HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official I miss the Expos thread; 2010 MLB Season

Old
04-05-2010, 10:23 PM
JrHockeyFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
I love how Obama threw out the 1st pitch at the Nationals game and wore a White Sox hat...lol
He's from Illinois. Plus it would also be somewhat non-partisan all things considered (NL game)

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:28 PM
JrHockeyFan

I travel up to Montreal a few times a year for hockey. Losing baseball took away a lot of the summer fun and opportunities to visit

While I still enjoy the game most of the passion has gone. Not the same at all. I'll never be a jays fan and I don't care that much for the AL game anyway

This summer I'll be doing a 4 game series in StL and 4 in Washington. Still pretty relaxing to be in the sun. Polish off a few beers. Good fun. It would be a bigger blast to still be at a Spos game though

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:41 PM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
1994, all I have to say... For me, that's when we lost the expos...
We lost the Expos when Charles Bronfman sold the team to a bunch of underfunded locals who were afraid to invest a dime more than they paid for the team. Losing the 1994 season without getting the small market relief in the end didn't help. I'm amazed MLB has managed to survive in other small markets.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 11:17 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
I hate the Nationals more then the Yankees, and I hate the Yankees.

I was having a conversation just the other day with my wife. We were talking about how great we had it when we were kids. Nothing to do on a Saturday? Take the family out to the ball game for about 50-60 bucks, get a helmet full of ice cream and maybe a large bretzel and enjoy the game.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 01:23 AM
panorama01*

They were not underfunded locals, they were loaded with money, they just chose not to spend any, they believed that they had to make a profit and if they lost X dollars they'd cut the budget by that much. Remember that the early '90s was the Age of Austerity here in Quebec and in Canada in general, we were told from the very top that the answer to everything is to cut, cut, cut and that the idea of putting some money in to make some more in future was anathema.

panorama01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 02:35 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Cups View Post
We lost the Expos when Charles Bronfman sold the team to a bunch of underfunded locals who were afraid to invest a dime more than they paid for the team. Losing the 1994 season without getting the small market relief in the end didn't help. I'm amazed MLB has managed to survive in other small markets.

Figuratively speaking, we lost the Expos in 1994, when we were defeated by a strike and nobody else... Had the season completed, we would of made the playoffs, and very likely done some damage.

The spin-off from that would of been amazing, gate revenue for that year, season ticket sales / sponsor money for following seasons etc..

**** MLB for what they did, rather watch mini-putt on rds

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 01:00 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by panorama01 View Post
They were not underfunded locals, they were loaded with money, they just chose not to spend any, they believed that they had to make a profit and if they lost X dollars they'd cut the budget by that much. Remember that the early '90s was the Age of Austerity here in Quebec and in Canada in general, we were told from the very top that the answer to everything is to cut, cut, cut and that the idea of putting some money in to make some more in future was anathema.
kind of had to since the country was basically bankrupt

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 01:40 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Cups View Post
Pretty much. And Bronfman sold the team because of Blue Monday. After Blue Monday, he went bunkers and traded Carter. And it was never the same afterwards. Even by the late 80s, the attendances had fallen dramatically. Look at 94: it took an all-star team to get people to go to the Big O. And even then it was nowhere near filled.

Nothing better than to listen the Expos on radio, though. I'll always remember the summers when I was a kid, going to my family's summer house with the swimming, the laughter and my uncle listening to the Expos on the radio.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

I still remember those summer nights listening to Jacques Doucet and Marc Griffin calling the games...Specially that comeback game against Philly we won 14-10...Epic.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 02:06 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
I still remember those summer nights listening to Jacques Doucet and Marc Griffin calling the games...Specially that comeback game against Philly we won 14-10...Epic.
I was at that game and stayed despite us losing something like 9-1 after 4-5 innings then remember just screaming and making fun of Rheal Cormier,best ball game ever for me since I even caught a foul ball that night

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 02:07 PM
panorama01*

Canada, nearly bankrupt? That's news to me. Besides, it's technically impossible for Canada to go bankrupt, it uses a fiat currency. Sovereign authorities with fiat currencies cannot go bankrupt, cannot go into default. I know that they tried to make people believe that Canada was going to go bankrupt and they were liars. Did you know most of the Paul Martin surplus was not achieved through cuts, it was achieved because the recession ended and money spent for unemployment went down, as well as for interest on the deficit and debt as the Bank of Canada was taken out of the hands of that madman John Crow, and tax receipts went up.

But back to the Expos, it was in this ridiculous atmosphere that all this happened, and those local owners were loaded with money, more loaded than you can imagine. Often people on the radio would say that it's common sense to use a favourable situation with a team full of good young players to make an attempt to win with a reasonably low budget to take a chance and spend a little more to keep the team together to increase attendance and the team's credibility. They refused to do this. In fact, the decision after 1997 to cut the payroll to under $10 million I think was based in part on the success of the 1997 Pittsburgh Pirates at $8 million payroll but they still had a losing record those Pirates though they finished second in the Central - the Pirates haven't had a winning season since 1992 is it, breaking a North American record.

The political situation also is important when considering the issue of building a stadium. In the mid-80s, Bourassa said he would not support any further expansions of the metro, and any project was considered a waste of money unless it was the Great Whale project that never happened. They wouldn't do it here, the whole attitude didn't support it, and especially considering the Big O. They built the Bell Centre because it was 100% private. Moreover, baseball like the NFL and so on became a sort of extortion racket when it came to extracting the worst terms on jurisdictions building stadia. I suppose that Quebec had become impervious to this racket could be considered to be a good thing.

