HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alfie in Hockey Hall of Fame?

Old
04-07-2010, 07:54 AM
Karl Eriksson

vCash: 500
Alfie in Hockey Hall of Fame?

I was reading the "Metro" on the bus this morning, and besides the Jesse James nazi sex tape story, there was an interesting piece on whether Alfe should be in the Hall. The author dismissed the idea pretty quickly but did concede that Alfie would be his choice for starting RW on the best ever all-swedish team. The author says that Forsberg and Lindstrom are shoe-ins, and thinks that Sundin will make it even though he felt that Matts wasn't an obvious choice.

So my questions are, assuming a couple more good years of consistent play from Alfie:

Should Alfie get in?
Will Alfie get in?

Karl Eriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 08:01 AM
RedWhiteBlackGold

vCash: 73
A cup would put him in the HHOF. Right now it's hard to say. If he can continue being a PPG player for 3-5 more years then it's quite possible.

Since they base it somewhat on what he did in his career, and not necessarily his statistics it's going to be close. He did accomplish a lot of things, just not the main goal of the NHL which is winning that silver cup.

Last edited by RedWhiteBlackGold: 04-07-2010 at 08:08 AM.
RedWhiteBlackGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 08:08 AM
TheBandWagon

I think God definitely deserves to get in the hall. That being said I'm not entirely sure he will

This guy has carried our team on his back for years and has helped make this franchise what it is today. People have questioned his leadership for years, but even stevey Y was questioned

TheBandWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 08:30 AM
The Fuhr*

Unless he wins a cup, hart or conn myth he does not get in.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 08:34 AM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

Well it's not just the NHL Hall of fame. It's the Hockey Hall of Fame. Alfie does have a gold medal and has been one of the greatest captain ever.

mat_sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 08:42 AM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat_sens View Post
Well it's not just the NHL Hall of fame. It's the Hockey Hall of Fame. Alfie does have a gold medal and has been one of the greatest captain ever.
It's pretty biased though....

Ghost in the Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 08:53 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

he's borderline at the moment.

I dont think a cup is necessary, but he needs another playoff performance like '07. Must prove that that year wasnt an abberation, because honestly his other playoff performances have been nothing special.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 09:09 AM
Northern Neighbour

I don't think gets in at this moment. His career is very similar to that of Steve Larmer, who had a very good career and even won a Stanley Cup and a Canada Cup. However, Larmer has not yet been inducted into the HHOF, and his numbers will likely be better than Alfredsson's by the time Alfredsson retires.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 09:16 AM
arglebargle

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
I don't think gets in at this moment. His career is very similar to that of Steve Larmer, who had a very good career and even won a Stanley Cup and a Canada Cup. However, Larmer has not yet been inducted into the HHOF, and his numbers will likely be better than Alfredsson's by the time Alfredsson retires.
Larmer also played in the 80's when goals were a lot easier to score. Have you seen how bad the goalies were back then? There was also a lot more hooking and holding in the 90's as well as teams focusing mostly on defensive hockey, all of which led to reduced goal scoring.

Basically what I'm saying is that points scored in the mid-late 90's are worth more than points scored in the 80's and post-lockout, so the Steve Larmer comparison doesn't really work.

arglebargle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Afro Thunder*

Not according to the TSN Power Rankings.

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 10:34 AM
MatthewT

all depends what other players are due to go in at his time,

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 10:39 AM
TheCode

There's NO question... Alfie is HOF calibre and should be there!

TheCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 10:48 AM
L'Aveuglette
Restin' my groin.

Yes

Maybe

L'Aveuglette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:03 AM
Minister of Offence

He deserves to get in but still may not. He's never had the following he deserves.

A cup may be the addition to his resume he needs, whether thats right or wrong. The Hall isnt dying to put this underrated Swede on its wall.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:04 AM
Cruizer3000

In the Sun article yesterday didn't it say Alfie was wearing 3 different jerseys? One of his family, one for the team and one for the HHoF? Doesn't that imply that he will be in there?

Cruizer3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:07 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
Unless he wins a cup, hart or conn myth he does not get in.
But if he wasn't a Sen he wouldn't need those things, right? If he plays 280 more games, playoffs included, and puts up 250 points- a VERY realistic total for him- there is no reason why he will need any individual awards. Just because he was never on the absolute best team, or had the absolute best campaign, doesn't mean he's not Hall worthy. If he gets, say 210 points in 240 regular season games, that gives him 1200, 45th all time. Add on 120 points (projected) in 140 games in the playoffs, and those numbers at least give him consideration.

For him to be guaranteed, sure he might need one of those three things, but its totally not right to say he absolutely needs one.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:17 AM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
But if he wasn't a Sen he wouldn't need those things, right? If he plays 280 more games, playoffs included, and puts up 250 points- a VERY realistic total for him- there is no reason why he will need any individual awards. Just because he was never on the absolute best team, or had the absolute best campaign, doesn't mean he's not Hall worthy. If he gets, say 210 points in 240 regular season games, that gives him 1200, 45th all time. Add on 120 points (projected) in 140 games in the playoffs, and those numbers at least give him consideration.

For him to be guaranteed, sure he might need one of those three things, but its totally not right to say he absolutely needs one.
I don't think Sundin deserves to be in the HOF either (he may get there only because he was a Leaf and maybe his international resume)

If Dino Ciccarelli can't get in then Alfie has no chance
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=992

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:20 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruizer3000 View Post
In the Sun article yesterday didn't it say Alfie was wearing 3 different jerseys? One of his family, one for the team and one for the HHoF? Doesn't that imply that he will be in there?
They said for the league, didn't specify HHoF. Even if it does go there, it could just be a nice way of honouring the Sens 1st 1000 game player, and not a guarantee that he will be in.

OT:Have we drafted anyone else who's played 1000?

Old
04-07-2010, 11:21 AM
Wham City

I think he needs another long cup run and all the accolades and prizes that can come with that.

If he can get close to 1200 points I think that will make him hard to ignore. Would be a pretty impressive feat in this era taking into account Alfie played his first game in the NHL when he was nearly 23 while missing a whole season in 2004-05.

Over the last decade Alfie is the third leading point getter in the league, throw in playoff points and he's second. Solid defensively at the same time, solid SHG goal totals and legit career plus/minus at +156.

Internationally he's performed fantastically for Sweden which should help his case. Olympic Gold Medal never hurts.

Won Calder trophy coming out of nowhere and has gone on to be a five time all-star.

Longest serving captain in the league to boot.

Alfie has a lot of things going for him, it just remains to be seen what he can do in his last 2-3 years to solidify his case.

Last edited by Wham City: 04-07-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Wham City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:34 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
They said for the league, didn't specify HHoF. Even if it does go there, it could just be a nice way of honouring the Sens 1st 1000 game player, and not a guarantee that he will be in.

Yes they said one was going to the hall of fame.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Nager

It saddens me to say this...but I don't know... I don't know

Nager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:47 AM
CheeseSandwich*

Who cares? I've been there 3 times and I don't even look at the locker things. I just play the games.

CheeseSandwich* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:49 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:

The only ones I could think of were Bonk, Demitra, Straka and they all fall short. Straka was about 50 games short.

Redden is 9 games away.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:54 AM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by arglebargle View Post
Larmer also played in the 80's when goals were a lot easier to score. Have you seen how bad the goalies were back then? There was also a lot more hooking and holding in the 90's as well as teams focusing mostly on defensive hockey, all of which led to reduced goal scoring.

Basically what I'm saying is that points scored in the mid-late 90's are worth more than points scored in the 80's and post-lockout, so the Steve Larmer comparison doesn't really work.
This. Not to mention the constant swelling of goalie equipment over the years.

*cough* Giguere *cough*

internetdotcom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:55 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
I don't think Sundin deserves to be in the HOF either (he may get there only because he was a Leaf and maybe his international resume)

If Dino Ciccarelli can't get in then Alfie has no chance
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=992
Those totals are almost exactly equal to my estimate of where he will finish point wise, and I wouldn't say they're unrealistic.

Dino had a 'interesting' career away from the ice and although I don't think it should matter, but his personal life doesn't exactly mesh with the image the NHL embraces and you can't say that they don't take that into account when choosing players for the Hall.