HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The second coming of Kelly Hrudey...

Old
04-05-2010, 12:42 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

vCash: 500
The second coming of Kelly Hrudey...

is

Discuss.

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 12:49 PM
onlyalad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
is

Discuss.
Hrudey got the Kings to the Finals. I'll take it.

onlyalad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 01:05 PM
Shellz

Awwwwwwwwww, I love you Quick, you **** head.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 01:08 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Where is the blue bandana?

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Lead Role in a Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyalad View Post
Hrudey got the Kings to the Finals. I'll take it.
Despite and not because of Hrudey. The Great One playing his best hockey made that spring possible.

Lead Role in a Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 01:19 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
It think they are similar in many ways.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 01:35 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake the Nation View Post
Despite and not because of Hrudey. The Great One playing his best hockey made that spring possible.
IIRC, Kelly Hrudey aka the "flopping fish" is the only goalie to lose three consecutive SCF games in OT.

No, Quick is, mostly, sound positionally, and is the reason we are where we are. (No disrespect to JB intended).

If Quick continues to play like he did against the waterfowl Saturday, we can beat anybody, but to do that the offense needs to remember how to play.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Ollie Weeks

How many Sprites and bags of potato chips does Quick tear through between periods?

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 01:49 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

... The Kings should be so lucky. Hrudey was quite a bit better then than Quick is now.

Six times Hrudey was top 10 in the NHL in save percentage, and he did that playing behind some very poor defensive teams in Long Island and Los Angeles.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 01:58 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I was a fan of Hrudey's, but the man sure did frustrate me many times. The closest thing to a Hrudey that the Kings had in net in recent memory was Roman Cechmanek.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 01:59 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Hrudey was awesome.

Quick is awesome.

Close enough.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 02:22 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Hrudey was awesome.

Quick is awesome.

Close enough.
Probably wrong on both accounts.. They're okay.

two out of three* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 02:31 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by two out of three View Post
You know what's OK? The fact that they are both awesome. That's OK.

Old
04-05-2010, 02:37 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by two out of three View Post
When Quick gets the Kings to the SCF, then they can be "equal" I guess. (I would put Hrudey a few notches above Quick - just based on experience. And the cool blue headband)

Your man-love for Bernier is cute though.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 02:37 PM
LombardiTool

The best part is Quick is only finishing up his first full season as an NHL goalie. He has a great golatending coach and a great attitude. He has the build and determination to get better. I think in a few seasons, he can be the best Kings goalie since Rogie.

LombardiTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 02:43 PM
LombardiTool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
When Quick gets the Kings to the SCF, then they can be "equal" I guess. (I would put Hrudey a few notches above Quick - just based on experience. And the cool blue headband)

Your man-love for Bernier is cute though.
Is that your only criteria? SCF?

Besides, it took Hrudey 11 season to get there.

LombardiTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 02:51 PM
hauspaint
what? Kings WON?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frolovfan View Post
The best part is Quick is only finishing up his first full season as an NHL goalie. He has a great golatending coach and a great attitude. He has the build and determination to get better. I think in a few seasons, he can be the best Kings goalie since Rogie.
better be careful what you are saying.... you are going to upset a lot of JB fans..

BTW, I hope Quick can take a step further than Hrudey and actually win the Cup/

hauspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 02:59 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Nah, I agree, Hrudey was never an amazing goalie, he never had the ability to steal a game. If the Kings had a good goalie in the 93 finals, they would've won it for sure. So in that regards, ya, Hrudey and Quick are BOTH mediocre. Bernier will be better than both those guys, I'll start a thread next season with the title "The second coming of Christ/Brodeur" and there'll be a pic of Jon the Baptist Bernier

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 03:05 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I was a fan of Hrudey's, but the man sure did frustrate me many times. The closest thing to a Hrudey that the Kings had in net in recent memory was Roman Cechmanek.
I must have missed the part where the Roman Candle won a bunch of games.

Wait, Roman Candles explode, not implode. Bad nickname.

Old
04-05-2010, 03:16 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
I must have missed the part where the Roman Candle won a bunch of games.

Wait, Roman Candles explode, not implode. Bad nickname.
I was implying in-style more so than results. I don't think the Kings were very successful with Hrudey. Their lack of playoff success outside of 1993 was very frustrating, especially when they had better seasons in prior seasons. Hrudey also struggled with consistency due to exhaustion.

I recall Hrudey having some sort of condition where he would hit a wall, fatigue would set in and he would have to sit out a stretch of games. Hrudey was a very streaky goalie. I have fond memories of him, but watching some classic Kings games with him in net, I'm convinced that a less erratic goalie would have led the Kings to further success.

Jonathan Quick has already established a new Kings record of wins in a season. A record that was not held by Kelly Hrudey for reasons stated above. Quick is a better goalie in every way, shape and form and I think he can take the Kings further than a lot of you expect.

Quick doesn't have the same mental condition that phased Stephane Fiset and Jamie Storr in the playoffs.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 03:20 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I was implying in-style more so than results. I don't think the Kings were very successful with Hrudey. Their lack of playoff success outside of 1993 was very frustrating, especially when they had better seasons in prior seasons. Hrudey also struggled with consistency due to exhaustion.

I recall Hrudey having some sort of condition where he would hit a wall, fatigue would set in and he would have to sit out a stretch of games. Hrudey was a very streaky goalie. I have fond memories of him, but watching some classic Kings games with him in net, I'm convinced that a less erratic goalie would have led the Kings to further success.

Jonathan Quick has already established a new Kings record of wins in a season. A record that was not held by Kelly Hrudey for reasons stated above. Quick is a better goalie in every way, shape and form and I think he can take the Kings further than a lot of you expect.

Quick doesn't have the same mental condition that phased Stephane Fiset and Jamie Storr in the playoffs.
I agree. I know you were talking styles, and I said that with my tongue seated firmly in my cheek.

I loved Hrudey, but moreso because he was the goalie when I first got crazed about the Kings, and I met him, got him to sign my jersey outside the locker room and he was really cool.

He was erratic, but man is that a lot of fun to watch. Quick is erratic too, and I don't think their styles, considering the large generational gap, are too different. But yes, I think Quick will have proved himself far superior by the time he is done.

Old
04-05-2010, 03:21 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
IIRC, Kelly Hrudey aka the "flopping fish" is the only goalie to lose three consecutive SCF games in OT.

No, Quick is, mostly, sound positionally, and is the reason we are where we are. (No disrespect to JB intended).

If Quick continues to play like he did against the waterfowl Saturday, we can beat anybody, but to do that the offense needs to remember how to play.
I'm with Diehard on this one. Hrudey and Quick are nothing alike. Hrudey was rarely in control and frequently out of position, and then there was his gaping 5-hole.

Quick has none of those attributes ingrained in his game. We'll be fine with Quick in the playoffs. He isn't going to be the reason the Kings lose a series.

KINGS17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 03:21 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

I think Quick is slightly better than Hrudey. More sound positionally than Hrudey. However in terms of talent, it's a fair comparison. Hrudey was an average goalie and sometimes was above average. So is Quick.

Hrudey was never an elite guy, nor is Quick going to be.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 03:22 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Nah, I agree, Hrudey was never an amazing goalie, he never had the ability to steal a game. If the Kings had a good goalie in the 93 finals, they would've won it for sure. So in that regards, ya, Hrudey and Quick are BOTH mediocre.
... The longest game in Kings history was the double OT win in 1993 at Vancouver, and Hrudey stole that one. Hrudey also excelled in the Toronto series, outplaying Felix Potvin three times, and he was the main reason the Kings were able to keep Montreal close in the three straight OT games. Gretzky was the Kings' MVP in those playoffs, but Hrudey certainly had his moments.

Hrudey was about a B- goalie in his career -- above average, sometimes spectacular, other times looked terrible, was prone to massive slumps.

Quick, by comparison, is about a D+ goalie (a C- if you include what he's done in the shootout). Quick will almost certainly get better as he gains experience, but after the 10-11 season, he's 99.99% likely to be improving while playing for another team. The "heart" "grit" "determination" "warrior mentality" "attitude" yada yada yada about Quick is tiresome and has become a parody of itself; he is what he is, a serviceable goalie who is bridging the gap to Bernier. It wasn't his fault he got overused, but what's done is done and we'll see how his consistency holds up.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 03:22 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24frolov View Post
Hrudey was never an elite guy, nor is Quick going to be.
Based on....