HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Darren Dreger states "the Oilers will attempt to aquire another pick in the top 10"

Old
04-05-2010, 10:30 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Darren Dreger states "the Oilers will attempt to aquire another pick in the top 10"

Just was on, I'm sure most of you seen it. For those that didn't, said that Hemsky's name has been rumoured but that might be more than Tambellini is willing to pay. As I have stated on here many many many times before, if it's a pick that nets us one of the big 3 d-men in this draft then I would part with Hemsky. If it's pick 7-10 then it would have to be something else IMO.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:33 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Knee jerk reaction by Oilers management. It didn't make sense to me a week ago and it still doesn't.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:34 PM
battlegoon

Hemsky wont be traded and he shouldnt be traded. Weve been looking for someone to play with him for years and now were going to get him, why trade Hemsky?

Good to know its been confirmed that were going after another pick though

battlegoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:34 PM
Asher

I'd love to get another top 10, but if Hemsky is involved I want top 2. I realize Hemsky alone wouldn't get you that high a pick, and yes, I would be willing to offer Hemsky +. But Hemsky for a top 10, I say pass.

Last edited by Asher: 04-05-2010 at 10:47 PM. Reason: decided only on top 2
Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:36 PM
Eytinge

Hemsky will most likely be a better player than any that are picked 5-10 IMO so its not worth it.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Ghostbuster
#FireEakins

vCash: 50
Ideally we use our 2nd rounder and a roster player to move up into the 20s. Then we use that pick+roster player to move up into the high teens. Rinse and repeat till you get high enough.

Ghostbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:41 PM
Wheatking

I wouldn't do Hemsky for Fowler...nevermind a top 10 pick. If Hemsky is going the other way we better be coming out of it with Hall and Seguin.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:44 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
I wouldn't do Hemsky for Fowler...nevermind a top 10 pick. If Hemsky is going the other way we better be coming out of it with Hall and Seguin.
This sums up my thoughts. I would not trade Hemsky for the 3rd overall pick. I would however add to him to get the 1st/2nd pick.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:45 PM
OmegaTheory

I would consider it for Adam Larsson but that's about it at this point.

OmegaTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:46 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Hemsky will most likely be a better player than any that are picked 5-10 IMO so its not worth it.
Hemsky is a better player then anyone outside the top 2.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:47 PM
HuMz

The only way I could stomach trading Hemsky would be for the 2nd pick, its just too much of a risk to think anyone other then Seguin or Hall could ever become better then Hemsky.

HuMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:48 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Hemsky is a better player then anyone outside the top 2.
Dreger didn't say the Oilers are going to move Hemsky for a top-10 pick, he said it was unlikely that Hemsky is involved in those discussions but Steve Tambellini would "listen" to offers.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:49 PM
Cawz

Shut up Darren.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:54 PM
Asher

I could see Cogs and Souray being part of a top 10 deal. How about Cogs, Souray, and Nasville's 2nd for a 1st from CBus or NYR (and some salary coming back).

Old
04-05-2010, 10:54 PM
ChokeOnOil
i hate my team

I think we're over valuing Hemsky a tad. He's an injury prone, near PPG player, and thats about it. We don't have many of those, though, so I suppose keeping him is the best course of action. He'll probably be one of the few reasons to watch an Oilers game next year as well as this seems to be a semi-long term rebuild. I wouldn't mind trading another player though, I'd love to get a hold of El Nino, he seems to be exactly what we're missing and having him, MPS and Hall driving to the net like they love to do would really kill defense units.

ChokeOnOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:55 PM
kitchen44

Quote:
the team is not going to do much in the next 3 years so why not trade hemsky. he has never had the type of season we were looking for anyways. i do not see him helping the team anymore

kitchen44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:59 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChokeOnOil View Post
I think we're over valuing Hemsky a tad. He's an injury prone, near PPG player, and thats about it. We don't have many of those, though, so I suppose keeping him is the best course of action. He'll probably be one of the few reasons to watch an Oilers game next year as well as this seems to be a semi-long term rebuild. I wouldn't mind trading another player though, I'd love to get a hold of El Nino, he seems to be exactly what we're missing and having him, MPS and Hall driving to the net like they love to do would really kill defense units.
Yeah, here's the thing: Near PPG players? Not even close to common. Outside of the lottery, they're incredibly rare. It's very unlikely anybody in that range will better than Hemsky is (although I really like Brett Connolly...) Especially ones who are as consistently close to the mark as Ales Hemsky is.

Injury prone? I don't think playing a game that lends itself to injury is the same as being injury prone. I expect Hall will be very similar in this respect.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 11:00 PM
HopelessOilFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchen44 View Post
the team is not going to do much in the next 3 years so why not trade hemsky. he has never had the type of season we were looking for anyways. i do not see him helping the team anymore
You're so right!

He's probably just gonna stop putting up points now

I honestly believe anyone who wants to trade hemsky would not be saying the same thing if he was playing this year.

Its like you forgot what he means to this team.. or just how good he is.

But seriously this guy knows his stuff, ppg players just dont help their teams.

HopelessOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 11:00 PM
battlegoon

Quote:
Fine trade Hemsky but if youre going to trade him, trade him for what hes worth

I dont want to trade Hemsky, what makes everyone think we wont be good next year or the year after that? Just because he never had the type of season we were looking for doesnt mean he wont do that this season or next.

battlegoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 11:02 PM
RStar*

Quote:
I'd do Hemsky for Fowler, but after that I don't think it would be worth it. Fowler has the potential to be a franchise defenseman.

RStar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 11:04 PM
HopelessOilFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlegoon View Post
Fine trade Hemsky but if youre going to trade him, trade him for what hes worth

I dont want to trade Hemsky, what makes everyone think we wont be good next year or the year after that? Just because he never had the type of season we were looking for doesnt mean he wont do that this season or next.
What kind of season are we "looking for"?

He's the only PPG player we have... thats more than enough for me to be happy.

He isnt and probably wont become a star but the only people who seem to think he will be are the ones in the trade threads who claim how much we oiler fans overrate hemsky...

I dont think i've ever heard a fan say he's a star or going to be, but i hear countless posters claim that edmonton fans call him a star all the time.

HopelessOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Professor Awesome

Le gasp! The thought of walking away from the podium with both of Hall AND Nino in the copper and blue, invokes puddles of drool and general excitability.

Professor Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
oil slick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Yeah, here's the thing: Near PPG players? Not even close to common. Outside of the lottery, they're incredibly rare.
Exactly. There are probably going to be about 20 ppg players in the NHL. A lot of people seem to believe that ppg players are a dime a dozen.

oil slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Yeah, here's the thing: Near PPG players? Not even close to common. Outside of the lottery, they're incredibly rare. It's very unlikely anybody in that range will better than Hemsky is (although I really like Brett Connolly...) Especially ones who are as consistently close to the mark as Ales Hemsky is.

Injury prone? I don't think playing a game that lends itself to injury is the same as being injury prone. I expect Hall will be very similar in this respect.
It may not be the same thing but the end result is still the same. As for Hall possibly having the same problem, the same thought has occurred to me, and it's probably the biggest or second biggest reason why I'm slightly leaning towards Seguin in the draft.

Old
04-05-2010, 11:07 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Personally I think Hemsky is the type of player we're going to want around in 3 years when we are doing something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RStar View Post
I'd do Hemsky for Fowler, but after that I don't think it would be worth it. Fowler has the potential to be a franchise defenseman.
I disagree. Fowler is very good and is only going to get better but if there is one guy that actually does benefit from the "stack team" it's him much more than Hall.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote