HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Sami Kapanen hit - I have video download

Closed Thread

Old
05-05-2004, 10:21 AM
LucaBrasi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
Whats really disgusting is the reaction of the Leaf fans when Sammi was struggling to get to his feet. Those pukes were laughing and cheering. After the hit, of course they are going to get excited. You can see when he falls after trying to get up for the first time, he gets a rise out of a bunch of them. Sammi falls to the ice, and theyre back on their feet jumping around cheering.
That stuff happens in every arena. People will always cheer the big hits, clean or not.

Think back to Bertuzzi clobbering Moore ... at first the crowd was totally into it. They didn't get quiet until they noticed that Moore wasn't moving.

You act like you've never cheered a big hit that rung the other guys' bell.

Old
05-05-2004, 10:25 AM
MojoJojo

I've cheered many a big hit. Of course the fans will cheer the big hit, clean or dirty. What I dont cheer, however is when a player is hurt. That was my point, ok they were excited by the hit, but then were back on their feet pounding the boards when they saw Sammi couldnt get to his feet.

Old
05-05-2004, 10:26 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
He left his feet and used his elbow. Thats not a legal check. No wonder people call Leaf fans total homers.
That hit was legal.

I'm not a Tucker or Leaf fan. Tucker's not guilty of doing anything
outside the rules. I didn't like the way he held his stick up and outward, which made it appear that his elbows were up, but hits like that happen, especially when you consider he had little time to react to the streaking Kapanen.

Either way, I hope Kapanen recovers, he's always been a good team player.

Old
05-05-2004, 10:27 AM
LucaBrasi

Quote:
Kinda like a last F.U. before hitting the golf course from a dirty player .
The game wasn't over when that hit was delivered. I don't know which game you were watching, but at that point the Leafs were all over the Flyers. It should have been a charging call, but clearly the refs were trying to call as little as possible.

Quote:
With the Leafs style of play, you are never going to win a cup. You try to injure your way through the rounds, and either beat up the team that eliminates you, or you stagger from round to round losing players as your opponents seek retribution.
How can you try to beat up the team that eliminates you???

You don't know that they've eliminated you until after you beat on them ... so until then, they are the team that you are trying to eliminate. Clearly no team enters the playoffs with the intent of not winning, but simply keeping other teams from winning.

I'm sorry if your team would like to win the cup via the easiest possible route ... but real winners would rather go to battle for their glory than take the easy road.

... oh .. and before this series started everyone was going on about how the Flyers are the bigger and more physical team ... and then when the Leafs decide to play physical all of a sudden it's unfair???

Old
05-05-2004, 10:29 AM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Tucker did not leave his feet and he did not deliver an elbow, I'm watching the video, and not seeing it, in fact I see his skate still on the ice as he delivers the check, his arms are above Kapanan's head, body, legs, you name it, Tucker nailed Sami with a clean yet devestating check.

Moving on I gained a ton of respect for Kapanan after that, he dug down deep and despite not knowing where the hell he was after that he still made a great effort to find the Bench, other players would have just lied down and writhed in pain but Sami got up and fought his way to the Bench

Kapanan

Old
05-05-2004, 10:35 AM
Dr Love

Clean? Tucker had a distinct upward motion, and at least one foot left the ice. He also lead with his arm/shoulder directly at Kapanen's head. It was "cleaner" than the hit on Malakhov, but to call it clean is erronous. Whatever though, Tucker is out of the playoffs, Kapenen isn't.

Old
05-05-2004, 10:45 AM
Papadice

Send a message via MSN to Papadice
I downloaded that copy of the hit and I've spend the past 5 minutes going through it frame by frame... That was a clean hit... NO QUESTIONS ASKED!!! Is Tucker a dirty player? HELL YEAH!!! Was that a dirty hit? Not a chance...

Break the hit down frame by frame and your claim that he was a foot off the ice is BS... When the two of them made contact his feet were still touching the ground... He only left his feet after contact was made which is normal for just about every high impact hit... Tucker does have a tendancy to leave his feet when he checks but in this case he did not... I'm looking at the freeze frame right now of when contact was made and Tucker's skates are on the ice...

As for your claim about using his elbows, again, break down the video.... His elbows were tucked in tight against his body... it was a shoulder check, hitting him hard with the front of his shoulder... sure his elbow hit him, but without putting his arm behind his back how can that be avoided... That's not elbowing... His elbow was not extended at all for the hit... It was tucked into his body...

My only question when I saw the hit last night was whether or not it was a charge because it was so fast, but now that I've looked at that video I see that he turned and only took a couple of steps before hitting him... So no charge...

I can't see how this can be a penalty at all and the NHL will break it down as I have and realize there was nothing wrong with it... Was it a VERY hard hit? Yes it was...

Either way, it was hard to see Kapanen struggling to get up and I wish him all the best... After the game he looked to be more solid on his feet... Hopefully he will recover in time for the next series cuz he was a great player for you guys...

Good luck Flyers... I have to give you guys credit... You earned the series win... Congratulations...

Old
05-05-2004, 10:46 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
Clean? Tucker had a distinct upward motion, and at least one foot left the ice. He also lead with his arm/shoulder directly at Kapanen's head. It was "cleaner" than the hit on Malakhov, but to call it clean is erronous. Whatever though, Tucker is out of the playoffs, Kapenen isn't.

Tucker may have taken his feet off the ice, not by alot mind you, but thats what happens when a player is skating with speed and he transfers his weight so that he can make the hit. Especially along the boards, where Tucker had the option of wedging himself between Kapanen & the boards. This happens all the time, but usually the impact is not as severe, Kapanen was flying though so it made the situation worse. The only way i see a player in that position not leaving his feet, not leading with his upper body is if the player in Tucker's position was Chara's size.

Old
05-05-2004, 10:48 AM
Papadice

Send a message via MSN to Papadice
Quote:
Upward motion?????? SO WHAT? There's nothing in the rules saying you can't be in an upward motion when you hit a guy! Just that you can't leave your feet before the hit... Tucker didn't do that (THIS TIME).... as for leading with his arm/shoulder at Kapanen's head, he lead with his shoulder, arm tucked in (as it's supposed to be)... it was not a direct shot at the head, it was a high paced impact... I'm sorry but when it happens that fast it's not exactly easy to aim for a certain part of the body... You are just trying to make solid impact...

as i said before, I hope Kapanen recovers quickly... good luck guys...

Old
05-05-2004, 10:52 AM
nordique

vCash:
Quote:
Whats really disgusting is the reaction of the Leaf fans when Sammi was struggling to get to his feet. Those pukes were laughing and cheering. After the hit, of course they are going to get excited. You can see when he falls after trying to get up for the first time, he gets a rise out of a bunch of them. Sammi falls to the ice, and theyre back on their feet jumping around cheering.
Give me a break, if someone like Roenick or Brashear or Primeau had just KO'd someone on the Leafs, be it Domi, Tucker, Mogilny or whoever, the reaction woulda been identical in Philadelphia.

Gotta give it up to Kapanen, though. He's a tough little bugger.

Old
05-05-2004, 10:57 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgallant
Upward motion?????? SO WHAT? There's nothing in the rules saying you can't be in an upward motion when you hit a guy! Just that you can't leave your feet before the hit... Tucker didn't do that (THIS TIME).... as for leading with his arm/shoulder at Kapanen's head, he lead with his shoulder, arm tucked in (as it's supposed to be)... it was not a direct shot at the head, it was a high paced impact... I'm sorry but when it happens that fast it's not exactly easy to aim for a certain part of the body... You are just trying to make solid impact...

as i said before, I hope Kapanen recovers quickly... good luck guys...
He went high instead of going for the body. If you want to defend him for doing that, be my guest. Honestly, I don't really care, because the Flyers won, and that is all that matters.

Old
05-05-2004, 11:16 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Kudos to Kappy....just became one of my favorite players. He knew he was gonna get crushed and hung in to make the play. I really didn't see anything terribly wrong with the hit...not for Tucker especially. Think it was Kappy's little frame and the speed of the whole thing.

Old
05-05-2004, 11:24 AM
MacDaddy TLC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Tucker does play with heart, but he is a cheapshot artist. He leaves his feet on 80% of his body checks.

