HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Back in to Roller Hockey. Question About Old Skates

Old
04-01-2010, 01:59 AM
DogFoodEnforcer

vCash: 500
Back in to Roller Hockey. Question About Old Skates

so i just got invited to play for a roller hockey team this summer. thing is, i havent played inline hockey in 8 years, and my skates are 8 or 9 years old.

first of all, the boot REALLY sucks (especially when compared to my X60 skates). there is no support. but whatever.

im more concerned about the wheels and bearings.

i assume that the bearings should be fine, and most likely just need a good cleaning. any recommended ways to do that? or just take the allen wrench to them and give them a good spray of air and some wd-40?

on top of that, will the wheels still be ok after sitting unused for 8 years? will they be brittle and lack grip?

furthermore...IF i should get new bearings/wheels or both, how much would/should it cost for replacements?

DogFoodEnforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 09:13 AM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

Don't use Wd-40, it's not a good lubricant for things like bearings that roll at high speeds and get hot. To clean out your bearings you can buy a kit from Bones and soak them. You could also use something like paint thinner too if you already have it laying around the house. After soaking, make sure to dry them completely then lube them with a light grease. If you're buying new bearings they shouldn't be more than $30 for both skates. Remember you need 16 bearings (two for each wheel). See this article on cleaning skate bearings.

Wheels are about the same price--sometimes you can find a set of wheels that come with bearings. Buying them together can save you some money. Usually wheels last for quite a while, you should try skating on your old ones first and see how they feel. The bearings, on the other hand, will almost certainly need to be replaced. Good luck.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 10:57 AM
DogFoodEnforcer

Thanks for that reply. Glad i asked!

hmm...

yeah, the bearing are ok (they roll), but when i took the wheels off the chassis last night they are kinda gritty.

what kind of grease would you recommend? WD-40 is what i had lying around.lol

im debating whether I replace the bearings, replace the wheels and bearings, or go buy a new pair of skates ($130 bucks down from 200)...

my current skates are so uncomfortable...but i know the old lady will bite my head off if i come home with more new hockey equipment (this past season was full of new purchases.lol).

i should never had shown her my current inline skates, i should have just bought new ones and played them off like they're new!lol

DogFoodEnforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 05:51 PM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

Your basic white lithium grease will do the trick. Anything that works on bicycle bearings should be fine as well. Make sure you service them in this order: 1) Clean/Soak 2) Dry 3) Lube. Props to you for wanting to repair them. So many peeps think they need new stuff when servicing the old stuff would be almost as good, but that's another discussion :-)

However, if your boot is awful and uncomfortable--in this instance you should probably get new skates!

If you feel like you're wasting $ by replacing your wheels, consider that some new skates come with wheels that aren't the right hardness for the surface and you end up having to buy new ones anyways.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 12:09 PM
TinofGrizz

Do you know what kind of surface you are going to be skating on? Skate's from 8-9 years ago typically came with a little harder of a wheel, more rinks used roll-on over wood floor opposed to sport court so even if the wheels don't break you may be sliding all over the place. To get a nice pair of sport court wheels now a days you are looking at $70-$100, you can get a pair of skate for $200 with that quality wheel already on it, if your boot sucks new skates may be the way to go. If you like the Bauer fit, try something like this

http://www.hockey.us/mens-inline-hoc...0-p179131.html

If you want to spend a little less look at this Mission skate, they changed their sizing this year so it is the same as Bauer ice skates.

http://www.hockey.us/mens-inline-hoc...0-p179096.html

TinofGrizz is offline   Reply With Quote