Who should we target in the first round of the draft

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Enstrom39

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 10 View Post
i'm fine with trading the picks. i haven't done nearly as much research into this year's draft as i did last year but at first glance nothing jumps out at me as a big time player after the top 5.

i'd be down for moving the picks along with some of our lower tier players for a top 6 difference maker. just don't trade any of our prospects. we need those guys to ensure we can re-stock the shelves if we lose players to free agency.
There are a lot of good prospects in the top 50 of this draft. Very quality 2nd round.

Old
04-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsigh View Post
I'm alright with that spot being changeable. If stapleton isn't around next year, Cormier or Machacek can easily fill the void.

If the picks are traded for a real top guy, I wouldn't mind, but if it's something that doesn't add to our core of guys like an Iginla type who wouldn't be here for long, I wouldn't make that trade.

Trade for a guy like Versteeg that can contribute now and the future: A-OK

Trade for a guy that won't be in future situation despite the Thrasher's core being quite young: Nah.
what if it means the difference in being a sure contender next year nad staying in the 10-7 spot.

Old
04-11-2010, 06:03 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 10 View Post
what if it means the difference in being a sure contender next year nad staying in the 10-7 spot.
I'm fine if it doesn't mean mortgage the future as well. I said earlier if it's a top-name guy that's also going to be able to contribute 5 years down the line, I would do it. I do not want to overspend for WIN THIS YEAR and then screw us down the line like the Flyers did with the Pronger deal. If we end up with 2 elite guys with our first rounders, that's a bonus.

It's a real deep draft like The Falconer said. I'm okay with trading some picks because we have a lot, but if we're giving a large amount of assets for a singular guy, I'm not behind that.

I'm not saying that if Washington called us up and offered Ovechkin I would deny it outright but I don't want to just think trade for superstar = fixing all our issues.

Old
04-11-2010, 08:57 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

Nino is ours! We are probably going to have 8th overall and that is PERFECT spot to land him.

Old
04-13-2010, 02:23 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

Lottery's tonight. As a team can move up a maximum of 5 spots, Atlanta has a chance at what I think is the number 3 pick or drop all the way down to the 14th pick.

Keep your fingers crossed, guys.

Old
04-13-2010, 02:39 PM
ThrashersfanSVK
@Jakub_Homola

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsigh View Post
Lottery's tonight. As a team can move up a maximum of 5 spots, Atlanta has a chance at what I think is the number 3 pick or drop all the way down to the 14th pick.

Keep your fingers crossed, guys.
No . A team can move up a maximum of 4 spots, not 5. So Atlanta can have 4th, 8th or 9th pick.

Chance for 4th pick: 3,60%
Chance for 8th pick: 89%
Chance for 9th pick: 7,60%

Atlanta has a chance for 4th pick (if we win the lottery), but they also can drop to the 9th pick (if the team from 22nd, 21st, 20th or 19th place win the lottery). Otherwise they stay on 8th pick. Everything else is impossible.

Last edited by ThrashersfanSVK: 04-13-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old
04-13-2010, 03:19 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

And that is why I failed Math in high school.

Old
04-13-2010, 07:17 PM
Thrashers94
We fly as one

Nino is ranked 7th.

Old
04-13-2010, 07:22 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

Atlanta will draft 8th. Interesting to see how things shake out now.

Old
04-13-2010, 07:24 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

8th pick. Wow we can get Nino. Wow! 1-2 months ago I was wishful thinking but now it can become a reality!

Old
04-13-2010, 07:30 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

NHL.com has us picking Nino 9th (?) and a goalie (lol) 25th.

Old
04-13-2010, 07:31 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
NHL.com has us picking Nino 9th (?) and a goalie (lol) 25th.
Well we have 8th so we are def getting him unless someone in front steals him.

I swear if Waddell is still GM and Nino is avail at 8th and DW passes up on him, I will go insane and boycott the Thrashers.

Old
04-13-2010, 07:36 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

Nino, Etem, or Connolly if he drops. We get a forward with hands and decent size.

Old
04-14-2010, 09:30 PM
Thrashers94
We fly as one

I hope we draft Conz too.

2 guys from Switzerland who were amazing in the world juniors.

Old
04-15-2010, 08:39 AM
BigTuna49
#WPGWHITEOUT

vCash: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz View Post
If Thrashers win lottery:
Trade ATL and NJ pick for a shot at Taylor Hall.

If Thrashers do not win:
Thrashers 1st Round (8th): Trade for Halak/Price
New Jersey 1st Round (20-30): draft Kabanov/Pulkkinen
I want to know what your logic is behind this.

Old
04-15-2010, 05:48 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
I want to know what your logic is behind this.
My logic for trading ATL 1st round pick is that Atlanta has never had a reliable no. 1 goaltender in the NHL since inception. They need to make the playoffs next season in order to stimulate fans to return to the game and become season ticket holders again. The team this season had its best personnel on defense since ever and also a pretty good offense (with Kovy) but goaltending has always set this team back. Look at the stats over the past few season and Atlanta would regularly be in the bottom 5 of the league.

As fan, I have run of patience of waiting to see whether our goaltending draft picks can make it, after numerous fails of cheap veteran options - Rhodes, Maracle, Defoe, Hnlicka etc. The team missed the playoffs the last 3 season because Lehtonen couldn't get healthy. Pavelec could be the answer in 2 maybe even 1 season but I don't want to wait that long anymore. This team needs to make the playoffs now.

Hedberg who played really well this season under the circumstances but he is 37 and not a no. 1 goaltender in this league and hasn't been for some time. Pavelec only just completed his first full season in the NHL. He is young and will get better but shouldn't be thrust the no. 1 role yet. A good portion of Lehtonen's problems can be blamed at Atlanta's previous coaches for overworking him when younger when clearly he wasn't ready. I don't want that to happen with Pavelec and I even think that he played too many games this season as a rookie.

