HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sami Kapanen hit - I have video download

Closed Thread

Old
05-05-2004, 11:45 AM
MacDaddy TLC*

vCash: 500
Quinn hit Orr with a CLEAN hit. His career lasted many years afterwards. Nice try though.

Old
05-05-2004, 11:46 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy Version 1.3
Mike Peca, Darcy Tucker, Jeremy Roenick----3 peas in a pod. If Peca had Watched the play instead of admiring his pass, he wouldn't have been hurt. Not a bright boy.

That's absolutely true...one thing Tucker makes you do is be aware at all times. I'd take him on the Flyers in a second...Pretty sure Clarkie would too.

Old
05-05-2004, 11:47 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy Version 1.3
Quinn hit Orr with a CLEAN hit. His career lasted many years afterwards. Nice try though.

I was asking a question...although you're the first person I've ever seen say that. Thanks.

Old
05-05-2004, 11:50 AM
CNote
Get 'er done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club
Kudos to Kappy....just became one of my favorite players. He knew he was gonna get crushed and hung in to make the play. I really didn't see anything terribly wrong with the hit...not for Tucker especially. Think it was Kappy's little frame and the speed of the whole thing.
i totally agree. get well soon Sami

Old
05-05-2004, 11:56 AM
MacDaddy TLC*

Quote:
I was asking a question...although you're the first person I've ever seen say that. Thanks.
it was a clean hit, but a different day. Quinn caught Orr when there was no instigator rule and the league was governed by vigilante justice. You didn't hit the star players without retribution. Star players were protected by their teammates, and most could take care of themselves (Orr was a very underrated scrapper)

You could see the winds of change in the 80s. Bill McCreary jr knocked Wayne Gretzky silly with a stand up check at the Leafs blueline. Only time Gretz really got clocked. I don't recall Semenko settling the score though. McCreary I don't remember seeing play another NHL game after the hit.

unfortunately the instigator rule has changed the game for the worse. You can abuse a team's star player, get jumped, turtle and end up on the power play. There is no accountability.

Last edited by MacDaddy TLC*: 05-05-2004 at 09:30 PM.
Old
05-05-2004, 11:56 AM
Jackson Ranger

Hell, sign me up for the Kapanen fan club. I thought the guy was a full fledged team guy by going back and playing defense until I saw what he did last night. Awesome. A play like that propels teams to bigger things and I could see that play being a rallying cry for the Flyers.

From a Ranger fan, kudos to Sami and to the Flyers.

Old
05-05-2004, 12:02 PM
GoRyanMalone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
Yeah... I mean, how dare he body check Sami Kapanen!?

Old
05-05-2004, 12:06 PM
Timmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GagsIsDaMan
That's one opinion, why don't you ask Mike Peca what he thinks of him.
Mike Peca plays exactly the same game as Tucker. Plays hard, on the edge and every now and again, crosses the line. So if Mike Peca were to voice his opinion in any other way it would be very hypocritical of him.

I'm glad that you Flyer fans are getting sick of the Bobby Clarke rebuttal comments. It should however make you guys think a little before you jump out constantly criticizing how a player plays the game today. From that perspective, calling out the Bobby Clarke thing is relavent.

It's a matter of ........who does he play for? If it's not your team then you will criticize, if it is your team, then you will defend. That hasn't changed since the 70's.

Anyway, Only my 2 cents.

Old
05-05-2004, 12:07 PM
primeaugurl25

Send a message via MSN to primeaugurl25 Send a message via Yahoo to primeaugurl25
I guess Tucker has only one job to do every season.... Last year, it did it to JR when he gave him his concussion and this year, it did to Sami...

Both times result in the same thing....

The leafs are playing golf again....

Old
05-05-2004, 12:09 PM
Timmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
He aimed for above his shoulders, not his torso, that much is indisputable. Tucker has a rep and it's things like this that give him that rep. I through with this argument though, because it doesn't matter.
That discription translates to Scott Stevens being one of the "Dirtiest" to ever play the game then. I don't buy it personally.

Old
05-05-2004, 12:13 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer
Mike Peca plays exactly the same game as Tucker. Plays hard, on the edge and every now and again, crosses the line. So if Mike Peca were to voice his opinion in any other way it would be very hypocritical of him.
I disagree there, Peca doesn't have the rep, and I can't remember Peca ending anyone's season with a dirty hit (not saying that he hasn't done that, I just don't remember him ever doing so).

Quote:
I'm glad that you Flyer fans are getting sick of the Bobby Clarke rebuttal comments. It should however make you guys think a little before you jump out constantly criticizing how a player plays the game today. From that perspective, calling out the Bobby Clarke thing is relavent.
Something that happened in the 70s is not relevant in any way to what happened last night, no matter what the perspective. Yes, Clarke was a dirty player. He was also a Hall Of Fame player, and as a player, we love him here. If Tucker played here, more often than not we'd defend him. But he'd certainly get his share of anger from the fans, just look at the things we say about Brashear here, it's no different.

Quote:
It's a matter of ........who does he play for? If it's not your team then you will criticize, if it is your team, then you will defend. That hasn't changed since the 70's.
Absolutely. Always has been, always will.

Old
05-05-2004, 12:16 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer
That discription translates to Scott Stevens being one of the "Dirtiest" to ever play the game then. I don't buy it personally.
You've gone way out of context. Stevens has a rep, but he also has a rep for being a Hall of Fame caliber defenseman. I don't think he's one of the dirtiest to ever play the game, not at all. He's tough as nails and makes the occasional dirty play, but Steven's game relies much much more than just being a physical pest, which is what Tucker's game is. It's not comparable, and it's nothing that I even hinted at implying.

Old
05-05-2004, 12:29 PM
capn89*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
You've gone way out of context. Stevens has a rep, but he also has a rep for being a Hall of Fame caliber defenseman. I don't think he's one of the dirtiest to ever play the game, not at all. He's tough as nails and makes the occasional dirty play, but Steven's game relies much much more than just being a physical pest, which is what Tucker's game is. It's not comparable, and it's nothing that I even hinted at implying.
and Stevens doesn't lay on the ice pretending to be dead...

Old
05-05-2004, 12:59 PM
psycho_dad

Tucker both left his feet and used his elbow. The video clearly shows how he is in mid air when they collide, that still picture just stops all the discussion about it.

People seem to be saying "thats not so dirty for Tucker"....sorry, but he has the same rules as everyone else.

Old
05-05-2004, 01:16 PM
Kenadyan

As the Eagles (the rock band, not the team) said,

"GET OVER IT!!!!" Jeez.

Old
05-05-2004, 01:59 PM
paxtang

That was a great hit, and a thing to watch. If I wasn't a Flyers fan, I would have been cheering my ass off, so I can't go off and say I hate Tucker. I'm actually a Tucker fan.

But that was an obvious elbow, call a spade a spade. I don't care if he doesn't get a penalty on it, I'm not going to cry about the hit. There was an elbow in there.

Old
05-05-2004, 04:04 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenadyan

"GET OVER IT!!!!" Jeez.

Hey Kapannen got up and is going to the next round we're over it....why are you still discussing hockey? :lol

Old
05-05-2004, 04:20 PM
capn89*

Quote:
Hey Kapannen got up and is going to the next round we're over it....why are you still discussing hockey? :lol
He needs to take the stanley cup out of the Leafs avatar as well... that won't be happening

Old
05-05-2004, 04:22 PM
King Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
Yeah... I mean, how dare he body check Sami Kapanen!?
Look at the tape! He clearly left his feet and his elbows were up. There needs to be suspensions handed out to Antropov and Trucker.

Old
05-05-2004, 04:26 PM
Dave Carlson

Listen, if you guys don't want to admit he used his elbows, or at least left his feet, then thats fine, you can just call us whiners. The video clearly shows him leaving both his feet before the hit. Maybe you have a differnt angle? The angle that i saw (frame by frame) i couldnt tell exactly if he elbowed him, but it looked like it. If you can provide one that shows he clearly didnt elbow him I'm sure people would change their minds.
But if you still don't agree then I guess everyone just has to let it go. It was a big hit that I probably would've cheered for. The fact of the matter remains though that it was a dirty hit it my opinion, and Kapanen was at least shaken up, completely justifying any concern by philadelphia fans.

Old
05-05-2004, 04:31 PM
capn89*

If it was a hit in Philly, by a Flyer... I would have cheered the initial hit... but then when I see a guy lost on the ice, not even knowing where he is, that's when I'd shut up and be a bit concerned... Last year when Tucker was "laid out" I was concerned, because I don't like seeing guys injured, but when it turned out he was faking it, now I actually DO hope someone eventually runs him and DOES seriously injure him, because you deserve it when you do **** like that. And on top of it, it's hard to tell if something is clean or not, real time... but I wouldn't be sitting here with obvious evidence in a video that shows it was pretty cheap.

Old
05-05-2004, 04:41 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
Quote:

"GET OVER IT!!!!" Jeez.
yeah, we'll get over the dirty hit but, when you guy's get over Tucker being a rotten a$$ cheap shot artist.

Old
05-05-2004, 04:44 PM
WFHLeafsCommish29

Send a message via ICQ to WFHLeafsCommish29
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
Whats really disgusting is the reaction of the Leaf fans when Sammi was struggling to get to his feet. Those pukes were laughing and cheering. After the hit, of course they are going to get excited. You can see when he falls after trying to get up for the first time, he gets a rise out of a bunch of them. Sammi falls to the ice, and theyre back on their feet jumping around cheering.
It is obviously a horrible sight, but every team's fans cheer like that when a player gets crushed. If you fault Leafs' fans, you also have to fault every other fan because it happens all over the league

Old
05-05-2004, 04:53 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:

"GET OVER IT!!!!" Jeez.

Old
05-05-2004, 05:51 PM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
I always had respect for Sami Kapanen, but that takes the cake. Kapanen is the very definition of team player, the type of guy that everyone likes and is respected by friends and foe alike. I hope that he fully recovers before the Tampa series begins, it would be a shame if he were unable to continue to play.

Also, Tucker should be suspended. He left his feet on the check and laid in with the forearm. Kapanen got caught with his head down, which was his mistake, but that doesn't change that the hit itself was illegal.

Closed Thread