HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

April 2010 - Kaberle Discussion Thread Kaberle Kaberle Kaberle Kaberle

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2010, 12:55 PM
New Liskeard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie79 View Post
Agreed. For some reason... I just see the Ducks being involved to maximize Burke's return for Kaberle. Maybe Bobby Ryan is a pipe dream...maybe not tho..
I'm sure Wilson and Burke would love to aquire Ryan. I believe ole Fletch offered our first + something for Ryan a while back? I could see a Kaberle for Clarkson + trade happening, or maybe Kaberle to the Ducks for prospect + 1st then the 1st going to Chicago for Sharp/Vesteeg +. Burke has done some remarkable things since he's been here, i'm sure he has a few more tricks up his sleve.

Old
04-01-2010, 01:22 PM
HFpapi

The article was in the barrie examiner today, i came on here to report it but apparently we're a day behind...

Anyways pretty interesting i never knew there was tension between kaberle and RW (if its even true). I actually like Wilson as a coach but wouldnt mind it if he was fired instead, kabs was resigned and marleau was signed in the off-season

Old
04-01-2010, 01:30 PM
draeko17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post
Burke wouldn't ask Kaberle to waive his NTC but he would ask Wilson to lean on Kaberle to try and get him to want to move. Unfortunately it took to long and Kaberle is now starting to go public that he wants out right at the worst time when his NTC actually expires.

It probably won't effect his value that much but one year remaining on the contract reduces his value and knowing he wants out reduces his value.
When did this happen?

Old
04-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML4LIFE View Post
I'm sure Wilson and Burke would love to aquire Ryan. I believe ole Fletch offered our first + something for Ryan a while back? I could see a Kaberle for Clarkson + trade happening, or maybe Kaberle to the Ducks for prospect + 1st then the 1st going to Chicago for Sharp/Vesteeg +. Burke has done some remarkable things since he's been here, i'm sure he has a few more tricks up his sleve.
It was suppose to be Sundin for Ryan - but then the League stepped in because they knew Burke would be leaving Anaheim for Toronto.... As it seemed like Sundin refused to waive is NTC, but I'm sure there were atleast a few teams he would have went and played for... just not Montreal or Ottawa or wherever else good ole' Fletch wanted to trade him too..

Old
04-01-2010, 01:35 PM
Stats01

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
What is funny is that so many are claiming Kaberle is horrible and yet are looking for a good return on his trade.

If he's horrible don't expect anything more than a salary dump.
He's not horrible he's just been horrible the last 2 months, not sure what his issue is but he's definitely not the same player he was at the beginning of the season. His reputation will overcome any kind of 2 month bad spell, I still expect a good package for him.

Old
04-01-2010, 01:46 PM
weems

Quote:
It was suppose to be Sundin for Ryan - but then the League stepped in because they knew Burke would be leaving Anaheim for Toronto.... As it seemed like Sundin refused to waive is NTC, but I'm sure there were atleast a few teams he would have went and played for... just not Montreal or Ottawa or wherever else good ole' Fletch wanted to trade him too..
He's talking about a different proposal.

There was a HEAVY rumour at the start of last season that Fletcher offered our first rounder for Ryan. At the time many on here didnt like the idea because they thought Ryan was somewhat of a bust because he hadnt made the team fulltime. I think you are talking about a entirely different rumour.

Old
04-01-2010, 01:47 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=316308

Quote:
"I'm here to try and make guys better so you have to be a boss," he said. "There's kind of a way you turn it on and turn it off but in your casual conversations you're not a friend -- you're friendly.

He said he had "no issue" with Kaberle.

Following Tuesday's defeat at the hands of the Atlanta Thrashers, Wilson hinted strongly about the veteran defenceman when describing the loss.

"We talk about how solid our defence is and how well we're playing and we've still got guys who are minus-16 or whatever," Wilson said on Tuesday, referencing Kaberle's plus-minus. "They're supposed to be guys who get the job done defensively and they haven't improved their plus-minus over the past month when just about everybody else has."

Wilson said on Thursday that it was his duty as coach to call his players out.
Obviously, he has to call his players out in front of the media otherwise some might question his coaching.

Always pointing his finger in someone's direction, that Ronnie is. Been doing it for years, always screaming "look at him, look at him!"

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.

Babs - short for Barbara
Old
04-01-2010, 02:00 PM
ACC1224

Quote:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=316308

Obviously, he has to call his players out in front of the media otherwise some might question his coaching.

Always pointing his finger in someone's direction, that Ronnie is. Been doing it for years, always screaming "look at him, look at him!"
My memory may be fading, can you provide some examples of Coaches blaming themselves? Must be a ton of them out there.

Old
04-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
He's talking about a different proposal.

There was a HEAVY rumour at the start of last season that Fletcher offered our first rounder for Ryan. At the time many on here didnt like the idea because they thought Ryan was somewhat of a bust because he hadnt made the team fulltime. I think you are talking about a entirely different rumour.
I never heard the rumour about a first rounder for Ryan...I did hear the Sundin/Ryan rumour and infact witnessed Kipper talking about it on hockey central. Either way..there were talks between Grand Pa Cliffy and Burkie (during his tenure as the ducks gm) ....

Having said that, I hope Burke persues Ryan... just my two cents

Old
04-01-2010, 02:49 PM
daveleaf

Quote:
I never heard the rumour about a first rounder for Ryan...I did hear the Sundin/Ryan rumour and infact witnessed Kipper talking about it on hockey central. Either way..there were talks between Grand Pa Cliffy and Burkie (during his tenure as the ducks gm) ....

Having said that, I hope Burke persues Ryan... just my two cents
Can TO afford 11mill per season for two forwards for the next four or five years with no real front line centre? It would definitely make them dangerous on the first two lines but I think it would take quite a bit to get him, more then just Kaberle. If TO had to give up two first rounds and a second to get a good young forward with similar numbers in Kessel then what would it take to get Ryan? No first or second this year and no first next year. I just don't see it happening because Anaheim has 20mill in cap space available to them and why would they trade him. I still think a guy like Brad Richards who is a big cap hit and Dallas also saying they will be well below their cap number, somewhere in the 45mil mark. So, I think he could be available but there would be a lot of competition for him. He would make Kessel better and Bozak. Now, if I'm stuck with Richards, Kadri and Bozak my first three centres next year I could definitely live with that. I would like Carter but something tells me Florida has the inside scoop with him with Philly needing a first line goalie like Vokoun.

What is wrong with the Caps deal that was rumoured at the trade dealine for Kabs. Fleischman, Alzner and a first round pic? Sounds like a pretty good deal.

Somewhere around here I heard that Pitt might take a run at Kabs in the off season since they might not be able to afford him and Burke would then try and entice Gonchar to sign. Wouldn't young Staal look good on this team? Staal, Kadri and Bozak....now there is a nice young group of centre men.

Old
04-01-2010, 03:04 PM
Johny Drama

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleeney View Post
Yup.

Simmons is at it again. When was the last time that this arse-hole wrote anything that had a positive impact on the team?

This guy spends his time looking for controversy, for dissention, for any reason to criticize.

He's a parasite making a living by stirring up *****.

Now he's made Kaberle's last few weeks in a Leaf uniform even more uncomfortable, by having reporters thrusting microphones in his face.

I hope he's happy. If I were a member of the team and he asked me a question, I'd tell him to go to hell.

Completely agree. I honestly think Burke is telling everyone he has no intention of asking Kaberle to wave his no-trade contract, as he respects the fact kaberle is a private guy and doesnt want him to face a media hord every day asking if he is going to wave it. I'd be willing to bet BB isnt happy about this article either.

Old
04-01-2010, 03:57 PM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post
Can TO afford 11mill per season for two forwards for the next four or five years with no real front line centre? It would definitely make them dangerous on the first two lines but I think it would take quite a bit to get him, more then just Kaberle. If TO had to give up two first rounds and a second to get a good young forward with similar numbers in Kessel then what would it take to get Ryan? No first or second this year and no first next year. I just don't see it happening because Anaheim has 20mill in cap space available to them and why would they trade him. I still think a guy like Brad Richards who is a big cap hit and Dallas also saying they will be well below their cap number, somewhere in the 45mil mark. So, I think he could be available but there would be a lot of competition for him. He would make Kessel better and Bozak. Now, if I'm stuck with Richards, Kadri and Bozak my first three centres next year I could definitely live with that. I would like Carter but something tells me Florida has the inside scoop with him with Philly needing a first line goalie like Vokoun.

What is wrong with the Caps deal that was rumoured at the trade dealine for Kabs. Fleischman, Alzner and a first round pic? Sounds like a pretty good deal.

Somewhere around here I heard that Pitt might take a run at Kabs in the off season since they might not be able to afford him and Burke would then try and entice Gonchar to sign. Wouldn't young Staal look good on this team? Staal, Kadri and Bozak....now there is a nice young group of centre men.
Great Post. I believe in dynamic duos in this new NHL era.. ala crosby/malkin, toews/kane, ovechkin/backstrom, and for some reason I could see Ryan/Kessel... Ryan is a big boy... we could have a line similar to some other big successful lines set up that way. If you remember Burke had the westcoast express --- naslund (kessel), morrison (bozak?), bertuzzi (ryan?)... just an example of a skill sniper , play making center and a power forward..

As per Jordan Staal - I'd be in awe if we landed him for Kaberle. I believe Staal is more of a captain then Phaneuf would be. Staal has made it to the finals with Crosby - TWICE, one it ONCE. He knows what it takes to lead I bet and what a team needs to win. He's be a crucial piece to our future stanley cup team.

As for the washington trade -it's oook...but I wouldn't trade Kaberle to an eastern team unless a Jordan Staal was coming back. period. **** off and go to the west Kaberle.

Brad Richards --- He's another potential captain, winning it all with Tampa...and knowing how to lead/what it takes for a young team to do well in the playoffs...

again my two cents. thoughts?

Old
04-01-2010, 04:02 PM
daveleaf

Quote:
Great Post. I believe in dynamic duos in this new NHL era.. ala crosby/malkin, toews/kane, ovechkin/backstrom, and for some reason I could see Ryan/Kessel... Ryan is a big boy... we could have a line similar to some other big successful lines set up that way. If you remember Burke had the westcoast express --- naslund (kessel), morrison (bozak?), bertuzzi (ryan?)... just an example of a skill sniper , play making center and a power forward..

As per Jordan Staal - I'd be in awe if we landed him for Kaberle. I believe Staal is more of a captain then Phaneuf would be. Staal has made it to the finals with Crosby - TWICE, one it ONCE. He knows what it takes to lead I bet and what a team needs to win. He's be a crucial piece to our future stanley cup team.

As for the washington trade -it's oook...but I wouldn't trade Kaberle to an eastern team unless a Jordan Staal was coming back. period. **** off and go to the west Kaberle.

Brad Richards --- He's another potential captain, winning it all with Tampa...and knowing how to lead/what it takes for a young team to do well in the playoffs...

again my two cents. thoughts?
I take young Staal in a heart beat. I don't think they can afford him. Would Kaberle and Gabrovski combo be able to land him and maybe eat a contract for them as well. Can't afford to keep them all. Lemieux will talk Kaberle into signing a long term deal.

Old
04-01-2010, 06:20 PM
Mojo19
GOlf LEAFS GOlf!

What about Kaberle to Detroit?

Lidstrom is a UFA this summer, I'm sure they will want to resign him. But do you think he will want to stick around? Niklas will be 40 years old in less than a month... might he be looking into retirement?
Also... Brian Rafalski is signed on for two more years, but is 35. He might be looking into retirement at the end of his current contract too.

Something like this might work...

To DET
Tomas Kaberle

To TOR
Darren Helm
Landon Ferraro
2nd Round 2010 (Devante Smith-Pelley, anyone?)

or

Landon Ferraro/Darren Helm
1st Round 2010 (Jeff Skinner, Ryan Martindale or Tyler Toffoil, anyone?)

Old
04-02-2010, 01:10 AM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post

I think it wil be easier to get Ryan out of ANH than it will be to get Staal out of PIT.

What would it take to get Ryan?

Well Kabs, Stalberg and Grabovski would be a good start. Might be enough.

To get Staal, Kabs and Bozak might be a starting point, but it wil cost more than that.

I would have no problem parting with any of those players.

Before anyone gets up in arms about moving some good prospects, Leafs nation needs to remember that this is still a team that has only 1 bonafide 1st line player.

Old
04-02-2010, 03:23 AM
Dutch Dreams

Ryan would not form part of any 'dynamic duo' here. Most likely they would never really play together. You know, I like this Alzner for Kaberle deal more and more. We could play the guy next season and have a solid as **** defenseive core, and then after possibly gaining value - have a solid asset to deal after next year as an RFA. So we get Alzner, who possibly could have more interesting value than Kaberle as he's young and has lockable value as an RFA.... though that kind of speculation could hurt us, and him more importantly as we've got a bunch of guys like him on our team which I imagine would relegate him to a minor role or necessitate a trade which is unlikely now with Beauchemin/Komisarek having low value at the moment....

Old
04-02-2010, 10:05 AM
Mojo19
GOlf LEAFS GOlf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Dreams View Post
Ryan would not form part of any 'dynamic duo' here. Most likely they would never really play together. You know, I like this Alzner for Kaberle deal more and more. We could play the guy next season and have a solid as **** defenseive core, and then after possibly gaining value - have a solid asset to deal after next year as an RFA. So we get Alzner, who possibly could have more interesting value than Kaberle as he's young and has lockable value as an RFA.... though that kind of speculation could hurt us, and him more importantly as we've got a bunch of guys like him on our team which I imagine would relegate him to a minor role or necessitate a trade which is unlikely now with Beauchemin/Komisarek having low value at the moment....
I agree with this...

Especially considering the deal wasn't JUST for Alzner. The deal that was apparently on the table was Alzner, Fleischmann (top 6 forward) and a 1st Round 2010 (could pick up Toffoli, Skinner, etc). Burke was stupid not to take that deal IMO (if Kaberle actually would have waived, assuming he didn't want to though), he'll be lucky to get anything that good again.

And having Alzner would definitely make Beauchemin tradeable in the next few years if required.

Old
04-02-2010, 12:02 PM
obiwan

I found it interesting that Simmons told Burke the night before that he was posting the article. Looks like they have a good relationship.

I dont buy that Kaberle hates Wilson, but I dont think they are bosom buddies either.

Old
04-02-2010, 01:46 PM
gabeliscious

Quote:
Originally Posted by obiwan View Post
I found it interesting that Simmons told Burke the night before that he was posting the article. Looks like they have a good relationship.

I dont buy that Kaberle hates Wilson, but I dont think they are bosom buddies either.
i agree, i find it hard to believe kaberle would be confrontational enough to have a big enough beef with wilson that the papers would get wind. imo this is pure speculation based on nothing more then poor play by kaberle lately and a reduction in icetime from wilson.

my gut tells me kabs is gone in the off season but it has more to do with where burke is taking the team then wilson having some hatred for the guy

Old
04-02-2010, 01:56 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by obiwan View Post

Not a fan of Simmons one bit, but that may be the only intilegent thing he has ever done IMO. Must have a legit source worthy enough to inform Burke he was going to write a story on it. Kaberle IMO will be traded at the draft; keeping him long term with the Leafs on a good deal wouldn't be bad either.

Old
04-02-2010, 07:38 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Not a fan of Simmons one bit, but that may be the only intilegent thing he has ever done IMO. Must have a legit source worthy enough to inform Burke he was going to write a story on it. Kaberle IMO will be traded at the draft; keeping him long term with the Leafs on a good deal wouldn't be bad either.
Keeping him long term, if the plan is replace RW makes sense.

I don't see the team getting value out of TK if RW is pulling the strings.

I've seen RW stare daggers at TK after something does not go right. RW really can't hide his emotions, pretty obvious how he's feeling about players. The way he hands out ice time also shows his bias. And let's not suggest he doesn't have bias, unless he's a machine without emotion, which, as I stated, would be bunk.

Old
04-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Revolt

Re-sign kaberle, sign a top 6 forward as a UFA, let the kids grow as a team. I think we're making the playoffs if we land one top 6 forward so that we have 2 scoring lines.

Honestly, i wish Burke would get Kovalchuk. If he signed for 6.5-7m a year (Unlikely i know)

Kessel-Bozak-Kulemin
Kovalchuk-Kadri-Stalberg

Amazing D-Core, solid goaltending. Makes the palyoffs for sure, imo

Old
04-02-2010, 10:57 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Keeping him long term, if the plan is replace RW makes sense.

I don't see the team getting value out of TK if RW is pulling the strings.

I've seen RW stare daggers at TK after something does not go right. RW really can't hide his emotions, pretty obvious how he's feeling about players. The way he hands out ice time also shows his bias. And let's not suggest he doesn't have bias, unless he's a machine without emotion, which, as I stated, would be bunk.
It's unfortunate, but completely true. Not a fan of Wilson at all, and wouldn't be upset to see him go.

Old
04-02-2010, 11:05 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
It's unfortunate, but completely true. Not a fan of Wilson at all, and wouldn't be upset to see him go.
Although I do not like RW, if he stays I hope they grant parole to the players he doesn't like.

It is a waste of an asset if the coach doesn't like him and conciously or unconciously undermines their games.

We know RW can take a shine to some players, and pretty obvious from comments out of San Jose the opposite holds true. Actually, only logical that if he spends an inordinate amount of time with Grabovski he isn't spending an inordinate amount of time with someone he dislikes.

Old
04-03-2010, 08:10 AM
Turk Broda

Quote:
Me neither. At the trade deadline he said that Colorado traded Wolski for absolutely nothing. Then after Mueller starts playing well with Colorado he posts on his twitter that "some people didn't think the Mueller was worth much" as if he wasn't one of them...uhhhh how bout you man up Simmons! The guy has no accountability, I hate that. Make mistakes fine, but admit to them when you do.

Closed Thread