HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

University of Wisconsin-Green Bay changing font to save ink (and money) when printing

Old
04-06-2010, 11:10 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

vCash: 500
University of Wisconsin-Green Bay changing font to save ink (and money) when printing

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100406/...y_saving_fonts

Quote:
MILWAUKEE Here's a way you might save $20 this year: Change the font in the documents you print.

Because different fonts require different amounts of ink to print, you could be buying new printer cartridges less often if you wrote in, say, Century Gothic rather than Arial. Schools and businesses could save thousands of dollars with font changes.

Data on the subject from Printer.com, a Dutch company that evaluates printer attributes, persuaded the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay to make a switch. Diane Blohowiak, coordinator of information-technology user support, has asked faculty and staff to use Century Gothic for all printed documents. The school also plans to change its e-mail system so it uses Century Gothic.

"The feedback we've gotten so far has been positive," she said. "Century Gothic is very readable."

The school of 6,500 students spends about $100,000 per year on ink and toner cartridges. Although students and staff can change the default font to something more ink-intensive, Blohowiak said the university expects to save $5,000 to $10,000 per year with the font switch.
Yet the article also states that because Century Gothic is a wider font, it may take more paper to print something out -- i.e. something that took one page with Arial may take two with CG. So some of those savings may go right back into paper.

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 10:47 AM
The Hegemony Consul
Serial Ruminator

Interesting...our "official font" here (that we use on all e-mails, printed correspondence, business cards, etc.) is CG 12-pt, and I was mildly curious as to why...and now I know!

The Hegemony Consul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:25 AM
SilverSeven

There are also fonts out now with tiny little holes in them. The eye cant see them, but they save quite a bit of ink. The writing does look a little grayer, but still. The vast majority of office documents dont need to look top notch anyway.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 12:50 PM
Ghostbuster

I don't know what other Universitys do, but the U of A charges 12 cents per page. The best is when you realize you made a error on a like 10 page excel table and have to reprint it. You're welcome to use whatever font/sizing, but theres no color.

Ghostbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 05:01 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100406/...y_saving_fonts

Yet the article also states that because Century Gothic is a wider font, it may take more paper to print something out -- i.e. something that took one page with Arial may take two with CG. So some of those savings may go right back into paper.
I'd think if the campus is making an across-the-board decision on ink, they should also just change the margin size to compensate for the difference.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote