HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Rob Blake's hit on Peter Mueller - late 3rd period 04/04/10

Old
04-05-2010, 02:53 PM
shadow1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Oh no, they missed interference? That's a tragedy. I'll bet the games are fixed.
You're a homer, plain and simple. If Hannan or Foote would have injured one of San Jose's players in an incident where that players head hit the boards, you'd see my point. It was a play that shouldn't have happened in the first place, and a player is injured because of it. Just because he didn't completely ram Mueller from behind doesn't mean the play shouldn't be suspension worthy.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 02:57 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooper wings fan View Post
Once the player was hurt they should have made the call right. Stop with the because if the samething had happened to Marleau the tune of the SJS fans would be a lot difference.
Enough with this nonsense. Torrey Mitchell got his head driven into the boards by Scott Hannan and nobody cried about it. The Thornton injury that came because of a seemingly harmless bump by Edler is basically the equivalent here. Nobody cried about that either. It was a seemingly harmless bump by Blake that Mueller got hurt on. They missed the call and if you want to call a 5 minute major on that, fine. But a suspension would be just plain dumb here.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 03:00 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
Once the player was hurt they should have made the call right. Stop with the because if the samething had happened to Marleau the tune of the SJS fans would be a lot difference.
If that had happened to Marleau I would've said it was a boarding or interference minor because that's exactly what it was. I don't know how some of you were able to watch hockey pre-lockout, because you would've spent half the game complaining about non-calls and "intent to injure" plays.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 03:03 PM
CC Chiefs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Enough with this nonsense. Torrey Mitchell got his head driven into the boards by Scott Hannan and nobody cried about it. The Thornton injury that came because of a seemingly harmless bump by Edler is basically the equivalent here. Nobody cried about that either. It was a seemingly harmless bump by Blake that Mueller got hurt on. They missed the call and if you want to call a 5 minute major on that, fine. But a suspension would be just plain dumb here.
I don't think there should be a suspension! Not even close! IMO it was close to the same situation that happened to Kronwall in the playoffs last year. A player got hurt and referee's gave him 5 and the game.

CC Chiefs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 03:04 PM
CC Chiefs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
If that had happened to Marleau I would've said it was a boarding or interference minor because that's exactly what it was. I don't know how some of you were able to watch hockey pre-lockout, because you would've spent half the game complaining about non-calls and "intent to injure" plays.

Per the rules due to an injury it's a major penalty.

Old
04-05-2010, 03:23 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
Per the rules due to an injury it's a major penalty.
That's a stupid rule IMO but if it's in the rulebook then fine, give him 5. But comparing it to the Ovechkin hit and calling for a suspension is just ridiculous.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 03:26 PM
CC Chiefs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
That's a stupid rule IMO but if it's in the rulebook then fine, give him 5. But comparing it to the Ovechkin hit and calling for a suspension is just ridiculous.
Here it is:

56.4 Major Penalty - The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a major penalty, based on the degree of violence, to a player or goalkeeper guilty of interfering with an opponent (see 56.5).

56.5 Game Misconduct Penalty When a major penalty is imposed under this rule for a foul resulting in an injury of an opponent, a game misconduct shall be imposed.

Old
04-05-2010, 03:30 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
Cinderella team

vCash: 250
After seeing the replay, it wasnt a hit from behind but I still think Blake should get suspended because, we all can agree that Mueller never touched the puck right, So it should be a interference penalty and Mueller got hurt, on a illegal hit.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 03:43 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by quesosauce View Post
exactly, im a casual hockey player and everytime i shoulder check someone my arms stay down, they dont go up and towards the player
Nuff said

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 03:46 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Quote:
Here it is:

56.4 Major Penalty - The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a major penalty, based on the degree of violence, to a player or goalkeeper guilty of interfering with an opponent (see 56.5).

56.5 Game Misconduct Penalty When a major penalty is imposed under this rule for a foul resulting in an injury of an opponent, a game misconduct shall be imposed.
Sigh...

I agree with the rules, but this all just seems to be leading down a road where hits like the one on RJ Umberger from Brian Campbell in the playoffs are gone because players are afraid to get suspended.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 03:47 PM
CC Chiefs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by svatos_the_great View Post
After seeing the replay, it wasnt a hit from behind but I still think Blake should get suspended because, we all can agree that Mueller never touched the puck right, So it should be a interference penalty and Mueller got hurt, on a illegal hit.

I can't agree, there were no suspensions on the following:

Old
04-05-2010, 04:05 PM
chet1926

Quote:
I can't agree, there were no suspensions on the following:

Guess what...there should have been suspensions on both those hits as well. Thats the kind of **** that needs to stop and Blake's hit falls into a similar category.

The NHL needs to start cracking down on this crap. There is no need for that kind of play. You can be physical without being dirty. This is a physical game and I enjoy the physicality of it but a line needs to be drawn. It is pathetic that the NHL says they are cracking down on this junk but yet players like Savard, Booth, Mueller etc. continue to get laid out by cheap shots and nothing is done.

chet1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 04:10 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

If there is a suspension it would be a travesty. Blake shoved a guy who was off balance and an accident happened. He didnt ride a guy hard into the boards and from the replays it looks like a lazy half-assed shove at that.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
Cinderella team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
If there is a suspension it would be a travesty. Blake shoved a guy who was off balance and an accident happened. He didnt ride a guy hard into the boards and from the replays it looks like a lazy half-assed shove at that.
Yes, it would be a travesty.

Old
04-05-2010, 04:18 PM
Le Rosbeef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
The NHL needs to start cracking down on this crap. There is no need for that kind of play. You can be physical without being dirty.
Being physical in chasing a puck? Using your body weight to gain advantage? Are you kidding?!

Mueller was unlucky to get hurt on the play but this was not a "dirty" hit in that it was a premeditated move to cause some damage. If you suspend every hard hit that works out like this then you'll (A) take away a large part what makes the sport great and (B) encourage more guys to simulate injury.

It's a man's sport. Get on with it.

Le Rosbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 04:27 PM
snaggle toof

Quote:
Here it is:

That rule states that a player who has been assigned a major for interfernce, and injured a player on the same hit shall receive a game misconduct, not that any injury on a interfernce call will bump the call from a minor to a major.

snaggle toof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 04:31 PM
ronnyweed

when boys play with men, people get hurt... too bad he got a concussion after finally finding his game, he catches a break and then gets broken

ronnyweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 04:35 PM
CC Chiefs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggle toof View Post
That rule states that a player who has been assigned a major for interfernce, and injured a player on the same hit shall receive a game misconduct, not that any injury on a interfernce call will bump the call from a minor to a major.
I'm not sure what you are trying to say here? The interference caused an injury. That's a 5 minute penalty? The game misconduct is up to the referee. And it state SHALL BE IMPOSED. Not COULD BE IMPOSED.

Old
04-05-2010, 04:36 PM
chet1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkyMcWoo View Post
Being physical in chasing a puck? Using your body weight to gain advantage? Are you kidding?!

Mueller was unlucky to get hurt on the play but this was not a "dirty" hit in that it was a premeditated move to cause some damage. If you suspend every hard hit that works out like this then you'll (A) take away a large part what makes the sport great and (B) encourage more guys to simulate injury.

It's a man's sport. Get on with it.
Well I guess you feel one way about the incident and I feel another way.

I hope you don't cry foul when, one of your teams better players "is slightly off balance" and another teams player aids your player into the boards awkwardly resulting in a concussion and loss of that player for a couple of games.

chet1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 04:49 PM
snaggle toof

Quote:
I'm not sure what you are trying to say here? The interference caused an injury. That's a 5 minute penalty? The game misconduct is up to the referee. And it state SHALL BE IMPOSED. Not COULD BE IMPOSED.
It says an interfernce penalty, that has been ruled a major, and led to an injury will have an automatic game misconduct attached. It does not say that an interfernce penalty that leads to an injury will be automaticly deemed a major penalty.

It's the refs discretion to call the major in the first place, never does it state that a minor for interfernce, that causes an injury is an auto upgrade to a major.

Old
04-05-2010, 04:53 PM
CC Chiefs*

Quote:
It says an interfernce penalty, that has been ruled a major, and led to an injury will have an automatic game misconduct attached. It does not say that an interfernce penalty that leads to an injury will be automaticly deemed a major penalty.

It's the refs discretion to call the major in the first place, never does it state that a minor for interfernce, that causes an injury is an auto upgrade to a major.
I guess you're right. But it's all a moot point because they didn't even call a simple interference and they should have.

Old
04-05-2010, 04:54 PM
snaggle toof

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
Well I guess you feel one way about the incident and I feel another way.

I hope you don't cry foul when, one of your teams better players "is slightly off balance" and another teams player aids your player into the boards awkwardly resulting in a concussion and loss of that player for a couple of games.
Well, if you replace head injury with knee injury it already did happen to Sharks fans last week when Thornton, who was off balance got shoved into the boards by Edler. The result sucks, but it was a hockey play that just had a bad ending, stuff happens, accept it and move on.

Old
04-05-2010, 04:55 PM
snaggle toof

Quote:
I guess you're right. But it's all a moot point because they didn't even call a simple interference and they should have.
That we can agree 100% on.

Old
04-05-2010, 04:57 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
Cinderella team

Quote:
Well, if you replace head injury with knee injury it already did happen to Sharks fans last week when Thornton, who was off balance got shoved into the boards by Edler. The result sucks, but it was a hockey play that just had a bad ending, stuff happens, accept it and move on.
Thornton had the puck the hit was legal, Mueller didnt have the puck the hit was illegal.

Old
04-05-2010, 05:00 PM
LesBeardly

The word suspension is getting thrown around way too often on these boards. The hit should have been a penalty but I see no reason to suspend him.

LesBeardly is offline   Reply With Quote