HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

April 2010 - Kaberle Discussion Thread Kaberle Kaberle Kaberle Kaberle

Closed Thread

Old
04-06-2010, 08:44 AM
gabeliscious

vCash: 500
there is absolutely zero reason for carolina to trade either their 1st round pick or sutter. anyone who is entertaining either should give their head a shake.

question to all those aboard the trade kabs train:

would you trade kaberle straight up for a 1st round pick in the 10-15 range?

while it might seem like not great value we would have an extra $4.2 million in cap space. if we would be able to make finger disappear and potentially trade grabs to move up a few spots to say 8-10 in the draft we would then have over $10.5 million just in those moves to sign someone like marleau or bank for the future. im not sure who people like in the 8-10 range in the draft but surely we would be able to land someone with top 6 forward potential?

Old
04-06-2010, 08:54 AM
daveleaf

Kaberle trade rumor......another one.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...e-Rask/1/27457

I think the guy is worth a little more than people are giving him credit for. I still think TO is going young and strong and Kabs wants to stay in the east.

Old
04-06-2010, 09:12 AM
jimmyjames

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post

I think the guy is worth a little more than people are giving him credit for. I still think TO is going young and strong and Kabs wants to stay in the east.
it's eklund....

i like brandon sutter, but i see zero point in picking up cole.

Old
04-06-2010, 09:17 AM
daveleaf

That is life in the NHL these days. To get something you have to take a contract off them in return. Cole would help with some of the younger forwards. It's too bad he can't regain his form from a few years ago but I am sure many people are hoping for that. I found it more interesting that the idea of Carolina's first pic was in there as well. I cringe every time I hear of a top defensive prospect because I know they are after Gunnerson. Leafs need to hang onto that guy.

Old
04-06-2010, 09:22 AM
jimmyjames

Quote:
That is life in the NHL these days. To get something you have to take a contract off them in return. Cole would help with some of the younger forwards. It's too bad he can't regain his form from a few years ago but I am sure many people are hoping for that. I found it more interesting that the idea of Carolina's first pic was in there as well. I cringe every time I hear of a top defensive prospect because I know they are after Gunnerson. Leafs need to hang onto that guy.
like i said it's Eklund so don't worry about Gunnarson. there is a 99.9% chance neither of those deals will come to fruition.

Old
04-06-2010, 09:22 AM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeliscious View Post
there is absolutely zero reason for carolina to trade either their 1st round pick or sutter. anyone who is entertaining either should give their head a shake.

question to all those aboard the trade kabs train:

would you trade kaberle straight up for a 1st round pick in the 10-15 range?

while it might seem like not great value we would have an extra $4.2 million in cap space. if we would be able to make finger disappear and potentially trade grabs to move up a few spots to say 8-10 in the draft we would then have over $10.5 million just in those moves to sign someone like marleau or bank for the future. im not sure who people like in the 8-10 range in the draft but surely we would be able to land someone with top 6 forward potential?
Ok. I hate to burst your bubble but read this. Marleau will NEVER play for TO as long as Wilson is his coach. NEVER. Been there done that and has been roasted. All this chatter that the two have cleared the air is just chatter to not burn any bridges. Wilson ripped Marleau for years and he hated to play for him. Do you think for one second Marleau will play here to be ripped by Wilson by the end of the year and the media in front of his stall in the locker room everyday? Not going to happen.

Last edited by daveleaf: 04-06-2010 at 09:23 AM. Reason: spelling
Old
04-06-2010, 09:26 AM
ACC1224

Quote:
Ok. I hate to burst your bubble but read this. Marleau will NEVER play for TO as long as Wilson is his coach. NEVER. Been there done that and has been roasted. All this chatter that the two have cleared the air is just chatter to not burn any bridges. Wilson ripped Marleau for years and he hated to play for him. Do you think for one second Marleau will play here to be ripped by Wilson by the end of the year and the media in front of his stall in the locker room everyday? Not going to happen.
Only one person can say that with any certainty and it isn't you.

Old
04-06-2010, 09:31 AM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Only one person can say that with any certainty and it isn't you.
You think he will? With everything that has gone on do you think he would ever entertain the idea? Would a guy starting the last phase of his career want to be on a rebuilding Leafs team? I like him as a player but playing for Wilson is not an easy task. There are so many options for Marleau and the Leafs would be probably #29. Not going to happen.

Old
04-06-2010, 09:34 AM
gabeliscious

Quote:

Quote:
i know its online and its hard to read tone but your sort of coming across as douchy. just thought i would through that out there. you could probably reword your opinion in a way that would correct that.

anyways....i wrote "someone like marleau or bank the money for the future" not SIGN ****ING PATRICK MARLEAU. meaning it could be marleau or it could be frolov, or kovy, or anything else burke can get his hands on.

irrespective of what i wrote, i dont understand how you can make such a definitive statement regarding 2 players without personal knowledge of either (if you do then i apologize and that is a different story). has wilson ripped marleau in the past? yes, its a fact. has wilson ripped just about every star that has played for him, probably yes as well. its his coaching method -whether it is right or wrong is for a different discussion. the point is that i have no reason to believe that marleau wouldnt put up with wilsons abuse if burke gave him $7.5 million reasons to do so. for $75,000 i would put up with his abuse.

Old
04-06-2010, 09:44 AM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeliscious View Post
i know its online and its hard to read tone but your sort of coming across as douchy. just thought i would through that out there. you could probably reword your opinion in a way that would correct that.

anyways....i wrote "someone like marleau or bank the money for the future" not SIGN ****ING PATRICK MARLEAU. meaning it could be marleau or it could be frolov, or kovy, or anything else burke can get his hands on.

irrespective of what i wrote, i dont understand how you can make such a definitive statement regarding 2 players without personal knowledge of either (if you do then i apologize and that is a different story). has wilson ripped marleau in the past? yes, its a fact. has wilson ripped just about every star that has played for him, probably yes as well. its his coaching method -whether it is right or wrong is for a different discussion. the point is that i have no reason to believe that marleau wouldnt put up with wilsons abuse if burke gave him $7.5 million reasons to do so. for $75,000 i would put up with his abuse.
Maybe a little more then 75K.....haha. I can't see Burke giving him 7.5mill and sorry if it came off 'douchy' but Marleau did not like the way Wilson hung him out to dry and he did it too many times. Once, well, water under the bridge. A guy like Brad Richards could put up with him or a young player scared of loosing his chance at the pros but Marleau I don't see it. Would you? If you were in his skates? I am sure Boston would throw 5mill + at him and a few other teams. I think that is like Sundin coming back to play for TO. Playing in the fish bowl is great when you have a contender but when it is rebuilding and you have Naploean as coach-man! I wouldn't wish that on him. With the 7.5mill, he might have to spend 2mill of that on therapy.

Old
04-06-2010, 09:49 AM

I'm so glad that post is from Eklund. I would be ****ing pissed if we traded Kaberle for Sutter and Cole. Sutter has had a good season but he's a 3rd line center in my mind. Cole is awful.

I'm not so sure Carolina would even want Kaberle. His brother is gone and they have Pitkanen as well as that McBain kid who's been playing really well.

Old
04-06-2010, 09:53 AM
daveleaf

Just to add Gabs....TO needs guys that want to play for TO at any money and not just for the money. It took Fletcher and Gilmour a couple of years to rectify the damage by Balard over 20 or more seasons. Burke has been working on almost three years now of rectifying JFJ's brilliant moves. In the end, there were a lot of players here that were here for the money, cushy life style and being hero's when they walked the streets. We need guys that will go through the boards and glass to win big games and we haven't seen that since Gilmours days. I mean that guy was black and blue when he was done after the LA series. You need a special player, then you need a special coach to get them to do it. I think Marleau is a upper end player but Wilson would never get him to be the guy. Too much has been said and done already. Kind of like getting back together with an ex-wife. Never works out.

Sorry if I pissed you off, that was not my intention.

Last edited by daveleaf: 04-06-2010 at 09:58 AM. Reason: spelling
Old
04-06-2010, 09:55 AM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 080 View Post
I'm so glad that post is from Eklund. I would be ****ing pissed if we traded Kaberle for Sutter and Cole. Sutter has had a good season but he's a 3rd line center in my mind. Cole is awful.

I'm not so sure Carolina would even want Kaberle. His brother is gone and they have Pitkanen as well as that McBain kid who's been playing really well.
Sometimes other teams put these rumors out there to hide the real smoke. Safe to say Kabs will be traded first day of the window opening. I hear you on Cole but Sutter is a pretty good player.

Old
04-06-2010, 09:57 AM
pspot

not sure why the Canes would do it but Sutter has looked awesome this year and would be a great addition to the Leafs top six and specifically that big center

Old
04-06-2010, 10:10 AM
Peace Frog

I think I remember reading an earlier post that suggested Schenn for Ryan. To me, that seems more plausible then trying to trade them Kabs for him. They already have Visnovsky, but Schenn would make for a very good addition to their soon to be depleted defence corps.

I know people are going to want to go off on me about even the mere suggestion of trading Schenn, but look at it objectively for a second. Bobby Ryan would be ideal for this Leafs team and we have players already in our system, that can be a strong shut down defender. Aulie is highly regarded as a defenceman who has serious top four potential, and at 6'6", he'd be a real monster out there.

Keep in mind that Schenn is going to be a third pairing defenceman for us next season. Phaneuf, Komisarek, Beauchemin (like it or not), and Gunnarsson are going to be our top four..... and for quite a few years. As much as everyone loves Schenn (myself included), I think it would be better to have Ryan, then Luke on our team. On Anaheim, I think Schenn would be a top three defender, who could move into top two.

I imagine that we'd have to add a little to get Ryan, but Schenn would definitely be the centerpiece. Get Ryan in a Schenn deal and another solid return for Kaberle. Our top six could be lethal next season. Even with moving those two defencemen, we'd still have a very solid defence corps. Re-sign MVR for under $1M and bring up Aulie or Phil O. to round out the third pairing.

Old
04-06-2010, 10:11 AM
ACC1224

Quote:
You think he will? With everything that has gone on do you think he would ever entertain the idea? Would a guy starting the last phase of his career want to be on a rebuilding Leafs team? I like him as a player but playing for Wilson is not an easy task. There are so many options for Marleau and the Leafs would be probably #29. Not going to happen.
No, I don't think he will sign here.

I do think he would look at the offer if presented to him and like most players will sign with the team that offers the most coin/term.

Old
04-06-2010, 10:14 AM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Frog View Post
I think I remember reading an earlier post that suggested Schenn for Ryan. To me, that seems more plausible then trying to trade them Kabs for him. They already have Visnovsky, but Schenn would make for a very good addition to their soon to be depleted defence corps.

I know people are going to want to go off on me about even the mere suggestion of trading Schenn, but look at it objectively for a second. Bobby Ryan would be ideal for this Leafs team and we have players already in our system, that can be a strong shut down defender. Aulie is highly regarded as a defenceman who has serious top four potential, and at 6'6", he'd be a real monster out there.

Keep in mind that Schenn is going to be a third pairing defenceman for us next season. Phaneuf, Komisarek, Beauchemin (like it or not), and Gunnarsson are going to be our top four..... and for quite a few years. As much as everyone loves Schenn (myself included), I think it would be better to have Ryan, then Luke on our team. On Anaheim, I think Schenn would be a top three defender, who could move into top two.

I imagine that we'd have to add a little to get Ryan, but Schenn would definitely be the centerpiece. Get Ryan in a Schenn deal and another solid return for Kaberle. Our top six could be lethal next season. Even with moving those two defencemen, we'd still have a very solid defence corps. Re-sign MVR for under $1M and bring up Aulie or Phil O. to round out the third pairing.
It would be sad but I would make that deal. I like Schenn-really do. I just never thought Ryan would be available. I still think they will resign him just too much cap space available.

Old
04-06-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Sometimes other teams put these rumors out there to hide the real smoke. Safe to say Kabs will be traded first day of the window opening. I hear you on Cole but Sutter is a pretty good player.
Sutter has played well this season but who knows what he'll be like in the future. If I recall correctly, I think the last 4 goals he's scored have been lucky ones banked in off of defenders. I'm not so sure he's as good as people think he is.

Quote:
It would be sad but I would make that deal. I like Schenn-really do. I just never thought Ryan would be available. I still think they will resign him just too much cap space available.
I agree. I see no reason why Anaheim doesn't re-sign Ryan. Especially with Selanne and Koivu leaving. They'll really be lacking offense upfront.

Old
04-06-2010, 10:48 AM
gabeliscious

Quote:
Maybe a little more then 75K.....haha. I can't see Burke giving him 7.5mill and sorry if it came off 'douchy' but Marleau did not like the way Wilson hung him out to dry and he did it too many times. Once, well, water under the bridge. A guy like Brad Richards could put up with him or a young player scared of loosing his chance at the pros but Marleau I don't see it. Would you? If you were in his skates? I am sure Boston would throw 5mill + at him and a few other teams. I think that is like Sundin coming back to play for TO. Playing in the fish bowl is great when you have a contender but when it is rebuilding and you have Naploean as coach-man! I wouldn't wish that on him. With the 7.5mill, he might have to spend 2mill of that on therapy.
lol, i see your point. sorry for calling you douchy.

i much prefer this business of schenn + for ryan that is being discussed anyways. as much as we all love schenn im sure bobby ryan would make us forget about him pretty fricken fast. hopefully burke can strong arm his way into getting a deal sorted

Old
04-06-2010, 12:14 PM
S2S
Come at me bros

Kaberle + major prospect likely = Kadri. Maybe if this were a top 2 pick, but I do not think any forward not named Hall or Seguin are better than Kadri at this point.

Old
04-06-2010, 12:36 PM
Mojo19
GOlf LEAFS GOlf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2S View Post
Kaberle + major prospect likely = Kadri. Maybe if this were a top 2 pick, but I do not think any forward not named Hall or Seguin are better than Kadri at this point.
This, he has been dominant in the playoffs for London. This year, and last year.

Old
04-06-2010, 01:02 PM
Peace Frog

The idea of Kaberle + a Major prospect for the Canes 1st, is absolutely ludicrous. Especially if that prospect happens to be Kadri.

The idea behind Ryan possibly being available, stems from the perception that he doesn't want to play in Anaheim; not that they can't afford him. I don't know why he wouldn't want to stay there, but if he doesn't, hopefully Burke can get a deal done.

Old
04-06-2010, 01:22 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
I agree.

He's going to get millions, and he won't have to be thrown under the bus for every mistake made by the team while doing it.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.

Babs - short for Barbara
Old
04-06-2010, 01:27 PM
caniac247

Sorry, Rutherford is not trading Sutter for 1 year worth of Kaberle. And no we wouldn't re-sign him next year. Team won't be able to afford both Pitkanen and Kaberle. Pitkanen is younger and would come a bit cheaper, so they'll keep him. Not to mention McBain is showing alot of upside.

Also Sutter is mentioned in with the core (Staal, Ruutu, Ward and Gleason), and he makes up the 1-2 punch down the middle. It'll take massive overpayment to pry Sutter out of Carolina.

Old
04-06-2010, 01:44 PM
Hero
Buffy is Back

Not sure how a late season surge would cause Carolina to want Kabs.

Closed Thread