Closed Thread

Old
04-07-2010, 04:16 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
8th?!?!? Omg we have a great shot at Nino.
It really says something about how terrible the bottom half of the Eastern Conference is when a team that was battling for a playoff spot until the last week of the season is actually still picking in the top ten regardless.

Old
04-07-2010, 04:23 PM
Sabreality

tough to call...closer to 8th, Brett Connolly(C), Nino(LW) or Burmistrov(C)

closer to 13th Riley Sheahan(C), Nik Bjugstad(W) or Jeff Skinner(C)

Old
04-07-2010, 06:24 PM
Norm MacDonald

I think Atlanta might try to move the pick for someone like Vanek. A big-name offensive player to compensate for the loss of Kovalchuk could be really beneficial commercially. He's also on the later years of a front-loaded contract, which is a huge plus for the Thrashers. Then again, idk if Vanek is really available or whether it's just a few Buffalo fans talking out of their ***es.

If they don't, I have a feeling that they will target Tarasenko, since they seem to still be in their Russian phase. It would be an awesome pick as well (assuming he comes over).

Old
04-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Telfo
THRASHERS

i kinda hope we trade one of or both 1sts for some help now. im sick of waiting for picks to develop quite frankly

Old
04-07-2010, 08:27 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

please no more Defensemen in round 1. We have a good pipeline right now.

NHL.com has some good mock drafts up now.

One of them has us taking Neiderreiter and Pickard....

Atlanta history has us trading down to spot #23 for 5'7 Shlep Dogface + a 3rd and 4th that we lost on McAwful.

then we take Romanian figure skater Blechchinko Fukuyu with the Devils' #1. Waddell does it to placate his daughter for trading Hossa 2 years ago.

Old
04-07-2010, 11:50 PM
Enstrom39

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsigh View Post
It really says something about how terrible the bottom half of the Eastern Conference is when a team that was battling for a playoff spot until the last week of the season is actually still picking in the top ten regardless.
Bingo.

I would like to declare my desire to see Skinner in a Thrashers jersey. I also liked Nino.

Old
04-08-2010, 11:44 AM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

Quote:
Ah yes, Grasshopper, but it will be sold as an extreme improvement over the last 2 years!

We were able to lose 5 more games in overtime this year! One less victory overall, but that doesn't matter in the marketing scheme of things. As Tony the Tiger says, "We're GREAT!" And it's all thanks to Teflon Don!

Old
04-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Johnny8242

Send a message via AIM to Johnny8242
Devante Smith Pelly in the 2nd round!

Old
04-10-2010, 01:19 AM
AintLifeGrand

so now we're guaranteed a pick in the top 10.

Would still love to go with Nino, and he should be available...however if one of Granlund, Gormley, Tarasenko,Gudbranson, or Kabanov are still available do we bite?

this looks pretty damn solid
Bogo-Enstrom
Gudbranson/Gormley-Vish
Kulda-Postma
Valabik

so does this

Kane-Granlund-Bergfors
Peverley-Antropov-Little

or

Nino-Antropov-Bergfors
Kane-Peverley-Little

or

Bergfors-Antropov-Tarasenko/Kabanov

Old
04-10-2010, 03:20 AM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

We don't need anymore defensemen lol.

Old
04-10-2010, 09:21 AM
AintLifeGrand

How many 2nd round draft picks do we have left.

I'd like to go after Emerson, bennett, or Sheahan if they are still available. Maybe Kabanov or Galiev will be available too.

We have 2 picks in the 2nd round, no? I think first priority should be nabbing Jeff Skinner, kind of floored he hasn't been pegged to go in the first round.

With our other 2nd rounder we pick up Devante Smith Pelley(like what another poster said) Man is built like a halfback and plays a power forwards game.

I'm not really one to support sanctioned, forced diversity, but I would think it would be cool if the thrashers could assemble like 3-5 black Nhl'ers. Atlanta loves its black athletes, maybe even more than its white ones(knowshon,Jason Heyward, Joe Johnson,Vick, Jamal Anderson, etc) and a future line up of JST, Gucci Kane, and this Devante guy would do alot to spread the word about the Thrash.

I would love to see a 3rd line of Devante Smith-Pelley-Cormier-Klingberg/JST

edit: Go for Kabanov with the NJD 1st. (hopefully the Rags make the playoffs, and finish behind the Devils, bc i can definitely see them snagging him if he's available late round.) Who cares if he's Russian and has a bit of a colorful past, by all accounts he is an extremely dynamic player, wants to play in the NHL (burned some bridges in the K, so very little chance of bolting back to Russia) and speaks fluent English. If Atlanta would reward him with a late round pick, perhaps that would be all that is needed to give the kid a sense of humility. I think Atlanta would be a good fit for him and he could be an excellent replacement for Kovy....plus he is 1st line material and our LW depth would be stacked with him and Gucci anchoring the top 6 lw slot.

Last edited by AintLifeGrand: 04-10-2010 at 09:32 AM.
Old
04-10-2010, 09:41 AM
Shameus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
How many 2nd round draft picks do we have left.

I'd like to go after Emerson, bennett, or Sheahan if they are still available. Maybe Kabanov or Galiev will be available too.

We have 2 picks in the 2nd round, no? I think first priority should be nabbing Jeff Skinner, kind of floored he hasn't been pegged to go in the first round.

With our other 2nd rounder we pick up Devante Smith Pelley(like what another poster said) Man is built like a halfback and plays a power forwards game.

I'm not really one to support sanctioned, forced diversity, but I would think it would be cool if the thrashers could assemble like 3-5 black Nhl'ers. Atlanta loves its black athletes, maybe even more than its white ones(knowshon,Jason Heyward, Joe Johnson,Vick, Jamal Anderson, etc) and a future line up of JST, Gucci Kane, and this Devante guy would do alot to spread the word about the Thrash.

I would love to see a 3rd line of Devante Smith-Pelley-Cormier-Klingberg/JST

edit: Go for Kabanov with the NJD 1st. (hopefully the Rags make the playoffs, and finish behind the Devils, bc i can definitely see them snagging him if he's available late round.) Who cares if he's Russian and has a bit of a colorful past, by all accounts he is an extremely dynamic player, wants to play in the NHL (burned some bridges in the K, so very little chance of bolting back to Russia) and speaks fluent English. If Atlanta would reward him with a late round pick, perhaps that would be all that is needed to give the kid a sense of humility. I think Atlanta would be a good fit for him and he could be an excellent replacement for Kovy....plus he is 1st line material and our LW depth would be stacked with him and Gucci anchoring the top 6 lw slot.
He has so many red flags they almost make a billboard. Look the kid may or may not have hidden an injury from his junior team before he signed with them that affected how much he played for them. From all accounts he was a locker room cancer, and your talking about teenagers, they are all obnoxious at the high school age, I was one and coach that age; so to be a locker room cancer....that's not good. Almost all of his team mates and the coaching staff did not care for him. He left his team in the middle of their playoffs to go back to Russia to play for their U-18 team in the U-18 WC and then didn't make the team. If he is so talented....why did he not make the team. Either his skill is not there, from all reports he is skilled, or they didn't want him and all his distractions to be part of the team. Either way, even most draftniks have said run, don't walk the other way from this kid. No thanks

Old
04-10-2010, 10:13 AM
AintLifeGrand

its not like he didn't make it, he was kicked off the team for wearing the wrong color helmet and eating peanuts during a meeting with team principles.

Yes the kid may have a checkered past and some questionable attitude problems, but honestly it just sounds like the kid has ADHD. Get him a prescription for Vyvanse and there will be a huge turn around in his attitude.

The kid has too much talent not to pass up, I think Atlanta would be a good low-key environment for him to grow into his game. Plus he could have Max and Nik as mentors.

Old
04-10-2010, 07:07 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
so now we're guaranteed a pick in the top 10.

Would still love to go with Nino, and he should be available...however if one of Granlund, Gormley, Tarasenko,Gudbranson, or Kabanov are still available do we bite?

this looks pretty damn solid
Bogo-Enstrom
Gudbranson/Gormley-Vish
Kulda-Postma
Valabik

so does this

Kane-Granlund-Bergfors
Peverley-Antropov-Little

or

Nino-Antropov-Bergfors
Kane-Peverley-Little

or

Bergfors-Antropov-Tarasenko/Kabanov
since when is 4 rookie d-men solid?

i'd much rather stick with oduya and hainsey than hope 4 rookies overachieve

i think assuming bogosian goes back to his rookie form, kubina doesn't stay, and we don't add any free agents this is our best case scenario for next season.

bogosian-enstrom
hainsey-oduya
kulda-valabik
vishnevskiy

postma is still in need of some serious improvement at the AHL level before we talk about him coming up. vishnevskiy might make the team simply out of threats to bolt to russia. a mix of him and kulda depending on if we need offense or defense for that particular game would be good as the #6 with valabik hopefully playing as well as he did before his second injury this year.

it could actually be a good advantage to have two radically different guys switching in and out on the bottom pairing next season. not like this year where we had a ton of guys that were all pretty similar.

Old
04-10-2010, 09:16 PM
manifestodestiny

Would you goes be adverse to acquiring Iginla perhaps to mentor Kane?

Old
04-10-2010, 10:39 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

No. Iginla is declining. Calgary is prob trying to rip some team off for him. And why would Iginla mentor Kane? Kane is a whole different player.

Old
04-10-2010, 11:08 PM
Shameus

Quote:
Originally Posted by manifestodestiny View Post
Would you goes be adverse to acquiring Iginla perhaps to mentor Kane?
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm................I' d have to think long and hard about that. If they'd do it for say a first and vish or a first and MacArthur, in a heartbeat. If they want a Kovy like return, no. Not because I don't think Iginla is not a all star player. It is just I don't want to upset the core of the team. At this point that is the only thing this team has going for it next season.

Old
04-10-2010, 11:22 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

Do we officially have the 8th overall pick?

Old
04-10-2010, 11:26 PM
Shameus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
Do we officially have the 8th overall pick?
Have to wait until the lottery on Tuesday night.

Old
04-11-2010, 03:30 AM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

If Thrashers win lottery:
Trade ATL and NJ pick for a shot at Taylor Hall.

If Thrashers do not win:
Thrashers 1st Round (8th): Trade for Halak/Price
New Jersey 1st Round (20-30): draft Kabanov/Pulkkinen

Old
04-11-2010, 10:51 AM
copernicanrevolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz View Post
If Thrashers win lottery:
Trade ATL and NJ pick for a shot at Taylor Hall.

If Thrashers do not win:
Thrashers 1st Round (8th): Trade for Halak/Price
New Jersey 1st Round (20-30): draft Kabanov/Pulkkinen
This is insane. There are a plenty of adequate FA goalies if the Thrashers want to acquire one. Also, the market for goalies has been terrible for years. The #8 pick is overpayment for either of those guys and the Thrashers have a chance to address their real need (very talented forwards) with their pick.

Hell, Johan Hedberg had a better save %, a better GAA, and more shutouts than Carey Price this year. Goaltending is not this team's largest problem. Not by a long-shot.

Last edited by copernicanrevolution: 04-11-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old
04-11-2010, 01:10 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

Honestly, I want to target guys like:
-Jeff Skinner
-Evgeni Kuznetsov
-Toffoli

If we land Nino with one pick I really hope we don't trade the other away, there are plenty of mid-round/sleeper guys that can contribute to the team very well. I would love to come out of the first round with Nino and Kuznetsov/Skinner. I really want Skinner. He's like Ilya Kovalchuk except he knows how to defend. He's already close to a world class shot.

Bergfors-Antropov-Kane
Nino-Peverley-Little
Armstrong-genericUFAhere-Skinner/Kuznetsov
R2-Reasoner-Stapleton

Slater/Machacek

Bogosian-Kubina
Enstrom-Oduya
Kulda-Valabik

Postma or someone

Pavelec
UFAgoaltender or trade

Last edited by headsigh: 04-11-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old
04-11-2010, 03:42 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

i'm fine with trading the picks. i haven't done nearly as much research into this year's draft as i did last year but at first glance nothing jumps out at me as a big time player after the top 5.

i'd be down for moving the picks along with some of our lower tier players for a top 6 difference maker. just don't trade any of our prospects. we need those guys to ensure we can re-stock the shelves if we lose players to free agency.

Old
04-11-2010, 03:43 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Honestly, I want to target guys like:
-Jeff Skinner
-Evgeni Kuznetsov
-Toffoli

If we land Nino with one pick I really hope we don't trade the other away, there are plenty of mid-round/sleeper guys that can contribute to the team very well. I would love to come out of the first round with Nino and Kuznetsov/Skinner. I really want Skinner. He's like Ilya Kovalchuk except he knows how to defend. He's already close to a world class shot.

Bergfors-Antropov-Kane
Nino-Peverley-Little
Armstrong-genericUFAhere-Skinner/Kuznetsov
R2-Reasoner-Stapleton

Slater/Machacek

Bogosian-Kubina
Enstrom-Oduya
Kulda-Valabik

Postma or someone

Pavelec
UFAgoaltender or trade
don't be fooled by a couple good games. stapelton is by no means a player for us next year. better to have one of machacek, cormier, or even o'dell/morin than him.

Old
04-11-2010, 04:12 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 10 View Post
don't be fooled by a couple good games. stapelton is by no means a player for us next year. better to have one of machacek, cormier, or even o'dell/morin than him.
I'm alright with that spot being changeable. If stapleton isn't around next year, Cormier or Machacek can easily fill the void.

If the picks are traded for a real top guy, I wouldn't mind, but if it's something that doesn't add to our core of guys like an Iginla type who wouldn't be here for long, I wouldn't make that trade.

Trade for a guy like Versteeg that can contribute now and the future: A-OK

Trade for a guy that won't be in future situation despite the Thrasher's core being quite young: Nah.

Closed Thread