HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Recovery from major injury?

Old
06-24-2010, 09:32 AM
Halifaxhab

vCash: 500
Recovery from major injury?

I recently broke both my tibia and fibula in my left leg. Needed two plates and 18 screws.

Has anyone else here suffered a similar injury or knows someone who did and how long did it take to recover from it and return to the ice?

Halifaxhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 12:40 PM
doobie604

not as bad but i broke my ankle and it's got 2 screws in it. for getting back on my feet and walk normally pain free almost took 6 months and after that i got back on the ice. but couldn't keep up with the same level of play till a year later. i guess that all depends on how hard you rehab. every body is different, hopefully you can recover quick.

doobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 12:04 AM
jmichael7753

I pull a sidney crosby a year and a half ago and went feet first into the boards, distroying all the tendons in my ankle, and Cracked my Tibia. They had to go in a surgically repair the tendons put two screws into the tibia to keep it together. I was in a hard cast for 2 months, a walking boot for another 2.5 months, then two months of physical therapy. So I didnt even start skating again till about the 6.5 month mark, and that wasnt even hockey related work that was just skating in free skates to get the feel back. I didnt get back to hockey related work outs until the 9 month mark. I have a metal support attached to the side of my boot for extra support because it is still not back to 100 percent to this day.

jmichael7753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Halifaxhab

Thanks guys. It's been a month now and I have another week to go in a non-weight bearing cast. After that it is full on rehab with physio, and I have hired on a personal trainer, but that is more so that I can return to full duties faster as I am in the military and a full recovery means I'm able to deploy again. But my goal is to return to my regular weekly pick-up hockey game around Christmas (about 6 months after the injury).

Halifaxhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 11:57 PM
IDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
Thanks guys. It's been a month now and I have another week to go in a non-weight bearing cast. After that it is full on rehab with physio, and I have hired on a personal trainer, but that is more so that I can return to full duties faster as I am in the military and a full recovery means I'm able to deploy again. But my goal is to return to my regular weekly pick-up hockey game around Christmas (about 6 months after the injury).
good to hear...hope a speedy recov. is in order for you....just got a "bucket handle tear" in my medial miniscus in my left knee....i was supposed to have surgery this week to repair it but told they to go pound sand because my knee feels fine now....i know its not going to repair itself but IMO its better to have a tear in it then to get 50% of it taken out....i also just started a season about a month ago and have been out for the past 2 weeks, i think im going to play next week....anyone else have a similar injury?

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote