HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Help me choose my first games!

Old
04-05-2010, 06:01 PM
Peacock

vCash: 500
Help me choose my first games!

OK so I've decided that to celebrate my first paycheck at my new job I would treat myself to a brank new PS3.

For games I decided to possibly purchase around 150$ worth. This is where you guys come in! For that price what would you buy? Here are games I've thought of. The only two I am 100% certain I will buy are God of War and GTA4 (only 29.99!).

God of War III
GTA4
CoD: Modern Warfare 2
The Beatles Rock Band (not sure about this one cause I don't want to spend a lot on a guitar and drums for the time being)
NHL10
FIFA 2010

Suggest me more games! My girlfriend already has Assassin's creed 2 so I won't be buying that one

Peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 06:11 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

I think GTA4 is ridiculously overrated but it's pretty cheap now so I guess it's a decent purchase.

I'd definitely get Uncharted and Fallout 3. You could probably get both of them for around $20 each.

MGS4 is the best singe-player experience I've had on the PS3 but I've been a huge Metal Gear fan from the beginning. That's another older title you could get for a good price.

I wouldn't waste my time with MW2 but I'm an admitted MW2 hater.

FIFA 2010 and NHL10 are both awesome games but you're probably better off waiting for NHL11 at this point.

Man, this just makes me feel bad thinking about all these great games that I paid $60 for at release that can now be purchased for $30 or less.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 06:20 PM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ

Battlefield Bad Company 2

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Dave
º

I personally don't have a ps3 yet, but I will be getting one when Gran Turismo 5 launches. Seems like you have a good list going already, but here are some others to look into:

Batman arkum asylum -- Good reviews all around, my friend bought it and said he really liked it.

little big planet -- I honestly have no idea what this game is about, but lots of people raved about it, I think it was a game of the year contender/winner for various media outlets.

uncharted 2 -- Supposed to be the front runner for game of the year, haven't heard one bad thing about it. It's a sequel so you might want to pick up/rent the first one.

Of the 3 I listed I think only LBP has really good replay value.

I'm a huge fan of the rock band series. One thing to think about, if you get the beetles version, the DLC will be very limited. It may only allow you to download beetles song (which isn't all that bad I guess). Rockband2 has tons, TONS of DLC available so I'd reccommend this over beetles. You could probably just buy the game disks and pick up a guitar second hand somewhere, rather than throwing money at a whole set.

Last edited by Dave: 04-05-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 08:03 PM
bigred50

You're a fool if you don't pick up Uncharted 2 (don't necessarily need to play the first one, although it's cheap now too). It's the one game I use to show friends/family the awesomeness that is the PS3.

Other "must have" games:

Killzone 2
God of War 3
Little Big Planet
MGS4

The NHL and FIFA series have both been good recently as well.

I'd avoid GTA4, it's pretty lame IMO.

bigred50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Sony just announced that a slew of games will move to the Greatest Hits line and cost 30 dollars...

•inFAMOUS
•God of War: Collection
•Killzone 2
•LittleBigPlanet
•Resistance 2
•Dead Space
•Fight Night Round 4
•Resident Evil 5
•Soulcalibur IV
•UFC 2009 Undisputed

inFAMOUS and Dead Space are highly recommended.

Jovavic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 09:05 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Why does no one mention Heavy Rain? Game is ****ing awesome.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 09:28 PM
Sens16

NHL or FIFA, playoffs and the world cup are just around the corner. Nothing better to get you motivated then playing the games.

Sens16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 09:32 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

vCash: 163
If you're a baseball guy, then MLB 10 The Show is a must. I've been thinking about picking up a PS3 just for that game.

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 09:48 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacock View Post
OK so I've decided that to celebrate my first paycheck at my new job I would treat myself to a brank new PS3.

For games I decided to possibly purchase around 150$ worth. This is where you guys come in! For that price what would you buy? Here are games I've thought of. The only two I am 100% certain I will buy are God of War and GTA4 (only 29.99!).

God of War III
GTA4
CoD: Modern Warfare 2
The Beatles Rock Band (not sure about this one cause I don't want to spend a lot on a guitar and drums for the time being)
NHL10
FIFA 2010

Suggest me more games! My girlfriend already has Assassin's creed 2 so I won't be buying that one
I always get good games with high replay value or games that have long durations (e.g. FF series games, though you may not like, have great value because it takes like forever to beat)... or games like Fallout or Oblivion (games by Bestheda), that way you always get bang for your buck!

I wouldnt spend money buying the Beatles Rock Band (i think it costs more??) but you should wait till like Rockband 3 comes out or something. I found Beatles rock band extremely easy.

Sport games ALWAYS have great replay value, however, at this point you might as well wait for NHL 11 and FIFA 11 (the thing with FIFA games, the gameplay has probably been even more the same than the NHL series)

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
The two PS3 games I can recommend with absolutely no caveats or qualifiers are Uncharted 2 and Batman: Arkham Asylum. You don't have to like shooters, or action games, or anything to enjoy these two games. They are simply candy for the mind.

Other games that I recommend are Metal Gear Solid 4, the first Uncharted, Infamous, BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger, Dragon Age, Borderlands, Dead Space, Fallout 3, Darksiders and Final Fantasy XIII. But take a look first and judge for yourself.

The three games I think everyone with a next-gen console should play are Uncharted 2, Batman Arkham Asylum and Mass Effect 2. These are so far, the most important games of this generation.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:47 PM
Frankie Spankie

Uncharted games and MGS4 are must haves.

If you want a good multiplayer game, I suggest Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Out of your list, I'd suggest staying away from GTA4 unless you've actually played it before. I loved the GTA series until I played GTA4, I fortunately tried it at a friends house first. They tried too hard to make it realistic and took out a lot of fun from the game. If you really want a good sandbox game, I recommend Just Cause 2, now that game is incredibly fun!

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 11:11 PM
Professor Dangles

Uncharted 2, NHL10, Heavy Rain, and Modern Warfare 2 are must have games.

Little Big Planet, Dead Space, Uncharted 1(it's good to play the first one too), Mirrors Edge are all great games as well.

Professor Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 11:33 PM
Sportacus
:)

vCash: 50
Look it up before getting to see if you think you'd like it, but Demon's Souls is amazing.

04-06-2010, 03:07 AM
Zodiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportacus View Post
Look it up before getting to see if you think you'd like it, but Demon's Souls is amazing.
yeah, Demon's Souls is awesome. both that and Killzone 2 were my favorite games from last year so i'll throw my vote in for those two.

Demon's Souls
Killzone 2
Uncharted 2
God of War 3
Metal Gear Solid 4
Heavy Rain
etc

there's a boat load of good games out there for the PS3.

recently, i've found MAG quite enjoyable as well. having huge 256 player battles with no lag is quite the experience.

Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 09:21 AM
neofury*

Don't listen to the GTA IV nay sayers, the game sucks offline but online its super fun and most people have it so if you know people who have a ps3, would be a fun game to play with them online believe me I know. It's got tons of different modes etc to choose from to, anywhere from racing to free for alls.

Super fun game online.

As per UFC 2009, most expensive game I've bought to data for the ps3 (got it when it first came out) and it's fun for a bit but it's pretty boring after a while. I'd wait till 2010 at least.

Go with these from your list:

NHL 10, MW2, GTA IV, doubt you'll get bored real quick, all 3 have tons of online fun to go with. Warning though, NHL 10 via PSN can be a bit buggy, at least in my own experiences trying to play with friends. Never had one issue with MW2 or GTA IV though.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 11:22 AM
Matt714*

Send a message via MSN to Matt714*
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
Why does no one mention Heavy Rain? Game is ****ing awesome.
Because it's so linear.

Matt714* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 11:32 AM
Energise

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rainbow Express View Post
If you're a baseball guy, then MLB 10 The Show is a must. I've been thinking about picking up a PS3 just for that game.
Agreed. The Show is such an exceptional product.

Energise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 11:48 AM
MaLockFan

I've had my ps3 about 3 years now (on my second one) and so far my favorites have been (in order)

Bioshock - No doubt have played through this about five times
Killzone 2 - Awesome shoot em up
Deadspace - So many $hit my pants moments
Uncharted 2 - really good adv game
COD MW4, WAW,MW2 - Really all pretty well done
Orange box- so much to offer, portal was a fav
Battlefield BC 1 or 2

MaLockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 03:21 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt714 View Post
Because it's so linear.
Heavy Rain is actually more non-linear than most of the other games recommended, including Uncharted, Batman, Modern Warfare, and Metal Gear Solid.

Maybe you chose the wrong word.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 03:29 PM
Yayo

I'll echo what everyone else says.

Uncharted/Uncharted 2
Killzone 2
Batman: Arkham Asylum
inFamous
Resistance 2
Bad Company 2
Call Of Duty: MW/World At War/MW2
Metal Gear Solid 4
Little Big Planet

As well as Bad Company/Bioshock (both)/GTAIV/Dead Space are all good too - I have them for 360 though, so I have no idea what the online play is like for the PS3. I do remember seeing GTAIV for the PS3 for ~$15 used at EBGames...

Yayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 06:17 PM
CoRD
Rebizzle my Flizzle

vCash: 50
NHL10 first and foremost. A must have for any hockey fan.

Metal Gear Solid 4 is amazing. Heavy Rain is the most different game and is like a movie with tonnes of different endings.

Get a war game only if you plan on playing it HARDCORE. MW2 and battlefield 2 are sweet but online you will be pwned unless you put in serious hours.

CoRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 06:32 PM
Kevin Malone

Assassins Creed 2 is a great game. It along with Uncharted 2 and Batman were my favorite games last year.

GTA4 maybe the best bang for your buck. I picked up for 25$ on Amazon and have played it 30+ hours so far.

You also should be able to pick up Infamous for close to that price and it is a great game as well.

Kevin Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 06:36 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
FIFA 10 is awesome, but I would wait until the World Cup 2010 game comes out at the end of the month. Game looks sweet.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 07:03 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

I just bought Just Cause 2 and love it.

Heavy Rain, Uncharted 2, FF13... all good choices.

Rumor has it a buy 2 get 1 free deal is about to pop up soon. Wait for that.

John Cena* is offline   Reply With Quote