Old
04-06-2010, 02:10 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I was at that game and stayed despite us losing something like 9-1 after 4-5 innings then remember just screaming and making fun of Rheal Cormier,best ball game ever for me since I even caught a foul ball that night
Wow, that must've been awesome for you, that 4 game serie was incredible for us. For a few days, the fan base actually believed we could make it. And even people started to go to the stadium, I remember we were like 21 000 in the 4th game and it was an afternoon game.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 02:17 PM
panorama01*

It was better in the '80s. They had 50,000 in there when Pascual Perez defeated the Cardinals 7-0 on Labour Day in 1987 when they had a chance to win the division. They finished about three or four games back at the end I think and no one gave them a chance at all that year.

Old
04-06-2010, 02:25 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Miss them a lot, the best thing about baseball is having a team in your City that plays every day through out the summer. Checking the daily box scores & catching 20-25 games throughout the season to enhance the experience. Plus all the stars came to us, not anymore...

Following the Red Sox now.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 03:08 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Pretty much. And Bronfman sold the team because of Blue Monday. After Blue Monday, he went bunkers and traded Carter. And it was never the same afterwards. Even by the late 80s, the attendances had fallen dramatically. Look at 94: it took an all-star team to get people to go to the Big O. And even then it was nowhere near filled.
More like no one wanted to go to the Big O, that place was/is a disaster.

Look at the Als, even with good teams no one wanted to watch them there, they move to Percival Molson and have sold out every game since (and why not?? It's AMAZING stadium). A nice little simple outdoor stadium downtown would have saved the expos, it's too bad no one thought of it until the mid 90s when there was no money.

The olympics were a DISASTER for Montreal, in exchange for a 2 week party you get decades of crippling debt, and a stadium that ultimately killed our MLB franchise. **** the *******s who did that, set Montreal back a long time.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 09:13 AM
Bobby G

At least Vlady has looked good

Bobby G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 09:37 AM
Megaforce

It was as great place to bring the kids. Affordable and fun. My kids asked about going back many times, I don't think they really understood fully that there would never be any more games. It's really sad. It didn't help that the current Mayor Tremblay just didn't care at all about the sport.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 09:45 AM
mvp76

The Expos were the only reason I watched baseball..now the rest is down the toilet.
Loved going down to watch a game, affordable and fun..
Plenty of games to go to, a nice matinee on a rainy day or when there was nothing to do..
Caught a home run ball once, a great souvenir.

mvp76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 10:35 AM
walsy37

Can't stand the Marlins and Nats. Can't believe the 'spos left for this joke:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big...urn=mlb,232653

walsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 12:59 PM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by panorama01 View Post
Claude Brochu was the managing partner because Bronfman gave him a majority share (8 or 9 %) due to his loyalty. Brochu was certainly not loaded and made every on-field move to protect his investment. The other partners, whether loaded or not, were not willing to invest one more dime than necessary in the team. The "Age of Austerity" was the same decade when the Blue Jays were winning World Series.

Bad ownership killed the Expos. Any other owner would have managed to get the downtown stadium built that Brochu and then Loria scuttled because they didn't have long-term interests in Montreal. Going back to Jackie Robinson, baseball had a solid tradition in Montreal, they needed a committed owner that didn't blow the team up every 2 or 3 years and the fans would have come back, especially to a downtown ballpark.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 04:05 PM
panorama01*

Brochu ran the Expos' marketing under Bronfman if I'm not mistaken. It was his partners who were loaded, he wasn't. He made out handsomely from the sale in the end.

The Alouettes played two years at the Olympic Stadium after their return. The first year had large crowds mainly through giveaways during the Price regime. The second year had small crowds as the giveaways ceased under the Wetenhall regime. Molson Stadium is a more appropriate venue and is outside and is older and the rest of it that makes it appealing though they'll have it up to 25,000 to make it more viable.

Sure the Blue Jays won during the age of austerity. So what? The ownership could point at 50,000 in the Skydome as evidence that it was viable, that the fans of Toronto "earned" a good product and in the age of austerity every last penny must be "earned"... the Expos' supporters, they said, did not pay by showing up, therefore they got what they deserved, and that was cut, cut, cut.

In the age of austerity, the principle is that loyalty must first be shown to those with the money bags, then they might show loyalty to you. The Expos owners said that if you want a good product, pay first, fill the stadium, and we "might" reciprocate, but that's not guaranteed. In Toronto they paid, and they didn't dismantle the team until after they won two championships.

Old
04-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Georges Gorges

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
I hate the Nationals more then the Yankees, and I hate the Yankees.

I was having a conversation just the other day with my wife. We were talking about how great we had it when we were kids. Nothing to do on a Saturday? Take the family out to the ball game for about 50-60 bucks, get a helmet full of ice cream and maybe a large bretzel and enjoy the game.

So many good memories. My uncle had two season tickets in the VIP section (Blue) near the third base. I had almost the helmets of all the MLB teams.

I now have season tickets for the Impact and the Alouettes, I really like them, but it doesn't fill the empty place in my heart.

It's like a guy who dumps his high school girlfriend (who is also his first love), since he wants to see "what the world can bring him", but he realizes (too late) that he had the right girl for him since the beginning.

Georges Gorges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 05:07 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Good comeback by the Jays today. Romero was excellent and would of likely had a shutout if Molina knew how to play catcher. Good job, Ricky!

Good on Overbay to silence the haters as well. Nice game by rookie Mike McCoy who got his first hit (2 hits) and his first RBI.

Bad Natey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 11:03 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 50
God, I miss this team so much.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 11:27 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

my first job as a student was selling beer at the Olympic Stadium during Expos games... i miss it

MooseOllini is online now   Reply With Quote