Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Sweden
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Daniel Alfredsson

Old
04-15-2010, 02:55 PM
svartgul
Hata Löven

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to svartgul Send a message via MSN to svartgul Send a message via Skype™ to svartgul
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
He's almost singlehandedly changed minds around what "Europeans" are capable of in the NHL around these parts. At the beginning of his career, those stereotypes still persisted, and much more widely.
Börje Salming>>>>Daniel Alfredsson

svartgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 06:07 PM
Jared Cowen 2010

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil
He's almost singlehandedly changed minds around what "Europeans" are capable of in the NHL around these parts. At the beginning of his career, those stereotypes still persisted, and much more widely.
That because Alfie plays like a Canadian.

Jared Cowen 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 06:18 PM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Cowen 2010 View Post
That because Alfie plays like a Canadian.
Which kind?! I heard the English ones can barely skate and hit like sissies, and had it not been for Quebec, they would never have seen a decent goalie in their life. I don't know what that means, but it doesn't sound great.

Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 06:42 PM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkageNoKeri View Post
Apples and Organges the way I see it.

Both were great players for their time, and Salming obviously opened the flood gates as he proved that the Euros could succeed with their style of play in the NHL as well as the next guy, allowing teams in the NHL to go from having 6-7 really talented players on the roster to having a stacked roster of talent if they so desired.

Alfredsson has squashed a stereotype, at least in and around Ottawa, of a certain player playing a certain way depending on origin. Alfie's combination of grit and skill allows him to adapt and be great at any style of hockey that you throw at him.

Old
04-16-2010, 05:25 AM
dr-nix
Beware of the Bunny!

Ok so this has already been said in this thread but here goes.

Okay, so NHL plays their games in the middle of the night Swedish time. That means the general Swedish public (the same public you want to look at Alfredsson in a higher regard) is asleep and not up all night watching hockey.

So regardless of what the guy does in Ottawa most Swedes don't care because it's not a league they watch. However the same people will probably turn on the TV and watch the national team play. So what Alfredsson produces there is what they see, nothing more.

With that in mind Alfredsson is regarded as a good player but not in the same league as Sundin, Forsberg and so on. Fair or not but that is how it works.

But honestly though i doubt he cares. If he did, Alfredsson would move back to Sweden and play a few seasons there before ending his career.

dr-nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 05:38 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr-nix View Post
Ok so this has already been said in this thread but here goes.

Okay, so NHL plays their games in the middle of the night Swedish time. That means the general Swedish public (the same public you want to look at Alfredsson in a higher regard) is asleep and not up all night watching hockey.

So regardless of what the guy does in Ottawa most Swedes don't care because it's not a league they watch. However the same people will probably turn on the TV and watch the national team play. So what Alfredsson produces there is what they see, nothing more.

With that in mind Alfredsson is regarded as a good player but not in the same league as Sundin, Forsberg and so on. Fair or not but that is how it works.

But honestly though i doubt he cares. If he did, Alfredsson would move back to Sweden and play a few seasons there before ending his career.
I really can't see alfredson moving back to wseden full time even when he retires.They make ottawa there home do alot of work in the community henric lives in ottawa as well.As for not beeing in the same league as mats i think that could be up for debate.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 05:49 AM
dr-nix
Beware of the Bunny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
I really can't see alfredson moving back to wseden full time even when he retires.They make ottawa there home do alot of work in the community henric lives in ottawa as well.As for not beeing in the same league as mats i think that could be up for debate.
Then he won't ever be close to as big as he seems to be in Ottawa. If you think thats the way he thinks then Canadians should stop asking Swedes to look at him with higher regard. If he doesn't care about them then why should Swedes care about him? (talking about the general public not the small portion of Swedes that do follow the NHL).

Old
04-16-2010, 06:32 AM
Zam Boni

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
well, I have no doubts they really enjoy living i Ottawa, but how many Swedes stay in NA after their career is over?
Kjell Samuelsson and Ulf Samuelsson are the only ones I can think of.
And I think there is a natural explanation to this; while you have made a lot of good friends in NA, most of your family, your blood, will still be i Sweden.

So, for swedes, unless you are a defenceman named Samuelsson you dont stick around in NA after you have retired.

Zam Boni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 07:12 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmontreal View Post
well, I have no doubts they really enjoy living i Ottawa, but how many Swedes stay in NA after their career is over?
Kjell Samuelsson and Ulf Samuelsson are the only ones I can think of.
And I think there is a natural explanation to this; while you have made a lot of good friends in NA, most of your family, your blood, will still be i Sweden.

So, for swedes, unless you are a defenceman named Samuelsson you dont stick around in NA after you have retired.
Most aslo go home durring the off season alfredson satys in ottawa most of the years i think he goes back to sweden a couple weeks thats it.I would not count on alfredson going hom full time he more then likely will take a managment level job with ottawa once he is done.Even take henric he did play for the ottawa 67s in the last 90's tried to move back to sweden but it did not last as he likes ottawa to much he to this day makes ottawa his full time home.Very few players no matter the country are as connected to a city as much as alfredson is to ottawa.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 11:20 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkageNoKeri View Post
Yeah, we don't really care about Salming in Ottawa.

Even so, he was still considered a "chicken-**** Swede" by some.

You'd be amazed how recently the prevailing opinion on Europeans changed, and it wasn't because of Salming, as great as he was.

Around here, Ottawa was being faulted by the Toronto-media of having a team of "Euros" that couldn't compete in the post-season.

Alfredsson's run in 2007 changed a lot of that.

Anyway, I get why Swedes don't care, I'm just telling you that there is a place where he is the most highly valued sports icon.

Is Sundin or Salming bigger than Sittler or Keon or Clark or Gilmour in Toronto? Is Naslund bigger than Linden in Vancouver? Is Loob bigger than Iginla or Niewendyk or MacInnis or Fleury?

I don't think so.

Last edited by NyQuil: 04-16-2010 at 12:10 PM.
NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 01:19 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

vCash: 50
I can't really add much more than what has already been said, the general public in Sweden simply doesn't care much for the NHL. Even a great like Lidström was more or less ignored by the Swedish public for most of his career and only really started getting real recognition after scoring that goal against Finland in the 2006 Olympics.

Besides the already mentioned national team argument, the players who get a lot of media attention, like Forsberg, Zetterberg and Lundqvist were all considered to be the best players playing in Sweden before they left for the NHL, that was not the case with Alfredsson.

The fact that Alfredsson is from Gothenburg may have played a part in his low profile in Sweden, the supposedly national media in this country doesn't really pay much attention to Western Sweden or people associated with it.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 01:33 PM
dr-nix
Beware of the Bunny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
The fact that Alfredsson is from Gothenburg may have played a part in his low profile in Sweden, the supposedly national media in this country doesn't really pay much attention to Western Sweden or people associated with it.
They don't much attention to anything outside of Stockholm.

Old
04-16-2010, 02:56 PM
bottomofthefoodchain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr-nix View Post
They don't much attention to anything outside of Stockholm.
And that's the way it should be. Time for Stockholm to go Quebec-style

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 04:04 PM
Snauen*

"Yeah, we don't really care about Salming in Ottawa.

Even so, he was still considered a "chicken-**** Swede" by some."
Ottawa.. has to be one of the most anonymous Capital-cities in the world, whitout the NHL and Alfredsson not many Swedes would have heard about Ottawa. And calling Salming a 'chicken' shows that people from Ottawa are not worthy of any attention anyways, go hide yourself again.

Snauen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 02:49 AM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snauen View Post
"Yeah, we don't really care about Salming in Ottawa.

Even so, he was still considered a "chicken-**** Swede" by some."
Ottawa.. has to be one of the most anonymous Capital-cities in the world, whitout the NHL and Alfredsson not many Swedes would have heard about Ottawa. And calling Salming a 'chicken' shows that people from Ottawa are not worthy of any attention anyways, go hide yourself again.
Snauen, you are killing the messenger. NyQuil isn't trolling. He is just making a matter of fact point, whether we like it or not. Salming isn't/wasn't thought of as a chicken ****, but he didn't change people's attitude and washed out the stereotpye in people's minds the way Alfie has.

Now it could be argued that BJ didn't have the same support from his country men back in his days as Daniel has enjoyed in the last decade, but Daniel is clearly the guy who has delivered the best of all Swedes in terms of categories of appreciation among Canadian fans - a hard working, low maintenance, classy guy with mad skills, who frequently delivers in crunch time and plays with a physical edge, as if every game could be his last, year in and year out. Börje was considered a great player and a nice guy, but not the leader people in the franchise turned to for motivation and support.

