HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

April 2010 - Kaberle Discussion Thread Kaberle Kaberle Kaberle Kaberle

Closed Thread

Old
04-05-2010, 06:27 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

vCash: 500
Drayson Bowman, Erik Cole and 2nd for Kaberle.

Old
04-05-2010, 06:35 PM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacho View Post
Admit I know nothing about Bowman but that would be a horrible return for Kaberle. I would keep him if that is all there is.

Old
04-05-2010, 09:02 PM
BillysDeadMcgarnagle

Ek rumours

I honestly don't know what to think of brendan sutter. Sure he may have a solid future but why would erik cole be of any interest to the leafs. Remember guys, we never were able to get anything for Sundin, so kaberle is the last piece of the Quinn/JFJ era that we can actually use for some long term good. I personally still cannot get over that we never got Brayden Schenn so if there were to be a way we can pull him out of LA I say do it.

If we were to send Kaber to CAR we need to snag their lottery pick AND sutter. Getting those 2 would probably be too much for kaberle alone but if it's just a case of sprinkling something on top of Kaberle to make it fly then you got yerself a stew.

Everyone says Buffalo is a possibility...but honestly, what can they give us?

Would you guys also send Kaberle + for Bobby Ryan, how much would that cost us to get him, I'd rather him over Patrick Sharp, no offence to patty but B.R. is damn good

Old
04-05-2010, 09:06 PM
bobermay

I made a similar proposal earlier in a different thread.

To Columbus:
Tomas Kaberle
John Mitchell

To Toronto:
Kristian Huselius
Cody Goulebef

IMHO, Kaberle has played himself off this team for next season. He's been downright BRUTAL, the past 15+ games.... His trade value is diminishing rapidly, and we'd be lucky to get this package IMHO.

I think that we won't get a blue chipper for Kabby now... we'd be lucky to get a top end veteran tallent of Huselius's skill, and I'd love this trade.

Old
04-05-2010, 09:18 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

So it sounds like TK is putting the screws to RW.

Diminish the return to almost nothing to help the team he's going to retain the best talent.

Nice going Wilson!

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
04-05-2010, 09:28 PM
TheSilencer

To be honest i'll be more than happy with Fleischmann + Alzner for Kaberle

I don't think Burke will be interested in making a deal with Sabres...No one is completely sold on Stafford..And Derek Roy is wayy too small to be in Burke's radar

Anyone thinks we could pry David Backes or Berglund out of St louis? they seem like the perfect types of player Burke could go after

I'd love to get Cody Hodgson (+) for Kaberle..but i think we might have to add a little more

Old
04-05-2010, 09:37 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Kabs always seems to play well in Montreal.

Old
04-05-2010, 09:40 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobermay View Post
I made a similar proposal earlier in a different thread.

To Columbus:
Tomas Kaberle
John Mitchell

To Toronto:
Kristian Huselius
Cody Goulebef

IMHO, Kaberle has played himself off this team for next season. He's been downright BRUTAL, the past 15+ games.... His trade value is diminishing rapidly, and we'd be lucky to get this package IMHO.

I think that we won't get a blue chipper for Kabby now... we'd be lucky to get a top end veteran tallent of Huselius's skill, and I'd love this trade.
I don't think a club trading for Kaberle is going to base the acquisition on the last 15 games. And I doubt BB is interested in a 31 year old veteran with no physical aspect to his game. Not the Huselius doesn't have game but they won't be adding any more soft offensive type guys. Why trade Poni then?

Goloubef isn't big and doesn't score so I am not sure what his draw is. He was drafted for skating and offense but the scoring never surfaced in his College game. They have no need for another defense prospect with no offensive upside.

Maybe he doesn't bring the return some of us are expecting but I think you are ignoring the type of players Burke wants on his club. Starting with someone younger and more physical than Huselius in the top 6.

Old
04-05-2010, 09:48 PM
bobermay

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuck View Post
I don't think a club trading for Kaberle is going to base the acquisition on the last 15 games. And I doubt BB is interested in a 31 year old veteran with no physical aspect to his game. Not the Huselius doesn't have game but they won't be adding any more soft offensive type guys. Why trade Poni then?

Goloubef isn't big and doesn't score so I am not sure what his draw is. He was drafted for skating and offense but the scoring never surfaced in his College game. They have no need for another defense prospect with no offensive upside.

Maybe he doesn't bring the return some of us are expecting but I think you are ignoring the type of players Burke wants on his club. Starting with someone younger and more physical than Huselius in the top 6.
Dude, I'm not ignoring anything. Burke has said he's looking for skilled guys in the top six. He doesn't look for physical guys in the top six, but SKILLED guys. I'm trying to be realistic, because Kaberle isn't worth nearly what many leaf fans think he is. He really isn't anything special except for his puck moving abilities... but even this is overrated. He's supposed to be a PPQB wizard. Look what he's done for this team the past 2 months.

There arn't many teams that find a 32 year old one dimensional defencman with 1 year left on his contract very intriguing. I'm questioning whose being ignorant or not...

Huselius is a freaking 65-70 point getter, and a 20+ goal scorer. He makes things happen. He has size, he just isn't a physical presense and thats fine. We don't need that in the top six.

Old
04-05-2010, 09:57 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Kaberle is the most important player on the Leafs PP.

If he isn't going there isn't any other player with any talent to make a difference.

Old
04-05-2010, 10:00 PM
Kesselisboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Kaberle is the most important player on the Leafs PP.

If he isn't going there isn't any other player with any talent to make a difference.
the most important player for the leafs pp on a team with the worst powerplay in the league......

Old
04-05-2010, 10:05 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesselisboss View Post
the most important player for the leafs pp on a team with the worst powerplay in the league......
Well, yes. He is not having a great time right now.

And let's face it, there is no other capable PP player on the team.

Kabs is on his own.

Old
04-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Kesselisboss

Phaneuf is a capable PP guy. Ive been preaching him and gunnerson on the powerplay would be great! heck even Phaneuf and a forward playing the point on the powerplay would be great

And i dont think anything is really Key to a teams sucess when there 29th in the league...if you leave him and the pp gets worse..were still not worse than edmonton and we will probably have a decent forward.

Old
04-05-2010, 10:12 PM
BillysDeadMcgarnagle

Kaberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShirtss View Post
To be honest i'll be more than happy with Fleischmann + Alzner for Kaberle

I don't think Burke will be interested in making a deal with Sabres...No one is completely sold on Stafford..And Derek Roy is wayy too small to be in Burke's radar

Anyone thinks we could pry David Backes or Berglund out of St louis? they seem like the perfect types of player Burke could go after

I'd love to get Cody Hodgson (+) for Kaberle..but i think we might have to add a little more
Yes! I would love to see Backes AND Berglund in Blue and White. As usual I'll throw Grabo and Kaber out there in exchange for both of em....

...What are we to do with Jeff Finger: You gotta figure if Burke can dump guys like Toskala and Blake then surely somebody out there will take this guy.

Old
04-05-2010, 10:14 PM
Kesselisboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillysDeadMcgarnagle View Post
Yes! I would love to see Backes AND Berglund in Blue and White. As usual I'll throw Grabo and Kaber out there in exchange for both of em....

...What are we to do with Jeff Finger: You gotta figure if Burke can dump guys like Toskala and Blake then surely somebody out there will take this guy.
Why cant we just buy him out? sure itll cost us but really...id like him to leave and never come back.

Old
04-05-2010, 10:17 PM
Kesselisboss

Quote:
I honestly don't know what to think of brendan sutter. Sure he may have a solid future but why would erik cole be of any interest to the leafs. Remember guys, we never were able to get anything for Sundin, so kaberle is the last piece of the Quinn/JFJ era that we can actually use for some long term good. I personally still cannot get over that we never got Brayden Schenn so if there were to be a way we can pull him out of LA I say do it.

If we were to send Kaber to CAR we need to snag their lottery pick AND sutter. Getting those 2 would probably be too much for kaberle alone but if it's just a case of sprinkling something on top of Kaberle to make it fly then you got yerself a stew.

Everyone says Buffalo is a possibility...but honestly, what can they give us?

Would you guys also send Kaberle + for Bobby Ryan, how much would that cost us to get him, I'd rather him over Patrick Sharp, no offence to patty but B.R. is damn good
Honestly as long as we keep Kessel, kadri, Schenn, Phaneuf, Gustavsson...id pretty much give up anything for Brayden Schenn! I want him to be our mike richards

Old
04-05-2010, 10:26 PM
BillysDeadMcgarnagle

Quote:
Honestly as long as we keep Kessel, kadri, Schenn, Phaneuf, Gustavsson...id pretty much give up anything for Brayden Schenn! I want him to be our mike richards
True, Mike Richards comes to mind when thinking of young Schenn's potential

Old
04-05-2010, 10:27 PM
ErikP803

my dream

To Toronto:
CAR 1rst rounder (+prospects?)

To Carolina
Kaberle (+prospects?)

Then since their pick is a lottery pick, we end up getting either 1st or 2nd overall and leap ahead of Boston to take either Hall or Seguin.

Old
04-05-2010, 10:33 PM
Kesselisboss

Quote:
True, Mike Richards comes to mind when thinking of young Schenn's potential
and Bozak can be our Carter .....and kadri wil become our winger (anyone see his penalty shot goal...soo sick)

Does anything think that we could give Kaberle+Stefanovich+ Caputi for Brayden Schenn+ Justin Williams+ Scuderi. Two salary dumps and a potential star. They then would have enough cap space two sign marleau and Kovulchuck :S...anyone think a Kopitar Marleau, Kovi, Kaberle, Doughty would be the BEST powerplay in the NHL...and scares the living **** out of me

Anyway id love to have Schenn on this team and I dont think we give up all that much to get him. Thoughts?

Old
04-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Kesselisboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikP803 View Post
my dream

To Toronto:
CAR 1rst rounder (+prospects?)

To Carolina
Kaberle (+prospects?)

Then since their pick is a lottery pick, we end up getting either 1st or 2nd overall and leap ahead of Boston to take either Hall or Seguin.
I drool over that idea...but has your mother told you your crazy yet? haha no offence but kadri would have to be in on that deal for them to even think about it.

Old
04-05-2010, 11:29 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobermay View Post
Dude, I'm not ignoring anything. Burke has said he's looking for skilled guys in the top six. He doesn't look for physical guys in the top six, but SKILLED guys. I'm trying to be realistic, because Kaberle isn't worth nearly what many leaf fans think he is. He really isn't anything special except for his puck moving abilities... but even this is overrated. He's supposed to be a PPQB wizard. Look what he's done for this team the past 2 months.

There arn't many teams that find a 32 year old one dimensional defencman with 1 year left on his contract very intriguing. I'm questioning whose being ignorant or not...

Huselius is a freaking 65-70 point getter, and a 20+ goal scorer. He makes things happen. He has size, he just isn't a physical presense and thats fine. We don't need that in the top six.
Dood Per his radio interview Burke says he wants "a top 6 forward with size", and Huselius is 6'1 185. That's not size except in Montreal and Hobbiton. Way smaller than Poni and except for 06-07 not really more skilled. He is signed for $4,750,000 for 2 more years which is more than Poni would have cost to keep. And he is two years older. Burke didn't get rid of Ponikarovsky to make the team smaller and older. Huselius can play, no question and when BB says he wants a top 6 guy that implies decent offensive skills, but last Saturday the word he used was size not skill, and on a club with Stalberg, Hanson, and Kulemin that probably means a lot bigger than Huselius.

I was mostly getting at the type of return, rather than the value you are proposing. I don't see him adding a 32 year old unless he is maybe a power forward, and on a club with Schenn, Komi and Aulie waiting in the wings, he would be looking for puck moving defenseman.

For the value, I can only use deals like Campbell and Boyle. Here is the line on Boyle before Tampa dealt him.

22 Dan Boyle 1976-07-12 31 D 37 4 21 25 57 -29

He brought a late first round pick and Carle who was on the All Rookie team 2 years before.

18 Matt Carle 1984-09-25 21 D 77 11 31 42 30 9
18 Matt Carle 1984-09-25 22 D 62 2 13 15 26 -8

Campbell was a pure rental and brought only the pick, also a late first. The Isles traded Campoli and Comrie for a late first. Based on these I think Kaberle is going to return a late first and a good prospect. Given that Huselius might be worth a first himself, and Goloubef, according to you, is a good prospect, then we aren't even disagreeing on the value, just the kind of things the Leafs might want coming back.

Most clubs aren't going to be in the market for Kaberle, as he should be more attractive to a contender and given their own defensive issues this year, I think these things rule out the Jackets.
A playoff club in the eastern division and maybe one or two clubs in the west might like him so less than 10 teams total before you cross off the ones with no need at all for a PMD. That leaves a pretty short list of buyers so maybe I won't be surprised by whatever he brings back.

Old
04-06-2010, 01:04 AM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Why cant we just buy him out? sure itll cost us but really...id like him to leave and never come back.
Buying him out doesn't eliminate his cap hit. The only way to get free of that is to trade him or send him to the minors and pay him $3 million to play there. Others have speculated Burke might do that if he needed Fingers cap space to add another player. Given Burkes treatment and patience with his vets, I don't know if he would demote him. I guess we may find out this summer. The club can afford it. The only concern is the message it might send to perspective future Leafs.

Old
04-06-2010, 03:00 AM
spynes

As we have stated (also burke stated), we want a big first liner (probably young)

So off the top of my head is:

Staal
B. Schenn
Sutter
Ryan

And i think we can afford to deal alot for 1 of them (mix and match 4 of these)

Kabs
Grabo
D'Amigo (sell high)
Aulie
Kenny Ryan
Stefanovich
+ Picks

it may seem like alot but our team is really young already so most of the farm right now has to compete with Stalberg, Caputi, Hanson, Bozak, Kadri, Schenn, Gunnar and now Irwin

now the question: is the farm better then the NCAA signings?

I say the draft picks have more value to trade due to other teams scouted them for their draft and the fact that the NCAA players signed here out of faith and if we keep that faith we could have first dibs at future free signings in NCAA and CHL

Old
04-06-2010, 03:09 AM
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacho View Post
Bowman is nothing special. Trust me. I've followed him for a while, and I've even caught some Carolina games. I don't see anything that stands out in him. Not saying he's a bad player, but not worth acquiring.

How about someone like Tuomo Ruutu ?

I like Ruutu a lot. I know he brings a physical element, a PF presence, with the ability to score and provide leadership. He'll improve our team, for sure. Also important to note is that he's only 27. He's had injury problems throughout his career though.

04-06-2010, 03:42 AM
facey

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slave View Post
Bowman is nothing special. Trust me. I've followed him for a while, and I've even caught some Carolina games. I don't see anything that stands out in him. Not saying he's a bad player, but not worth acquiring.

How about someone like Tuomo Ruutu ?

I like Ruutu a lot. I know he brings a physical element, a PF presence, with the ability to score and provide leadership. He'll improve our team, for sure. Also important to note is that he's only 27. He's had injury problems throughout his career though.
this doesn't sound like someone who has followed bowman.

i've watched bowman on multiple occasions in the WHL (all spokane vs van), always had the attention of the team on him, and he only seemed to thrive as the physical play picked up, he has a nasty side to his game as well (107PIMS, while leading his team in G,A & pts), he's a natural goal scorer, you won't be wowed with his hands or vision, however he gets the puck to the back of the net on a regular basis, he'll go to all the tough areas of the rink, this is shown by back to back 40+ goal WHL campaigns.

with that said, brandon sutter would be amazing return for kabs, sutter is going to be a very good NHLer for a very long time, pedigree, size, work ethic & skill.... if you currently like Kules you'll LOVE brandon.

Closed Thread