Zidlicky is not our best player.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 12:29 PM
mnwildgophers

vCash: 500
Some new Russo tweets for some thought:

Quote:
Talked to #mnwild GM Chuck Fletcher. Josh Harding underwent hip surgery & Fletcher doesn't think surgery will affect ability to trade him.
Quote:
With Backstrom's no-trade, it is very clear that Fletcher hopes to use Harding as the chip to acquire a scorer or center this summer.
Nothing we didn't really know, but thought it was interesting.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 10:06 PM
shleeban

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
i have never seen you say anything positive about the wild here OR on the wild website. Im starting to think you are a risebrough fan (or him himself) and are just upset to be upset. Zidlicky has the FRANCHISE HIGH for dmen in points, so think about that again about him being overpaid, because he could easily make another mil in FA

shleeban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 11:31 AM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Quote:
Quote:
I want to move Zidlicky. Seriously. Move him. I can't believe he'll be making 4 million the next three years.
Who said he was our best player? However, defensively, he is the only one that has been able to consistently produce game in and game out. Even Burns cannot say that he has that distinction at this point in time. So yes, his $4M is actually better spent on him that even if KJ was still with the team because he will certainly still get about the same amount for his contract which was hovering near the $5M for a player we basically have in Zanon who makes about 1/4 of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
Some new Russo tweets for some thought:

Nothing we didn't really know, but thought it was interesting.
If that is all that Russo is going to get outta him, I could do his job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post

I would be disappointed to see #24 in a Wild uni next season.
Oh you will. His name is Marty Havlat. #24 is his original jersey number and as soon as Boogaard is gone, that number will be his again.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 11:48 AM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
So yes, his $4M is actually better spent on him that even if KJ was still with the team because he will certainly still get about the same amount for his contract which was hovering near the $5M for a player we basically have in Zanon who makes about 1/4 of that.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your comment - if so, disregard. In terms of points they might be roughly equal, but Zanon and Johnsson are not the same player. Johnsson's greatest strength is his ability to move the puck up the ice. After the trade the Wild seemed to spend a lot more time in their own zone because the D had a tougher time making a good first pass or skating it out.

I bet Fletcher preferred to keep Johnsson, and Johnsson wanted to stay. They were just too far apart on price. Once Fletcher realized this Johnnson was as good as traded & moved on to resigning Zidlicky.

UMD05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 11:53 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMD Bob View Post
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your comment - if so, disregard. In terms of points they might be roughly equal, but Zanon and Johnsson are not the same player. Johnsson's greatest strength is his ability to move the puck up the ice. After the trade the Wild seemed to spend a lot more time in their own zone because the D had a tougher time making a good first pass or skating it out.

I bet Fletcher preferred to keep Johnsson, and Johnsson wanted to stay. They were just too far apart on price. Once Fletcher realized this Johnnson was as good as traded & moved on to resigning Zidlicky.
Your pretty spot on. I did a terrible job actually going into detail with it a little.

You are right, and I acknowledge quite a few weeks ago that we were spending far too much time down there now than ever before and credited that directly with KJ being the reason behind why we were able to get it to neutral zone and at least start making a push for the forecheck. All of these guys have the ability to fill that role up, I just think it felt more of a rushed trade to get him out of there ASAP that most of the guys didn't know what to really do since that was Kim's job while he was on the ice for the 22+ minutes a game.

And I think he would of rather of kept KJ than Zids too though. However, I won't complain with the offense we still have because we kept Marek.

Old
04-14-2010, 12:11 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Your pretty spot on. I did a terrible job actually going into detail with it a little.

You are right, and I acknowledge quite a few weeks ago that we were spending far too much time down there now than ever before and credited that directly with KJ being the reason behind why we were able to get it to neutral zone and at least start making a push for the forecheck. All of these guys have the ability to fill that role up, I just think it felt more of a rushed trade to get him out of there ASAP that most of the guys didn't know what to really do since that was Kim's job while he was on the ice for the 22+ minutes a game.

And I think he would of rather of kept KJ than Zids too though. However, I won't complain with the offense we still have because we kept Marek.
KJ was very good at getting the puck out, but like you said, Burns/Barker/Zidlicky I think all have the ability to do what KJ did, they just have to show up and do it. I know that TR wants us to skate up ice with speed, but we gotta stop trying to do too much. It seemed like the team packed it in after a couple of losses after the Olympic break, which was rather disappointing.

I don't see us bringing in any defensive help this offseason since we are set there, but I think that we will be okay on the blueline this offseason, we just need everyone to work their butt off in the offseason so that we can get where we want to be next year.

Old
04-14-2010, 01:31 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
KJ was very good at getting the puck out, but like you said, Burns/Barker/Zidlicky I think all have the ability to do what KJ did, they just have to show up and do it. I know that TR wants us to skate up ice with speed, but we gotta stop trying to do too much. It seemed like the team packed it in after a couple of losses after the Olympic break, which was rather disappointing.

I don't see us bringing in any defensive help this offseason since we are set there, but I think that we will be okay on the blueline this offseason, we just need everyone to work their butt off in the offseason so that we can get where we want to be next year.
In all honesty if Burns can step it up a notch, we really won't miss him at all....

Old
04-14-2010, 01:47 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
In all honesty if Burns can step it up a notch, we really won't miss him at all....
If the end of this year is any indication, he will have a great year next year.

Old
04-20-2010, 06:57 PM
Jbcraig1883

Sheppard for Nick Foligno...

Foligno is more physical, has put up more points than Shepp..has underachieved and will turn 23 in October.

I don't what OTT fans would think but I am trying to think of something close to Lats/Pouliot.

I don't think anyone would confuse either Shepp or Foligno with the skill of Lats/Pouliot but I think at this point in their careers, their talent/age/RFA status is fairly similar. And who knows what a change of scenery would do.

I would rather try something along those lines then trade him for a 2nd round/3rd round draft pick. And, I don't know what he would add to a package...

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 07:49 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocksta18 View Post
Sheppard for Nick Foligno...

Foligno is more physical, has put up more points than Shepp..has underachieved and will turn 23 in October.

I don't what OTT fans would think but I am trying to think of something close to Lats/Pouliot.

I don't think anyone would confuse either Shepp or Foligno with the skill of Lats/Pouliot but I think at this point in their careers, their talent/age/RFA status is fairly similar. And who knows what a change of scenery would do.

I would rather try something along those lines then trade him for a 2nd round/3rd round draft pick. And, I don't know what he would add to a package...
From what I've gathered, Sens fans think pretty highly of Foligno (from reading other proposals that include him). I don't think he and Shep are on the same level value-wise. I'd sure do it, though.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 08:17 PM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
From what I've gathered, Sens fans think pretty highly of Foligno (from reading other proposals that include him). I don't think he and Shep are on the same level value-wise. I'd sure do it, though.
That is what I figured. I don't try to think of trades generally without trying to see the value of a player but figured I'd see what you guys think, at least from a Wild perspective.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 10:03 PM
Wildlife

Quote:
Oh you will. His name is Marty Havlat. #24 is his original jersey number and as soon as Boogaard is gone, that number will be his again.
Well as far as I know his ORIGINAL jersey number in the NHL was #9. But anyways, I hope he keeps #14. I think it looks pretty slick on him.

Wildlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 10:38 PM
Mama Shinkaruk
For Mom of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildlife View Post
Well as far as I know his ORIGINAL jersey number in the NHL was #9. But anyways, I hope he keeps #14. I think it looks pretty slick on him.
I like 14 on him as well, more than 24

Mama Shinkaruk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 09:15 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:

Sorry Marty, 24 is rafter bound once Boogie leaves

Surly Furious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 09:28 AM
nickschultzfan

Pipe Dream:

Step 1: Trade Harding, Barker, Miettinen, Sheppard, and a pick to the Blue for Boyes, Berglund and the UFA rights to Colaiacovo. Sign Colaiacovo for around 2.5m. (I've heard his numbers could be all over the map though).

Step 2: Dump Bouchard and his contract. Dump Boogy. Send Wellman and any other expensive 4th liners to the AHL. Keep up only cheap guys (Ebbett, Earl, Kassian).

Step 3: Sign Kovalchuk. (Gasp!) I'm hoping his value has dropped enough, and that there is a lack of cap space in other teams. Maybe he can be signed for around 7m/year.

Re-sign the RFA like actual RFAs. Don't give Lats a big contract just because. He's still an RFA. Treat him like one. Give him a one year deal if possible.

Next year, lines look like:

Bruno-Koivu-Boyes
Kovalchuk-Berglund-Kobasew
Lats-Brodz-Havlat
Kassian-Ebbet-Clutterbuck
Cheap player X, Cheap player Y

Burns-Schultz
Zannon-Zidlicky
Colaiacovo-Stoner
Noreau

Backstrom
Cheap back-up

If the cap goes a little bit, we could just make it under with some good contract negotiation by Fletcher.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 11:01 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Pipe Dream:

Step 1: Trade Harding, Barker, Miettinen, Sheppard, and a pick to the Blue for Boyes, Berglund and the UFA rights to Colaiacovo. Sign Colaiacovo for around 2.5m. (I've heard his numbers could be all over the map though).

Step 2: Dump Bouchard and his contract. Dump Boogy. Send Wellman and any other expensive 4th liners to the AHL. Keep up only cheap guys (Ebbett, Earl, Kassian).

