HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

First-round exit?

Closed Thread

Old
04-05-2010, 09:27 PM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightclubber25 View Post
ennis initiates contact in the corners and along the boards. he wins a hell of a lot more battles for pucks than ive seen drew in the past oh, 2 seasons or so. you bump someone like grier or goose into mair or ellis' spot and you slide ennis into the top 3. you need to score goals to win games, staffor, mair, and ellis are not going to be doing that for you in the playoffs imo.
No he doesn't. Gerbe will try but Ennis does not intiate contact or engage in physical play.

Old
04-05-2010, 10:31 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

If everyone is able and healthy:
Vanek-Connolly-Pominville
Torres/Kennedy-Roy-Grier/Mancari
Hecht-Goose-Kaleta
Kennedy/Torres-Ellis-Mair

Losing Hecht has killed the bottom six, Torres is not good defensively and shouldn't be put on the checking line. The Goose-Grier combo was formed because Kennedy stopped being good at center and both guys were way better on separate lines. Torres/Kennedy/Grier create space for Roy. Basically, the change from HCP to VCP doesn't mess up the first line that much (and could make it better in several regards) while making a significantly stronger bottom six. I don't like the 4th line, but a motivated Mair (IE the one that clocked Lucic) could be a welcome sight come playoff time.

Old
04-05-2010, 10:48 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelForbin View Post
Their offense is terrible. Worst goals for in the entire league. Not to mention Savard is out. I just don't see them putting enough goals up on Miller over the course of a series.

Also, their record since Jan 1st is 15-18-6.

Yes the goal-tending and D is solid, but it isn't much better than Buffalo's, if at all. The offensive advantage puts the Sabres way over the top, IMO.
Doesn't matter. We'll get bullied all series and the games will be low-scoring. The margin for error will be nil. Give me the soft team more prone to defensive breakdowns every day of the week.

Old
04-05-2010, 10:58 PM
Paradigm

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Hecht-Goose-Kaleta

Losing Hecht has killed the bottom six, Torres is not good defensively and shouldn't be put on the checking line. The Goose-Grier combo was formed because Kennedy stopped being good at center and both guys were way better on separate lines. Torres/Kennedy/Grier create space for Roy. Basically, the change from HCP to VCP doesn't mess up the first line that much (and could make it better in several regards) while making a significantly stronger bottom six. I don't like the 4th line, but a motivated Mair (IE the one that clocked Lucic) could be a welcome sight come playoff time.
I like the looks of these lines heading into the playoffs. I agree out of all the call-ups, that Mancari would be best suited for our situation; big body, can grind it out, and a killer shot if Lindy would give him some time on the point for the PP (think Kotalik 2.0). He has played well with Kennedy in Portland, and with Roy on his call-up this year. I also would like to see Vanek with Connolly again. Hecht with Goose and Grier gives us a very solid checking line to match up against other top lines and Torres, Ellis, and Kaleta can stir up some energy.

With that, I'd like to see:

Kennedy-Roy-Mancari
Hecht-Gaustad-Grier
Torres-Ellis-Kaleta

Stafford can take a seat 'til someone sucks worse than him

Old
04-05-2010, 11:13 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Hecht-Goose-Kaleta

How so??

Hecht has been in the top 6 since December, and the bottom 6 survived. And quite frankly, taking Hecht out of the top 6 will absolutely kill it. We saw what happened in the Ottawa game when Hecht was put on the third line.

There is NO lineup with Hecht anywhere other than with Connolly and Pominville that as a whole is better than a lineup with HCP together.

Old
04-05-2010, 11:31 PM
Paradigm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
How so??

Hecht has been in the top 6 since December, and the bottom 6 survived. And quite frankly, taking Hecht out of the top 6 will absolutely kill it. We saw what happened in the Ottawa game when Hecht was put on the third line.

There is NO lineup with Hecht anywhere other than with Connolly and Pominville that as a whole is better than a lineup with HCP together.
To be fair, it was Ottawa. I wouldn't put any stake into results from that game.

Old
04-05-2010, 11:53 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

That lineup against the Sens sucked for the following reasons:

1. Grier and Goose aren't all that good together (especially offensively) due to lack of mobility. They can park themselves in a zone with the best of them, but they have difficulties transitioning from a cycle to a scoring opportunity. Hecht-Goose-Kaleta > HGG because Hecht and Kaleta have shown a little chemistry in limited time together and Jochen and Patty's mobility offsets a relatively slow guy in Gaustad. Hecht-Kennedy-Grier was the same way. Two speedy guys and a big body.
2. Kennedy is worse offensively and defensively than Hecht. Vanek, while being worse defensively is still strong on the backcheck and behind and in front of the net, while having better offensive instincts.
3. Vanek-Roy-Stafford is the worst line ever created and that was Buffalo's secondary scoring line that night. VRS was completely ineffective and it put additional pressure on both a worse first line and a strictly matchup line to produce offense. We all know how that went.

For the 200thish time, I want to see Roy with two guys whose sole role is making space for the guy. Torres-Roy-Grier could be interesting.

Old
04-06-2010, 12:32 AM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Tyler Ennis --- Tim Connolly --- Jason Pominville
Tim Kennedy --- Derek Roy --- Thomas Vanek
Jochen Hecht --- Paul Gaustad --- Patrick Kaleta
Raffi Torres --- Adam Mair --- Mike Grier

Tyler Myers --- Henrik Tallinder
Toni Lydman --- Steve Montador
Craig Rivet --- Chris Butler

We need to keep Ennis up for the playoffs. He's a good offensive spark, and helps our power play. We're not gonna win in the playoffs by scoring 2 garbage goals a game. I'd like to see what he and Connolly could do together. To unselfish players who are great at handling the puck and who have great vision. They could work similarly to how Henrik and Daniel Sedin work. Yes it would be a soft line, but it could still work.

Kennedy, Roy and Vanek seemed to work well together for most of their tenure as linemates. I don't think there's any reason to break them up. It would be nice to have a guy who could open up space for Roy, but I don't think Grier can keep up with one of the top lines in the playoffs, and I don't like Kennedy on checking lines. He's a gifted offensive player, keep him in an offensive role.

I hate putting Jochen on the third line as much as the next guy, he's been our most consistent all around player for the entire year. But, it's much safer then putting Ennis, Kennedy, Vanek or Pominville on a checking line. Jochen, with Kaleta, will make up for the lack of speed in Gaustad. I don't like Gaustad and Grier playing on the same line because they're two of our slowest skaters. Kaleta can crunch some bodies in the corner, allowing Jochen to pick up the puck and work around the boards with it, while Goose causes havoc in front of the net, allowing Jochen to either get the puck to the open point or throw one of his weird angle shots at the net which seem to go in at an alarming rate.

Torres and Mair are pretty good skaters, which makes a strong responsible (sort of) fourth line with Grier on it. This really helps to let the offensive guys flourish and the grinders and defensive guys do their thing. We roll four lines more often than not anyway so it's not a huge deal to have fully offensive lines and fully defensive lines. The line combinations we've been doing all year have been pretty decent for the most part, but they aren't producing as much as they could or should be.

Old
04-06-2010, 12:46 AM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2189 View Post
Tyler Ennis --- Tim Connolly --- Jason Pominville
Tim Kennedy --- Derek Roy --- Thomas Vanek
Jochen Hecht --- Paul Gaustad --- Patrick Kaleta
Raffi Torres --- Adam Mair --- Mike Grier

Tyler Myers --- Henrik Tallinder
Toni Lydman --- Steve Montador
Craig Rivet --- Chris Butler

We need to keep Ennis up for the playoffs. He's a good offensive spark, and helps our power play. We're not gonna win in the playoffs by scoring 2 garbage goals a game. I'd like to see what he and Connolly could do together. To unselfish players who are great at handling the puck and who have great vision. They could work similarly to how Henrik and Daniel Sedin work. Yes it would be a soft line, but it could still work.

Kennedy, Roy and Vanek seemed to work well together for most of their tenure as linemates. I don't think there's any reason to break them up. It would be nice to have a guy who could open up space for Roy, but I don't think Grier can keep up with one of the top lines in the playoffs, and I don't like Kennedy on checking lines. He's a gifted offensive player, keep him in an offensive role.

I hate putting Jochen on the third line as much as the next guy, he's been our most consistent all around player for the entire year. But, it's much safer then putting Ennis, Kennedy, Vanek or Pominville on a checking line. Jochen, with Kaleta, will make up for the lack of speed in Gaustad. I don't like Gaustad and Grier playing on the same line because they're two of our slowest skaters. Kaleta can crunch some bodies in the corner, allowing Jochen to pick up the puck and work around the boards with it, while Goose causes havoc in front of the net, allowing Jochen to either get the puck to the open point or throw one of his weird angle shots at the net which seem to go in at an alarming rate.

Torres and Mair are pretty good skaters, which makes a strong responsible (sort of) fourth line with Grier on it. This really helps to let the offensive guys flourish and the grinders and defensive guys do their thing. We roll four lines more often than not anyway so it's not a huge deal to have fully offensive lines and fully defensive lines. The line combinations we've been doing all year have been pretty decent for the most part, but they aren't producing as much as they could or should be.
None of those guys (or Hecht) will have to be on a checking line if you don't force feed Ennis playoff minutes that he hasn't proven he's ready for yet. He may have a couple of more games against desperate teams coming up (Rangers, Boston, Ottawa, Jersey) before Vanek/Connolly come back comes back, but as of right now neither Ennis/Gerbe have done anything against the better competition to justify having them in the lineup.

Old
04-06-2010, 01:27 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
None of those guys (or Hecht) will have to be on a checking line if you don't force feed Ennis playoff minutes that he hasn't proven he's ready for yet. He may have a couple of more games against desperate teams coming up (Rangers, Boston, Ottawa, Jersey) before Vanek/Connolly come back comes back, but as of right now neither Ennis/Gerbe have done anything against the better competition to justify having them in the lineup.
Bingo. Everyone loves Ennis (and Gerbe) because he's the new guy...but he is NOT a top line forward on a division winning team in the playoffs. Not yet.

He's playing that role only because of injuries. Not because he is one of the best forwards on this team. Because as of this current moment in time, he's not.

Old
04-06-2010, 02:16 AM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Quote:
Meh, I still think he'll make more of a difference out there than Stafford or Ellis. I think Ellis is a hard working guy, but there's no part of his game that can be a difference maker. He's not an overly physical guy, he doesn't fight, he doesn't score or create scoring opportunities. He's just sort of, there.

And unless Stafford hulks up somehow for the playoffs and actually start throwing his body around or trying to create plays, I don't see why he should be in the lineup. I don't think he's been as bad as most people say around here, but he has been nearly invisible for quite a while now.

Ennis is sort of a gamble, but I think his qualities are best suited for a scoring line. Hecht can play well on any line, Ennis probably can't at this point in his career. So if we were to have Ennis in the lineup, it would most likely be on a scoring line.

Old
04-06-2010, 04:29 AM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2189 View Post
Meh, I still think he'll make more of a difference out there than Stafford or Ellis. I think Ellis is a hard working guy, but there's no part of his game that can be a difference maker. He's not an overly physical guy, he doesn't fight, he doesn't score or create scoring opportunities. He's just sort of, there.

And unless Stafford hulks up somehow for the playoffs and actually start throwing his body around or trying to create plays, I don't see why he should be in the lineup. I don't think he's been as bad as most people say around here, but he has been nearly invisible for quite a while now.

Ennis is sort of a gamble, but I think his qualities are best suited for a scoring line. Hecht can play well on any line, Ennis probably can't at this point in his career. So if we were to have Ennis in the lineup, it would most likely be on a scoring line.
For one thing, Stafford wouldn't be in my playoff lineup. I'd insert Ellis over him. And Ellis most certainly CAN be used in a 4th line role. This team has been at it's most effective this season when it's bottom two lines are grinding away in the offensive zone, producing possession time, wearing opposing defenses down, and even popping in a timely goal or two. Ellis has been a part of that as a 4th liner more often than not.

For another, right now Hecht-Connolly-Pominville has been the team's best line for the longest stretch of time. Breaking that top line up and replacing Hecht's physicality and cycle abilities with another playmaker (Connolly's role) upsets the balance of the top line.

Old
04-06-2010, 08:53 AM
GrierIsGod123

Quote:
For one thing, Stafford wouldn't be in my playoff lineup. I'd insert Ellis over him. And Ellis most certainly CAN be used in a 4th line role. This team has been at it's most effective this season when it's bottom two lines are grinding away in the offensive zone, producing possession time, wearing opposing defenses down, and even popping in a timely goal or two. Ellis has been a part of that as a 4th liner more often than not.

For another, right now Hecht-Connolly-Pominville has been the team's best line for the longest stretch of time. Breaking that top line up and replacing Hecht's physicality and cycle abilities with another playmaker (Connolly's role) upsets the balance of the top line.
Agreed, there's no way we can start the playoffs without the Hecht Connolly Pommers line intact. That said, if we're having trouble shutting down other team's top lines, it might be time to have Hecht and Grier together. Ennis could also play with Roy, instead of Kennedy. Kennedy has been good with them, but Ennis is more suited to maximize Roy and Vanek's shooting abilities. He's probably the best passer on the team already.

Hecht Connolly Pominville
Ennis Roy Vanek
Kennedy Gaustad Grier
Torres Ellis Kaleta
Stafford
Mair

or

Ennis Connolly Pominville
Kennedy Roy Vanek
Hecht Goose Grier
Torres Ellis Kaleta
Stafford
Mair

Either way, I think we need Ennis up here to help our PP and add some offensive skill to a very limited lineup. Mair should not be on a playoff lineup no matter how you spell it, he's a liability out there for the most part. Ellis is a much better player, while Mair is no longer physical. IMO, Adam only sees the lineup if Kaleta is out. We're gonna need to score goal consistently and if Ennis can even help us get a couple PP goals, it could be the difference in games. He allows us to have two competent PP units. I'd put him on the first unit and put Roy on the second unit.

Old
04-06-2010, 09:29 AM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrierIsGod123 View Post
Agreed, there's no way we can start the playoffs without the Hecht Connolly Pommers line intact. That said, if we're having trouble shutting down other team's top lines, it might be time to have Hecht and Grier together. Ennis could also play with Roy, instead of Kennedy. Kennedy has been good with them, but Ennis is more suited to maximize Roy and Vanek's shooting abilities. He's probably the best passer on the team already.

Hecht Connolly Pominville
Ennis Roy Vanek
Kennedy Gaustad Grier
Torres Ellis Kaleta
Stafford
Mair

or

Ennis Connolly Pominville
Kennedy Roy Vanek
Hecht Goose Grier
Torres Ellis Kaleta
Stafford
Mair

Either way, I think we need Ennis up here to help our PP and add some offensive skill to a very limited lineup. Mair should not be on a playoff lineup no matter how you spell it, he's a liability out there for the most part. Ellis is a much better player, while Mair is no longer physical. IMO, Adam only sees the lineup if Kaleta is out. We're gonna need to score goal consistently and if Ennis can even help us get a couple PP goals, it could be the difference in games. He allows us to have two competent PP units. I'd put him on the first unit and put Roy on the second unit.
If Ennis shows he can bring everything you say he can bring against a playoff calibre team, then I might consider him in the lineup. So far, he's been rather ineffective against teams playing playoff hockey. Mair, dumb penalties aside, is nowhere near as ineffective as you say he is.

As an aside, while the power play is bad and needs a spark (I don't know if Ennis is the answer for that), overall goal scoring is not actually a weakness of the Sabres. They are 10th in the NHL in goals without Ennis or Gerbe. We don't need to be sacrificing size and whatever phsyicality Mair has left (he has at least been through the playoff wars before) for a guy who hasn't proven he can produce at the NHL level. Kennedy has also looked very good with Vanek and Roy, and won the job out of camp. He's not going to be shifted back to the 3rd wing where he has struggled defensively on a "what if" Ennis can produce with Roy and Vanek. Kennedy has shown in limited viewings that he can.

An unproductive Ennis in the playoffs would be twice the liability of an Adam Mair.

Old
04-06-2010, 09:40 AM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
No one knows until they play the games.
Posted via Mobile Device
Wow! Passing up an opportunity at giving your opinion on something. Shocking. You have nothing to say about how this team stacks up against others in the East?

Old
04-06-2010, 09:44 AM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagining Defeat View Post
Does anyone else think that Torres Stafford isn't quite sure what this team wants out of him? He looks a bit confused at times. His role here is still in question. I can't recall him getting anytime with the top 6 all that much.
fixed

Old
04-06-2010, 10:25 AM
Kruschiki

With regard to Torres, unless he finds some success in the playoffs, I can see him as yet another disgruntled deadline acquisition. He can't be happy about his UFA stock dropping.

Old
04-06-2010, 12:11 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post

Again, the lineup against Ottawa sucked because Kennedy is a bad replacement for Hecht and VRS is a ****ing awful line.

Hecht-Connolly-Pominville came into its own right before the ruinous West Coast swing that started Buffalo's inconsistency. Although that line has had success, it's come at the expense of rolling 3-4 solid units.

Goose/Grier doesn't work well because they aren't mobile. It's why Kennedy replaced Goose four games into the season. With two mobile guys and a big body, the third line quickly became our best line. The fourth line, which was also super effective followed the same principle. Vanek can functionally replace Hecht. Additionally, it'll mean that Roy will go up against weaker players as teams will (wrongly) try to contain the top line.

Torres-Roy-Grier
Hecht-Gaustad-Kaleta
Kennedy-Ellis-Mair (with the possibility of calling up McCormick)

Old
04-06-2010, 02:16 PM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Placek View Post
With regard to Torres, unless he finds some success in the playoffs, I can see him as yet another disgruntled deadline acquisition. He can't be happy about his UFA stock dropping.
He has plenty of time to make a case for himself. A hand/wrist injury is nothing to sneer at and it's cost him a ton of time with the Sabres. And, if the truth is told and he was out of what the Sabres consider good shape, well, when he gets there, he'll be that much more effective. My take is that he'll improve with time. He's been good since coming back from being injured. It only takes a couple of great games to forge a playoff legacy and a big payday.

Ta,

Old
04-06-2010, 02:20 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placek View Post
Wow! Passing up an opportunity at giving your opinion on something. Shocking. You have nothing to say about how this team stacks up against others in the East?
I think they stack up well against most teams in the East. But as I've said all year, one of the things I'm waiting to see is how certain players will do in the playoffs. Many important players on this team will either be new to the NHL playoffs or playing in bigger roles than they were in before. At their best they have a shot to get to the Conference Finals. Getting to the 2nd round seems to be a realistic outcome for them. But as I posted previously, no one knows until they play the games. Until we see how certain players react to playoff hockey its hard to say.

But all of the above is sort of off the point I was making that you obviously bristled at. I wasn't disagreeing with your point that they could be knocked out in the 1st round (It could happen). I was pointing out that you're going out of your way to be overly negative.

You're basing part of your reasoning on their record since January. When its pointed out by Zip that almost every team (minus the Caps) in the East playoff race has similar records or worse. Thus making your arguement fairly weak you still stick to your guns. To me thats ignoring the facts to just to be negative.

Last edited by joshjull: 04-06-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Old
04-06-2010, 02:31 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Again, the lineup against Ottawa sucked because Kennedy is a bad replacement for Hecht and VRS is a ****ing awful line.

Hecht-Connolly-Pominville came into its own right before the ruinous West Coast swing that started Buffalo's inconsistency. Although that line has had success, it's come at the expense of rolling 3-4 solid units.

Goose/Grier doesn't work well because they aren't mobile. It's why Kennedy replaced Goose four games into the season. With two mobile guys and a big body, the third line quickly became our best line. The fourth line, which was also super effective followed the same principle. Vanek can functionally replace Hecht. Additionally, it'll mean that Roy will go up against weaker players as teams will (wrongly) try to contain the top line.

Torres-Roy-Grier
Hecht-Gaustad-Kaleta
Kennedy-Ellis-Mair (with the possibility of calling up McCormick)
Thats not why Kennedy ended up on the 3rd line. Hecht/Goose/Grier wasn't broken up because of their play.

We started the season with Kennedy and Roy as the top 6 centers. Connolly was on the wing, Stafford was on the 4th line and Mac was in the top 6 as well. The experiment with Kennedy centering a top 6 line failing was why Kennedy ended up on the 3rd line and Connolly was putback at center. If you recall Ruff saying that Kennedy and Gerbe are not 4th liners and wouldn't make the team as 4th liners. The only logical move then was for Kennedy to go to the 3rd line and dropping Goose down. Stafford then went back into the top 6. When the top 6 still kept struggling then Mac was dropped from the top 6 and Hecht was elevated.

The Hecht/Goose/Grier line was broken up because of the play of others. Even after being broken up as a line Goose would still center those two in key defensive situtions.

Last edited by joshjull: 04-06-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old
04-06-2010, 02:42 PM
ClearedButNotOut
Fixity

vCash: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
fixed
True to a degree, but alas Stafford still sees top 6 time for some reason.

Old
04-06-2010, 03:12 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Thats not why Kennedy ended up on the 3rd line. Hecht/Goose/Grier wasn't broken up because of their play.

We started the season with Kennedy and Roy as the top 6 centers. Connolly was on the wing, Stafford was on the 4th line and Mac was in the top 6 as well. The experiment with Kennedy centering a top 6 line failing was why Kennedy ended up on the 3rd line and Connolly was putback at center. If you recall Ruff saying that Kennedy and Gerbe are not 4th liners and wouldn't make the team as 4th liners. The only logical move then was for Kennedy to go to the 3rd line and dropping Goose down. Stafford then went back into the top 6. When the top 6 still kept struggling then Mac was dropped from the top 6 and Hecht was elevated.

The Hecht/Goose/Grier line was broken up because of the play of others. Even after being broken up as a line Goose would center those two in key defensive situtions.
I know this. But if Hecht-Goose-Grier was a dominant line, Kennedy wouldn't have replaced Goose and would have been sent down.

Goose centered that line in key defensive situations because he's better defensively and at faceoffs than TK.

Old
04-06-2010, 03:31 PM
joshjull

Quote:
I know this. But if Hecht-Goose-Grier was a dominant line, Kennedy wouldn't have replaced Goose and would have been sent down.

Goose centered that line in key defensive situations because he's better defensively and at faceoffs than TK.
He wouldn't have been sent down.

Hecht/Goose/Grier being dominant or not wasn't really my point. Things other than their play lead to them getting broken up was.

Old
04-06-2010, 03:46 PM
Kruschiki

Quote:
I think they stack up well against most teams in the East. But as I've said all year, one of the things I'm waiting to see is how certain players will do in the playoffs. Many important players on this team will either be new to the NHL playoffs or playing in bigger roles than they were in before. At their best they have a shot to get to the Conference Finals. Getting to the 2nd round seems to be a realistic outcome for them. But as I posted previously, no one knows until they play the games. Until we see how certain players react to playoff hockey its hard to say.

But all of the above is sort of off the point I was making that you obviously bristled at. I wasn't disagreeing with your point that they could be knocked out in the 1st round (It could happen). I was pointing out that you're going out of your way to be overly negative.

You're basing part of your reasoning on their record since January. When its pointed out by Zip that almost every team (minus the Caps) in the East playoff race has similar records or worse. Thus making your arguement fairly weak you still stick to your guns. To me thats ignoring the facts to just to be negative.
I'm looking at the product on the ice. Anyone that is optimistic right now is making a leap of faith, not me. We've been waiting years for players to pan out, playoff experience or not, I think we know what we have, and so do the Sabres' brass.

I see match-up problems with 6 of the 8 teams in the playoffs or still in the hunt in the East. As I stated earlier in the season, anything less than the Conference finals is a disappointment.

Perhaps those are lofty expectations, but just winning a series isn't good enough, and this is why I am negative. I apologize if this is a buzz kill for those that are just happy to watch a series or two.

Closed Thread