HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Atlanta on the move in 2011?

Closed Thread

Old
04-09-2010, 08:53 AM
CC Chiefs*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
What the Thrashers need is to get more carpetbaggers like yourself to embrace the home team. I am from NJ, and I gave up the Devils when the Thrashers were born.

We have the hockey fans in Atlanta, but they just want to root for their home teams. Which is a shame.
So let me try to understand this? I'm a DRW fan and for some reason I move to Monroe La. And after 2 years there an expansion team moves in and according to you I'm should give up the DRW because a new team comes to town. With all due respect that is the goofiest thing I've heard in a very long time. Normally people don't give up their home team due to geographical locations. When I lived CT I went to many Hartford, Boston, NYR, NYI and NJD games and many weren't vs DRW, but at no time did I ever think about rooting for any team except for the DRW. IMO it's a shame someone gives up on their home team no matter where you are located. This is where the traditional vs non-traditional fans differ. I don't think I could ever find a Montreal, Toronto, DRW, Chicago or Boston fan that would ever switch teams no matter where they live.

Old
04-09-2010, 09:04 AM
NYR Hockey Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooper wings fan View Post
So let me try to understand this? I'm a DRW fan and for some reason I move to Monroe La. And after 2 years there an expansion team moves in and according to you I'm should give up the DRW because a new team comes to town. With all due respect that is the goofiest thing I've heard in a very long time. Normally people don't give up their home team due to geographical locations. When I lived CT I went to many Hartford, Boston, NYR, NYI and NJD games and many weren't vs DRW, but at no time did I ever think about rooting for any team except for the DRW. IMO it's a shame someone gives up on their home team no matter where you are located. This is where the traditional vs non-traditional fans differ. I don't think I could ever find a Montreal, Toronto, DRW, Chicago or Boston fan that would ever switch teams no matter where they live.
I lived in DC for 10 years and I'm a die hard Yankees fan. When the Nationals came to town from Montreal, I embraced them (and still do) as my National League team.

However I totally get what you are saying but I guess it would depend on the location. For example, I'm an NFL Giants fan and would never embrace the Redskins as my secondary team because of the division rivalry.

As for the Thrashers, I'd like to see them competitive so I could go to some playoff games but I'll always be a Rangers fan. I may however adopt Winnipeg as a secondary team just because of how much I've followed this relocation story and I've been suprisingly passionate in my support for Winnipeg to get their team back.

Old
04-09-2010, 09:04 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
It was an expansion franchise, I figured I was going to sign on from day 1. I guess things are much different in the age of Sat TV and NHL Season Ticket. If I wanted my fill of hockey, I had to go to the source.

I would not consider someone who grew up in the shadows of NYC a non-traditional fan, as you did. And at some point you have to decide if you are going to root for a team you rooted for as a kid, or if you are going to root for the team that is in your current town of residence.

Old
04-09-2010, 09:21 AM
CC Chiefs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
It was an expansion franchise, I figured I was going to sign on from day 1. I guess things are much different in the age of Sat TV and NHL Season Ticket. If I wanted my fill of hockey, I had to go to the source.

I would not consider someone who grew up in the shadows of NYC a non-traditional fan, as you did. And at some point you have to decide if you are going to root for a team you rooted for as a kid, or if you are going to root for the team that is in your current town of residence.
That's my point. I grew watching the DRW when were only 12 teams in the NHL and couldn't have dreamed about liking any other team. I left MI at 19 and lived in CT and while there it never ever crossed my mind to switch to another team.

I just can't rap my mind around giving up on the team I idolized as kid.

As far as NJD goes, I don't call them a traditional market even if they reside in the shadows of NYC.

Old
04-09-2010, 09:24 AM
Trebek
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
I don't think I could ever find a Montreal, Toronto, DRW, Chicago or Boston fan that would ever switch teams no matter where they live.
I have two friends, Detroit fans since birth, who recently switched over to the Avalanche as their #1 team.

And they don't know one another (although they both play on separate rec league teams of mine).

Old
04-09-2010, 09:25 AM
NYR Hockey Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post
I have two friends, Detroit fans since birth, who recently switched over to the Avalanche as their #1 team.
They should be hung!

Old
04-09-2010, 09:30 AM
CC Chiefs*

Quote:

And they don't know one another (although they both play on separate rec league teams of mine).
Hey Doc,

I just can't understand switching teams. No offense to them but that's un-heard of in the minds of many. But as it were, to each their own.

Last edited by CC Chiefs*: 04-09-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old
04-09-2010, 09:37 AM
Trebek
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Hey Doc,

I just can't understand switching teams. No offense to them but that's un-heard of in the minds of many. But as were, to each their own.
That's certainly okay - it's not for everyone.

I was a Vancouver Canucks fan when I moved to Colorado in the fall of 1995. I went to undergraduate in Bellingham (just across the border) and they were a big deal at the time.

I remained a Vancouver fan, even through the Avalanche's 1996 Cup win, until Mike Keenan came in and dismantled the team, alienated the fans, and traded away my two favorite players (McLean and Linden). I had enough at that point, and switched to the "home team".

So that's my story. More to the point of this thread, the longer a team is in town, the more likely that younger generations will grow up liking their team. And if you're wondering why I constantly support hockey in newer markets, it's because (1) I didn't have a local team growing up and missed a lot of hockey during that time, and (2) I firmly believe that it takes an entire generation for a franchise to establish roots. You don't have to agree with me, but that's how I feel.

Old
04-09-2010, 10:32 AM
Brodie
to the hall

Quote:

Are these friends from the Detroit area or are they people who picked the Wings due to family connections or just at random?

It's a lot easier to abandon a team you've followed from the other side of the continent than it is to abandon a team that represents where you're from.

Old
04-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Trebek
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Are these friends from the Detroit area or are they people who picked the Wings due to family connections or just at random?

It's a lot easier to abandon a team you've followed from the other side of the continent than it is to abandon a team that represents where you're from.
Not from Detroit, but both from Michigan (one went to UM, the other to WMU).

Old
04-09-2010, 11:36 AM
Confucius

Quote:
Hey Doc,

I just can't understand switching teams. No offense to them but that's un-heard of in the minds of many. But as were, to each their own.
It makes me wonder how many players are really Leaf fans.

Old
04-09-2010, 11:46 AM
Jeffrey93

Quote:

I question them as fans. I know of people switching who their favourite team is after many years of being torn between two teams, often caused by geographical location.

But jumping ship to root for a rival?? That's like a Leaf fan suddenly becoming a Canadiens fan. It just doesn't happen.

It's close to a Wings fan becoming a Blackhawks fan.....maybe the rivarly with Colorado really is dead.

Old
04-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Hamilton Tigers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Hockey Fan View Post
They should be hung!
Do you mean that they should be well endowed, or that they should be hanged?

Old
04-09-2010, 11:55 AM
Jeffrey93

Quote:
That's certainly okay - it's not for everyone.

I was a Vancouver Canucks fan when I moved to Colorado in the fall of 1995. I went to undergraduate in Bellingham (just across the border) and they were a big deal at the time.

I remained a Vancouver fan, even through the Avalanche's 1996 Cup win, until Mike Keenan came in and dismantled the team, alienated the fans, and traded away my two favorite players (McLean and Linden). I had enough at that point, and switched to the "home team".
So you remained a Canucks fan until the Avalanche had been in town more than one year?

I agree that it takes time to create fans....however, there should be enough fans in the area already to justify a team.....it's the next generation that grew up with the team that will carry it for decades and keep it stable long term. That doesn't excuse weak support for their first decade-plus of existence. It also doesn't give current ownership much reason to stick around. They may have created some fans that have now grown up with hockey in their city...but will they increase the numbers or simply maintain them at the current low levels?

Old
04-09-2010, 11:55 AM
Jeffrey93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton Tigers View Post
Hilarious....

Old
04-09-2010, 12:01 PM
NYR Hockey Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton Tigers View Post
Hanged, not -->

Old
04-09-2010, 12:12 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
I think you are setting up a false dichotomy here.

It is not a choice between supporting for your "home" team or your new local team.

Nothing stops a fan in Atlanta (or <insert any other expansion/relocation city for th past 40+ years>) from keeping their loyalties to the Rangers (or Wings/Hawks/Leafs/whatever), going to the two Rags games a year decked out in blue, and still rooting for the Thrashers (and attending a game or two or ...) the other 78 games of the year.

I've never figured out the mindset of some fans - they would deny themselves the joys of watching real live NHL games just because it is not "their" team.

When the Sharks started, the bulk of the fans I knew were fans of their old home towns (Wings, Hawks, Blues, Rangers, Canucks, Canadiens, Islanders, Kings, etc), many proudly wearing their opposing team jerseys 1-4 times a year, but they still followed the Sharks, went to a few (or more than a few) other Sharks games. By now (with very few exceptions) they consider themselves Sharks fans. Very few wear opposing jerseys anymore. It's not really that they support their old team that much less - it's that they have also adopted the Sharks - it's here, it's hockey, and it's entertaining dammit. For many those old vs new games are still a bit discomforting with many making the rational choice of "Who needs the win more to get into the playoffs?".

I admit that now, in the age of Center Ice and the internet, it is easier to watch and follow your old team - but that is still no excuse to ignore the team next door.

Old
04-09-2010, 12:14 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
That's my point. I grew watching the DRW when were only 12 teams in the NHL and couldn't have dreamed about liking any other team. I left MI at 19 and lived in CT and while there it never ever crossed my mind to switch to another team.

I just can't rap my mind around giving up on the team I idolized as kid.

As far as NJD goes, I don't call them a traditional market even if they reside in the shadows of NYC.
I was a DRW fan until the Predators came to Nashville. In fairness though, I am from Nashville and have spent all but one year of my life in Middle TN.

Old
04-09-2010, 12:45 PM
CC Chiefs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post

It is not a choice between supporting for your "home" team or your new local team.

Nothing stops a fan in Atlanta (or <insert any other expansion/relocation city for th past 40+ years>) from keeping their loyalties to the Rangers (or Wings/Hawks/Leafs/whatever), going to the two Rags games a year decked out in blue, and still rooting for the Thrashers (and attending a game or two or ...) the other 78 games of the year.

I've never figured out the mindset of some fans - they would deny themselves the joys of watching real live NHL games just because it is not "their" team.

When the Sharks started, the bulk of the fans I knew were fans of their old home towns (Wings, Hawks, Blues, Rangers, Canucks, Canadiens, Islanders, Kings, etc), many proudly wearing their opposing team jerseys 1-4 times a year, but they still followed the Sharks, went to a few (or more than a few) other Sharks games. By now (with very few exceptions) they consider themselves Sharks fans. Very few wear opposing jerseys anymore. It's not really that they support their old team that much less - it's that they have also adopted the Sharks - it's here, it's hockey, and it's entertaining dammit. For many those old vs new games are still a bit discomforting with many making the rational choice of "Who needs the win more to get into the playoffs?".

I admit that now, in the age of Center Ice and the internet, it is easier to watch and follow your old team - but that is still no excuse to ignore the team next door.
Maybe I'm crazy but I remember listening to the DRW on the radio on 760 WJR before I got Directv in 1995. Even after I got the Center Ice Package I still had to listen to some games on the radio because back then not all of the games were on the dish like they are today.

My point is I could have easily jumped to the NYR and watched every game on MSG. But couldn't and wouldn't do it.

I may have to move to La in the near future for work. Should I jump to the Saints?

Again maybe it's me but I can't give up on the team I've cheered for all of my life.

Someone said in an earlier post that the next generation will have to become the TRUE Thrasher fans. But IMO the hearts of the people in Atlanta are with other teams.

Old
04-09-2010, 01:12 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Again maybe it's me but I can't give up on the team I've cheered for all of my life.

Someone said in an earlier post that the next generation will have to become the TRUE Thrasher fans. But IMO the hearts of the people in Atlanta are with other teams.
No one is asking for you (or anyone) to give up the team you've cheered for all your life.

Again you are keeping up that false dichotomy.

Supporting a local team as a #2 != abandoning your "home" team.

And I dispute the notion that "the hearts of the people in Atlanta are with other teams" and will always be.

That certainly was NOT the case I've seen in San Jose (with few exceptions). One big difference - the Sharks have had success and given reason for people to follow and be excited by them; the Thrashers, sadly not.

Old
04-09-2010, 01:19 PM
CC Chiefs*

Quote:
No one is asking for you (or anyone) to give up the team you've cheered for all your life.

Again you are keeping up that false dichotomy.

Supporting a local team as a #2 != abandoning your "home" team.

And I dispute the notion that "the hearts of the people in Atlanta are with other teams" and will always be.

That certainly was NOT the case I've seen in San Jose (with few exceptions). One big difference - the Sharks have had success and given reason for people to follow and be excited by them; the Thrashers, sadly not.
The post from btn stated: I am from NJ, and I gave up the Devils when the Thrashers were born.

Old
04-09-2010, 03:29 PM
krudmonk

Supporting the local team is no different than shopping at the corner store instead of Walmart. Yooper likes Walmart. That's his choice.

Old
04-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Harpoon Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Supporting the local team is no different than shopping at the corner store instead of Walmart. Yooper likes Walmart. That's his choice.
No, not really. Maybe I am not following your analogy, totally...

I'll use myself as an example. Only difference is that his team still exists.

I moved to CT in late 1983 and became a Whalers fan, shortly after. The next year, we were season ticket holders... and that continued until the team left, in April of 1997. After they left, hockey went dark for a while.

Fast forward to now, and the Whalers are still my team and I wear some of my Whalers gear (both old and new - thanks to the NHL) proudly still. But I also made the decision, this year to give Nashville a chance. I had enough of watching an occasional hockey game, and still liked the game enough to pull for one of the local teams. To me, hockey is a great in person sport - so it was a fairly easy choice. Their market is somewhat close (like 4-5hrs) which means that I might be able to go to 5 games a year, and maybe watch another 25-30 on tv. That's a fairly good start to getting back into watching the NHL.

I am looking forward to pulling for Nashville, but I doubt that I will be as big of a fan as I was in Hartford. There are many of us (Whalers fans) that do the same thing. We are fans of other teams, but we are Whalers fans first.

Old
04-09-2010, 05:22 PM
zombiekopitor

vCash: 50
Quote:

Ha yup thats exactly what happened to me, I moved to the Bay Area for the 03-04 season as a diehard Avs fan, I was even more excited to watch Kariya and Selanne together but the Shaks won me over very quickly, I think alot of it had to do with Shark Byte and Randy and Drew as they really help draw in a connection with fans/players, plus we had no center ice to watch the Avs. By the time they played eachother in the playoffs I was rooting for the Sharks (my hockey team would have killed me anyway if I hadnt) But I switched when I was about 13 , so about 7 years of being an Avs fan (I can remember Drurys and Hedjuks rookie race clear as day) and now 6 years of being a Sharks fan I know I will never stop loving this team, I hope one day I get to watch them like I did the 01 Avs

Old
04-09-2010, 09:03 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't mind the "Predwing" fans that relocated to Nashville with the car plants and love NHL hockey. Most of them are Preds fans unless they play the Preds.

The ones I have problems with are the ones that live here and won't buy a ticket to the Predators games because they're not supporting any team but the DRW, then they dog Nashville for not selling out....

Closed Thread