HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Who would we rather play: San Jose or Chicago?

View Poll Results: Who would you rather see the Avs face in round 1?
Chicago Blackhawks 21 22.11%
San Jose Sharks 74 77.89%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-07-2010, 07:09 PM
CapnCrunch

vCash: 500
I waited until we clinched a playoff spot before I voted...seemed a bit premature to do otherwise IMO.

Anyway, I'd rather have San Jose. Chicago's deeper than San Jose. If we can mitigate their first line, we have a chance. Also, all 3 of the games we played against Chicago thus far was before Hossa came back from shoulder surgery...I don't think it would be as even with him in the lineup. There's also San Jose's chocking aspect...

On a personal note, I wanna see some redemption against Rob Blake for the cheap shot on Mueller!

CapnCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:58 PM
AyVee

I wonder...
If avs play Chicago...and win...

And SJS win against their team.... we'd play BOTH!
I win!

However, San Jose has the best first line ever x_x they scare me.

AyVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 04:49 AM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

Not here to troll or anything

You guys are a little bit crazy wishing for a San Jose matchup.

You're not likely going to see a Patty-Thornton-Heatley line 5on5. So, the notion that shutting that line down and you'll be ok is a bit naive since they've broke that line up (Pre Thornton injury) for that very reason to see what other combos could work and they've found success there too.
Nabby actually has the ability to steal games.
They're bigger then your team, BUT ALSO have some speedy forwards in the mix.
The top faceoff team in the league.

Your team would fare better to beat Chicago and heres why.
Their goaltending sucks, and they have a rookie between the pipes.
They still make bad pinches that even slow teams take advantage of and score on.
They basically have 2 plays that actually only work well against slower teams and/or get suckered into being physical with them down low on the boards. The high cycle and the trailer rush, and sometimes the the defenseman slot sneak.

Overall, they're not that terribly hard everyone makes them out to be. As long as your team plays faster and shoot before the lane closes, it should be easier to deal with them as opposed to teams the likes of San Jose or Phoenix who mastered the art of working along the boards making scoring situations out of basically nothing.

RainbowDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 05:49 AM
NWAvs

I have wanted a first round Hawks match up since before the olympics. I think the goalie situation will hurt them a bit. Either way Andy might match well and catch fire which would do wonders for our confidence. The Sharks are who I want now for the possible rivalry. Either way i'm not "confident" but I think our boys can go out and put up a fight and maybe even upset.

NWAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 07:45 AM
Mant*

On one hand, I really want the Avs to stick it to Quenneville, and I think they have a decent chance against the Blackhawks anyway. On the other hand, the win against the Sharks in 01-02 was one of the most entertaining playoff series I've ever seen, and a repeat of that would be great, plus the Sharks are playoff chokers...

I voted Blackhawks, and hopefully we'll get to take it to the Sharks later in the playoffs.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 09:18 AM
NWAvsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalRemonster View Post

You're not likely going to see a Patty-Thornton-Heatley line 5on5. So, the notion that shutting that line down and you'll be ok is a bit naive since they've broke that line up (Pre Thornton injury) for that very reason to see what other combos could work and they've found success there too.

They still make bad pinches that even slow teams take advantage of and score on.
They basically have 2 plays that actually only work well against slower teams and/or get suckered into being physical with them down low on the boards. The high cycle and the trailer rush, and sometimes the the defenseman slot sneak.

Overall, they're not that terribly hard everyone makes them out to be. As long as your team plays faster and shoot before the lane closes, it should be easier to deal with them as opposed to teams the likes of San Jose or Phoenix who mastered the art of working along the boards making scoring situations out of basically nothing.
I don't think anyone thinks either team is an easy or even probably win. When you look at the makeup of SJ though you have to come away liking the possibility of an upset. If SJ plays their game correctly the Avs have no chance and will do well to win 2 games. If SJ plays a little shaky the series is up in the air. If the same team from previous playoffs shows up it is tee time. I think a lot of people are not going to believe in SJ until they prove it. The skill is there they simply need to execute.

NWAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 09:20 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 50
I wouldn't mind SJ and on the first PP we get, Mueller to wind up and blast a shot at Blake's head.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 12:09 PM
54toscore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbbyfan20 View Post
I agree with this. I"m just here to talk friendly hockey with you guys. Not looking to trash talk or anything. If Anderson plays like hiller like last year. We are done for. Sharks can't play with speed, they can burned everytime. Especially aganist Chicago.

And with the poster that said the Sharks are more inexperienced. I disagree. Nabokov has been in the playoffs since 2000 execpt for two years, Joe Thornton- playoffs for a hella long time, thats why he's supposedly called the tin man, Marleau- same with Nabokov, and the list goes on and on. The only real player that hasn't had that much playoff experience has to be Nichol, Ortymeyer, Mitchell. But I would think you guys would want to play the Sharks, since they have " choked" the last few years.
Speaking of the Sharks during playoff time...this was brilliant:

I don't like how we match up against either team, and I think San Jose's size in particular would cause fits for the Avs, those recent regular season games notwithstanding.

54toscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
Quote:

I agree with this.

Power forwards are the worst matchup the avs could have. We have been eaten up by them time after time this year. I don't wanna play a team full of big guys. Our defense is NOT designed to stop them. Chicago or embarrassment this PO.

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Any of the other seven teams would be favorite against the Avs. So there is no reason to get all worked up about who we will meet. If the Avs offensive game fires on all cylinders and Andy returns to ninja form, who knows.

I think Avs would have less chance against Wings/Preds than any other team.

Playoffs is the post-coital snuggle this season. We already got laid, so whatever.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 01:19 PM
NWAvsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Any of the other seven teams would be favorite against the Avs. So there is no reason to get all worked up about who we will meet. If the Avs offensive game fires on all cylinders and Andy returns to ninja form, who knows.

I think Avs would have less chance against Wings/Preds than any other team.

Playoffs is the post-coital snuggle this season. We already got laid, so whatever.
Epic. /Thread

NWAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 01:21 PM
Sgarbossy

Andy was overplayed this season. Especially for one who hadn't ever started more than 30 odd games in a single season before. I almost want to think it was on purpose as well.
Follow me here.

Goalers are no doubt a superstitious and, generally, an emotionally fragile bunch. What I mean to say is that it is easy for players to lose confidence in themselves and become their own worst enemies. In our limited years without Patty, every goalie had to try to step into a very large set of shoes. Intimidating, no? What better way to prime a goalie with franchise potential than to put his feet to the fire immediately? This year, due to Sacco's decisions to start Andy over and over, Craig has gotten his name on a good number of those franchise records previously held by our one and only.

If that isn't an impetus to build confidence and entrench a goalie with vast potential for our club, i don't know what is.

Does anyone else think it may have been part of the grander scheme, or am I wearing my foil hat too tightly today?

Sgarbossy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 02:41 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailbait View Post
I agree with this.

Power forwards are the worst matchup the avs could have. We have been eaten up by them time after time this year. I don't wanna play a team full of big guys. Our defense is NOT designed to stop them. Chicago or embarrassment this PO.
Cycling forwards have eaten up the Avs as well. Basically any forward who goes to the front of the net this season has been a bad matchup for the Avs D. No one ties up the man or the stick.

Anyways I'd rather see the Sharks.

Blake Boyle Vlasic Murray vs Keith Seabrook Hjalmarsson Johnsson

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 03:53 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Just some quick stats:

Record vs. Sharks 2-2

Goals for: 14 (3.5 p/g)
Goals against: 13 (3.25 p/g)
Shots for: 131 (32.75 p/g)
Shots against: 140 (35 p/g)

Record vs. Blackhawks 1-2

Goals for: 9 (3 p/g)
Goals against: 10 (3.33 p/g)
Shots for: 68 (22.66 p/g)
Shots against: 97 (32.33 p/g)

Too bad we play the Blackhawks tomorrow and it won't count, or else we'd have a pretty good sample.

Last edited by Bonzai12: 04-08-2010 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Included per game averages
Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott76 View Post
Just some quick stats:

Record vs. Sharks 2-2

Goals for: 14
Goals against: 13
Shots for: 131
Shots against: 140

Record vs. Blackhawks 1-2

Goals for: 9
Goals against: 10
Shots for: 68
Shots against: 97

Too bad we play the Blackhawks tomorrow and it won't count, or else we'd have a pretty good sample.
Wow, that shots for by the Avs against the Sharks, is nearly double what it is against the Hawks. The shots against is a lot higher too though. I'd rather take the higher shot total with this team though. I'm more worried about this young team not being able to score in the playoffs, than them playing well defensively. They haven't really played terribly well defensively all year, so I don't expect that to change too much.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Pure

vCash: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
Cycling forwards have eaten up the Avs as well. Basically any forward who goes to the front of the net this season has been a bad matchup for the Avs D. No one ties up the man or the stick.

Anyways I'd rather see the Sharks.

Blake Boyle Vlasic Murray vs Keith Seabrook Hjalmarsson Johnsson
I agree, those players really give andy alot of trouble. Especially if they also have big shots from the point. Andy is one of the best goalies in the league in stopping the first shot, I'd rather face a team of snipers than a team of ryan smyths/holmstroms. That said, both teams have net presence in players like toews, bouwer vs. clowe, heatley etc, so really no easy games for Anderson or our D. Johnsson is also out for the Hawks while Campbell could make a return. I still think its funnier if we beat the Sharks though.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 05:53 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

I still will hold to the idea that I want the Avs to play Chicago. Living here I catch a few games and they're actually pretty inconsistent and the Avalanche have always played exceptional against them.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 06:02 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
Quote:

Not really Kane and Toews gurantee the hawks winning atleast one round and the Sharks are chokers. Its a no brainer for me. I'm not saying the avs will win against the Sharks but they have better chance of pulling the upset over them then the hawks.

Duchene2MacKinnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 07:02 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Wow, that shots for by the Avs against the Sharks, is nearly double what it is against the Hawks. The shots against is a lot higher too though. I'd rather take the higher shot total with this team though. I'm more worried about this young team not being able to score in the playoffs, than them playing well defensively. They haven't really played terribly well defensively all year, so I don't expect that to change too much.
I edited my post - we've played the Sharks 4 times and the Hawks only 3 times (the 4th will come tomorrow). That's the reason for the discrepancies.

It's pretty obvious though that the Chicago D actually is able to shut down our offense from those numbers. Which I found pretty surprising. I'm still sticking to my choice of the Hawks though...I think either 2/3 or 3/3 ended in shootouts despite the shot differential.

Over-analyzing I know, but it's fun

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 07:27 PM
DADDY AVALANCHE

Chicago, Because i think the Avs could take advantage of their goal tending. I would rather face the Sharks in the 2nd round then the first.

DADDY AVALANCHE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 08:23 PM
Landeslog

I don't think we'll beat either of them so I hope the Hawks just because those games have been more exciting.
If we're going to lose it should at least be awesome to watch

Landeslog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 07:39 AM
jaisen73

I'd prefer San Jose but, like a lot of people, I don't see the Avs doing much more than giving either team a good, solid fight. I'd be surprised if they got swept, not terribly shocked if they only went 5 games, but am optimistic they could push the Sharks or the Blackhawks to 6 games or more.

The levels of expectation for both San Jose and Chicago are so high and the expectations for Colorado so low that I do think they might be able to grab a mental edge if they could take Game 1 of either series. Nothing less than a trip to the Cup finals will be good enough for the Sharks or Hawks where as Colorado is expected to exit early.

My hope: They become the 2010 version of either the 2003 Wild or, even better, the 2003 Ducks.

jaisen73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 10:12 AM
CapnCrunch

As far the Av's having a better chance to beat the Hawks over the Sharks or visa-versa, I think it's a push. I think each team is about as difficult to beat, just for different reasons.

I voted for the Sharks because of a greater chance to develop a rivalry due to Blake's hit on Mueller, which could turn into this team's version of Lemieux's hit on Draper as far as igniting a rivalry...or there's a possibility that it won't, but I don't remember any of the Hawks taking runs at any of our players, either.

Old
04-09-2010, 10:25 AM
54toscore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCrunch View Post
As far the Av's having a better chance to beat the Hawks over the Sharks or visa-versa, I think it's a push. I think each team is about as difficult to beat, just for different reasons.

I voted for the Sharks because of a greater chance to develop a rivalry due to Blake's hit on Mueller, which could turn into this team's version of Lemieux's hit on Draper as far as igniting a rivalry...or there's a possibility that it won't, but I don't remember any of the Hawks taking runs at any of our players, either.
If there's going to be an extended rivalry, there'd probably be a greater chance to have one against Chicago, who look like they'll be a top team in the West for the next several years. Who knows how many more years San Jose will keep its current squad together.

And if you're expecting that relatively innocent push by Blake on Mueller (Tuomo Ruutu's hit on Tucker and J.F. Jacques's on Wilson were both much worse) to be a springboard to a rivalry, well, I don't know what to say. Lemieux's hit on Draper and Blake's subtle shove of Mueller are not in the same league at all. And, as you might remember, the Draper hit came after Kozlov's dirty play on Foote and Lemieux retaliatory rabbit punch on Kozlov earlier in the series.

54toscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 10:53 AM
CapnCrunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyguy2007 View Post
If there's going to be an extended rivalry, there'd probably be a greater chance to have one against Chicago, who look like they'll be a top team in the West for the next several years. Who knows how many more years San Jose will keep its current squad together.

And if you're expecting that relatively innocent push by Blake on Mueller (Tuomo Ruutu's hit on Tucker and J.F. Jacques's on Wilson were both much worse) to be a springboard to a rivalry, well, I don't know what to say. Lemieux's hit on Draper and Blake's subtle shove of Mueller are not in the same league at all. And, as you might remember, the Draper hit came after Kozlov's dirty play on Foote and Lemieux retaliatory rabbit punch on Kozlov earlier in the series.
Yeah, point taken on both counts. I didn't mean to suggest Blake's hit was in the same ballpark as Lemieux's (I know it wasn't), but with it happening a few games away from the p-o's, that may start the ball rolling on something in the series (should we play them). You're right, though, the Sharks have a LOT of players going UFA at the end of this season.

I guess the Av's have as much a chance to develop a rivalry with the Hawks as any other team in the West. I miss having a rivalry, I guess I was looking for any hit to incite another one (regardless of how small the hit was)...lol.