HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

proposals Carolina / Montreal

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2004, 12:43 PM
merlin

vCash: 500
proposals Carolina / Montreal

How about Garon, Hainsey, Hossa and Montreal's 1st for Carolina's 1st and O'Neil?

Carolina has nobody in nets that is close to Garon (considering age), no valid prospect at the blue line, and since they are rebuilding....Hossa makes sence. I traded the 1st picks to kind of even things out.

Also, there was a rumour that the habs and the canes had a deal that included O'Neil, before he got injured. But that was just a rumour.

Hainsey and MTL 1st for Carolina's 1st?

Thoughts?

Old
05-04-2004, 01:10 PM
SabresRule

Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
Weekes is tenfold better than garon and im sure storr will be better this season. dont like it

Old
05-04-2004, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
How about Garon, Hainsey, Hossa and Montreal's 1st for Carolina's 1st and O'Neil?

Carolina has nobody in nets that is close to Garon (considering age), no valid prospect at the blue line, and since they are rebuilding....Hossa makes sence. I traded the 1st picks to kind of even things out.

Also, there was a rumour that the habs and the canes had a deal that included O'Neil, before he got injured. But that was just a rumour.

Thoughts?
I think it's a fair deal but you have to take out either Hossa or Hainsey...I had also heard rumors of a Montreal/Carolina deal that fell through because of the O'Neill injury who knows?

Garon, Hainsey and Montreal's 1st pick in 2004
for
O'Neill and Carolina's 1st pick in 2004

Old
05-04-2004, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresRule
Weekes is tenfold better than garon and im sure storr will be better this season. dont like it
Maybe because of experience, but Garon has a much higher upside than Weekes, Garon is one of the best backups in the league, and IMO a better goaltender than Theodore...

Old
05-04-2004, 01:25 PM
The Kitner Boy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin

Thoughts?

Terrible. Weekes is a solid goalie and he was one of the few bright spots on this team last year. From what I understand Irbe has accepted a role as a back up and will be on the bench to start next season. They also have Cam Ward in the minors who is supposed to be the "goalie of the future" for the 'canes.

O’Neil was injured for most of last season and that was not made public until well after the trade deadline. I would hope he gets another shot in Raleigh before being sent off.

Old
05-04-2004, 01:31 PM
Safir*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
Maybe because of experience, but Garon has a much higher upside than Weekes, Garon is one of the best backups in the league, and IMO a better goaltender than Theodore...
Garon is only 3 years younger, than Weekes. If Garon is better than Theodore, why isn't the starting job, his?

Carolina got an exellent goaltending prospect in Cam Ward.

Old
05-04-2004, 01:38 PM
Jeffrey

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomACE
Garon is only 3 years younger, than Weekes. If Garon is better than Theodore, why isn't the starting job, his?

because theodore = $$ (marketing) and reputation!
anyway this deal wont happen ..
but garon has a higher ceiling than theodore !

Old
05-04-2004, 02:41 PM
membleypeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryoptix
because theodore = $$ (marketing) and reputation!
anyway this deal wont happen ..
but garon has a higher ceiling than theodore !
When will Montreal fans quit overstating the assets of their players. Garon is waiver wire material. He has already cleared waivers with no takers. You may think that every GM in the league made a huge mistake in not taking this superstar (for nothing) however, the fact is that Garon has little talent or upside. I am glad to see that he has improved his game so as to be a backup at the NHL level, and not a career minor leaguer.

Old
05-04-2004, 03:11 PM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
If you take our Carolina's 1st it's fair but Montreal shouldn't get an upgrade on 1sts.

Old
05-04-2004, 04:10 PM
Jeffrey

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by membleypeg
When will Montreal fans quit overstating the assets of their players. Garon is waiver wire material. He has already cleared waivers with no takers. You may think that every GM in the league made a huge mistake in not taking this superstar (for nothing) however, the fact is that Garon has little talent or upside. I am glad to see that he has improved his game so as to be a backup at the NHL level, and not a career minor leaguer.
fact:
New York wanted Garon for Kovalev straight up !
montreal didn't want to trade garon so they offered back Balej and 2nd rounc pick!
so actually Garon value(for the habs) > Balej,2nd round pick
that give you an idea on his value around the league IMO !

Old
05-04-2004, 04:58 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
I think it's a fair deal but you have to take out either Hossa or Hainsey...I had also heard rumors of a Montreal/Carolina deal that fell through because of the O'Neill injury who knows?

Garon, Hainsey and Montreal's 1st pick in 2004
for
O'Neill and Carolina's 1st pick in 2004
carolina needs its pick guys, the most they would do is swap first rounders. the canes want higgins as well. how about aaron ward, oneill and carolinas first for higgins, hainsey and montreals first?

Old
05-04-2004, 05:03 PM
membleypeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryoptix
fact:
New York wanted Garon for Kovalev straight up !
montreal didn't want to trade garon so they offered back Balej and 2nd rounc pick!
so actually Garon value(for the habs) > Balej,2nd round pick
that give you an idea on his value around the league IMO !
Sorry if I don't take your comment at face value however, show me a direct quote of Gainey stating " The rangers wanted Garon for Kovalev straight up." and don't lose sleep trying to find it.

Do you think that all GM's outside of Montreal are poor judges of talent. Why would a waiver wire talent command the value of Balej and a second round pick. Face it, Garon could have been chosen by any team in the league for the waiver wire fee only. I am glad that at least you have downgraded him (in your mind) from having more talent than Hart trophy winner Jose Theodore.

Old
05-04-2004, 05:55 PM
H3ro

Quote:
Sorry if I don't take your comment at face value however, show me a direct quote of Gainey stating " The rangers wanted Garon for Kovalev straight up." and don't lose sleep trying to find it.

Do you think that all GM's outside of Montreal are poor judges of talent. Why would a waiver wire talent command the value of Balej and a second round pick. Face it, Garon could have been chosen by any team in the league for the waiver wire fee only. I am glad that at least you have downgraded him (in your mind) from having more talent than Hart trophy winner Jose Theodore.
You're totally wrong. Yes, Bob Gainey said the Rangers wanted Garon for Kovalev, but he refused.

Old
05-04-2004, 05:58 PM
H3ro

Quote:
One of the funniest post I've read in a while. Love that part "Garon has little talent or upside. I am glad to see that he has improved his game so as to be a backup at the NHL level, and not a career minor leaguer."

Old
05-04-2004, 08:11 PM
Darcy Wakaluk

I remember Montreal put Garon between the pipes when they played Detroit at home earlier this season, and guess what, they won. I can also remember Garon making something like 46 odd saves against LA and stealing a victory for the Habs. This guy is for real and I believe he could be a starter except he's got a Hart and Vezina winner standing between him and the number 1 spot on the depth chart.

Likewise, I gotta say I'm also glad he's upped his game enough to become a "back-up at the NHL level".

Old
05-05-2004, 11:01 AM
merlin

Just as a reminder, when Garon was put on waivers, he had very little exposure as an NHL goalie, little games played. No GM would have taken a chance if it meant getting rid of a goalie in place (if they picked up Garon, they would have to send another goalie in the minors/waivers and risk getting stuck with 3 goalies). The timing of when they put him on waivers was perfect. I bet you that if he was put on waiver today, he would get picked up in a hurry.

As for anybody that thinks Garon isn't no 1 material, you are wrong. Any goalie that performed the way he did as a back-up should be given a chance. He is NHL no 1 ready, case and point.

Next thing up is the fact that the habs have the luxury to trade a goalie, either Theo or Garon. Maybe Theo will go as he has more value. Only BG knows. I'd be very surprised if both were at training camp...if there is one. Garon can do the job Theo did.

Old
05-05-2004, 11:41 AM

Quote:

That's got to be the stupidest question i've been asked on this board....obviously the reason Garon isin't starting yet is because Theodore is there, he is after all a former Hart and Vezina winner...

Old
05-05-2004, 01:29 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Hainsey, MTLs 1st

for

O'Neill, CRLs 3rd

Garon is a good goalie, probably one of the better backups in the league. That said, Carolina already has a goaltending logjam in their system with Weekes, Irbe, Storr (probably won't be re-signed), Zepp, Boisclair, and Petruk of their signed goalies. They split Lowell with the Calgary Flames which meens that's yet another goalie fighting for icetime. Add in the fact that Cam Ward will likely be starting in the AHL next year and Manzato will likely be in the ECHL next year and you have a small problem... too many goalies with too few spots to fill. I don't know why Carolina would want Garon when they already have Weekes and Irbe on the pro team (both of whom have proven to be solid at the NHL level).

Last edited by DaveG: 05-05-2004 at 01:36 PM. Reason: needed expanation.
Old
05-05-2004, 06:17 PM
Bruinster*

Send a message via ICQ to Bruinster*
Quote:
That's got to be the stupidest question i've been asked on this board....obviously the reason Garon isin't starting yet is because Theodore is there, he is after all a former Hart and Vezina winner...

I think you post the most 2 contradiction post on this board, In your first post you said Garon was better than Theodore in you second you laugh at TomACE by saying "Garon can't be #1 because Theodore is there, he is after all a former Hart and Vezina winner" .

Is he better or not ? hard to find your real feeling on this one

Old
05-06-2004, 07:10 PM
Chfan
HFB Partner

Quote:

maybe this season .. he will cuz in montreal a lot of people wants to trade theodore

Old
05-06-2004, 09:42 PM
toughstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen
carolina needs its pick guys, the most they would do is swap first rounders. the canes want higgins as well. how about aaron ward, oneill and carolinas first for higgins, hainsey and montreals first?

Higgins is not going anywhere. He is a big part of the HABS' future.

Old
05-06-2004, 09:52 PM
toughstuff

I remember those rumours at the trade deadline about the HABS being interested in O'Neil. The name circulating in exchange was Zednick.

I like Zednick but if the return is good I might be tempted.

Here is my suggestion:

Montreal O'Neil, Eric Cole, Canes' 2nd

Carolina Mtl 1st, Hainsey, Plekaneck, Ribeiro

Old
05-07-2004, 01:26 AM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughstuff
I remember those rumours at the trade deadline about the HABS being interested in O'Neil. The name circulating in exchange was Zednick.

I like Zednick but if the return is good I might be tempted.

Here is my suggestion:

Montreal O'Neil, Eric Cole, Canes' 2nd

Carolina Mtl 1st, Hainsey, Plekaneck, Ribeiro
wow.....oneill AND cole huh? why dont you just take the whole franchise. not that those 2 alone are the franchise.....only the best 2 forwards. why would the canes do this? they are looking to get younger, not field an ahl team. cole is only 25, so he is part of any youth movement. i think the canes want higgins, not that theyll get him - i just think thats what they want. the zednik part of the old rumour came from montreal, not carolina. im not sure hes what they want. rutherford said he was looking for guys in their first year of "pro" for oneill. that to me means higgins and maybe hainsey.

Old
05-07-2004, 09:18 PM
toughstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen
wow.....oneill AND cole huh? why dont you just take the whole franchise. not that those 2 alone are the franchise.....only the best 2 forwards. why would the canes do this? they are looking to get younger, not field an ahl team. cole is only 25, so he is part of any youth movement. i think the canes want higgins, not that theyll get him - i just think thats what they want. the zednik part of the old rumour came from montreal, not carolina. im not sure hes what they want. rutherford said he was looking for guys in their first year of "pro" for oneill. that to me means higgins and maybe hainsey.
I do realize O'Neil and Cole is a significant chunk of the club. But the Canes won't be contenders until they may be past there prime.

The package which is offered is still quite attractive.

Ribiero A proven talent, still very young with plenty of still untapped potential

Hainsey A change of environment might be just what is required. Lots of unttapped potential

Plekaneck He is having yet another great year. Unquestionnable work ethic and dedication. I would like to keep him but the HABS have to get bigger. The Canes are already big. They can afford to get players on the samllishside.

HABS' 1st (18th) Fist round picks are always attractive.

Old
05-08-2004, 01:10 PM
Legend06

Quote:
Most ignorant post I've ever read.....

Closed Thread