HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Atlanta on the move in 2011?

Closed Thread

Old
04-06-2010, 09:04 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Hockey Fan View Post
Not really but there has been some excitement this year. The people of this city are all about Georgia football - something I couldn't care less about.
What the Thrashers need is to get more carpetbaggers like yourself to embrace the home team. I am from NJ, and I gave up the Devils when the Thrashers were born.

We have the hockey fans in Atlanta, but they just want to root for their home teams. Which is a shame.

Old
04-06-2010, 09:10 PM
NYR Hockey Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
What the Thrashers need is to get more carpetbaggers like yourself to embrace the home team. I am from NJ, and I gave up the Devils when the Thrashers were born.

We have the hockey fans in Atlanta, but they just want to root for their home teams. Which is a shame.
I root for the Thrashers too but I'll never give up my Rangers regardless of how much they suck.

Old
04-06-2010, 09:26 PM
TrentSteele

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindrosfan88 View Post
No.

Atlanta will have 7 million people at the end of the decade. We can't abandon what will be a top six market

The Hawks have never been popular. They should go back to St Louis.
These are two contradictory comments. How is it that the 7 million people aren't good enough for the Hawks (who aren't popular) yet they are good enough for the Thrashers (who aren't popular)?

Old
04-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Moobles

Quote:

It will take:

a) A winning franchise.
b) Heavy marketing, subsidized ticket prices, more exposure at major sporting events, more exposure to merchandise.
c) The key: time.

If Atlanta starts winning, makes the playoffs continually and the others follow a hockey fanbase will develop, but it will take some time. I'm not saying they need a cup (if anything, no cup keeps people coming back every year). It took 30 oddish years to turn Vancouver into a real strong NHL market. I would hazard a guess that a similar or longer timetable might be needed for a place like Atlanta to become self-sufficient.

Old
04-06-2010, 09:59 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:

This is extremely hard to do when you're dealing with adults. It's one thing to take someone from Atlanta who had been cheering for a team and turn them into a Thrashers fan... getting a 30 year old from Buffalo who grew up loving the Sabres to just give that up is virtually impossible.

It will take at least one generation to see homegrown southern hockey fandom. The only people who have grown up on Thrashers hockey are 11 and under.

Old
04-06-2010, 10:07 PM
NYR Hockey Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
This is extremely hard to do when you're dealing with adults. It's one thing to take someone from Atlanta who had been cheering for a team and turn them into a Thrashers fan... getting a 30 year old from Buffalo who grew up loving the Sabres to just give that up is virtually impossible.

It will take at least one generation to see homegrown southern hockey fandom. The only people who have grown up on Thrashers hockey are 11 and under.
The older generation remembers the Atlanta Flames which were a competitive team. They say that even then it was hard for them to embrace hockey, not growing up with the sport.

Talk of another relocation is not surprising to them.

Old
04-06-2010, 10:23 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentSteele View Post
These are two contradictory comments. How is it that the 7 million people aren't good enough for the Hawks (who aren't popular) yet they are good enough for the Thrashers (who aren't popular)?
Pro Basketball gets killed by College, and Hockey competes with nothing.

Old
04-06-2010, 11:41 PM
Jeffrey93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moobles View Post
If Atlanta starts winning, makes the playoffs continually and the others follow a hockey fanbase will develop, but it will take some time. I'm not saying they need a cup (if anything, no cup keeps people coming back every year). It took 30 oddish years to turn Vancouver into a real strong NHL market. I would hazard a guess that a similar or longer timetable might be needed for a place like Atlanta to become self-sufficient.
Good luck with that.

Old
04-07-2010, 03:00 AM
MAROONSRoad
f/k/a Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/ellio...c-at-best.html

So, regardless of the impact on the naming rights agreement for the Phillips Arena, if they really want to concentrate on NBA (and use those 40+ dates for something else) and management/ownership is still messed up (financially), the Thrashers could be on the move next spring.

(There are threads set up for a number of potential destinations. Let's keep this thread focused on Atlanta's future in Georgia, not potential destinations.)
March, 2011? It's my understanding that the current ownership group purchased the Thrashers in September 2003 prior to the the 2003/04 NHL season. If so,

2003-04 (season 1)
2004-05
2005-06
2006-07
2007-08
2008-09
2009-10 (season 7)

The Thrashers' 2010 season ended last night.

GHOST

Old
04-07-2010, 03:17 AM
Reality Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphMadHatter View Post
Do they really care about the Hawks either?
Yes..but as stated, the state of Georgia will always be first and foremost a college sports hub.

The Hawks were floundering after the departure of Dominique Wilkens(who had the misfortune of playing in the stacked Eastern Conference in the 80's with subpar teammates) and fielded some mediocre playoff to downright bad teams.

Now, they're a young team who probably still need another piece or two to make some serious noise and become a favorite to win it all.

Old
04-07-2010, 07:11 AM
jessebelanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTofMAROONSroad View Post
March, 2011? It's my understanding that the current ownership group purchased the Thrashers in September 2003 prior to the the 2003/04 NHL season. If so,

2003-04 (season 1)
2004-05
2005-06
2006-07
2007-08
2008-09
2009-10 (season 7)

The Thrashers' 2010 season ended last night.

GHOST
I suspect the key word is season

Old
04-07-2010, 07:21 AM
KevFist
is best pony

Don't think the loss of Kovalchuk will hurt the Thrashers in Atlanta in any way, shape or form. People didn't come to games because of Kovy.

Also, don't think the departure of the Flames had anything to do with attendance. The owner of the team lost his tail in a bottomed-out real estate market and had to sell personal assets.

Old
04-07-2010, 07:59 AM
NYR Hockey Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindrosfan88 View Post
Pro Basketball gets killed by College, and Hockey competes with nothing.
I disagree. Hockey is October - April/May? That means that in Atlanta, it competes with SEC and ACC Football and Basketball, the Hawks, the Falcons and NASCAR which is HUGE in Georgia.

Old
04-07-2010, 08:19 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/ellio...c-at-best.html

So, regardless of the impact on the naming rights agreement for the Phillips Arena, if they really want to concentrate on NBA (and use those 40+ dates for something else) and management/ownership is still messed up (financially), the Thrashers could be on the move next spring.

(There are threads set up for a number of potential destinations. Let's keep this thread focused on Atlanta's future in Georgia, not potential destinations.)
Is this just Friedman taking a piece of common knowledge, the NHL's standard consent agreement, and just pandering to his CBC audience on a slow news day?

Old
04-07-2010, 08:22 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphMadHatter View Post
Do they really care about the Hawks either?
The Hawks attendance has been going up every year for the last 5 or 6 years. Why? The ownership has actually put a competitive team on the floor. 13,798 in 2004 to 16,408 today.

I believe the same can/will happen with hockey. I think Washington and Pittsburgh fans would agree...

Old
04-07-2010, 08:27 AM
Telfo
THRASHERS

our problems arent the market itself the problem is just about everything else from the top right on down.

ASG doesnt want to try and find someone to replace DW, they know him and just want to let him run the team. If they did fire him they wouldnt even know where to look, we would probably end up with some NBA GM or something

Old
04-07-2010, 08:33 AM
NYR Hockey Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
The Hawks attendance has been going up every year for the last 5 or 6 years. Why? The ownership has actually put a competitive team on the floor. 13,798 in 2004 to 16,408 today.

I believe the same can/will happen with hockey. I think Washington and Pittsburgh fans would agree...
Winning certainly does cure a lot. As Gen. MacArthur said "There is no substitute for victory". However fans won't jump on every bandwagon just because you are winning. They have to love the sport. Hockey is just not popular enough here.

Old
04-07-2010, 08:45 AM
GetPucksDeep

Ownership alienated the STH base by constantly offering deeply discounted tickets all season long. The result, predictably, was that the STH base left en-masse. Gone. Poof, and attendance went from marginal to abysmal.

Perhaps they've learned their lesson. They are now offering HUGE discounts on some full season ticket locations. The lower bowl end on the attack-once side which is a $70 face ticket is available for a full season at $999. - or $23. a game. We'll see if they can rebuild the STH numbers.

There are plenty of hockey fans in the market. But they aren't going to come out for a mediocre product. As I've said here many, many times, the downtown location is a major drawback for weeknight attendance. That's not going to change. Atlanta is in many ways similar to Los Angeles, a city with a lot of sprawl and bad traffic. And Los Angeles can't even hold on to an NFL team.

Old
04-07-2010, 09:17 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
I don't think it's that hard to pull off, provided you're icing a competitive team. Here in Raleigh we have a ton of Hurricanes STHs from Buffalo. The nastiest games of our season are when we host the Sabres, and those transplants switch over to the visiting side on a one-game basis. It gets ugly (see related threads).

But I don't think that would ever have happened if not for our playoff runs. If the Canes were as bad as the Thrashers historically, there wouldn't be much difference in the results off-ice.

Quote:
This I do agree with, we are starting to turn the corner (someone who was 10 in 1999 is now 21 and able to attend some games voluntarily) but it will probably be another 10-20 years before lifelong fans start showing up in the STH numbers.

Quote:
Ownership alienated the STH base by constantly offering deeply discounted tickets all season long. The result, predictably, was that the STH base left en-masse. Gone. Poof, and attendance went from marginal to abysmal.
Scary. If Thrashers management doesn't get their heads out of the sand pronto, they might poison the well for the future.

Old
04-07-2010, 09:58 AM
Alan Jackson

Quote:
Winning certainly does cure a lot. As Gen. MacArthur said "There is no substitute for victory". However fans won't jump on every bandwagon just because you are winning. They have to love the sport. Hockey is just not popular enough here.
I agree with you. Winning helps, sure. But it doesn't solve everything. Tampa and Carolina have both won Stanley Cups.

Besides, if your market needs to be a contender every season for the fans to care, well, that's a recipe for disaster. Some teams are going to struggle - that's the nature of sports. You can't count on having a winner every season - although the NHL has tried it's best to make sure that's the case.

Old
04-07-2010, 10:18 AM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson View Post
I agree with you. Winning helps, sure. But it doesn't solve everything. Tampa and Carolina have both won Stanley Cups.

Besides, if your market needs to be a contender every season for the fans to care, well, that's a recipe for disaster. Some teams are going to struggle - that's the nature of sports. You can't count on having a winner every season - although the NHL has tried it's best to make sure that's the case.
brings pittsburgh to mind. pre mario ...horrible attendence...bankruptcy etc.
after mario...all is well.
pre sidney crosby ... same as pre mario.what happens when sid leaves?

Old
04-07-2010, 10:27 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson View Post

But, people do forget that the Thrashers have been a disaster from the start of the franchise. It's not like they've been around for a long time and has just now losing fans because of a crappy product.

Atlanta's population has doubled in the last 20 years and continues to grow. The goal of bringing a new NHL franchise here, and any city for that matter, is to capture new fans with a good product on the ice, and continue to grow the interest. Nobody expects to be competitive the first few years, but here we are 10 years into this with zero playoff wins, feuding ownership, and the same GM in place. Again, I argue that the same problems would be had in 90% of the North American markets if a new team started in their cities.

Old
04-07-2010, 10:28 AM
NYR Hockey Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianmb View Post
Sidney and Malkin aren't going anywhere. Pittsburgh will be healthy for a long time.

Old
04-07-2010, 10:48 AM
vivianmb

Quote:
Sidney and Malkin aren't going anywhere. Pittsburgh will be healthy for a long time.
i hope so.just pointing that out was all

Old
04-07-2010, 10:51 AM
hockeydadx2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianmb View Post
It was way, way more complicated than that.

Do you really think that all it took was for Crosby to show up to, and voila, 150+ straight sellouts and a new building and a season ticket waiting list of 3000 names and incredibly high hockey ratings on television (even for NON-Pens games) etc etc etc. Do you really think all that happened in the space of a few years and we started from scratch??

Closed Thread