HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Pre-series thread: Detroit/Calgary

Closed Thread

Old
04-20-2004, 01:29 AM
mc

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to mc
Pre-series thread: Detroit/Calgary

should be a real interesting matchup. Calgary is somewhat similar to Nashville, but the Preds did not have a player even close to the talent level of Iginla. Cant wait to get this series going.

Here is the schedule:

#1 Detroit vs. #6 Calgary
1 Thu., April 22 Calgary at Detroit 7:30 p.m.
2 Sat., April 24 Calgary at Detroit 3:00 p.m.
3 Tue., April 27 Detroit at Calgary 9:00 p.m.
4 Thu., April 29 Detroit at Calgary 10:00 p.m.
5* Sat., May 1 Calgary at Detroit 3:00 p.m.
6* Tue., May 3 Detroit at Calgary 10:00 p.m.
7* Wed., May 5 Calgary at Detroit 7:00 p.m.

Old
04-20-2004, 01:41 AM
Snakeeye

Afternoon hockey... Absolutely disgusting that the NHL is pandering to ABC, who couldnt care less about hockey, while CBC gets the shaft.

Old
04-20-2004, 01:45 AM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeeye
Afternoon hockey... Absolutely disgusting that the NHL is pandering to ABC, who couldnt care less about hockey, while CBC gets the shaft.

completely agree.

also, someone needs to beat the crap out of the ABC announcers. They are horrible.

As for the series, i'm going to say 4-2 Detroit. That was my prediction for the Nashville series, and mine for this one.

I've been a closet Flames fan since i used to rent the flames 89 stanley cup run video from our local video store(it was that or Al MacInnis Slap Shot, boring after a few times).

Kipper will be tough, and hopefully the wings can take Iggy out of it.

Calgary has a very good team, it will be a tough series.

Old
04-20-2004, 01:46 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeeye

I can give you 600 million reasons why the NHL "panders" to ABC. Besides, those games are being played in Detroit, do you think CBC would show them over the Leafs, Habs, or Senators? And don't even think about suggesting they should be played at 10:00 pm Eastern so CBC can show a double-header.

Old
04-20-2004, 02:12 AM
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Quote:
4 Thu., April 29 Detroit at Calgary 10:00 p.m.
Yes!!!! I get a game on my birthday!!!! Never thought I'd say I'd get to see a Flames playoff game on my birthday.

2011-12: The start of a new making the playoffs streak!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CalDevil3219
Old
04-20-2004, 02:14 AM
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Iggy vs Chelios is going to be the big match-up to watch. Hopefully Calgary can get some of their walking wounded back. Getting Simon and at least one of Lydman of Gauthier back would be huge as well. Calgary expended a lot of, and I mean a lot energy against Vancouver. How much is left in the tank?

Old
04-20-2004, 02:18 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Devil
Iggy vs Chelios is going to be the big match-up to watch. Hopefully Calgary can get some of their walking wounded back. Getting Simon and at least one of Lydman of Gauthier back would be huge as well. Calgary expended a lot of, and I mean a lot energy against Vancouver. How much is left in the tank?
If Dave Lewis is smart, he will avoid that matchup as much as possible and force Iginla to play against the best in the business, Niklas Lidstrom.

Old
04-20-2004, 02:37 AM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Devil
Yes!!!! I get a game on my birthday!!!! Never thought I'd say I'd get to see a Flames playoff game on my birthday.
Word Up, the Saturday game is on my birthday as well, I'm really liking the timing this year, its been great.

Old
04-20-2004, 02:49 AM
BlackArcher101

Send a message via ICQ to BlackArcher101 Send a message via MSN to BlackArcher101
Haha, the game on the 22nd is on by b-day too! How sweet it is.

Old
04-20-2004, 03:26 AM
n00dles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon
If Dave Lewis is smart, he will avoid that matchup as much as possible and force Iginla to play against the best in the business, Niklas Lidstrom.
Chelios is too slow for Iginla, even his positioning will not help him much against him. as Chelios is also already somewhat prone to taking hooking penalties he just might pull a "shanahan" ( la first round) if he is matched against him.

Lidstrom is the better man for this job. the best defender detroit has to offer against the most dangerful player of Calgary.

Should be a great series!
Detroit 4-2

Last edited by n00dles: 04-20-2004 at 05:59 AM.
Old
04-20-2004, 03:45 AM
Birko19

Quote:
I agree, Lidstrom is the man for this job, he's perfect in positioning himself and he has enough speed to handle Iggy.

I know Iginla is strong but Lidstrom also has strength, I think he's very underrated at that department, he can handle big strong forwards and hadle them well too, maybe not with big hits but he blocks them well and doesn't give them room to make a move.

Old
04-20-2004, 04:42 AM
Shin Pad

First it's Ohlund vs Iggy, and now it's Lidstrom. What is it with the opposition sending Swedes out to check Iggy?

Old
04-20-2004, 10:45 AM
Higgy4

Quote:
I agree.

Old
04-20-2004, 10:52 AM
guinness
those were the days

Wings in 6, key matchups should be Lidstrom vs. Iginla (Chelios is too old to contain him as well) and Kiprusoff vs. Cujo. If the Wings stick to the same gameplan that they had during the last 2 games against Nashville, they'll be fine. But if Shanahan or Chelios start taking stupid penalties and get frustrated, it will allow Calgary to do some damage.

Old
04-20-2004, 10:52 AM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Pad
First it's Ohlund vs Iggy, and now it's Lidstrom. What is it with the opposition sending Swedes out to check Iggy?

Lets hope (Wings fans) Lidstrom does alot better job against him than Olhund.

Old
04-20-2004, 10:56 AM
Higgy4

I really think the Preds and Flames are very, very similar teams. That bodes well for the Wings. It took them 6 games to figure out the Preds. Hopefully they know what to expect a bit more now, and adjust quicker to the speed of the Flames.

Old
04-20-2004, 10:58 AM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWI19
Lets hope (Wings fans) Lidstrom does alot better job against him than Olhund.

I think Ohlund got off his game a little bit against Iggy. He tried to be more physical than he normally is. Lidstrom wont do that. He will just play his usual stellar positional defense and keep Iggy on the outside as much as possible. Nick wont get sucked into any physical matchup with Iginla.

Old
04-20-2004, 11:00 AM
OMA

Should be a fun series.

Calgary is similar to Nashville. Although I'd say our defence is a little bit harder-hitting and our team as a whole is a bit bigger. As good as Steve Sullivan is (he really impressed me down the stretch..) I don't think he compares to Iginla. That's the difference between the two clubs.

Calgary's beat up though. Reinprecht and McAmmond are gone for the year. Lydman and Gauthier look to be gone for awhile. Simon is "rumored" to be back by about game 3 at the earliest.

Calgary should put up a fight, but it won't be enough. I'd say Wings in 6ish.

But as a Flames fan, that's fine by me. This far exceeds my expectations for this year.

Old
04-20-2004, 11:34 AM
MotownMadman

This is going to be a very exciting series for all the reasons posted. It will be fun to watch the games in Calgary- you Flames fans are intense and never stopped cheering your team in game 6! I think this will be another hard fought series and of course I'm rooting for the Wings: hoping for a Wings/Avs WCF!

GO WINGS!!!

Old
04-20-2004, 12:06 PM
chriss_co

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotownMadman
This is going to be a very exciting series for all the reasons posted. It will be fun to watch the games in Calgary- you Flames fans are intense and never stopped cheering your team in game 6!
No kidding.. Im so proud to be a Calgarian after watching us at the Dome and comparing them to say GM Place...

GO FLAMES GO!!!

Old
04-20-2004, 12:20 PM
Laperriere22*

I think Calgary can pull off the upset in this one. Say, Flames in 6. The Wings looked pretty pisspoor against the Preds and Calgary has one thing the Preds didn't, size on their blueline that likes to use it. The smaller skill guys on the Wings are going to get punished in a big way by the Flames D and I don't think the Wings will score goals too well after getting hammered around. There is also the Flames work ethic and speed up front that will give most of the Wings D a lot of problems. I definitely like the Flames chances in this one. It's a classic match-up: hardworking team that plays like a team to make up for having lesser talent in a lot of positions compared to their opponent versus a veteran team that plays hard for a period here and there and relies on talent to win games more than hard work. I'll take the hardworking team more often than not in such a match-up.

Old
04-20-2004, 12:28 PM
DarioinDenver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laperriere22
I think Calgary can pull off the upset in this one. Say, Flames in 6. The Wings looked pretty pisspoor against the Preds and Calgary has one thing the Preds didn't, size on their blueline that likes to use it. The smaller skill guys on the Wings are going to get punished in a big way by the Flames D and I don't think the Wings will score goals too well after getting hammered around. There is also the Flames work ethic and speed up front that will give most of the Wings D a lot of problems. I definitely like the Flames chances in this one. It's a classic match-up: hardworking team that plays like a team to make up for having lesser talent in a lot of positions compared to their opponent versus a veteran team that plays hard for a period here and there and relies on talent to win games more than hard work. I'll take the hardworking team more often than not in such a match-up.
I tend to agree. The work ethic of Calgary gives me flashbacks to the Kings of the last few years with better goaltending. If Detroit doesn't bring their hard nosed game to the table right away they could be punch drunk early in the series. Oh, and Detroit is going to absolutely loath Ville Niemenen.

Old
04-20-2004, 01:06 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm not a flames fan but now I hate DRW. Calgary can beat them but they have to use their speed and punish the old guys hard and often. The first 4 games in the series against Nashville, DRW tried to skate with Nashville and found out quickly they couldn't the last two games they trapped and kept 3 or 4 guys back at all times clogging up the neutral zone, taking the speed out of the game. Calgary has more size though and should be able to fight threw it better than Nashville. Calgary down low should do well against DRW too as they're defensemen although not as mobile are more physical than Nashville's.

Old
04-20-2004, 01:25 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Quote:
agreed... Lewis needs to have the pairing for schneider and lidstrom out against Iginla at all times, probably along with the grind line...

Old
04-20-2004, 01:43 PM
Zhackpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
I'm not a flames fan but now I hate DRW. Calgary can beat them but they have to use their speed and punish the old guys hard and often. The first 4 games in the series against Nashville, DRW tried to skate with Nashville and found out quickly they couldn't the last two games they trapped and kept 3 or 4 guys back at all times clogging up the neutral zone, taking the speed out of the game. Calgary has more size though and should be able to fight threw it better than Nashville. Calgary down low should do well against DRW too as they're defensemen although not as mobile are more physical than Nashville's.

If Calgary can dump and chase like they did against Vancouver, Hatcher and Chelios will take dumb penalties in retaliation for being hit hard. Then eventually one or both will end up getting hurt. Even in his prime in Montreal and Chicago, Chelios liked to hit more than he liked to get hit. Same thing with Hatcher in Dallas. Living in Texas for the past 8 years I watched Hatcher a lot. He loves to hit but he can come unglued when he gets hit while retrieving pucks deep in his own end. Schneider can also be goaded into taking a bad penalty. The Flames need to dump, put pressure on and force Detroit to over handle the puck in their own end, basically the same thing they did against Vancouver. Sopel was a good example of how playing while always looking over your shoulder can disrupt your game. Jovanovski was lucky late in game 7 as he coughed it up a couple of times as well. I don't think he was used to being hit that way.

Chris Clark has to quit using his stick. If he stays out of the box that will be a miracle. When are the Flames going to learn to quit slashing the opponents sticks?

If the Flames defence can knock Datsyuk and Zetterberg around early in the series it will throw them off their game. Once that happens the Flames will have a good chance. Face offs will continue to be a factor in this series, especially with Schneider and Lidstrom at the point.

I think goaltending could be an issue with the Wings as well. Legace didn't look good and Cujo wasn't really tested. Only 44 shots in about 2 games and a period of action for Cujo. Flames will generate more shots and more traffic in front of the Wings net than Nashville did.

Flames in 6 despite losing game 1 because of road legs and injuries. If the Flames can pull off game 1 then I could see it being a 5 game series. Older teams like the Wings tend to do well in the regular season and then fizzle in the playoffs. Now that the Flames have tasted a series win they are young and hungry.

The extra day of rest between games 2 and 3 will benefit the Flames and their injuries more than the Wings.

Last edited by Zhackpot: 04-20-2004 at 01:51 PM.
Closed Thread