Step 3: Sign Kovalchuk. (Gasp!) I'm hoping his value has dropped enough, and that there is a lack of cap space in other teams. Maybe he can be signed for around 7m/year.

Re-sign the RFA like actual RFAs. Don't give Lats a big contract just because. He's still an RFA. Treat him like one. Give him a one year deal if possible.

Next year, lines look like:

Bruno-Koivu-Boyes
Kovalchuk-Berglund-Kobasew
Lats-Brodz-Havlat
Kassian-Ebbet-Clutterbuck
Cheap player X, Cheap player Y

Burns-Schultz
Zannon-Zidlicky
Colaiacovo-Stoner
Noreau

Backstrom
Cheap back-up

If the cap goes a little bit, we could just make it under with some good contract negotiation by Fletcher.
Says it all...not one of those steps are realistic

Old
04-23-2010, 01:30 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Says it all...not one of those steps are realistic
Not true at all. The Wild can dump Boogaard and sign Latendresse to a one-year deal; however everything else is pretty much out there.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 02:51 PM
Casper
30 goal grinder

Quote:
Step 2: Dump Bouchard and his contract.
Jesus Christ.

It is amazing how quickly Bouchard became the local whipping boy once Skoula left town. He is a 60 pt player with a serious set of hands. His 46 pt season occurred when the wild had one of the worst rosters in the entire NHL.The team practically consisted of him, Koivu, and Bruno. Irregardless, he still had the third most points on the team.

Dumping Bouchard for nothing is the equivalent of loosing Rolston and Demitra for nothing - this team simply can't afford it. The wild need him to play next season - either so he can provide some desperately needed puck possession skill or to showcase that skill so the wild can package him in a trade and get the type of player that we need.

Many people are advocating going with the BPA for the draft. This is the same concept, we have such a lack of talent on this team that we can't be picky about what form that talent comes to us, we just need it.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 02:53 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Not true at all. The Wild can dump Boogaard and sign Latendresse to a one-year deal; however everything else is pretty much out there.
Ha! I skipped right over the points on Scrottie and Lats.

Old
04-23-2010, 02:57 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Jesus Christ.

It is amazing how quickly Bouchard became the local whipping boy once Skoula left town. He is a 60 pt player with a serious set of hands. His 46 pt season occurred when the wild had one of the worst rosters in the entire NHL.The team practically consisted of him, Koivu, and Bruno. Irregardless, he still had the third most points on the team.

Dumping Bouchard for nothing is the equivalent of loosing Rolston and Demitra for nothing - this team simply can't afford it. The wild need him to play next season - either so he can provide some desperately needed puck possession skill or to showcase that skill so the wild can package him in a trade and get the type of player that we need.

Many people are advocating going with the BPA for the draft. This is the same concept, we have such a lack of talent on this team that we can't be picky about what form that talent comes to us, we just need it.
I'm still blaming things on Martin Skoula.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 03:05 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Jesus Christ.

Bouchard's contract doesn't really bother me at the moment. When he is healthy, it may be a slight overpayment for what he brings to the team, but not too outrageous. And now, during his concussion problems, he doesn't count against the cap. The worst case scenario would be him coming back and struggling, not being able to find a place on the right line, and putting up Shep-type numbers. THEN, I start would to get annoyed.

Old
04-23-2010, 11:53 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
I'm still blaming things on Martin Skoula.
Given the contract Skoula had, he was a good defenseman for the Wild. Didn't understand why we didn't bring him back. Then again Dumpster Doug probably found a better and cheaper player.

As for Zidlicky getting more money on the free agent market. Good, trade him. We're already tight up against the cap and dumping both Johnson's contract and Zid's would have helped this team a lot.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2010, 07:18 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Given the contract Skoula had, he was a good defenseman for the Wild. Didn't understand why we didn't bring him back. Then again Dumpster Doug probably found a better and cheaper player.

As for Zidlicky getting more money on the free agent market. Good, trade him. We're already tight up against the cap and dumping both Johnson's contract and Zid's would have helped this team a lot.
Skoula is a terrible player at the NHL level. Was glad to see Fletcher cut him loose because in all honesty, Hnidy was leaps and bounds better than he was. And you can't dump 2 players that are in your Top 4 bro, I'm sorry. That would of left us either hitting the FA for someone (and probably would of paid more for them) or hoping and praying that not only could Barker play Top 4 minutes, but pray that Schultz still had the legs to pull of 20 minute nights consistently.

Old
04-24-2010, 07:19 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Sorry Marty, 24 is rafter bound once Boogie leaves
OMG if that happens, I will lose respect for this organization like you wouldn't believe.