HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

To Fail at Failing (Canes @ Bolts)

Old
04-07-2010, 10:41 AM
totalkev

vCash: 500
My point about line juggling is that it's not a bad thing *at all*. I just wish Mo was better at it. The point of the last three games is to find some chemistry for next season. What are we going to learn from Staal-Jokinen-LaRose that we don't know already (i.e. that we need more help for Staal)? What are we going to learn from Sutter-Whitney-Cole that we don't already know (i.e. that it's a good way to take Sutter from revelation to ineffective). What are we going to learn from Dwyer-Bowman-Boychuk that we don't already know (i.e. that they won't be together as a line next year, so this is a total waste of NHL minutes). I don't mind Brindy-Samsonov-Kostopoulos, only because they could very well be together next year as the highest-priced fourth line in the league. So much for JR's "slotting" plan (which sucks to begin with and needs to die a slow, painful death).

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 10:43 AM
totalkev

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanesUltimate11 View Post
I loved his face afterwards, had the brief moment of "Woohoo I scored a goal..." followed by "oh crap I just took away your hat trick..."
If you read his lips, he said "I didn't think." Pretty much sums up Rosie.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 10:56 AM
Boom Boom Anton

I'm not a big Mo fan, but want to put some of this into perspective from my point of view.

Did the Canes absolutely stink to start the year? Yep..and IMO, he is partially to blame, but I think the line-up JR put together, injuries, and poor performance by players (some of who were injured) played a big role in this. After all, other than the cup year, Laviolette never made the playoffs with this group of players so this type of 1st half performance and missing the playoffs after a long run isn't unique to Maurice.

RE: the line juggling...I think way too much is made out of that especially this year. Look at what he's had to work with and what he faced.

Only Pitkanen (and he is now hurt) is remaining on the active roster from the starting 6 defense (Corvo, Alberts, Ward, Wallin traded...Gleason Injured). Both Goalies from the start of the season were out for a long time. Injuries removed Staal, Ruutu, LaRose, and Cole from the line-up for long periods of time. Cullen and Walker were traded at the deadline.

A lot of guys that were never in the plans to play much time at the NHL level have had to play (Dwyer, Sutter, Boychuk, Bowman, Rodney, Harrison, Carson, McBain).

I have no problem with him juggling lines and seeing how different guys perform with other guys (and in different situations) as the team looks forward to next year. Just my $0.02

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 12:18 PM
Florentino Ariza

Does anybody know if Ward is definitely starting the final games?

Florentino Ariza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
My point about line juggling is that it's not a bad thing *at all*. I just wish Mo was better at it. The point of the last three games is to find some chemistry for next season. What are we going to learn from Staal-Jokinen-LaRose that we don't know already (i.e. that we need more help for Staal)? What are we going to learn from Sutter-Whitney-Cole that we don't already know (i.e. that it's a good way to take Sutter from revelation to ineffective). What are we going to learn from Dwyer-Bowman-Boychuk that we don't already know (i.e. that they won't be together as a line next year, so this is a total waste of NHL minutes). I don't mind Brindy-Samsonov-Kostopoulos, only because they could very well be together next year as the highest-priced fourth line in the league. So much for JR's "slotting" plan (which sucks to begin with and needs to die a slow, painful death).
No problem at all with lines in the last week. It's the randomness and idiocy displayed with the combos through out the years. I guess it's just an opinion. Things like putting Cole on the point in our PP's in a MUST win game against FLA and we went 0-8 that night.

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 12:35 PM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
What are we going to learn from Dwyer-Bowman-Boychuk that we don't already know (i.e. that they won't be together as a line next year, so this is a total waste of NHL minutes).
Sometimes it's not just about what the organization learns. I like seeing Bowman and Boychuk as 3rd line wings (too bad they aren't centered by a more skilled player or an actual center for that matter) because I've always felt it's one of the best spots for young guys to grow and learn.

Sure, they don't play with the best players but they aren't going against top checking lines or top 4 D either. Learning to play and getting confidence at the NHL level is critical for them both going into the next season's camp. I don't see it as a waste at all because the 3rd line is a good place for them at this point and this time of year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
No problem at all with lines in the last week. It's the randomness and idiocy displayed with the combos through out the years. I guess it's just an opinion. Things like putting Cole on the point in our PP's in a MUST win game against FLA and we went 0-8 that night.
But you are assuming they are random, though it's certainly your right to see them as idiotic.

With respect to the failed Cole on the PP vs. FLA, there were actually reasons that I saw for that move that had to do with personnel changes on both teams. You can't argue the fact that it didn't work but you can certainly argue it wasn't random.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 12:51 PM
AD Skinner

I've never been a big fan of Maurice. I wasn't a fan during his first stint here and I didn't think it was a good idea to hire him back a second time. I do think that he implemented a much more coherent system of team play and defensive responsibility than Laviolette did, but the whole reason I wasn't a fan of his in the first place is that more often than not, he runs his teams very conservatively and defensively, and (especially compared to Laviolette's Hurricanes) that is boring to watch. But anyway. I don't think anyone really figures that Maurice has like a lottery wheel full of ping pong balls with players' names on it or anything; I think in certain cases though such as the Florida game with Cole on the power play, it was an experiment that didn't work and at no point was it changed. This particular game really bugged me a lot, so forgive me if I'm delving too deep into one example, but Carolina had 8 power plays that night, and Cole was on the point for every single one of them. If you try it a few times and it doesn't work that's one thing, but 8 times?

AD Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 12:57 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Cole got 4 mins of PP time that night in 8 opportunities. There were a bunch of players that got more, and the players that got less are guys like Dwyer, Brind'Amour, LaRose, etc. Even Samsonov got 3 mins that night.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 01:45 PM
AD Skinner

Even so, 4 out of 16 minutes is 25% of the entire man-up time Carolina had in the game. And again, what bugged me isn't that Cole was tried on the point, it was that it kept getting tried over and over when it clearly wasn't working. Cole had 44 seconds of PP time on 2 power plays in the first period (he also took a penalty while Carolina was on their first PP, after being on ice from the beginning of it), 1:51 on four PPs in the second, and 1:28 on the only Carolina PP in the third. So as the game progressed, Cole was getting more and more powerplay time.

AD Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 02:13 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

All while Picard, who was one of the more efficient g/min on pp, got 0:00 min.

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 06:24 PM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sam View Post
Cole got 4 mins of PP time that night in 8 opportunities. There were a bunch of players that got more, and the players that got less are guys like Dwyer, Brind'Amour, LaRose, etc. Even Samsonov got 3 mins that night.
Your avatar is SWEET. Love the despairing Devils fans.

ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 09:29 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

I love it for the "Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil, See No Evil" fans in the background

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote