HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Darren Dreger states "the Oilers will attempt to aquire another pick in the top 10"

Old
04-05-2010, 10:09 PM
Asher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopelessOilFan View Post
What kind of season are we "looking for"?

He's the only PPG player we have... thats more than enough for me to be happy.

He isnt and probably wont become a star but the only people who seem to think he will be are the ones in the trade threads who claim how much we oiler fans overrate hemsky...

I dont think i've ever heard a fan say he's a star or going to be, but i hear countless posters claim that edmonton fans call him a star all the time.
Until Hemsky's numbers justify it I won't call him a star player. However, that being said, I strongly believe that if he had an elite finisher on his line he'd consistently put up 80-90 pts/year. And those are star numbers.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:10 PM
battlegoon

Quote:
What kind of season are we "looking for"?

He's the only PPG player we have... thats more than enough for me to be happy.

He isnt and probably wont become a star but the only people who seem to think he will be are the ones in the trade threads who claim how much we oiler fans overrate hemsky...

I dont think i've ever heard a fan say he's a star or going to be, but i hear countless posters claim that edmonton fans call him a star all the time.
Well the season Im looking for is a complete season where he plays every game I dont mean play every game but I want him to try every game that he plays, no nights off.

Its great being a PPG player but I want him to be more then that. I want him to get other guys around him playing. Especially with younger guys coming in, he needs to be leader out there

battlegoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:10 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

I get why so many of you are scared about trading Hemsky, but can you just admit already that you want to keep him because you are worried about winning next year and couldn't really give a **** about a proper rebuild? Nobody here is suggesting we just dump Hemmer. I would do it to land one of the top 3 d-men because I think this rebuild really needs a bluechip d-man. If Hemsky landed us the 4th pick and we got Gudbransson I would be stoked and it wouldn't show NEXT season, but in a few seasons it would be so worth our while. Hemsky's deal will be up before we are ready to contend. IMO it's the right time, but again nobody is suggesting we just give him away so just calm down about that. If we deal him, we will get a VERY lucrative return.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:11 PM
ChokeOnOil
i hate my team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Yeah, here's the thing: Near PPG players? Not even close to common. Outside of the lottery, they're incredibly rare. It's very unlikely anybody in that range will better than Hemsky is (although I really like Brett Connolly...) Especially ones who are as consistently close to the mark as Ales Hemsky is.

Injury prone? I don't think playing a game that lends itself to injury is the same as being injury prone. I expect Hall will be very similar in this respect.
I would agree with that, which is why I'm thinking we hold on to him if it's not for the Top2 picks. I do think we're over valuing him if we think we don't have to add a fair bit to get a Top2 pick for him. I do think he's injury prone, though. Whether it's his game or not, he hasn't played a full season for quite sometime. Since 06 I think. The guy is out of the lineup a fair bit. I for one still have a fleeting hope he's going to "break out" though, so I'd be hesitant trading him for a Top 2 pick if we're adding too much.

ChokeOnOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Soundwave

Thread title is a bit misleading, even Dreger himself while the Oilers would listen to offers, they're not likely to deal Hemsky.

We'd like another pick in the top 10, but so would every other team.

Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:14 PM
Oilers10
I hate Dallas Eakins

Shawn Horcoff
Dustin Penner
Eric Cole
Ales Kotalik
Petr Sykora (the old version)

These are the guys we've got for Hemsky to play with and we wonder why he's only putting up 70pt seasons and not 100. Then we claim he won't be the star or isn't the star we thought him to be.

How is that logical? Anybody that can turn Horcoff into a 5.5million dollar man is a superstar to me.

Oilers10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:14 PM
anjoo

Send a message via MSN to anjoo
The only thing shocking about what Dregger mentioned is there was no mention of the Leafs.

Every team will be looking to upgrade or trade for a top 10 pick lol

anjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:15 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
Personally I think Hemsky is the type of player we're going to want around in 3 years when we are doing something.

I disagree. Fowler is very good and is only going to get better but if there is one guy that actually does benefit from the "stack team" it's him much more than Hall.
Are you going to want to pay him the $6+ million that he will probably demand to stay though. Its a tough call, he probably could help a lot in three years but I'm leery of giving him a long term deal at big cash. I would consider moving him + for Seguin or strait up for one of the big 3 dmen.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:16 PM
Tree444

Great. Trade Hemsky for a player who might be as good as hemsky.

Tree444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:16 PM
HopelessOilFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
I get why so many of you are scared about trading Hemsky, but can you just admit already that you want to keep him because you are worried about winning next year and couldn't really give a **** about a proper rebuild? Nobody here is suggesting we just dump Hemmer. I would do it to land one of the top 3 d-men because I think this rebuild really needs a bluechip d-man. If Hemsky landed us the 4th pick and we got Gudbransson I would be stoked and it wouldn't show NEXT season, but in a few seasons it would be so worth our while. Hemsky's deal will be up before we are ready to contend. IMO it's the right time, but again nobody is suggesting we just give him away so just calm down about that. If we deal him, we will get a VERY lucrative return.
Mod edit:
Hemsky should absolutely not be traded unless a trade is requested or he shows he doesnt want to be here unless the return is absurd.

Who cares if his deal is up? you can't trade every player that has an expiring contract. I understand pronger and heatley and nylander all didnt want to be here, but hemsky has already re signed here once and knows the future we have and that the organization is going in the right direction...

clearly he doesnt mind the weather or he wouldnt have re signed in the first place, the only reason i could see him wanting out now is to win now or because he has a problem with management.

So far there is no sign of either... hemsky is still young, and just starting to enter his prime, he has plenty of time to win and im sure he's just as excited about the future as we fans.

Wow, so the reasons im hearing to trade hemsky are...
he might not re sign.
he isn't a good enough offensive player (Yet he is our top player..)
and he might want a pay raise?

Good luck getting a ppg player for less than what he makes.

Mod edit:

Last edited by Fourier: 04-06-2010 at 07:45 AM.
HopelessOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:17 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree444 View Post
Great. Trade Hemsky for a player who might be as good as hemsky.
I seriously doubt outside of the top 2 picks anyone in this year's top 10 turns out better than Hemsky.

Old
04-05-2010, 10:18 PM
deanmoriarty

I don't think Tambellini is stupid enough to trade Hemsky for any pick other than Seguin/Hall.

Some of you guys ought to check out the list of d-men taken in the top-10 in the last decade or so. It's a huge risk to dump Hemsky for what could easily be a Cam Barker.

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:20 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmoriarty View Post
I don't think Tambellini is stupid enough to trade Hemsky for any pick other than Seguin/Hall.

Some of you guys ought to check out the list of d-men taken in the top-10 in the last decade or so. It's a huge risk to dump Hemsky for what could easily be a Cam Barker.
Exactly. I wouldn't take Jay Bouweemester straight up for Hemsky let alone the chance you end up with a Barker.

It's time the Oilers built a team like the classic Oilers -- built from the forward corps back based on skill.

Old
04-05-2010, 10:21 PM
deanmoriarty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I seriously doubt outside of the top 2 picks anyone in this year's top 10 turns out better than Hemsky.
Agree 100%. Seguin and Hall might not even be as good as Hemsky. It's crazy how overvalued draft picks are here, with this mentality you'd think there's 9 or 10 elite players entering the NHL every year

Old
04-05-2010, 10:24 PM
HopelessOilFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmoriarty View Post
Agree 100%. Seguin and Hall might not even be as good as Hemsky. It's crazy how overvalued draft picks are here, with this mentality you'd think there's 9 or 10 elite players entering the NHL every year
Exactly!

from what i gather on HF: Potential + age> ability.

Old
04-05-2010, 10:24 PM
TaylorHallFan*

I would move Hemsky for a top 5 pick.

And for those of you who say Hemsky is better than all players outside of this or that, you are not discussing trading Hemsky honestly.

We would be trading 2 years of Hemsky for the rights to a player that has a shot to be as good or better than Hemsky for 7 years. That is the reality of the situation. Or I suppose you want to be left with a pocket full of magic beans (Nilsson, O'Marra and Plante) again?

THF

TaylorHallFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:27 PM
HopelessOilFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorHallFan View Post

And for those of you who say Hemsky is better than all players outside of this or that, you are not discussing trading Hemsky honestly.

We would be trading 2 years of Hemsky for the rights to a player that has a shot to be as good or better than Hemsky for 7 years. That is the reality of the situation. Or I suppose you want to be left with a pocket full of magic beans (Nilsson, O'Marra and Plante) again?

THF
Thats not the reality of the situation at all.

We are trading 2 years + potentially more of hemsky for 3 years + potentially more of a draft pick.

You guys all act like he's gone after his contract is up...
not everyone hates edmonton...

Old
04-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Soundwave

I want to see Hemsky play with Hall (dynamite) or Seguin first before making a deal.

If it's not working, then next year at the trade deadline or the 2011 draft, I would be open to a deal, but I just think it would stupid to deal him without seeing what we got in the first place or spending the next 5 years trying to find a playmaker for Hall, when we had a perfectly good one and ended up trading him for Cam Barker or Karl Alzner or Thomas Hickey v.2.0.

Old
04-05-2010, 10:28 PM
battlegoon

Quote:

THF
Only 2 years? Whys that? Nothing says he wont re-sign

Those players could also be much worse and not even end up playing in the NHL in a few years

battlegoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:29 PM
Sayuri

Quote:

THF
Right now only the top two picks have a good shot to be as good or better than Hemsky. After that nothing is even close to guaranteed. I would hate to move Hemsky unless it's for the 1st or 2nd pick depending on how the lottery turns out.

Sayuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:32 PM
sph

Hemsky won't go, I hope.

Don't forget that euro playmakers (Sedin twins - similar play style in that they go into tough areas and are generally pass first players) are only hitting their peak at 30. He is just entering his prime, we will see more improvements from Hemsky who is already a legit top line right winger.

sph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:43 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil_fan85 View Post
Right now only the top two picks have a good shot to be as good or better than Hemsky. After that nothing is even close to guaranteed. I would hate to move Hemsky unless it's for the 1st or 2nd pick depending on how the lottery turns out.
Im not so sure, I think Gormly Fowler and Gundbaldson sp all have number 1 defenseman potential. Sure its hard to say how they will develop but I would take a chance on Fowler and Eric forsure especially if Hemsky is going to cost us a lot of money to resign. I think Eric has the potential to be a Shea Weber type defender down the road and Fowler reminds me a lot of Ryan Suter. I would trade Hemsky either of those players easily.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:48 PM
HopelessOilFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
Im not so sure, I think Gormly Fowler and Gundbaldson sp all have number 1 defenseman potential. Sure its hard to say how they will develop but I would take a chance on Fowler and Eric forsure especially if Hemsky is going to cost us a lot of money to resign. I think Eric has the potential to be a Shea Weber type defender down the road and Fowler reminds me a lot of Ryan Suter. I would trade Hemsky either of those players easily.
Sure we need a defenseman, but by doing this your both trading hemsky for someone who potentially could be as valuable to us as him, but also creating a whole in the first line RW spot.

Where were was webber drafted again?

Old
04-05-2010, 10:51 PM
deanmoriarty

Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
I would trade Hemsky for Shea Weber too, but the bottom line is it's a short-sighted move to trade your teams best player for mere potential. Keep in mind that Weber himself was a 2nd round pick. There are plenty of good-to-elite defensemen in the league who were taken outside of the 1st round.

Old
04-05-2010, 10:54 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I didn't miss the point at all.

I just replied to what i chose to reply to.
You want to trade hemsky for one of the top 4 dmen.

I say he's worth more.

You claim by not wanting to trade him i dont care about a rebuild or doing things right, i disagree and show why what you said makes no sense.

where did i go off course?

It started off as a comment towards your post and then went into the other stupid comments made here.

Please tell me the point of your post so i can tell you why its stupid.
Mod Edit: First of all, I love Ales Hemsky, I think the kid is very talented and he has been a great Oiler. Now let's look at facts. Has missed over 30 games in 2 of the last 4 years. Has never played a full season. Has never reached 80 points. Has never reached 30 goals. Is he a first line player? Yes. Is he a franchise player? No. Does he have a sweetheart cap hit? Yes. Will he by 2013 or 2014 when we are ready to contend? No. Would I give Hemsky away? NO! Would I trade Hemsky for the chance to draft one of Fowler, Gudbransson or Gormley? Yes I personally would. Do I think we would only get that pick if we offered Hemsky? No, I think a team would be willing to add to that. Do I think that we have a bluechip d-man coming? No.

1 of the big 3 d-men would give us that, but not only that (and here is where the proper rebuild comes into play), dealing Hemsky gets us closer to another top 3 pick next season and IMO this team needs another down year. IMO we have about 5 core pieces in place after this draft. You need 7 or 8 to be a real contender. Hemsky IMO (although apparently everyone else's opinion means nothing and everyone should just see it your way), is too old to be part of that group. He isn't too old right now, but by the time that group gets to there prime he will be. I think this team needs another down season and for the love of god nobody is suggesting tanking, but another down season like this one would be very beneficial for this team going forward. I want to see us win Cups and be contenders year in, year out. I don't think we have all the pieces to do that yet. Again, nobody is suggesting giving Hemsky away, but I am suggesting that if we can land a top 5 pick that it is worth it to deal him.

Mod Edit

Last edited by Fourier: 04-06-2010 at 07:38 AM.
Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote