04-05-2010, 11:04 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Do you think he's ready for the NHL?

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 11:17 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
I dispute the notion that Sanguinetti has to work on his defense more than Del Zotto. I've been saying for some time that Sanguinetti isn't nearly as bad defensively as many believe, and I think his play in Hartford supports this. It's certainly going to take him some time to become accustomed to the NHL game, but his defense has come quite a long way.

To mullichicken above, I think he's very close to ready. In fact, I think he's ahead of where Matt Gilroy is. It's hard to say for sure when he's seen such little NHL action, but I think he could step in now. He's still going to make rookie mistakes, but I think he's capable of being a fine rookie defenseman.

Old
04-05-2010, 11:23 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I dispute the notion that Sanguinetti has to work on his defense more than Del Zotto. I've been saying for some time that Sanguinetti isn't nearly as bad defensively as many believe, and I think his play in Hartford supports this. It's certainly going to take him some time to become accustomed to the NHL game, but his defense has come quite a long way.

To mullichicken above, I think he's very close to ready. In fact, I think he's ahead of where Matt Gilroy is. It's hard to say for sure when he's seen such little NHL action, but I think he could step in now. He's still going to make rookie mistakes, but I think he's capable of being a fine rookie defenseman.
think he'd get the call if we get rid of one or more of Rosi/Redden?Girardi?

Old
04-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below:Glass's Skill

Quote:
I think it's just because based on how he started he's basically now just fulfilling what people were already saying about him. When he started so hot everyone was saying how great he was, then he cooled but no one was willing to take back some of the great things they thought or said about him and now that he's playing well again it's not as if people are too surprised. Very nice to see though, it's really incredible when you remember the kid is a 19 year old dman.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 11:28 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
think he'd get the call if we get rid of one or more of Rosi/Redden?Girardi?
Maybe. It depends on how many of those players get moved, and whether the organization wants to fast track McDonagh. I'm a big Sanguinetti fan, no doubt, but McDonagh is a better prospect.

If we don't hand McDonagh a spot next year and there's an actual competition for a defense spot (unlike Gilroy's nod), I'd expect Sanguinetti to seize it.

Old
04-05-2010, 11:28 AM
ReggieDunlop68
Hey Hanrahan!

Quote:
So, he should be -40 for the season?

ReggieDunlop68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 11:33 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Well, the stretch right before DZ's injury was expectedly bad for him. He was playing when he wasn't physically or mentally capable of doing it anymore. He's playing great again now because he's had plenty of time to rest. Next season should be a lot smoother for him, even better if they have a 7th D so he can be benched for maybe 10 games in the season. This season was also especially brutal for any rookie players trying to do a full season, because of the compressed schedule.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 11:33 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:

I agree with this wholeheartedly. In training camp and in the few games he's played in the NHL, it was Sanguinetti's defensive game that stood out as opposed to his offensive skills. His defense exceeded my expectations.

If not for Gilroy, I think Sangs would have made the team out of camp. Although Del Zotto and Gilroy outplayed him on the offensive side of the puck, Sanguinetti was worlds better than them defensively. The Gilroy signing still seems kind of redundant at this point.... I think that he did block Sanguinetti from securing a spot on the team. I just hope Sangs gets a fair chance next season.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 11:34 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Maybe. It depends on how many of those players get moved, and whether the organization wants to fast track McDonagh. I'm a big Sanguinetti fan, no doubt, but McDonagh is a better prospect.

If we don't hand McDonagh a spot next year and there's an actual competition for a defense spot (unlike Gilroy's nod), I'd expect Sanguinetti to seize it.
this could be far and away the most intreguing competition in camp this offseason

however, my skepticism about Dmen coming straight from NCAA to NHL was borderline confirmed with Gilroy...is there any reason to be cautious about putting McD straight into the NHL?

sorry for highkacking this thread into a Dprospect Q & A haha

Old
04-05-2010, 11:39 AM
ColonialsHockey10

MDZ is shooting the puck on the power play much more, and that is one of the reasons he is more effective. In the middle of the season all he thought about was passing, but lately he has been shooting whenever he can, and it's worked.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 11:46 AM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:

15 games
3 goals
8 assists
11 points

0.7333 Points per game

vs

61 games
6 goals
20 assists
26 points

0.4262 Points per game
Thanks for documenting. I had noticed. He's settling in -- not a rookie anymore.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 11:47 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
this could be far and away the most intreguing competition in camp this offseason

however, my skepticism about Dmen coming straight from NCAA to NHL was borderline confirmed with Gilroy...is there any reason to be cautious about putting McD straight into the NHL?

sorry for highkacking this thread into a Dprospect Q & A haha
Any reason for concern? The big one is always that the NCAA guys are unaccustomed to the grind of the NHL, and tend to tail off in the second half of the season. So that's always there, though it's certainly not a rule that applies to everyone.

Outside of that, in terms of physical ability and hockey sense, I think McDonagh is ready for the professional game. I'm more conservative than a lot of people when it comes to promoting prospects, so I'd much rather see McDonagh spend a full season in the AHL, with maybe a call up or two to get a sense of the NHL game.

Just my $.02.

Old
04-05-2010, 11:51 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Any reason for concern? The big one is always that the NCAA guys are unaccustomed to the grind of the NHL, and tend to tail off in the second half of the season. So that's always there, though it's certainly not a rule that applies to everyone.

Outside of that, in terms of physical ability and hockey sense, I think McDonagh is ready for the professional game. I'm more conservative than a lot of people when it comes to promoting prospects, so I'd much rather see McDonagh spend a full season in the AHL, with maybe a call up or two to get a sense of the NHL game.

Just my $.02.
I agree. The physical side of the game probably won't be an issue for McD, he's a horse. I think he'll need half a year of seasoning before he can make the jump, but if we're Redden-less to start the season, someone is going to have to step up.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 12:02 PM
LamoTheKid

Regardless of stats, I have to say, I'm impressed with Zottos passing. The kid seems to be able to thread the needle on the first pass. And the othe rnight when he kept the puck in the zone by knocking it out of mid air was just another example of his hand-eye skills. I love the kid, stats be damned. So I guess I'm a bit biased (my next jersey is a Zotto home).

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote