HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Darren Dreger states "the Oilers will attempt to aquire another pick in the top 10"

Old
04-06-2010, 08:48 AM
McCupofOil
Bob The Builder

vCash: 500
They better not trade Hemsky or Penner for any pick below 2, that's all i have to say about that.

McCupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 08:58 AM
McCupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchen44 View Post
the team is not going to do much in the next 3 years so why not trade hemsky. he has never had the type of season we were looking for anyways. i do not see him helping the team anymore
So many things wrong here..... First, do you know that the team won't do much in the next 3 years? Who's to say that they won't turn it around next year with a completely revamped and much more talented lineup? It's amazing that people don't realize what a perfect storm this season was with all the injuries, sickness etc. If the Oilers were even relatively healthy this year, they would have been in that 9-12th place range so don't let this finish fool you into thinking that this will be a guaranteed lottery team for the next couple of years (of course that depends on what trades are made in the offseason). Also, did you say that Hemsky can't help the team anymore? Am i reading that right, so a healthy Hemsky isn't a difference maker?

Old
04-06-2010, 08:59 AM
TaylorHallFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury1474 View Post
So you want us to gamble on a player that could be as good or better than Hemsky but you fail to mention that there is a high likely hood that the player will be worse than Hemsky. Even if the draft pick does pan-out that player will not be as good as Hemsky for at least the first two or three years of those 7 years you are claiming.
I want to gamble on the potential that should be available if we trade him with two years left. Because when we have to trade him in the future it's going to be less. I don't want the standard two busted prospects and a first rounder from a playoff team.

I want a prospect with a legitimate shot at being good, and being good in a couple of years when say Hall is a little better and we're a playoff team again.

Seriously, we are going to be left with magic beans because of the the Hemsky lovefest in Edmonton.

TaylorHallFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 09:01 AM
TaylorHallFan*

Also, I should clarify.

I would trade Hemsky straight up for a top 2 pick.

I would trade Hemsky for a top 5 pick if another prospect or player is added.

TaylorHallFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 09:10 AM
McCupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry570 View Post
Shea Weber... Yeah in a heartbeat,
Ryan Suter... Not so much. Tambo would be the worst GM in the planet if he traded Hemsky for Suter straight up.
Suter might very well be better than Weber currently, have you seen Suter play? The guy is a flat out stud, i would trade Hemsky for Suter without blinking twice but Nashville will never do that.

Old
04-06-2010, 09:15 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Suter might very well be better than Weber currently, have you seen Suter play? The guy is a flat out stud, i would trade Hemsky for Suter without blinking twice but Nashville will never do that.
Suter is not better than Weber.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 09:19 AM
McCupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
He's not as good offensively but he is the superior player defensively and in fact a lot of Nashville fans that i know of think that he's at least as good as Weber.

Old
04-06-2010, 09:53 AM
bleed_oil

I am definitly not very excited with the prospect of trading Hemsky to pick up a 10th overall pick or something of that sort. He is an elite player, its easy to forget that...
If you can trade Hemsky and a package of guys (Gagner, Cogs, whatever else) for the 2nd... great - do it.
If not, dont scrabble around and make mistakes.

bleed_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 10:11 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Stop relying on TSN for player opinions - they're bound to over-rate any player that suits up for Canada.

Suter's mobility and positioning make him a much more reliable player on the backend. Weber handles the bigger guys with ease, but it's Suter who is the primary shutdown guy there. He may not have as much highlight-reel stuff as Weber (hits, shots) - but he's in my opinion better overall.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 10:19 AM
dionysios*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
Stop relying on TSN for player opinions - they're bound to over-rate any player that suits up for Canada.

Suter's mobility and positioning make him a much more reliable player on the backend. Weber handles the bigger guys with ease, but it's Suter who is the primary shutdown guy there. He may not have as much highlight-reel stuff as Weber (hits, shots) - but he's in my opinion better overall.
Maybe he's a tad better in the defensive zone, but overall, Weber is definately a more complete player. He's got a slapshot that could kill a man, it's accurate, moves the puck well up ice, solid passing skills... Shea Weber is a ****ign beast, defensive zone or offensive.

If I had the choice, Weber without a doubt.

dionysios* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 10:21 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysios View Post
Maybe he's a tad better in the defensive zone, but overall, Weber is definately a more complete player. He's got a slapshot that could kill a man, it's accurate, moves the puck well up ice, solid passing skills... Shea Weber is a ****ign beast, defensive zone or offensive.

If I had the choice, Weber without a doubt.
It's definitely harder to find a player in Weber's mould, I'd probably take him too.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 11:12 AM
Loweball

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Hemsky is a better player then anyone outside the top 2.
The love for Hemsky here is absurd. less than a point a game player who can dangle and that's it. On a team full of average players he stands out above the rest. He's good. Not what some here think though. Only Oiler fans think this high about him, nobody else in the league does I assure you.

Dead last place team. Nobody is untouchable. If Hemmer gets us a power forward who can dominate, someone like a Lucic (wont happen) or the like, I help pack his bags. The identity needs a change on this team. You gotta give up something to get something and nobody is taking our garbage like POS or Cogs to get it.

Last edited by Loweball: 04-06-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Loweball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 11:39 AM
HFPM

Send a message via MSN to HFPM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Not a top 50 player in the NHL? Hah.
I'll do it for you. In no particular order.

1. Sedin A
2. Sedin B
3. Alex Ovechkin
4. Sidney Crosby
5. Evgeni Malkin
6. Martin Brodeur
7. Roberto Luongo
8. Zach Parise
9. Pavel Datsyuk
10. Henrik Zetterberg
11. Joe Thornton
12. Dany Heatley
13. Jason Spezza
14. Daniel Alfredsson
15. Patrick Marleau
16. Steve Stamkos
17. Brad Richards
18. Mike Richards
19. Jeff Carter
20. Chris Pronger
21. Drew Doughty
22. Shea Weber
23. Ryan Suter
24. Tomas Vokoun
25. Marian Hossa
26. Patrick Kane
27. Duncan Keith
28. Brent Seabrook
29. Jonathan Toews
30. Ryan Miller
31. Nicklas Backstrom
32. Marian Gaborik
33. Henrik Lundqvist
34. Ilya Kovalchuk
35. Alex Semin
36. Anze Kopitar
37. Mike Green
38. Paul Statsny
39. Jarome Iginla
40. Ryan Getzlaf
41. Corey Perry
42. Rick Nash
43. Vincent Lecavalier
44. Martin St. Louis
45. Eric Staal
46. Dan Boyle
47. Marc Savard
48. Phil Kessel
49. Sergei Gonchar
50. Miikka Kiprusoff

These players are either better right now, or will be in the future. 35 forwards by my count.

You could make arguments for Mike Cammalleri, Patrik Elias, Martin Havlat, Simon Gagne, Shane Doan, and Bobby Ryan.

That spots him at 41st for forwards. That's pretty close to "barely in the top 50 for forwards right now".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury1474 View Post
That is the worst post I have ever seen are you kidding me? You totally overrate draft picks. You do realize that most draft picks don't become NHL players right?

Why is he not a top 50 player in the league? Cause he's been injured since game 22!

Do you watch the guy at all? You know he was a top 20 scorer before he went down right? I swear I hope Hemsky does get traded some of these so called fans are unbelievable.
Read above.

5 out of the top 10 picks every year for the last 3 years are playing on their respective teams. For posterity's sake, I'll comb stats from an older draft.

2005. 12 out of the top 15 playing in the NHL.
2004. 11.
2003. 14.
2002. 13.

Granted, most aren't the player Hemsky is right now. But if this team is truly rebuilding, they'll pawn him off for young assets or picks and start over.

Last edited by HFPM: 04-06-2010 at 11:50 AM.
HFPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 11:45 AM
McCupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFPM View Post

1. Sedin A
2. Sedin B
3. Alex Ovechkin
4. Sidney Crosby
5. Evgeni Malkin
6. Martin Brodeur
7. Roberto Luongo
8. Zach Parise
9. Pavel Datsyuk
10. Henrik Zetterberg
11. Joe Thornton
12. Dany Heatley
13. Jason Spezza
14. Daniel Alfredsson
15. Patrick Marleau
16. Steve Stamkos
17. Brad Richards
18. Mike Richards
19. Jeff Carter
20. Chris Pronger
21. Drew Doughty
22. Shea Weber
23. Ryan Suter
24. Tomas Vokoun
25. Marian Hossa
26. Patrick Kane
27. Duncan Keith
28. Brent Seabrook
29. Jonathan Toews
30. Ryan Miller
31. Nicklas Backstrom
32. Marian Gaborik
33. Henrik Lundqvist
34. Ilya Kovalchuk
35. Alex Semin
36. Anze Kopitar
37. Mike Green
38. Paul Statsny
39. Jarome Iginla
40. Ryan Getzlaf
41. Corey Perry
42. Rick Nash
43. Vincent Lecavalier
44. Martin St. Louis
45. Eric Staal
46. Dan Boyle
47. Marc Savard
48. Phil Kessel
49. Sergei Gonchar
50. Miikka Kiprusoff

These players are either better right now, or will be in the future. 35 forwards by my count.

You could make arguments for Mike Cammalleri, Patrik Elias, Martin Havlat, Simon Gagne, Shane Doan, and Bobby Ryan.

That spots him at 41st for forwards. That's pretty close to "barely in the top 50 for forwards right now".

When you first said that Hemsky is not even top 50, i thought that was crazy but after looking at this list, i agree that he's not better than any of those players in the top 50 and i would take Elias and Doan over him also and i would put Cam Ward in that top 50 also. We don't have one top 50 player on the team, damn that's some harsh reality.

Old
04-06-2010, 11:45 AM
c4fn8d

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFPM View Post

1. Sedin A
2. Sedin B
3. Alex Ovechkin
4. Sidney Crosby
5. Evgeni Malkin
6. Martin Brodeur
7. Roberto Luongo
8. Zach Parise
9. Pavel Datsyuk
10. Henrik Zetterberg
11. Joe Thornton
12. Dany Heatley
13. Jason Spezza
14. Daniel Alfredsson
15. Patrick Marleau
16. Steve Stamkos
17. Brad Richards
18. Mike Richards
19. Jeff Carter
20. Chris Pronger
21. Drew Doughty
22. Shea Weber
23. Ryan Suter
24. Tomas Vokoun
25. Marian Hossa
26. Patrick Kane
27. Duncan Keith
28. Brent Seabrook
29. Jonathan Toews
30. Ryan Miller
31. Nicklas Backstrom
32. Marian Gaborik
33. Henrik Lundqvist
34. Ilya Kovalchuk
35. Alex Semin
36. Anze Kopitar
37. Mike Green
38. Paul Statsny
39. Jarome Iginla
40. Ryan Getzlaf
41. Corey Perry
42. Rick Nash
43. Vincent Lecavalier
44. Martin St. Louis
45. Eric Staal
46. Dan Boyle
47. Marc Savard
48. Phil Kessel
49. Sergei Gonchar
50. Miikka Kiprusoff

And how many of the players on this list would sign with the oilers at a cap hit of 4.1 M dollars?

c4fn8d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 11:51 AM
McDorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 50
Another thing you might want to take into consideration in that top 50 list is the age of some of the players. There are a few trending downwards while Hemsky is just into his prime

McDorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 11:54 AM
HFPM

Send a message via MSN to HFPM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Another thing you might want to take into consideration in that top 50 list is the age of some of the players. There are a few trending downwards while Hemsky is just into his prime
And you could just as easily toss Matt Duchene, Tuukka Rask, and Tyler Myers in the near future onto that list. The fact of the matter is he's been spinning his wheels for a while now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4fn8d View Post
And how many of the players on this list would sign with the oilers at a cap hit of 4.1 M dollars?
That wasn't the question asked, was it?

HFPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 11:54 AM
ponokanocker

Quote:
You're missing the point. You win championships with your key players in the top 50, not below that. If you can move Hemsky for a player that can be in the top 50, you do it.

ponokanocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 11:56 AM
rigger

I'd move Souray + for a pick in the top 15 but Im afraid people won't trade for him unless he comes out and scores in the first dozen or so games next season.

I don't mond keeping him either. Perhaps a team that needs some scoring help right away would consider Cogliano who has lived up to or exceeded his draft position already and could chip in 20 next season on a decent line. Cogliano +3rd for a top 15 pick?

Take one of the big d men in the first round. There are a few guys who are 6'2" - 6'4" 200+ pound mobile defenders in the first draft.

We've got forward prospect for our top 2 lines but we haven't got a lot for potential #1 d men outside of Petry. I'd like to select a guy like Hayes or Merrill if they drop to the 31st spot unless someone else has dropped off that was rated higher but if the Oilers could move Cogliano (+) for a pick to acquire Derek Forbort. I see him as a bigger version of Suter.

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 11:56 AM
c4fn8d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
You're missing the point. You win championships with your key players in the top 50, not below that. If you can move Hemsky for a player that can be in the top 50, you do it.
Moving a team's best player for a prospect or a pick is nothing short of gambling. If Tambo did this and lost the gamble, people would be calling for his head.

c4fn8d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 11:57 AM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
So many things wrong here..... First, do you know that the team won't do much in the next 3 years? Who's to say that they won't turn it around next year with a completely revamped and much more talented lineup? It's amazing that people don't realize what a perfect storm this season was with all the injuries, sickness etc. If the Oilers were even relatively healthy this year, they would have been in that 9-12th place range so don't let this finish fool you into thinking that this will be a guaranteed lottery team for the next couple of years (of course that depends on what trades are made in the offseason). Also, did you say that Hemsky can't help the team anymore? Am i reading that right, so a healthy Hemsky isn't a difference maker?
You're absolutely right, we would have likely been a 9-12th place team with a healthy lineup. We "might" have squeaked into the playoffs, but with a lineup that had no chance of competing. Is this where you want to see this team? I want a championship.

Old
04-06-2010, 11:59 AM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Moving a team's best player for a prospect or a pick is nothing short of gambling. If Tambo did this and lost the gamble, people would be calling for his head.
It's the risk you take for a chance at greatness. If you aren't willing to take a risk, you are stuck as a bubble team. I much prefer the gamble at this point.

Old
04-06-2010, 12:04 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
It's the risk you take for a chance at greatness. If you aren't willing to take a risk, you are stuck as a bubble team. I much prefer the gamble at this point.
If you take the risk and fail, then you're still a bubble team. Sometimes the best trades are the ones that you don't make. Look at the rumored Rangers trade for Stamkos last year.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 12:06 PM
Joe Hallenback

vCash: 777
Since 2005 there has no been no trades involving players and top 10 picks

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 12:13 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loweball View Post
The love for Hemsky here is absurd. less than a point a game player who can dangle and that's it. On a team full of average players he stands out above the rest. He's good. Not what some here think though. Only Oiler fans think this high about him, nobody else in the league does I assure you.

Dead last place team. Nobody is untouchable. If Hemmer gets us a power forward who can dominate, someone like a Lucic (wont happen) or the like, I help pack his bags. The identity needs a change on this team. You gotta give up something to get something and nobody is taking our garbage like POS or Cogs to get it.
The overlooking of Hemsky's contributions here is what is absurd. Very very close to a PPG player(BTW, just like H Sedin pre this season), on a horrible team(without him), and has a great contract.

And Lucic?!? You need to watch more then hilights my friend. Lucic is a borderline top 6 player. Sure he can hit, but that is about it. Dominate? Please. How has that domination helped the Bruins this year? You know Hemsky still has more points then Lucic this season right? In less then 1/2 the games?

No one is untouchable on a last place team, but you don't trade you best player just to shake things up. Hemsky was a PPG before he went down last year and I'm looking forward to seeing him return and score at that pace again next season

Last edited by s7ark: 04-06-2010 at 12:19 PM. Reason: hit post before completion
s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote