HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeff Carter (Update on post #97)

Old
04-05-2010, 03:19 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
I dont think Holmgren is expecteing emery to play, but maybe we can put him in the AHL later next year to help him start up his career again
This is what I'm hoping for. It can't hurt to keep him close by. We have the money to take that kind of risk and plenty of contract space opening up.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 03:22 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmFlyersfan View Post
Sorry, a little edgy after a few other threads.
Not to pile on with the 18 people telling you to post a link, but FYI, it's also forum policy to post a link:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=701448

It reduces the amount of people who get their info from inside sources (AKA pull it outta their ass).

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 03:22 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
yay! lets rush him back so he re-injures it!
Worst case scenario is he hurts it more and misses the playoffs (well I guess worst case scenario would be he suffers a career ending injury). Not very confident in the team making it far in the playoffs with or without him. At least with him playing in one of the Ranger games we have a better chance at MAKING the playoffs. Go for broke. So what if he hurts himself and misses the first round of the playoffs. I'll take that chance because it is highly unlikely the Flyers will be able to handle the Caps, Sabres, Devils, or Penguins in the first round anyway. I'd rather watch the Flyers get swept out of the first round than watch the Rangers get swept.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 03:46 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
I dont think Holmgren is expecteing emery to play, but maybe we can put him in the AHL later next year to help him start up his career again

I hope for this. 6 months is too long for our purposes, but in the long run might work out. Hopefully Holmgren wont just let leighton start while he waits for Emery to heal in the AHL and bring him back in like January. I would actually cry.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 03:47 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I hope for this. 6 months is too long for our purposes, but in the long run might work out. Hopefully Holmgren wont just let leighton start while he waits for Emery to heal in the AHL and bring him back in like January. I would actually cry.
Yeah that would be awful, but he won't do that. Emery may need years to get back up to NHL form.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 03:54 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
Wow.... six months is a very, VERY, long time. Homer, for the love of God, go get a goalie for next year. We're begging you.
emery can thank the Flyers for rushing him back

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 04:00 PM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
emery can thank the Flyers for rushing him back
his 2 injuries were unrelated.

One was abdominal, one was hip

Old
04-05-2010, 04:05 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Worst case scenario is he hurts it more and misses the playoffs (well I guess worst case scenario would be he suffers a career ending injury). Not very confident in the team making it far in the playoffs with or without him. At least with him playing in one of the Ranger games we have a better chance at MAKING the playoffs. Go for broke. So what if he hurts himself and misses the first round of the playoffs. I'll take that chance because it is highly unlikely the Flyers will be able to handle the Caps, Sabres, Devils, or Penguins in the first round anyway. I'd rather watch the Flyers get swept out of the first round than watch the Rangers get swept.
Im not sure this type of injury is prone to injury again. When a bone breaks its harder at that point then the rest of the bone...And this bone has little or no weight to hold. This is not like a tendon or ligament that needs a lot of time to heal. I mean he did finish out the game with it broken...

As far as not having a chance to beat buffalo or NJ? Ummm, no. We are 5-1 against the Devils this year and can beat them pretty easily I think. Buffalo we can also handle. Havent seen the pens since they got Malkin and gonchar but i imagine they are a lot better, but we still can take them for a long series.

I was at the Flyers game yesterday, they played their ***** off. Worked hard, hit hard, and gave it everything. I think thats a jumping off point. Take that right into the playoffs.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
Im not sure this type of injury is prone to injury again. When a bone breaks its harder at that point then the rest of the bone...And this bone has little or no weight to hold. This is not like a tendon or ligament that needs a lot of time to heal. I mean he did finish out the game with it broken...
It was a non-displacement fracture of a non-weight bearing bone. It got cracked from the impact of the shot.

As long as it's healing well at the MRI on Weds, he'll get the go ahead to skate. The only danger of reinjury is a shot or slash on the exact same spot, or a muscle pull from coming back too hard too soon. I'm sure he's been keeping up with what conditioning he can do (weights, etc.).

After that, it's a protective pad on his skate and enough freezing to numb the pain.

Reading Homer's comments, I'm convinced Carter will be in the lineup on Friday vs. NYR and if not then, by Sunday for sure.

A lot depends on what happens in the intervening days and how desperate the Flyers are for a win.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 04:42 PM
Flyers93

Great, great news. That would be a HUGE boost, undoubtedly.

Flyers93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 04:43 PM
HoverCarle*

Lines when Carter comes back?

JVR-Richards-Giroux
Gagne-Briere-Leino
Hartnell-Carter-Powe
Carcillo-Betts-Lappy
Asham

Old
04-05-2010, 05:00 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Lines when Carter comes back?

JVR-Richards-Giroux
Gagne-Briere-Leino
Hartnell-Carter-Powe
Carcillo-Betts-Lappy
Asham
That looks good. Asham is a good extra forward, can fill a variety of roles if need be.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 05:02 PM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
That looks good. Asham is a good extra forward, can fill a variety of roles if need be.
Yeah, I hope Pyorala comes up as a spare as well

Old
04-05-2010, 05:06 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post

As far as not having a chance to beat buffalo or NJ? Ummm, no. We are 5-1 against the Devils this year and can beat them pretty easily I think. Buffalo we can also handle. Havent seen the pens since they got Malkin and gonchar but i imagine they are a lot better, but we still can take them for a long series.

I was at the Flyers game yesterday, they played their ***** off. Worked hard, hit hard, and gave it everything. I think thats a jumping off point. Take that right into the playoffs.
I don't know man. I am about as big a positivist as anyone on these boards about the Flyers chances, or at least I have been. Just because we beat the Devils five out of six times in the regular season doesn't mean we can beat them four out of seven in the playoffs. And Buffalo is a pretty damn good team. They don't have that superstar power on offense, but they have plenty of weapons that can score, not to mention that guy in the net. At this point, though, I am focusing more on making the playoffs rather than who they are playing first round.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 05:10 PM
HoverCarle*

Yeah I will take any matchup, as long as we make the playoffs. Every win after that with Boucher is gravy

Any word on Backlund's and Leighton's injuries?

Old
04-05-2010, 05:13 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Smells like Dave Babych

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 06:21 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
his 2 injuries were unrelated.

One was abdominal, one was hip
riiiight

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 06:25 PM
mercury

Quote:
It would be nice to have a young guy with #1 upside AND Emery available for next season.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 06:33 PM
Miss Mess

that would be great news, please heal faster Jeff!

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 06:33 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
It would be nice to have a young guy with #1 upside AND Emery available for next season.
Holmgren could legit 180 our goaltending situation in one offseason:

Ellis/Turco - NHL starter short-term
Schneider - Temp back-up per trade
Bobrovsky/Rynnas/Scrivens - AHL starter and prospect
Emery - Injury reserve just in case he hits stride
Eriksson - Long-term prospect solution
Riopel - ECHL or AHL back-up as project goaltender

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 03:31 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
riiiight
Saying his first injury caused his hip issue is a it like saying that you bumping your head caused you to have sickle cell anemia. It's completely non-nonsensical.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 05:23 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Emery isn't signed next year. That makes him not our problem come July. If we resign him and Homer banks on him being back in 6 months the man needs to resign.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 05:31 AM
macavoy

Eric Lindros says hai

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 05:37 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
Saying his first injury caused his hip issue is a it like saying that you bumping your head caused you to have sickle cell anemia. It's completely non-nonsensical.
So..... it's sensical??

I believe that smilie imparts the fact that I'm just being a dick... for funny's sake.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 06:41 AM
ArmchairGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
The first injury was most likely caused by the second one. It just happened to manifest itself that way. Emery said that something didn't feel right and that that probably lead to the abdominal issues.

I really don't see Emery coming back in the NHL. Apparently he had "better then expected" surgery, but it will still take another 6 months to know if he can play again. If all goes well, he would still need to get back in game shape. So I could see some AHL signing him the a tryout contract for a few games ala Graham. After that who know, but if all goes well, maybe Europe again. I don't think an NHL team would do anything more then maybe bring him in competing for a back-up spot in camp, even if the hip is 100% and he plays well in his time back.

ArmchairGM is offline   Reply With Quote