The team needs another top 6 forward after trading Kovy but I hope they get a veteran via UFA market rather than using another top 10 pick. I think it is time the team uses this pick to trade for a legit no. 1 goaltender on the market. I have targeted Montreal's goaltenders because they are both RFAs and it is very likely that one of them will be made available. The oldest Halak is only 25 so he still has several seasons of his prime left, and will shore up Atlanta's goaltending for at least the next 5 seasons.

For NJ's first round pick, my logic is to draft the best talented forward available at the time of the pick. Kabanov/Pulkkinen are top 10 talents who may slide into the 20's due to attitude and injury issues.

Last edited by Peter Sidorkiewicz: 04-15-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old
04-16-2010, 01:11 AM
AintLifeGrand

maybe its the beer tonight b ut i was thinking hard about the possibility of the Birdz drafting a center with the 8th pick. Other than Morin- who strikes me as a player that will probably shift to a winger once he turns pro and O'dell- who probably won't pan out to be a succesful top 6 center, the Thrashers don't really have a reliable elite prospect a center.

Since we have never really developed an elite center and that there is a need that must be fufilled at this position, I am willing to bet we pick a center. As much as I want to draft Nino, I have a feeling he's either going to be gone by the 8th pick or we will pass over him to address the organizational weakness at Center.

Therefore, I think one of these guys will be donning a Thrash jersey come draft day:

1. Granlund- Slick playmaker with great hands; probably NHL ready considering the pts he's putting up in Finnish Elite League. Would do a great job of feeding Gucci Kane the puck in the future

2. Ryan Johansen- Nino's teammate in Portland, has come on strong in the latter part of the year and played at over a point per game pace in the WHL playoffs. Projected to have a ceiling than Nino. Has great size, great 2 way game, I wouldn't be too pissed picking him.

3. Riley Sheahan- Projected to go as early as number 5 or as late as the 20s... plays a Kessleresque game, good character guy.

4. Alex Burmistrov- Don't really know that much about this dude, but I've heard he could pan out to be like a Pavel Datsyuk like player. Not as keen on him as I am on some other guys. Still wouldn't be a bad pick up.

On another note, I really want to pick up Jeff Skinner or Kabanov if they are still available by the time we use the Devil's pick.

Old
04-16-2010, 09:05 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

I don't want to trade our pick but I'd take into consideration trading NJD pick if the offer is there.

We could sign a center.

Old
04-16-2010, 10:20 PM
Telfo
THRASHERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
I don't want to trade our pick but I'd take into consideration trading NJD pick if the offer is there.

We could sign a center.
there are a bunch of players around the same level that will be available... i wouldnt get your hopes up too much about Nino

Old
04-16-2010, 10:22 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telfo View Post
there are a bunch of players around the same level that will be available... i wouldnt get your hopes up too much about Nino
Why? He might not go 7th and we could snag him easy.

Old
04-17-2010, 06:42 AM
headsigh
leave at once!

If he's stil available with the NJD pick I want to see Jeff Skinner in a Thrashers sweater. He reminds me of Ilya Kovalchuk with his shot, except with better two-way skills and he doesn't take shifts off.

Old
04-17-2010, 09:18 AM
Sabreality

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post

1. Granlund- Slick playmaker with great hands; probably NHL ready considering the pts he's putting up in Finnish Elite League. Would do a great job of feeding Gucci Kane the puck in the future

2. Ryan Johansen- Nino's teammate in Portland, has come on strong in the latter part of the year and played at over a point per game pace in the WHL playoffs. Projected to have a ceiling than Nino. Has great size, great 2 way game, I wouldn't be too pissed picking him.

3. Riley Sheahan- Projected to go as early as number 5 or as late as the 20s... plays a Kessleresque game, good character guy.

4. Alex Burmistrov- Don't really know that much about this dude, but I've heard he could pan out to be like a Pavel Datsyuk like player. Not as keen on him as I am on some other guys. Still wouldn't be a bad pick up.

On another note, I really want to pick up Jeff Skinner or Kabanov if they are still available by the time we use the Devil's pick.
i like these options very much, i'm not 100% sold on Nino and wouldnt mind taking Granlund or Johansen instead of him...8 is too high for Sheahan or Burmi imo.

i'd be shocked if Skinner falls so far too, maybe he's there if the Devils get knocked out early (low 20's), but i have him closer to 12-16.

Trading down is always an option and i'd have no problem moving down a few slots to 12 or 13 (while picking up an early 2nd) to still have a shot at a Skinner or Sheahan.

Old
04-17-2010, 10:16 AM
headsigh
leave at once!

I'm high on skinner the way ASF has a mancrush with Nino.

A little bit small but scores in buckets and doesn't let down defensively (checked Seguin rather hard in the OHL playoffs I believe).

Also, a certain other player was deemed a step slow/too small to play in the NHL and I'm pretty sure he's now a national hero.

If he is available on the NJD pick I will throw a ****fit if Dudley passes on him.

If he's available on the second round and Dudley still passes on him I will pull a Minecraft Creeper and explode in MAXIMUM ANGER

Last edited by headsigh: 04-17-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Old
04-17-2010, 12:06 PM
Thrashers94
We fly as one

Jack Campbell shutout Canada 5-0 in the U-18 Championships in Belarus last night. We should seriously think about drafting him with NJ's pick.

Old
04-18-2010, 12:56 AM
Taxman

It is very possible the Canes select Nino right in front of us. If they don't, than he will be there for us. I wonder if Dudley would select Nino, Granlund or Tarasenko if given the choice.

I'd be happy with any of the three.

Last edited by Taxman: 04-18-2010 at 01:05 AM.
Closed Thread