HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

June 1st

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2004, 01:12 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
June 1st

The June 1st deadline is exactly 4 weeks away. It hasn't been discussed here too much, but I am wondering what Gainey will do. Both Michael Lambert and Andre Deveaux have to be signed before June 1st, or they reenter the draft.

Lambert I would think gets signed no problem, unless he and or his agent are stupid and ask for too much money, but being that he was taken 99th overall, he shouldn't get too much I would think. I hope he's signed, I think it would help Urquhart's development if he had a player he's got chemistry with, but we'll have to see what Gainey will do.

Andre Deveaux I have to wonder if they sign him or not. I would like to see him get a contract, especially when you consider we are small down the middle and at 6'4, Deveaux may be a late blooomer. I've seen him a few times this year, and he's played well in those games. He may never amount to anything, but at the very least he could be an asset in Hamilton, imo.

Also one has to wonder what other possible reentries will be signed or not over the next 4 weeks.

Old
05-04-2004, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
The June 1st deadline is exactly 4 weeks away. It hasn't been discussed here too much, but I am wondering what Gainey will do. Both Michael Lambert and Andre Deveaux have to be signed before June 1st, or they reenter the draft.

Lambert I would think gets signed no problem, unless he and or his agent are stupid and ask for too much money, but being that he was taken 99th overall, he shouldn't get too much I would think. I hope he's signed, I think it would help Urquhart's development if he had a player he's got chemistry with, but we'll have to see what Gainey will do.

Andre Deveaux I have to wonder if they sign him or not. I would like to see him get a contract, especially when you consider we are small down the middle and at 6'4, Deveaux may be a late blooomer. I've seen him a few times this year, and he's played well in those games. He may never amount to anything, but at the very least he could be an asset in Hamilton, imo.

Also one has to wonder what other possible reentries will be signed or not over the next 4 weeks.
I think Lambert is a no-brainer after the kind of improvement he had this year and Deveaux, I believe will also be signed, due to our lack of size donw the middle + the fact that he's our only propect who plays center with a right handed shot

Old
05-04-2004, 01:31 PM
Lewis63

I hope they sign Lambert because it sounds like he could be a good player.

Now for Deveaux, I don't know much about him except his size (listed at 6'4 and 220 lbs) and that he has a right shot. The habs are small down the middle and except for Dowd, all our centers are lefties. But what's his style of play? Did he see powerplay time in junior? What about PK? What was his role on his team? Did he improve his skating since being drafted? Does he like the rough stuff or stays clair of it?

All these questions seem important to me before we sign a young player. Of course he could be signed just to get a player for hamilton...

Old
05-04-2004, 01:32 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
I hope both get signed at reasonable rates, because one is improving and the other is the big right handed C!!

Old
05-04-2004, 01:46 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis63

Now for Deveaux, I don't know much about him except his size (listed at 6'4 and 220 lbs) and that he has a right shot. The habs are small down the middle and except for Dowd, all our centers are lefties. But what's his style of play? Did he see powerplay time in junior? What about PK? What was his role on his team? Did he improve his skating since being drafted? Does he like the rough stuff or stays clair of it?

All these questions seem important to me before we sign a young player. Of course he could be signed just to get a player for hamilton...

Lambert could be a good player. A big test for him will be the AHL, as I think his game is good for the Q, but we'll have to see if he is willing to get his nose dirty so to speak, as he may have trouble in the corners if he doesn't work hard. It's tough to say cause last year he really disappointed, but this year was a true breakout year for him. I hope he's signed, he's got a wicked shot.

Deveaux is a tough call. He did see PP and PK time from what I know, as he was the go to go for important face-offs in Owen Sound. He played 2nd and 3rd line center from what I know of, on one of the better teams in the OHL and one of the better teams Owend Sound has had in some time. His skating is ok, but from what I've seen he has to keep his feet moving. I don't know if he is just a bit lazy at times, but some shifts he is hard to find on the ice even though he's one of the biggest players in the league. Yes he will mix it up. Deveaux has gotten kicked out of a number of games for fighting, but I really can't say how good of a fighter he is. I do remember one game he and Andrew Archer got kicked out of the game for fighting each other, I would have liked to see that one!

Deveaux to me shows some good things offensively, as his hands are decent, he's got size, and while he needs to be more physical hitting players, I would hope he gets a shot, who knows what he may do in a few years. But after a strong start to the season, he tailed off from what I'm told and has had trouble in his own end and struggles with consistency which is comon for big players.

Old
05-04-2004, 01:47 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis63
I saw Deveaux twice this year, tho' actually, I was paying more attention to Ruzicka. But FWIW, Deveaux didn't seem to have great games for me. He always seems to have PIM (and others list him as a rough guy), but he seemed a little bit tentative in that area to me. I dunno, like if anybody remembers Brashear when he first came around... it's like, he was a huge guy, and he could get the job done anytime he had to, but he was either a bit relaxed about it, or just wanted to show some other dimension to his game instead. When I saw that he had 151 PIM at the end of this year, I couldn't believe it was the same guy, because he seemed relatively placid when I watched him.

He was on the PP, I didn't notice him on PK. I don't think he has a lick of offense to bring to the NHL, though. He doesn't seem to have "hockey sense" either for generating offense or for anticipating plays and being a top defensive player. Maybe if somebody lights a big fire under him and gets that big body going, he could be a Brashear type... a top calibre big crasher/fighter on your 4th line. It's worth signing him to the bare minimum contract just to see if that could ever happen, IMO. But I wouldn't hold my breath on it.

Take that with a great big grain of salt, though, since of course I know nothing about the kid's character, and I only saw 2 games... I'm just kind of spinning out my general impressions from a hopelessly insufficient sampling.

Old
05-04-2004, 01:55 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
I saw Deveaux twice this year, tho' actually, I was paying more attention to Ruzicka. But FWIW, Deveaux didn't seem to have great games for me. He always seems to have PIM (and others list him as a rough guy), but he seemed a little bit tentative in that area to me. I dunno, like if anybody remembers Brashear when he first came around... it's like, he was a huge guy, and he could get the job done anytime he had to, but he was either a bit relaxed about it, or just wanted to show some other dimension to his game instead. When I saw that he had 151 PIM at the end of this year, I couldn't believe it was the same guy, because he seemed relatively placid when I watched him.

He was on the PP, I didn't notice him on PK. I don't think he has a lick of offense to bring to the NHL, though. He doesn't seem to have "hockey sense" either for generating offense or for anticipating plays and being a top defensive player. Maybe if somebody lights a big fire under him and gets that big body going, he could be a Brashear type... a top calibre big crasher/fighter on your 4th line. It's worth signing him to the bare minimum contract just to see if that could ever happen, IMO. But I wouldn't hold my breath on it.

Take that with a great big grain of salt, though, since of course I know nothing about the kid's character, and I only saw 2 games... I'm just kind of spinning out my general impressions from a hopelessly insufficient sampling.

I agree that someone needs to light a fire under his to get him going. It seems that when he has it going, he can be an effective player, but when he's not moving his feet he is more of a big plyon on ice. Brashear is not a bad example, I guess I never really considered that, but it does seem to fit. I see more offensive abilities in him then you, but I agree his defenisve game needs work. But a guy like Jarvis may be able to work with him.

Old
05-04-2004, 02:14 PM
Duster

Quote:
I agree that someone needs to light a fire under his to get him going. It seems that when he has it going, he can be an effective player, but when he's not moving his feet he is more of a big plyon on ice. Brashear is not a bad example, I guess I never really considered that, but it does seem to fit. I see more offensive abilities in him then you, but I agree his defenisve game needs work. But a guy like Jarvis may be able to work with him.
Good thread... Just my opinion, but I think the Habs as an organization may now be in a position to be more choosy in respect to signing Junior aged players. This is not to say that Deveaux isn't worthy of a contract but it might be tougher for him to get one. I think the maximum number of contracts on a team is 50 or so (could be wrong). Is Deveaux worthy, potential or skill-wise, of being in that 50? There are some Europeans that could be signed too. I'd like to see Kospikari and Linhart in camp for example...It's starting to get crowded.

Old
05-04-2004, 02:34 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster
Good thread... Just my opinion, but I think the Habs as an organization may now be in a position to be more choosy in respect to signing Junior aged players. This is not to say that Deveaux isn't worthy of a contract but it might be tougher for him to get one. I think the maximum number of contracts on a team is 50 or so (could be wrong). Is Deveaux worthy, potential or skill-wise, of being in that 50? There are some Europeans that could be signed too. I'd like to see Kospikari and Linhart in camp for example...It's starting to get crowded.

Korpikari and Linhart are only each, I'd guess and say that they say in their own country until the are regulars in the mens league. Linhart has had trouble staying in the mens 2nd league (ahl like) and has spent time in the top league (only a few games though), the 2nd mens league and the other half in juniors. I'd leave him over there till he gets a spot in the mens league full time, let him learn the game over there, but we'll see what they do. Korpikari was mostly in the mens league, but did end up playing in the junior league at the end of this year. I really don't know if it was due to the shoulder injury he got at the WJC's, but I'd like to see him spend a year or two in the sm-liiga.

As for the 50 contracts, we should have plenty room

Theodore, Garon, Danis, Rivet, Markov, Brisebois, Bouillon, Komisarek, Archer, Shasby, Dykhuis, Koivu, Bulis, Ward, Higgins, Perezhogin, Plekanec, Ferland, Milroy, Larrivee are all under contract for next year. That's 20 right there.

Souray, Zednik, Ryder, Ribeiro, Kovalev, Dowd, Landgon, Begin, Hainsey, Hossa, Sundstrom, Thinel, Marois, Damphousse, Dags, Michaud, Gratton all could be signed if so that's 37 right there. Leaving 13 contracts.

Kastsitsyn, Lambert, Deveaux, Cote, Locke, Urquhart, Flood, Glenn, Korneev ??, Robinson ?? could all be signed and that would still leave 3 contracts, plus we coud buyout Dykhuis, leaving 4 contracts. Marois, Dags, Sundstrom and Thinel may not even be back which would be 7 or 8 contracts, as I expect we would pick up a FA or overager for Hamilton possibly. There's room although not a lot, Gainey will figure it out.

Old
05-04-2004, 02:37 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Montreal i was wondering if you could give an overview on Corey Locke... i saw him play couple games this year via broadband and he seemed to be by far the best player in every game...reading up on him opponent coaches all said theres no way to stop him and that in their gameplans they account for the 2-3 points he will get?? that seems pretty good to me?!?! im wondering if hell be able to have the same (not same but you know what i mean) success in the AHL...and when do you think hell make the jump?

Old
05-04-2004, 02:43 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Marois, Dags, Sundstrom and Thinel may not even be back which would be 7 or 8 contracts, as I expect we would pick up a FA or overager for Hamilton possibly. There's room although not a lot, Gainey will figure it out.
CJ has made reference to keeping Dags a couple of times...they see that he does have offensive skill and an awesome shot....ive heard him say that theyd commit to working on his flaws(Skating and defense...which comes with skating)

Old
05-04-2004, 02:55 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi2teD
Montreal i was wondering if you could give an overview on Corey Locke... i saw him play couple games this year via broadband and he seemed to be by far the best player in every game...reading up on him opponent coaches all said theres no way to stop him and that in their gameplans they account for the 2-3 points he will get?? that seems pretty good to me?!?! im wondering if hell be able to have the same (not same but you know what i mean) success in the AHL...and when do you think hell make the jump?

Well no one can say how Locke will fare at the next level, as that is the real test. Forget the dazzling numbers in junior, it means little. Lots of players have racked up the points in juniors only to fall short at the next level. Locke if he works on his foot speed/skating and physical strength could be very effective in the AHL over the next few years, who knows what if anything after that.

Right now Locke needs to focus on the training for the AHL. I can't see him going back to juniors, it would be a waste, imo. I do think he'll be fine in the AHL, as he like Ribeior can see the ice so well and has the ability to slow the play down to his speed. I am concerned about his lack of speed/strength against the bigger stronger faster players of the AHL, but the guy has a lot of skill and it will be exciting to see what he does in Hamilton as I assume he goes there next year.

Old
05-04-2004, 03:01 PM
Duster

Quote:
As for the 50 contracts, we should have plenty room

Theodore, Garon, Danis, Rivet, Markov, Brisebois, Bouillon, Komisarek, Archer, Shasby, Dykhuis, Koivu, Bulis, Ward, Higgins, Perezhogin, Plekanec, Ferland, Milroy, Larrivee are all under contract for next year. That's 20 right there.

Souray, Zednik, Ryder, Ribeiro, Kovalev, Dowd, Landgon, Begin, Hainsey, Hossa, Sundstrom, Thinel, Marois, Damphousse, Dags, Michaud, Gratton all could be signed if so that's 37 right there. Leaving 13 contracts.

Kastsitsyn, Lambert, Deveaux, Cote, Locke, Urquhart, Flood, Glenn, Korneev ??, Robinson ?? could all be signed and that would still leave 3 contracts, plus we coud buyout Dykhuis, leaving 4 contracts. Marois, Dags, Sundstrom and Thinel may not even be back which would be 7 or 8 contracts, as I expect we would pick up a FA or overager for Hamilton possibly. There's room although not a lot, Gainey will figure it out.
Thanks for the info Dan. In regards to Korpikari and Linhart. One of the reasons I'd like to see both here next Fall is so they can be taught the North American game properly under Jarvis. I liked what I saw of Korpikari, even if it was one game. Linhart, in particular, has been bounced all over the place. He's raw but has potential IMO. It's got to be a tough situation for him not being tutored in a consistent manner.

Wasn't sure about the 50. In fact, I thought it was less than that

I do anticipate that Gauthier and Savard will look for some additional depth players from other teams' rosters. They got Dagenais this year. A defenseman would be nice...

Old
05-04-2004, 03:03 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Korpikari and Linhart are only each, I'd guess and say that they say in their own country until the are regulars in the mens league. Linhart has had trouble staying in the mens 2nd league (ahl like) and has spent time in the top league (only a few games though), the 2nd mens league and the other half in juniors.
On the side, montreal what do you think of Linhart's chances?

I thought he looked totally confused and overmatched in the OHL, and at the WJC he was shaky at best. He seems to process the game too slowly, and doesn't have the physical skills to make up for it. Spotty skating, tentative and error-prone play in his own zone... I was ready to write him off as a terrible 2nd round pick after the WJC, but of course, in a more rational moment, I suppose with a young defenseman one shouldn't be too hasty. But is there *anything* to hope for? I know when we had Guren, for example, or Razin, or Chvojka, they all seemed to have at least one thing or another going for them as they finished junior, and none of them made much of a push for a spot. I'm having trouble finding any bright spots in Linhart's game at all.

Old
05-04-2004, 03:09 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
On the side, montreal what do you think of Linhart's chances?

I thought he looked totally confused and overmatched in the OHL, and at the WJC he was shaky at best. He seems to process the game too slowly, and doesn't have the physical skills to make up for it. Spotty skating, tentative and error-prone play in his own zone... I was ready to write him off as a terrible 2nd round pick after the WJC, but of course, in a more rational moment, I suppose with a young defenseman one shouldn't be too hasty. But is there *anything* to hope for? I know when we had Guren, for example, or Razin, or Chvojka, they all seemed to have at least one thing or another going for them as they finished junior, and none of them made much of a push for a spot. I'm having trouble finding any bright spots in Linhart's game at all.

Well I didn't see it that. While I didn't get the chance to take in any games of his in the OHL (had I know he wouldn't be back the next year I would have made an effort to get in a game or 2) but he also played on a bad Ice Dogs team yet was able to be one of the few + players on the team. London didn't need him, with a solid core already in place, so there wasn't really any room for him.

As for the wjc's, he wasn't very good, but still I found him to be the Czech's top defensemen. His skating isn't great but he does seem to have some decent physical strength. I am very concerned about his future, but he's still young and hopefully a few years will bring better results for him.

Old
05-04-2004, 03:32 PM
Duster

Quote:
Well I didn't see it that. While I didn't get the chance to take in any games of his in the OHL (had I know he wouldn't be back the next year I would have made an effort to get in a game or 2) but he also played on a bad Ice Dogs team yet was able to be one of the few + players on the team. London didn't need him, with a solid core already in place, so there wasn't really any room for him.

As for the wjc's, he wasn't very good, but still I found him to be the Czech's top defensemen. His skating isn't great but he does seem to have some decent physical strength. I am very concerned about his future, but he's still young and hopefully a few years will bring better results for him.
I did see him in one game in the OHL. In that game, he was quite effective in clearing the front of the net. Definitely your rugged, stay-at-home type IMO. I agree with your assessment of his play at the WJC. He looked shaky on his skates. Except for one major breakdown in one game that cost a goal, he played ok. A project, for sure...

Old
05-04-2004, 04:25 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster
I did see him in one game in the OHL. In that game, he was quite effective in clearing the front of the net. Definitely your rugged, stay-at-home type IMO. I agree with your assessment of his play at the WJC. He looked shaky on his skates. Except for one major breakdown in one game that cost a goal, he played ok. A project, for sure...

Also he was playing against the top forwards in the tournament, imo. I thought he played much better against Slovakia then he did against Canada.

Old
05-04-2004, 05:10 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi2teD
CJ has made reference to keeping Dags a couple of times...they see that he does have offensive skill and an awesome shot....ive heard him say that theyd commit to working on his flaws(Skating and defense...which comes with skating)
This is a mistake. Dagenais is 26 and i guess that NJ and FLA already tried to improve his skating-defense and it didnt gave any results. I dont how he could dramatically improve his skating and defense in one year. I would keep Perreault before him.

Old
05-04-2004, 06:13 PM
toughstuff

Question for Montreal and Duffy.

At the rookie camp tournement the last two years, Deveaux really came across as the superior propspect compared to Lambert despite Lambert being better ranked.

In his first rookie Deveaux was stellar. In the 2nd he was disappointed maybe because I was expecting more.

Lambert on the other never impressed me. His work ethic and dedication was questionnable.

Is Lambert's break out year due to a change in work ethic or simply because he was older than the others.

If his work ethic has not improved we should let him walk.

Old
05-04-2004, 07:21 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughstuff
Question for Montreal and Duffy.

At the rookie camp tournement the last two years, Deveaux really came across as the superior propspect compared to Lambert despite Lambert being better ranked.

In his first rookie Deveaux was stellar. In the 2nd he was disappointed maybe because I was expecting more.

Lambert on the other never impressed me. His work ethic and dedication was questionnable.

Is Lambert's break out year due to a change in work ethic or simply because he was older than the others.

If his work ethic has not improved we should let him walk.

That's a tough call. Lambert imo did work hard last year, but this he did seem to pay the price a lot more. Plus I think playing with Urquhart is also a big part of his sucess. Lambert has a very nice shot, but if Urquhart doesn't feed him all those pucks, I don't think he scores close to the 42 or so goals he had this year.

I personally think both should be given a shot in Hamilton or ECHL next year to see what they can do down the road.

Closed Thread