Notices

Who should we target in the first round of the draft

Closed Thread

Old
04-04-2010, 03:01 PM
AintLifeGrand

vCash: 500
Who should we target in the first round of the draft

Well it looks like we will be picking somewhere in the 10-14 range with out 1st round pick. Then somewhere between 16-30 with the Devils 1st rounder. Who do y'all think will be available that the Thrash should target?

Ideally, I would like to get Nino, but I have a feeling he's going to be taken in the top 10.

Realistically speaking I would like to draft Granlund, Campbell,Bennett, or Riley Sheahan. These guys,with the exception of Jack Campbell, address our lack of depth at Center. While I love antro and Raptor J, I truly believe that a major deficiency in this organization is the inability to produce a homegrown 1st line center. Ideally, one of these guys, should be hitting his stride, right around when Antro or Raptor J's contacts expire.

With the NJD 1st rounder I would like to look at one of the overlooked Russians like Kabanov, Stanislav Galiev, or Burmistov. I know that in the post kovy era we have a natural prejudice against Russians, but I really like the idea of having at least 1 high flying Russian player in the top 6. I wouldn't mind picking Emerson Etem either.

If we hold onto our picks, this draft could really help us find some top flite talent so we don't have to depend on scrubs like Bryan Little or Clarke Macarthur in our top 6

Old
04-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Ashe

Until you can pot goals in the NHL, you have no right calling anyone a scrub. Or guys who are there for a certain role.

Old
04-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Shameus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
Well it looks like we will be picking somewhere in the 10-14 range with out 1st round pick. Then somewhere between 16-30 with the Devils 1st rounder. Who do y'all think will be available that the Thrash should target?

Ideally, I would like to get Nino, but I have a feeling he's going to be taken in the top 10.

Realistically speaking I would like to draft Granlund, Campbell,Bennett, or Riley Sheahan. These guys,with the exception of Jack Campbell, address our lack of depth at Center. While I love antro and Raptor J, I truly believe that a major deficiency in this organization is the inability to produce a homegrown 1st line center. Ideally, one of these guys, should be hitting his stride, right around when Antro or Raptor J's contacts expire.

With the NJD 1st rounder I would like to look at one of the overlooked Russians like Kabanov, Stanislav Galiev, or Burmistov. I know that in the post kovy era we have a natural prejudice against Russians, but I really like the idea of having at least 1 high flying Russian player in the top 6. I wouldn't mind picking Emerson Etem either.

If we hold onto our picks, this draft could really help us find some top flite talent so we don't have to depend on scrubs like Bryan Little or Clarke Macarthur in our top 6
Wait.....I thought you wanted to trade both picks away for a true #1 center?

Old
04-04-2010, 04:08 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Little is no scrub.

First option, play making C who can play both ways.

Old
04-04-2010, 06:51 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

draft god

Old
04-04-2010, 07:00 PM
Telfo
THRASHERS

since we arent at the very top it will depend greatly on who is available.

im sure Wadudley will dangle the NJ 1st to either move up to the top 5 or, more likely, trade it for a proven top 6 forward

Old
04-04-2010, 09:52 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

I really hope we draft Niederreiter. He will be the most hyped ATL sports prospect since Jason Heyward.

I say we trade up to assure we land him. He would surely make this team. No shot he needs time to develop. Throw him right in with Antropov and Bergfors.

Old
04-04-2010, 10:15 PM
Thrashers94
We fly as one

If we can get Nino and then Campbell with the our 2 first rounders that would be awesome.

Old
04-04-2010, 10:24 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Possibly no one.

If their any chance Montreal makes one of Halak or Price available then I would not hesitate offering ATL's 1st Round pick and a prospect.

For NJ's picks, that could be traded to Chicago for Sharp/Versteeg depending whether they don't they can sign an UFA like Ponikarovsky or Frolov.

Old
04-04-2010, 10:28 PM
Thrashers94
We fly as one

I would take Price over Halak.

He would dominate in Atlanta in front of 14,000 fans compared to 20,000 canadians heckling him.

Old
04-04-2010, 10:53 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

Price is the most over rated goalie ever. I wouldn't take him for a 3rd rounder. I'd rather play Pavelec > Price because so far the Price is rig... WRONG!

Old
04-04-2010, 11:19 PM
OkayIGiveUp
Tactileneck

price's true talent and potential has been ruined by mtl.
They needed to rely on him too early and now all the pressure has broken him.
I think ATL could be a real refresher for him and like Thrashers94 said, be less pressure for him and I think he could flourish.

Old
04-04-2010, 11:38 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

I still wouldn't overpay for him. Montreal probably believes he is worthy. still wouldn't give up more than a 3rd.

He hasn't proven anything like Pavelec. Why would we overpay for an unproven goalie with potential when we have one? Because he was drafted high? lol.

Old
04-04-2010, 11:48 PM
atleternal
Sautee Nacoochee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz View Post
Possibly no one.

If their any chance Montreal makes one of Halak or Price available then I would not hesitate offering ATL's 1st Round pick and a prospect.

For NJ's picks, that could be traded to Chicago for Sharp/Versteeg depending whether they don't they can sign an UFA like Ponikarovsky or Frolov.
Thank god you’re not the GM of this team. Giving up our first and a prospect for one of those two?!?!? WTF?!?!?!?!!!!!??? Hell, trade Pavelec whilst your at it?!!?!

Old
04-05-2010, 12:05 AM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

I agree. No reason to over pay and damage our future. Price is not needed and I wouldn't over pay for Halak.

Our 1st round pick is not going to be moved. If Waddell moves it he should be fired on the spot.

Old
04-05-2010, 05:25 AM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by atleternal View Post
Thank god you’re not the GM of this team. Giving up our first and a prospect for one of those two?!?!? WTF?!?!?!?!!!!!??? Hell, trade Pavelec whilst your at it?!!?!
I have reach a breaking point that this team can't have a temporary option as no 1 anymore.

Hedberg was a stop gap because Kari couldn't get healthy.

Pavelec is not ready but maybe will be ready in a season or two. Maybe is too big of an issue for me personally given the team's troubles with goaltenders over the years. This franchise is slowly dying with regards to attendances and season ticket sales. Kovalchuk being gone is going to make things worse next season. This team can't afford to wait another year or two to make the playoff while Pavelec hopefully finds his game to be a consistent no1 goaltender. I rather overpay in the offseason to use one of the teams first round picks to get a legit goaltender that will set the position for the next five years. If Pavelec does come good then the team will be in a strong position down the track to use him or Price/Halak as a trade bait if we decide two no1 goaltenders is not working effectively or the team could use their value to help another part of the team.

Old
04-06-2010, 09:42 PM
AintLifeGrand

If we can lose out our next 2 games, we have a good shot at getting a pick in the top 10!!!!

Old
04-06-2010, 09:58 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

I'll translate: If we lose our next 2 games, we will have a shot at Nino Niederreiter!

Old
04-07-2010, 11:19 AM
hockey momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
Little is no scrub.

First option, play making C who can play both ways.
AintLifeGrand just has a hate-on for him, nobody takes him seriously

Old
04-07-2010, 03:13 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
I'll translate: If we lose our next 2 games, we will have a shot at Nino Niederreiter!
Fund it.

Old
04-07-2010, 03:23 PM
AtlSioux

We will pick top ten this year again, hoping for Alex Bourret...

Would like to see us pick a D and a center with our two first round picks. Derek Forbert with our first pick (if we get lucky and somehow Brett Connelly or Mikeal Granlund is still on the board) gotta jump on either of those two despite that Connelly is not a center, he certianally has the potential to be the best player in this draft. If we take a d with our top ten pick (Cam Fowler is a possiblity as well here...outstanding skater fits our offense first style) then someone like Brock Nelson would be a great player to probably go in the 20s. Goalies are too hit or miss (and usually take many years down the line to develop even if they pan out) to waste a first round pick on.

Anyone else making the trip to LA for the draft this year?

Old
04-07-2010, 03:46 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

Are we in the top 10?

Old
04-07-2010, 03:54 PM
AtlSioux

If the season ended today we'd pick 8th...

Old
04-07-2010, 03:56 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
Well it looks like we will be picking somewhere in the 10-14 range with out 1st round pick.
We're currently in position to pick 8th. We can potentially fall to 5th if Columbus, NY Islanders, and Carolina win their last games while we continue to lose.

Old
04-07-2010, 03:58 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

8th?!?!? Omg we have a great shot at Nino.

Closed Thread