HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#79 | Montreal Canadiens vs. New York Islanders | Apr 6 | 7:00p

Old
04-06-2010, 10:59 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post
I'm going to disagree. I actually think he has a rather accurate slapshot (especially at this stage) but then again I've been watching the rest of our defense so I may have the bar set EXTREMELY low. I don't even want to count the times this season I've yelled "hit the ****ing net."

I think his offensive numbers will continue to improve the more time he gets in the NHL (as well as on the PP.)

Mitch
Quote:
Originally Posted by *********** View Post
Almost always on net.
You guys are probably right, just seems like most of the time I see him shoot hes missing the net.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 11:01 PM
Renbarg

He's is also very smart both offensively and defensively. I remember three or four times when he took slap shots at guys sticks rather than the net. Once it actually led to a Bergy goal.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 11:12 PM
malPHONEY

I am so proud of the way the Isles are playing right now.

Anyway, hopefully Bergie isn;t just doing his late season tease to give us hope that he wil lscore 20 goals one day...

And did anyone else here Okposo drop the F-Bomb in OT after his shot?

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 11:28 PM
nyislanders92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
i have to say i was very impressed with the isles tonight, thought they deserved the win. big fan of comeau and macdonald, really like what they do out there. you guys seem to be building a strong team with a nice core, my only question is how is the goalie situation? are you guys happy with it? (not implying a trade with montreal), just thought it was weird to see biron start tonight and thought a younger guy would of played.
The Islanders just don't have any goalie prospects ready for the NHL yet, and Biron has been playing great lately, the Islanders will most likely go with Roloson in net next year and maybe even bring Biron back (hopefully), to give the other goalies some time to properly develope. The Islanders should have some goalies ready in 2years though.

nyislanders92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 11:34 PM
majormet

This was a great win. Like I said in another post 6-0 down the stretch would not bother me, because we would beat a lot of the demons (Montreal, Ottawa, Philly) and get wins over NJ and Pitt.

The Habs fans were very professional and not nasty, just loud, I will take them over Ranger or Flyer fans in our building.

My big concern is that Snow may be looking at these games like "it is all coming together" now and not invest as much in the FA's, bottom line is that of the 18 guys that were on the ice tonight, I can see not bringing back 4 of the guys (Jackman, Gillies, Meyer, and Flood). But I also see only one guy in our system of guys that can come in and play and that is Martin. I would keep Gillies and Schremp as the luxury box guys along with Gervais who we are stuck with.

Bergenheim is playing a lot better, I am going the negative road here, he is padding stats for contract time. But at least I know he is capable of playing at another level and a damn good one.

The 2nd period stunk.... our best player of the past 25 games was not on the ice and it shows... Blake Comeau is our best forward, 2 way player, attacks on offense and gets back on defense

I am going to get some heat but I want Sim back. I really have watched him and he doesn't screw up at all, and draws his share of penalties. He is doing well on a line with Hunter and Nielsen and can see that as our 3rd line next year.

Dylan Reese should be our #6 dman next year, he is built for Gordon's system, he would be very exposed on most teams but not here.

Three guys played poorly tonight... Hillen, Bailey and Flood. Hillen gambled more than usual. Bailey took 2 dumb penalties and had turnovers and Flood is awful.

Most impressive Canadian player is the guy I seriously coveted and that is Plekanec, he is an advanced version of Frans Nielsen, they are very very similar. Which means I would rather put mucho bucks into 2 defensemen next year.

This team really needs a 2nd offensive defenseman and I would glady overpay for 2 years of Adrian Aucoin. Another offensive dman would make the jobs of Okposo, Comeau, Bailey and Moulson a lot easier.

I don't care what anyone says, Richard Park is a good vet leader for a 4th line that doesn't require as much ice time.

Okposo's F bomb was very loud in person.

Hal Gill and Jon Sim looked really funny next to each other having a conversation. Surprisingly it was an amiable one. Hal Gill is also a very poor man's Andy Sutton.

Fun game and we are winning games now in styles we did not win earlier in the year.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 12:00 AM
Tavares2TheRescue
Hawks Bandwagoner

vCash: 200
Best case scenario: Isles win the remaining 4 games, Tavares takes the rookie lead for goals and points, Comeau reaches 20 goals, Moulson reaches 30 goals, and Bruno suffers a career ending injury. Isles pick 7th, but win lotto and pick Cam Fowler at #3 overall, who becomes a stud.

Worst case scenario: Isles lose the remaining 4 games, the whole team is awful, gets plagued by more injuries, and end up with the 4th pick. But, they end up picking Kabanov who stays in Russia his entire career.

I don't see the need of tanking anymore.

Tavares2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 12:04 AM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavares2TheRescue View Post
Best case scenario: Isles win the remaining 4 games, Tavares takes the rookie lead for goals and points, Comeau reaches 20 goals, Moulson reaches 30 goals, and Bruno suffers a career ending injury. Isles pick 7th, but win lotto and pick Cam Fowler at #3 overall, who becomes a stud.

Worst case scenario: Isles lose the remaining 4 games, the whole team is awful, gets plagued by more injuries, and end up with the 4th pick. But, they end up picking Kabanov who stays in Russia his entire career.

Good post, LOL, I am loving these games, probably because as a fan like the players I feel no pressure hehehee

Gervais has to be moved to a team with a semi-bad contract to offer up, like a Brad Boyes type of move. You could put him on the Okposo/Bailey line and drop Moulson to play with Hunter and Frans. That would narrow the offseason needs to getting 2 top 4 dman, and I can live with Hillen/Reese as my bottom pairing.

Old
04-07-2010, 12:22 AM
malPHONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavares2TheRescue View Post

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but Gervais is just a mediocre hockey player exposed by extended minutes. You'd wish a career ending injury on him? Probably not, but not my kind of humor anyway.

Old
04-07-2010, 12:32 AM
FerraroVolek

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH1 View Post
**** tanking, I wanna see some more wins. Too bad they waited until April to stop embarrassing themselves.
Coincidence that DP and Gervais are out of the picture? I'm not saying anything one way or another. Just food for thought.

FerraroVolek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 12:35 AM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Well, one positive of finishing out of the lottery is that we will likely send back whoever we draft to play another year in juniors. What that means is Snow wont be able to put that rookie contract towards getting to the cap floor(this is usually around 3mil), so hopefully it would mean he would be forced to go out and sign a UFA with that money instead.

(And no I'm not saying I wouldn't LOVE to have a guy like Seguin/Hall/Fowler)

Last edited by Doug Height: 04-07-2010 at 01:02 AM.
Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 12:37 AM
malPHONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerraroVolek View Post
Coincidence that DP and Gervais are out of the picture? I'm not saying anything one way or another. Just food for thought.
I'm not blaming DP for this. Correlation does not imply causation.

Old
04-07-2010, 03:33 AM
Muuri

Bergenheim last 5 games 4+4. Pretty impressive, I hope that he comes to World championships.

Muuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 07:37 AM
Dan-o16

Couple of comments:

- Fun hockey game to watch, absolutely *lousy* neutral zone coverage by both teams. Each team gave up the zone with barely a fight.

- Montreal, aside from O'Byrne, is soft soft softy soft. Just like us.

- Flood is hopeless.

- How many times to we have to see this from Bergenheim? Too bad he never goes off *before* the trading deadline... ugh.

- Comeau injury hurts. He's just going to the right places. I liked this goal better than some of his other plays. He just got the shot off in traffic, and a good thing happened.

- Okposo is tired and frustrated.

- Tavares excels against soft teams. Man did he have opportunities last night, but was beaten by Halak.

- The Kostitsyns are exactly what one does not want on one's team. A couple of disinterested Kovalev wannabes. Please, no players like them!

- Markov and Halak are going to have to carry that team for them to win a round in the playoffs.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:24 AM
KH1

Quote:
Yeah, total coincidence. I don't buy any of the conspiracy theories that DiPietro's return caused a losing streak (the Isles ****** play from top to bottom was good enough to accomplish that on its own.) And as much as Chef Bruno is an embarrassment out there, Mark Flood played a pretty brutal game.

This has more to do with good goaltending and a top line that has been a scoring threat every time on ice.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:40 AM
Hockify

Quote:
I don't think either of them are out of the picture I think they are both just not playing during games. They still practice and hang with their team. I read a thing yesterday about DiPietro after games signing autographs for kids.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:42 AM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH1 View Post
Yeah, total coincidence. I don't buy any of the conspiracy theories that DiPietro's return caused a losing streak (the Isles ****** play from top to bottom was good enough to accomplish that on its own.) And as much as Chef Bruno is an embarrassment out there, Mark Flood played a pretty brutal game.

This has more to do with good goaltending and a top line that has been a scoring threat every time on ice.
You probably also want to factor in overachieving by Meyer and Reese on D, and the presence of Gillies as well as the other 2 factors.

Old
04-07-2010, 12:12 PM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
This and the Hawks games was probably the best game i've been to all year.

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 02:52 PM
E_Godard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanperro View Post
This and the Hawks games was probably the best game i've been to all year.
It was a great game to be at. Its not often we pull off a win with 50% of the building packed with Canadiens.

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote