HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

New Ice coming to Rutherford County?

Old
04-06-2010, 10:03 AM
predfan24

vCash: 500
New Ice coming to Rutherford County?

http://www.dnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...ID=20104060317

This would be huge for area hockey. Middle TN desperately needs more sheets of ice and Rutherford county has huge untapped potential as far as getting kids into the sport. If this happens in 10 years Rutherford, especially Murfreesboro, would be what Franklin is now. This would also be great for High School hockey as they could expand the league to allow more teams and area high schools would get involved. (Only Rutherford high school currently involved is Blackman)

On a personal more selfish note, since I live in the Boro where A Game and Centennial sportsplex are both 30+ minutes away this would amazing for me.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 10:21 AM
Bad Karma

LaVergne HS used to have have a team also. I think it being centrally located in the county would better than all the way out in the Barfield community. Still looking at well over 30 minutes for people on the north end of the county no matter where they go.

Bad Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 10:48 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

I guess beggars can't be choosers ? ... That's awesome that someone is willing to put time, money & effort into a complex like this

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 02:45 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones93 View Post
LaVergne HS used to have have a team also. I think it being centrally located in the county would better than all the way out in the Barfield community. Still looking at well over 30 minutes for people on the north end of the county no matter where they go.
Agreed on the location. Seemed a bit odd to me. Still I think just because it will be easier to access then going to N-ville I think it will do good business. Lavergne and Siegel have both Co-op'ed in the last couple of years however the percentage of players they supplied to the co-op was very small. I think this will help one of the biggest fastest growing counties in TN start growing some hockey players. Plus more high school teams equals more exposure and this will help that a lot. Ice time is at a premium with high school practices sometimes not starting till 10 and adult rec games not starting till 11.

Bottom line is in order for hockey to grow we need more sheets of ice spread out in Middle TN. This is a start.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 05:52 PM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

This is pretty cool. I'm fortunate enough to live right between Centennial and A Game (I'm about 15 minutes from either location) but I have a membership with Centennial so I tend to go there. But this would be great for local hockey!

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 06:08 PM
JohniusMaximus
Digging the Sarchasm

Bring it on. I'd love some ice close to home. I'd gladly go break a shin on it.

JohniusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 07:45 PM
Nitrous Mafia

I always felt bad for the MTSU players after I was leaving Southern Ice from a Franklin game. Just warming up at like 11pm? Ouch.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 09:01 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I'd like it too, but wish they go a little closer to Murfreesboro or Smyrna.. Still, not a bad drive for me either way.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 09:35 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

When my son was playing for LaVergne they had their own team all for themselves. Only lasted for 2 yrs, but it was neat. And the drives to and from Franklin at 11:00 PM really sucked, so I think a rink near Barfield (where I sometimes play disc golf) would be greagt to grow the sport. I can tell you the commute for some families was a deal-breaker, with other kids playing soccer/football/basketball too.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 11:09 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by bburton86 View Post
I always felt bad for the MTSU players after I was leaving Southern Ice from a Franklin game. Just warming up at like 11pm? Ouch.
As a former coach with both the ice and inline programs at MTSU and having worked briefly with Blackman this season, I can tell you that it did in fact hold down participation in both the program and in practices themselves...

Having to ask a student-athlete and/or their parents to bring their son in upwards of 50 minutes each way for a 50 minute practice beginning at either 10 or 11 PM on a school night is very difficult and certainly has a non-monetary cost associated with it for both the on and off-ice (classroom) product.

Having a rink available in the Murfreesboro area would not only help alleviate some of scheduling issues, but would certainly help grow the game in a very rapid manner.

Additionally, the development of an indoor inline facility will also help grow the game as well. In a USA Hockey InLine meeting a few years ago in Nashville it was discussed and agreed upon that the best way to grow the sport in both the short and long term is to get kids playing hockey in any form or fashion. I fell in love with the sport back in kindergarten gym class when we did a unit on floor hockey and I first picked up a stick and scored a goal, then moved back to defense and stopped a rush, then got an opportunity in goal and made save after save...from that day forward any time I could get a stick in my hands and even just stickhandle a ball of tape was a great day for me and it remains true today...

One of the best assets for the Nashville hockey market is simply the amount of people within the community that have never had any experience with hockey in any form or fashion and are indifferent to the sport. The key to our long-term growth and success as an NHL market is tapping into that section of the community as often as possible by providing opportunities because I believe hockey is a sport that largely sells itself...it all boils down to getting a stick into the hands of a child or getting someone through the Bridgestone Arena doors to attend a game. Once you experience the game, you are hooked, and once you are hooked...it becomes an addiction that you simply cannot shake...

To sum it up...this would be a tremendous opportunity for the growth of the sport at multiple levels throughout the Middle Tennessee community and Rutherford County specifically. The growth of the sport at any level cannot be overlooked for it's impact on the Predators and I'm truly hopeful that this turns into a great advancement for our sport...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 02:11 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Sumner County needs a rink. Hendersonville alone has 4 HS teams: Hendersonville, Pope John Paul II, Beech, Station Camp.

A rink anywhere north of Davidson County would help.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 09:59 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth5 View Post
When my son was playing for LaVergne they had their own team all for themselves. Only lasted for 2 yrs, but it was neat. And the drives to and from Franklin at 11:00 PM really sucked, so I think a rink near Barfield (where I sometimes play disc golf) would be greagt to grow the sport. I can tell you the commute for some families was a deal-breaker, with other kids playing soccer/football/basketball too.
Culley drove them away....

Old
04-07-2010, 10:00 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Culley drove them away....
just kidding of course, Culley is a friend of mine.

Old
04-07-2010, 10:06 AM
Bad Karma

Some of you may know the answer to this, is there an actual league that uses the inline rink at Veterans Memorial?

Old
04-07-2010, 10:08 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

It used to be ran by youth inc, which is why alot of us left and went back to ice hockey.

I tried running adult p/u there for awhile but the weather and lights were just too inconsistant.

Old
04-07-2010, 10:31 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones93 View Post
Some of you may know the answer to this, is there an actual league that uses the inline rink at Veterans Memorial?
Yes, for the past couple of seasons there is an adult league being run...

http://www.naihlonline.com/

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:05 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I wish the hockey leagues would organize and find a way to plan on expansion. This rink would be huge. Now try and bring back the rink to the Chattanooga Choo Choo.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:21 AM
Bad Karma

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
It used to be ran by youth inc, which is why alot of us left and went back to ice hockey.

I tried running adult p/u there for awhile but the weather and lights were just too inconsistant.
Yeah I remember you did p/u for a while then Ryan did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Yes, for the past couple of seasons there is an adult league being run...

http://www.naihlonline.com/
Oh ok, I just don't see it as advertised in the city as much as everything else is.

Old
04-07-2010, 06:09 PM
Milly79

I used to play in the NAIHL. It's pretty fun for a while, but once you start getting the pros/joes going, it loses interest fast. It's not so fun kicking the crap out of guys that can barely skate, but then you get the guys that have played at a pro level and just dominate teams left and right... if they're not drunk.

Milly79 is offline   Reply With Quote