HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

First-round exit?

Closed Thread

Old
04-06-2010, 03:55 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
He wouldn't have been sent down.

Hecht/Goose/Grier being dominant or not wasn't really my point. Things other than their play lead to them getting broken up was.
Right, but my point is that if they were playing incredibly well, they wouldn't have gotten broken up. They weren't sucking or anything, they just weren't playing well enough to avoid Ruff switching up the lines and the whole bottom six was more effective once that change happened. If Ruff didn't like TK in the top six and HGG was too good to break up, Kennedy prolly would have been sent down.

I know HKG was a line by the Nashville game, did that happen during the Phoenix game or after?

Old
04-06-2010, 05:05 PM
K McDude

Quote:
I think they stack up well against most teams in the East. But as I've said all year, one of the things I'm waiting to see is how certain players will do in the playoffs. Many important players on this team will either be new to the NHL playoffs or playing in bigger roles than they were in before. At their best they have a shot to get to the Conference Finals. Getting to the 2nd round seems to be a realistic outcome for them. But as I posted previously, no one knows until they play the games. Until we see how certain players react to playoff hockey its hard to say.

But all of the above is sort of off the point I was making that you obviously bristled at. I wasn't disagreeing with your point that they could be knocked out in the 1st round (It could happen). I was pointing out that you're going out of your way to be overly negative.

You're basing part of your reasoning on their record since January. When its pointed out by Zip that almost every team (minus the Caps) in the East playoff race has similar records or worse. Thus making your arguement fairly weak you still stick to your guns. To me thats ignoring the facts to just to be negative.
Not enough worker bees for me, how about you? (I know, I will never be happy)

I agree with JJ, and I see your point too. On JJ's side, I think our "core" is doomed, because I think most of them thrive as complimentary players, and not leaders or guys you severely depend on. They are soft, and since the Drury/Briere fiasco, have not proven they can carry this team. Even this season I hesitate to believe they can carry us, even though the evidence clearly proves they can get it done. (2nd or 3rd in the East) Why do I feel this way? I dunno, I'm an idiot. (up until this season, I called Miller average and thought we could live without him)

On the other hand, like you, I'm waiting to see what happens in the playoffs. Guys are in bigger roles than 3 seasons ago, and nobody knows for sure what will happen.

The only thing I feel confident in predicting is, Ryan Miller will be a stud. He has proven this in the playoffs, and the Olympics. The only worry with him is fatigue, but go far enough into the playoffs and every team has that fear.

I know, I'm incoherent and ramble.

Old
04-06-2010, 05:17 PM
K McDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placek View Post
As I stated earlier in the season, anything less than the Conference finals is a disappointment.
To you and I, sure that's the case. (although, looking at this roster I don't see any chance how we get past the Caps or Pens)

But I get the vibe that many here just want a round 2 appearance, and the Sabres brass would be equally as happy about that. (once the disappointment from getting knocked out subsides, for both parties)

Maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited by K McDude: 04-06-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old
04-06-2010, 05:52 PM
ColonelForbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Right, but my point is that if they were playing incredibly well, they wouldn't have gotten broken up. They weren't sucking or anything, they just weren't playing well enough to avoid Ruff switching up the lines and the whole bottom six was more effective once that change happened. If Ruff didn't like TK in the top six and HGG was too good to break up, Kennedy prolly would have been sent down.

I know HKG was a line by the Nashville game, did that happen during the Phoenix game or after?
Wasn't the Phoenix game the second game of the season? Are you saying Hecht/Gaustad/Grier was only a line for two games?

I remember them being together for a decent amount longer than that. The first 10 maybe?

Old
04-06-2010, 06:01 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

HGG was only a line for a game and a half. Grier scored the only goal in the Nashville game and Hecht and Kennedy were his linemates. I'm watching the highlights of the Phoenix game right now and Kennedy had a 2 on 1 with Grier after centering MacArthur and Pominville so Ruff made the change halfway through that game.

Old
04-06-2010, 06:37 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by K McDude View Post
Not enough worker bees for me, how about you? (I know, I will never be happy)

I agree with JJ, and I see your point too. On JJ's side, I think our "core" is doomed, because I think most of them thrive as complimentary players, and not leaders or guys you severely depend on. They are soft, and since the Drury/Briere fiasco, have not proven they can carry this team. Even this season I hesitate to believe they can carry us, even though the evidence clearly proves they can get it done. (2nd or 3rd in the East) Why do I feel this way? I dunno, I'm an idiot. (up until this season, I called Miller average and thought we could live without him)

On the other hand, like you, I'm waiting to see what happens in the playoffs. Guys are in bigger roles than 3 seasons ago, and nobody knows for sure what will happen.

The only thing I feel confident in predicting is, Ryan Miller will be a stud. He has proven this in the playoffs, and the Olympics. The only worry with him is fatigue, but go far enough into the playoffs and every team has that fear.

I know, I'm incoherent and ramble.
Are you refering to Placek's old username when referencing JJ or are you refering to me?

Because I'm a tad confused

Old
04-06-2010, 06:39 PM
K McDude

Quote:
Are you refering to Placek's old username when referencing JJ or are you refering to me?

Because I'm a tad confused
This is the reply I get, from all people YOU, in a post I poured my heart into?!?!

I mean Placek, sorry, I've always considered him JJ.

Old
04-06-2010, 06:53 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by K McDude View Post
This is the reply I get, from all people YOU, in a post I poured my heart into?!?!

I mean Placek, sorry, I've always considered him JJ.
Well I wanted to be sure before responding

I can't agree our core is doomed but I can understand why you feel that way.

Old
04-06-2010, 06:58 PM
K McDude

Quote:
Well I wanted to be sure before responding

I can't agree our core is doomed but I can understand why you feel that way.
I know we agree, that we hope I'm wrong. (which I usually am)

Say that 3 times fast!

Old
04-19-2010, 08:44 PM
mgamer45*

I usually don't say this but this series is pretty much over....

How can you win a series when your top 6 forwards are not producing, your best player is injured for god knows how long...and you can't stop one of the worst offenses in the league, with one of the BEST goalies in the league.

Closed Thread