HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

250 gig HDD of music corrupt...

Old
04-04-2010, 04:04 PM
Mongo
Mongo likes candy!

vCash: 500
250 gig HDD of music corrupt...

Ok I need some help if its possible

The other day my external HDD enclosure was pulled out of the usb port while being used. Now every time I try to access the drive it asks to be formatted and I cancel that. Then I attempt to explore the drive and it says

:/F not accessible

The volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and the volume is not corrupted.

Not sure what to do. Obviously I'm not wanting to format and lose my music.

I tried to run a data recovery app (getdataback) but didnt seem to really work all that well.(only found some useless folders from old game mods)

thanks to all in advance

Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 04:05 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
You can always re-rip your CDs, or re-download the songs from iTunes/Amazon. It lets you do it more than once, I believe.

All of your music is legally obtained, right?

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 04:10 PM
Mongo
Mongo likes candy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post

technically I have no idea if the music was legal or not since it was given to me from a friend But he seems like a nice guy

Old
04-04-2010, 04:19 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
You can always re-rip your CDs, or re-download the songs from iTunes/Amazon. It lets you do it more than once, I believe.

Amazon doesn't let you re-download for free... It simply takes you to a screen that informs you that you already purchased that particular track and then asks you if you want to proceed, you will get billed again (it's happened to me)

wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Puck
Ninja

Ask a friend with geek know-how and disk repair software to check your drive. Luckily it is a portable external and you can take it to his place for repair. If you are lucky, it might just be a corrupt sector that went bad during the unfortunate USB disconnect.

You could do a chkdsk routine in Windows to read and repair but if you didn't know this, best to let someone who does. Hopefully it is just a bad sector and you will just lose the song in that sector and save the rest.

Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 06:59 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger

Probably a corrupt partition table. I'd bet most of the data is still there.

Puck is right, if you know someone with the know how / software buy them dinner and get them to do it.

I had a corrupt partition table once on my frontline system. I purchased Partition Table doctor and it fixed it right up. I know of no free alternative. Only had to use it once but it's a great program. I keep it in my bag of tricks.

Getdataback is a similar program ( I guess) so if it only found unrelated folders perhaps your data was destroyed when your partition table got whacked. If your HD has head crashes/bad sectors that could have caused your bad partition table. I would not trust that drive again until I checked it with the manufacturers tools used to determine RMA status.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:19 AM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

You can use this for free to see if it can find your files. Many other useful tools/suites on this site. This is what I used. It took a long time to catalog all my data, but got almost all of it back with only a few files that were corrupted.

Tried partition fixers, but none could get it back.

Quote:
Note: Free Download offers free evaluation of the software & preview all the lost files and folder that can be recovered by the software.
http://www.stellarinfo.com/download.htm

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Led Zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 05:38 PM
Mongo
Mongo likes candy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
You can use this for free to see if it can find your files. Many other useful tools/suites on this site. This is what I used. It took a long time to catalog all my data, but got almost all of it back with only a few files that were corrupted.

Tried partition fixers, but none could get it back.

http://www.stellarinfo.com/download.htm
thanks for the info. will try it after the bruins game.