HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Atlanta on the move in 2011?

Closed Thread

Old
04-06-2010, 02:10 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Atlanta on the move in 2011?

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/ellio...c-at-best.html

Quote:
Remember that seven-year, no-movement agreement Balsillie wanted no part of in Pittsburgh? Atlanta's runs out on March 31, 2011.
So, regardless of the impact on the naming rights agreement for the Phillips Arena, if they really want to concentrate on NBA (and use those 40+ dates for something else) and management/ownership is still messed up (financially), the Thrashers could be on the move next spring.

(There are threads set up for a number of potential destinations. Let's keep this thread focused on Atlanta's future in Georgia, not potential destinations.)

Old
04-06-2010, 02:15 PM
Brodie
voted best

If they want out of the hockey business, which is very much debatable, they do have the benefit of being a mobile asset. I doubt the league would be too enthused about the idea, though.

Old
04-06-2010, 02:15 PM
hockeydadx2*

Here we go again.

Old
04-06-2010, 03:17 PM
Jesus Christ Horburn

If the rumors were true, supposedly both the TNSE group and the Tom Gaglardi group "explored" relocating the Thrashers as early as spring of 2009.

Quote:
Sources have told ESPN.com that a number of groups, including one from Winnipeg, have explored the potential of buying the Thrashers and moving them out of Atlanta.
http://myespn.go.com/s/conversations/show/story/4241315

Quote:
Gaglardi is reportedly interested in having the Thrashers in Hamilton in time for the 2010 season.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=278109

Old
04-06-2010, 03:19 PM
krudmonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Let's keep this thread focused on Atlanta's future in Georgia

Old
04-06-2010, 03:23 PM
Guy Legend

I don't think the Thrashers move. Atlanta is far too large of a market to abandon, and their attendance numbers don't seem to be that concerning considering their absolute lack of success in their franchise's history. How Don Waddell still has a job after all these years is quite amazing.

Old
04-06-2010, 03:29 PM
Free Edler
Soft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Legend View Post
I don't think the Thrashers move. Atlanta is far too large of a market to abandon, and their attendance numbers don't seem to be that concerning considering their absolute lack of success in their franchise's history. How Don Waddell still has a job after all these years is quite amazing.
I would suspect the only reason Waddell still has a job is the complete and utter mess of the Thrashers' ownership. Nobody has enough power to make the decision to turf him.

Old
04-06-2010, 03:35 PM
GuelphMadHatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJP View Post
I would suspect the only reason Waddell still has a job is the complete and utter mess of the Thrashers' ownership. Nobody has enough power to make the decision to turf him.
Probably.... with no marketable big name star now with Kovalchuck gone it makes the situation there even more difficult.... Its unfortunate.

Old
04-06-2010, 03:41 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Agreed .. the problem here is the connection between the general manager chair and the general manager desk.

Old
04-06-2010, 03:45 PM
NYR Hockey Fan

Quote:
I live in Atlanta and go to Thrashers games ... unfortunately not many others do.

The only time friends or co-workers of mine go to the games is when they get free or discounted tickets. Trust me, no one in this city cares or will notice if they move.

Last edited by NYR Hockey Fan: 04-06-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old
04-06-2010, 03:47 PM
GuelphMadHatter

Do they really care about the Hawks either?

Old
04-06-2010, 03:52 PM
Doug Smail

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Hockey Fan View Post
I live in Atlanta and go to Thrashers games ... unfortunately not many others do.

The only time friends or co-works of mine go to the games is when they get free or discounted tickets. Trust me, no one in this city cares or will notice if they move.

A moving statement from the "horses mouth". (someone who lives in Atlanta)

Old
04-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
I laughed really hard at this. Thanks

Old
04-06-2010, 04:00 PM
NYR Hockey Fan

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphMadHatter View Post
Do they really care about the Hawks either?
Not really but there has been some excitement this year. The people of this city are all about Georgia football - something I couldn't care less about.

Old
04-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Confucius

I wouldn't be surprised if Kovalchuck Knew or had a very strong feeling Atlanta was on the move. He probably wanted some kind of guarantee the team was staying. I think he liked it there, but if the team moved he probably didn't want to take the risk of having to play in a city he didn't like.

Old
04-06-2010, 04:17 PM
Brodie
voted best

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Ancient Atlanta was more than just a Delta hub. It was a vibrant metropolis, the equal of Paris or New York.

Old
04-06-2010, 04:22 PM
MoreOrr
B4

The League seems to have gotten quite good at finding ways to pre-empt teams being relocated. What maneuvers could the League use to prevent such a possible relocation?

Personally, I definitely would not want to see the Thrashers relocated. This is the NHL's 2nd kick at the can in Atlanta, and if the Thrashers get moved then you can basically call Atlanta and Georgia dead to the NHL. And Atlanta is a major city to be put into such a category.

The franchise simply needs some consistent success. That said, Atlanta nevertheless is a city that's perhaps too saturated with major league sports franchises; and if that is the economic and sportsminded reality there then perhaps little can be done.

Old
04-06-2010, 05:21 PM
Jonas1235

Why on earth would anybody move a team that is in a 4 million plus metropolis, in a new building and tons of sponsorship?

The Thrashers are also tied to the Hawks. If one of those team moves, then the Phillips naming rights are revoked. They pay almost 20 million a year for naming rights and you certaintly would not get anything close to that right now.

Plus the Thrashers have abissmal tv ratings and not alot of fans, yet they only lose maybe 5-10 million a season. Once the ownership is figured out, I believe that somebody will go in(like Vinnik is doing in Tampa) and clean house and completely rebuild the franchise.

Old
04-06-2010, 05:32 PM
Melrose Munch

No.

Atlanta will have 7 million people at the end of the decade. We can't abandon what will be a top six market

The Hawks have never been popular. They should go back to St Louis.

Old
04-06-2010, 05:39 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindrosfan88 View Post
No.

Atlanta will have 7 million people at the end of the decade. We can't abandon what will be a top six market
Mexico has 9 million now...

Old
04-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Steve Passless*

Quote:
Why on earth would anybody move a team that is in a 4 million plus metropolis, in a new building and tons of sponsorship?
Quote:
they only lose maybe 5-10 million a season.
Answered yr own question.

Old
04-06-2010, 06:56 PM
ATHF
Go Jets Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindrosfan88 View Post
No.

A top six market in terms of population does not equal a top six market in terms of the league itself in terms of success off the ice. I don't understand why people seem to take this belief that a large population automatically means more hockey fans. Sure, it means more potential fans, but that's a hollow statistic if they're not able to convert potential into reality. Does a market of 7 million with 50-80,000 hockey fans become top six, or does a market of 2 million with 1-1.2 million hockey fans become top six? I think that answer speaks for itself.

Old
04-06-2010, 07:06 PM
Pinkfloyd

Atlanta is like any other market in America. Put a winner out there consistently and fans will show up. If ownership continues to be a mess and the team continues to suck then it's only a matter of time. I don't think they'll move but you never know with ownership situations anymore.

Old
04-06-2010, 08:10 PM
NYR Hockey Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyhopeful View Post
Mexico has 9 million now...
Correct! Mexico City and Monterray in 2012 Senor!!!

Old
04-06-2010, 08:22 PM
Le Golie

Before this 'Coyotes to Winnipeg' discussion flared up a week or so ago, the feeling around Winnipeg was that the Thrashers were in the cross hairs of the True North ownership group. Ilya Kovalchuk's reasons for leaving appeared to support this.

I don't base this on anything concrete or substantial but there are enough coincidences and happenings that lead me to believe that there's a plan in the works for the Thrashers and it includes Winnipeg and TNSE.

Closed Thread