Old
04-17-2010, 03:27 AM
Snauen*

Don't think Alfredsson would have lasted many years in the NHL if he had come over at the time Salming did. He may have nearly as good psyche and selfconfidence as Salming had but his lack of size and having a Swedish sounding name (sson) on the sweater would have attracted too many goons to last very long at that time. The general attitude was to beat the **** out of the Euro's who tried to come over to 'steal our jobs' from the American NHL-ers .

Salming took alot of beating, how many stiches did he have in his face again, 2000? Alfredssons style of play would have resulted in even more bruisings and I don't think he would have lasted very long, thoose where tougher times for the few brave Swedish 'chickens'.

Last edited by Snauen*: 04-17-2010 at 03:50 AM.
Snauen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 09:01 AM
svartgul
Hata Löven

Send a message via ICQ to svartgul Send a message via MSN to svartgul Send a message via Skype™ to svartgul
No Swede in the NHL ever had it tougher and proved himself and his country more than Börje Salming. End of discussion. Alfie can't change history.

svartgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 01:49 PM
johnny_rudeboy

031 and not 08, that´s the reason.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 02:50 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
031 and not 08, that´s the reason.
What about 0660?

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 11:25 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snauen View Post
Don't think Alfredsson would have lasted many years in the NHL if he had come over at the time Salming did. He may have nearly as good psyche and selfconfidence as Salming had but his lack of size and having a Swedish sounding name (sson) on the sweater would have attracted too many goons to last very long at that time. The general attitude was to beat the **** out of the Euro's who tried to come over to 'steal our jobs' from the American NHL-ers .

Salming took alot of beating, how many stiches did he have in his face again, 2000? Alfredssons style of play would have resulted in even more bruisings and I don't think he would have lasted very long, thoose where tougher times for the few brave Swedish 'chickens'.
That's great, and while Salming was a trail-blazer, you still had a lot of people believing that Europeans (and Swedes) were wimps and couldn't handle the playoffs well into the 90's and maybe even beyond. Frequently cited was the fact that no European had won a Conn Smythe trophy up until Lidstrom managed to do it. Alfie was also the first European to Captain a team to the Stanley Cup Finals, with Lidstrom the first to win the Cup as Captain.

I'm not sure why you're being so hostile.

My favorite player is a Swede.

If you'd bother to read my post, I said "AROUND THESE PARTS" i.e. around Ottawa.

Ottawa had decent regular season teams but didn't win the Cup at a time when Alfie, Yashin, Bonk, Hossa, Havlat, Arvedsson, Dackell were key elements of the team.

People said that they had to be "more Canadian" to win.

That mentality in Ottawa has changed largely because of the immense popularity of Alfredsson and his competitive character that he showed in the last 5 years or so.

You're like violently agreeing with me and it's hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribban
ow it could be argued that BJ didn't have the same support from his country men back in his days as Daniel has enjoyed in the last decade, but Daniel is clearly the guy who has delivered the best of all Swedes in terms of categories of appreciation among Canadian fans - a hard working, low maintenance, classy guy with mad skills, who frequently delivers in crunch time and plays with a physical edge, as if every game could be his last, year in and year out. Börje was considered a great player and a nice guy, but not the leader people in the franchise turned to for motivation and support.
Well, to be fair, I mean Ottawa fans.

When it comes to Canadian fans as a whole, I think Forsberg changed a lot of minds because he played with such a physical presence.

Last edited by NyQuil: 04-20-2010 at 11:31 AM.
NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 06:36 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
What about 0660?
Is that Ottawa?

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 09:14 PM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
What about 0660?
Where the hell is 0660?

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 10:26 PM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM View Post
Where the hell is 0660?
Eagle Shield Bay, I believe.

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 12:23 AM
Zam Boni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
Eagle Shield Bay, I believe.

Hehe.
It does sound like a hockey town actually.

Zam Boni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 08:36 AM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmontreal View Post
Hehe.
It does sound like a hockey town actually.
The Eagle Shield Bay Pulp, sounds just like a CHL team.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote