HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who will the Habs Draft?

View Poll Results: Who will the Habs draft in Round 1?
David Schantz G 1 1.15%
Mike Green D 15 17.24%
Wes O'Neill D 2 2.30%
Roman Voloshenko F 5 5.75%
Boris Valabik D 20 22.99%
Andrej Meszaros D 3 3.45%
Johan Fransson D 23 26.44%
Oscar Hedman D 0 0%
Lukas Kaspar F 1 1.15%
Bruce Graham F 8 9.20%
Other 9 10.34%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2004, 11:49 AM
Jacques Strappe

vCash: 500
Who will the Habs Draft?

Sorry if this has been done already. I couldn't see it anywhere.
Assuming the Habs retain their 18th pick, who do you foresee them picking in the first round of the draft this year?
These options include the top 10 that I THINK will be available at pick #18.

Old
05-11-2004, 12:09 PM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

The most likely picks at 18th overall (at least, in my opinion):

1. Kyle Chipchura
2. Johan Fransson
3. Mike Green
4. Drew Stafford
5. Bruce Graham

These are the ones that could go anywhere from 10th to 20th...

- Alexandre Picard
- Ladislav Smid
- Dave Bolland
- Boris Valabik
- Wes O'Neill

Old
05-11-2004, 12:19 PM
Jacques Strappe

Realizing some of these players may be drafted before 18, while others I think will be gone may be still available, there's obviously going to be a large number of defensemen available. I think Gainey just might take a risk at Valabik - what a horse! Meszaros, if available at 18, could be the man instead though.

Old
05-11-2004, 12:24 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Strappe
Assuming the Habs retain their 18th pick, who do you foresee them picking in the first round of the draft this year?
In the ones you named, Green by a country mile for me. Valabik is also a very interesting choice. And if Chipchura falls that low, he sure could be an interesting pick as well.

Old
05-11-2004, 12:35 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Strappe
I'm not sure about some of the guys (Kaspar, Hedman, Shantz) being really good choices in that spot? But to be honest, I'd be satisfied with pretty much any of the others, and a few who you don't list who might be higher or lower, so it's a pretty good sign overall.

That said, of the guys you list: Mike Green, no contest.
Hon. Mention: Valabik

Old
05-11-2004, 01:01 PM
habster

I don't know about you guys, but i have a feeling that The habs are going to get a Defenseman. A defensive D.

Old
05-11-2004, 01:03 PM
Maithz

vCash:
I hope they will draft Drew Stafford but in the list Boris Valabik

Old
05-11-2004, 02:12 PM
Darcy Wakaluk

Mike Green and Wes O'Neill will, in all likelihood be gone before 18th. Valabik's stock is rising and I wouldn't be surprised if he was gone also. I agree with the general vibe of the thread that Montreal should pick a d-man in the first round, but if those three are gone and looking at who's left on the list, my pick would go to Roman Voloshenko or Bruce Graham. Both guys are four inches taller than any other forward prospect in the system with a legitimate chance at making it and both possess a respectable skill set. Both are hard not to like, particularly Graham, since we've been waiting in Montreal for a centre over 6' for quite a long while.

Old
05-11-2004, 02:27 PM
Russian Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Russian Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Wakaluk
Mike Green and Wes O'Neill will, in all likelihood be gone before 18th.
I wouldn't bet on Mike Green gone before 18th, he's not top 15 material IMO, if he goes before 18th , it's gonna be because a head scout of 1 team is in love with him.

Old
05-11-2004, 03:02 PM
TomasPlekanec

I voted Graham, because we need that big center, even if he's somewhat a reach.
Kyle Chipchura is another option, just like Valabik, O'Neill, Green, Fransson and Hedman. Bolland, Lisin and Sindel are the other option I see. If Gainey doesn't pick one of these players, he'll catch me off guard. Here's my top 5:

Lisin is my favorite, but we drafted a one-dimensional player last year, Kastitsyn. I do think they'll go with a Defenseman. Mike Green, Boris Valabik and Johan Fransson are the one i'd took a serious look at.

Old
05-11-2004, 03:19 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomasPlekanec
Kyle Chipchura is another option, just like Valabik, O'Neill, Green, Fransson and Hedman. Bolland, Lisin and Sindel are the other option I see. If Gainey doesn't pick one of these players, he'll catch me off guard. Here's my top 5:
Lisin is my favorite, but we drafted a one-dimensional player last year, Kastitsyn. I do think they'll go with a Defenseman. Mike Green, Boris Valabik and Johan Fransson are the one i'd took a serious look at.
As a complete aside, I really like Bolland too, and have been intrigued with the descriptions of Lisin. For a different team than our current Habs, I would be talking about them instead. This is an example of what "drafting for needs" means to me... I can't honestly say if Lisin and Bolland are better or worse than the defensemen overall, but since we need D more, that's what I'd pick.

Old
05-11-2004, 03:20 PM
Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomasPlekanec

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Habs trade down in order to acquire a mid level second rounder to replace the one they traded for Kovalev. It may be that Green and Hedman are out of reach if that's the case.

I think most agree the team needs an upgrade on defense. The talent level drops rather steeply after Hainsey and Beauchemin. From what I've read of Fransson, he would be the one. I understand Savard is high on him. McKeen's thinks he is NHL ready, or almost. Valabik could be another Brent Bilodeau...

Old
05-11-2004, 04:31 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
The best choices for the habs are Chipchura,Graham,Valabik

Old
05-11-2004, 04:36 PM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

There's a good read on another thread (I'm pretty sure it's on the Montreal board) about Swedish defenseman Johan Fransson who, from what I can understand, had an exceptionnal 2nd season half. I believe his coach (in the Sweden Elite League) even said he wouldn't trade Fransson for any defenseman in the Elite League, because he is that darn good according to him.

You often see head coaches make good comments about their players before they get drafted, but I must say I was kind of surprised when I read that. I believe the guy even said Fransson is close to be NHL ready, since he's 1 year older than most prospects in the 2004 draft. Considering we are pretty thin on defense, he could be an interesting option at 18th, eventhough I'm still in love with Chipchura!

Old
05-11-2004, 07:46 PM
Brisson11

Send a message via MSN to Brisson11
I voted for volochenko because that's such a great hockey name

Old
05-11-2004, 07:51 PM
Jeffrey

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
imagine if Thelen fall to us

Old
05-11-2004, 07:59 PM
Habsaku

I think we'll go with Fransson, he just seems to be the most talented player that's probably going to be available when we pick. Havent seen anything out of him though, so I really cant comment...

Old
05-12-2004, 11:36 AM
blindedbyfear

What i'd like

I'd like to see us trade down a few spots and pick up a second round pick. Drafts are always unpredictable. I'm hoping the first 15 or so go crazy on defensemen (somebody will pick Valabik and Green before 18) and then the late teens/early 20s are teams going for "size" and "grit" in their forwards. And then Fransson falls to us, that would be nice. We can pick up a big forward or two in the third, and the second rounder will let us restock the cupboard enough to do so by getting a really solid prospect at that spot. I trust our scouting, I really do.

Just my .02, I'm sure on draft day it will be way off lol, and probably something none of us have even thought of.

One thing. I went and looked up the Dallas Stars picks from 1996 - 2001, and, um, what happened? You people should go look at them too. Not pretty at all. Hopefully their scouting was just weak? Or where they a victim of their own success?

Old
05-12-2004, 11:43 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Chipchura or Fransson would be nice. I'd like the habs to pick a dman. Our defensive depht prospect wise is very thin. But BPA is the way to go...

Old
05-12-2004, 11:52 AM
Firthbird

Send a message via MSN to Firthbird
Inside Source------- Their moving up for Ovechkin

Old
05-12-2004, 12:59 PM
Russian Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Russian Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firthbird
Inside Source------- Their moving up for Ovechkin
Inside source ? Was it a stomach cramp or diarrhea ?

Old
05-12-2004, 02:15 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian Fan
Inside source ? Was it a stomach cramp or diarrhea ?
:lol

Old
05-12-2004, 02:27 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

I believe a defenseman is on order. I don't know which way BG is leaning, but if he's going to gamble for the next Chara, he'll go Valabik. If he picks the best fit for the team, I believe it will be Mike Green (a RH Dman with lots of skill and strength). In the event that these two guys are gone, it will be Fransson or BPA. BG isn't an idiot, and probably realizes that wasting a 1st round pick on a lesser player just to fill a hole doesn't make as much sense as picking the BPA as a step toward a deal to fill said hole. We can be pretty damn sure it won't be a goalie, and likely not a winger (holy prospect logjam batman!).

Old
05-12-2004, 02:30 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
I believe a defenseman is on order. I don't know which way BG is leaning, but if he's going to gamble for the next Chara, he'll go Valabik. If he picks the best fit for the team, I believe it will be Mike Green (a RH Dman with lots of skill and strength). In the event that these two guys are gone, it will be Fransson or BPA. BG isn't an idiot, and probably realizes that wasting a 1st round pick on a lesser player just to fill a hole doesn't make as much sense as picking the BPA as a step toward a deal to fill said hole. We can be pretty damn sure it won't be a goalie, and likely not a winger (holy prospect logjam batman!).
I disagree, if its a winger that is the BPA player, Gainey and company will go for it. We can always trade for other postions we are lacking in!

If you draft quality, you can trade it for other quality.

Last edited by Mooch: 05-12-2004 at 02:40 PM.
Old
05-12-2004, 02:31 PM
Subban Fan

My heart: Drew Stafford My reason: Johan Fransson

Closed Thread