The reason I wouldn't want him to be a Flyer, is because if he was wearing orange & black half the stuff he gets away with now would be called, and we'd be shorthanded far too often.
If Tucker was as cheap as everyone makes him out to be, he wouldn't have as much respect around the League as he does, including the full respect of the flyers inspirational leader Jeremy Roenick.

I also find it hypocritical of a team that was the biggest disgrace to the game the 70s Flyers, although I suspect too many of you were too young and have limited knowledge of the game, to be calling other teams cheap shot artists and what not. The biggest cheapshotting coward EVER to play the game is the General Manager of the flyers. Running from the lip and hiding behind goons is how he made his career. He hasn't changed much since retiring.

Old
05-05-2004, 11:32 AM
Chandler55

Quote:
Oh like Flyers fans wouldnt do that. Get real.

Old
05-05-2004, 11:34 AM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy Version 1.3
If Tucker was as cheap as everyone makes him out to be, he wouldn't have as much respect around the League as he does, including the full respect of the flyers inspirational leader Jeremy Roenick.

I also find it hypocritical of a team that was the biggest disgrace to the game the 70s Flyers, although I suspect too many of you were too young and have limited knowledge of the game, to be calling other teams cheap shot artists and what not. The biggest cheapshotting coward EVER to play the game is the General Manager of the flyers. Running from the lip and hiding behind goons is how he made his career. He hasn't changed much since retiring.
For the final time we are not in the 70's anymore...sheesh...Dirty this Bobby Clarke that...none of this is relevent.

Tucker is a good physicall play and is dirty from time to time...I am not saying every hit he makes is Dirty but there have been several occasions.

Old
05-05-2004, 11:34 AM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:
LOL Philly fans would have done the same. Dont act all innocent

Old
05-05-2004, 11:35 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I give up, you guys are too biased to reason with.

Old
05-05-2004, 11:36 AM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Tucker does play with heart, but he is a cheapshot artist. He leaves his feet on 80% of his body checks.

The reason I wouldn't want him to be a Flyer, is because if he was wearing orange & black half the stuff he gets away with now would be called, and we'd be shorthanded far too often.
he has to, he is 5'7 lol

But seriosuly, he does leave his feet a lot. But so do a lot of players. I dont even think refs call that anymore. The reason he got a charging call in game 4 was because he skated from the redline to the back of the net to hit Malakhov.

Old
05-05-2004, 11:36 AM
Coburnfan05

Quote:

That's one opinion, why don't you ask Mike Peca what he thinks of him.

Old
05-05-2004, 11:38 AM
Coburnfan05

I wouldn't want to be Tuckers caddy, if he misses a put he might leap in the air and cross check him with the putter.

Old
05-05-2004, 11:39 AM
MacDaddy TLC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GagsIsDaMan
That's one opinion, why don't you ask Mike Peca what he thinks of him.
Mike Peca, Darcy Tucker, Jeremy Roenick----3 peas in a pod. If Peca had Watched the play instead of admiring his pass, he wouldn't have been hurt. Not a bright boy.

Old
05-05-2004, 11:39 AM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:
He went high instead of going for the body. If you want to defend him for doing that, be my guest. Honestly, I don't really care, because the Flyers won, and that is all that matters.
He sandwiched Kapenen against the boards, on the dasher board.

Its not like he threw 2 elbows at Kapenen's head.

Old
05-05-2004, 11:42 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by La-La-Laprise
He sandwiched Kapenen against the boards, on the dasher board.

Its not like he threw 2 elbows at Kapenen's head.
He aimed for above his shoulders, not his torso, that much is indisputable. Tucker has a rep and it's things like this that give him that rep. I through with this argument though, because it doesn't matter.

Old
05-05-2004, 11:42 AM
adurn

Finally.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tucker.jpg‎ (49.2 KB, 187 views)

Old
05-05-2004, 11:43 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:

The biggest cheap shot artist? no, there's been worse than Clarke. I can't say much, I was cheap shot artist also...wasn't it Quinn who ended Orr's career? Again, Idon't think it was that bad. The Malakhov hit on the other hand...

Closed Thread