HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Alfie in Hockey Hall of Fame?

Old
04-07-2010, 10:56 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

vCash: 500

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 10:57 AM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
The only ones I could think of were Bonk, Demitra, Straka and they all fall short. Straka was about 50 games short.

Redden is 9 games away.
Yeah Demitra is a guy I thought of after posting, as well as Redden.
Who knows if Redden will ever hit that mark?

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:09 AM
The Fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
Those totals are almost exactly equal to my estimate of where he will finish point wise, and I wouldn't say they're unrealistic.

Dino had a 'interesting' career away from the ice and although I don't think it should matter, but his personal life doesn't exactly mesh with the image the NHL embraces and you can't say that they don't take that into account when choosing players for the Hall.
There is more then Ciccarelli. The following players are having a tough time getting in...

Dave Andreychuk
Brian Bellows
Doug Gilmour
Vincint Damphousse
Alexander Mogilny
Steve Larmer
Adam Oates
Pat Verbeek

If these players are having a hard time, Alfie will too.

The Fuhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:19 AM
miser

Should be in before Sundin!

miser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:35 AM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
There is more then Ciccarelli. The following players are having a tough time getting in...

Dave Andreychuk
Brian Bellows
Doug Gilmour
Vincint Damphousse
Alexander Mogilny
Steve Larmer
Adam Oates
Pat Verbeek

If these players are having a hard time, Alfie will too.
I totally agree that he will have a hard time. Several of those guys could be inducted in the next few classes though. I'm in no way saying Alfie will be inducted, not even saying I think he will... but to say he won't get in unless he wins one of the 3 hardest to win NHL awards to get inducted? That is what I disagree with.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:41 AM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
The only ones I could think of were Bonk, Demitra, Straka and they all fall short. Straka was about 50 games short.

Redden is 9 games away.
We didnt draft Redden, the Islanders did, then traded him to us for Bryan Berard.

I think that personality, and off the ice things should count for HHoF consideration, and if that is the case, Alfie is first ballot HHoFer all the way.

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:42 AM
The Fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
I totally agree that he will have a hard time. Several of those guys could be inducted in the next few classes though. I'm in no way saying Alfie will be inducted, not even saying I think he will... but to say he won't get in unless he wins one of the 3 hardest to win NHL awards to get inducted? That is what I disagree with.
I think he needs something that will seperate himself from those guys and the new guys that become eligible evey year for example Lindros, Turgeon, Nieuwendyk, and Bondra are first timers this year.

Honestly a cup may not be able to do it, sure Alfie has point totals but so do many others

Old
04-07-2010, 01:47 PM
Madskillz65

As a Sens fan, YES! As an NHL fan? I highly doubt it.

Madskillz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 02:06 PM
Nabokov20
Karlsson for Chuck

vCash: 1706
The problem with Alfie is that he's very underrated and therefore he chances are limited. That piece of **** Sundin will get in, but only because the media was all up on his ****. Alfie rules... Hall or no Hall (not Taylor).

Nabokov20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 02:15 PM
The Fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabokov20 View Post
The problem with Alfie is that he's very underrated and therefore he chances are limited. That piece of **** Sundin will get in, but only because the media was all up on his ****. Alfie rules... Hall or no Hall (not Taylor).
Sundin has 500G + 1300 points + Leading all time scorer of an original six team + a fantastic resume in international tournaments + Swedens top point producer of all time (I still dont think he should get in)

He has a resume beyond the numbers. I don't see Alfie having achievements that seperates himself

Old
04-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Nabokov20
Karlsson for Chuck

Quote:
Sundin has 500G + 1300 points + Leading all time scorer of an original six team + a fantastic resume in international tournaments + Swedens top point producer of all time (I still dont think he should get in)

He has a resume beyond the numbers. I don't see Alfie having achievements that seperates himself
forgot that

Old
04-07-2010, 02:26 PM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabokov20 View Post
The Toronto media ripped Sundin endlessly for his lack of leadership, lack of emotion and inability to produce a Cup finals or a long playoff run. He's hardly been a media darling, even in the seasons where the Leafs went deep.

Alfredsson suffers from the opposite problem, oddly enough. He's laboured in a small market and is really quiet as a person. Outside of the 2007ish seasons he never had a 50 goal season or a Hart finalist nomination. The team had a dismal playoff record pre-2007 with one Conference finals.

He's very, very good but not sure if he makes the Hall. I think if Sweden had won Gold this year and he led the charge or if the Senators go to the Cup finals this year with a point a game plus performance, he merits serious consideration.

Not flashy enough on or off the ice, sadly.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 02:34 PM
Nabokov20
Karlsson for Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
The Toronto media ripped Sundin endlessly for his lack of leadership, lack of emotion and inability to produce a Cup finals or a long playoff run. He's hardly been a media darling, even in the seasons where the Leafs went deep.

Alfredsson suffers from the opposite problem, oddly enough. He's laboured in a small market and is really quiet as a person. Outside of the 2007ish seasons he never had a 50 goal season or a Hart finalist nomination. The team had a dismal playoff record pre-2007 with one Conference finals.

He's very, very good but not sure if he makes the Hall. I think if Sweden had won Gold this year and he led the charge or if the Senators go to the Cup finals this year with a point a game plus performance, he merits serious consideration.

Not flashy enough on or off the ice, sadly.
guess that's run its course. i just hate Sundin

Old
04-07-2010, 02:39 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Quote:
Unless he wins a cup, hart or conn myth he does not get in.
as much as I hate to say this, this it true...The Cup atleast. If he doesn't win it, it's really doubtful he does make it. Also I don't think his longest serving captaincy would get him in there either

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Stassino

It's hard to say .. Point wise he's right there, but that isn't the defining factor (see; Bernie Nichols, Dino Ciccareli etc).. The thing with Alfie that should put hm over the top is his defensive play./. He's been top 5 all around players in the NHL for 10 years now....

Stassino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 06:56 PM
Alfredsson11

if he gets a cup, if not, no

To me Alfie doesnt need to go to the HHOF, I know what type of player he was/is.

Alfredsson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 07:08 PM
MHX
Hockey Makes Us...

As much as I would like him to get in, I don't think he will unless he wins a cup...

MHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 07:10 PM
metalfoot
Karlsson!

If he were just an offensive player, no, but since he's been a 2-way forward his whole career and still put up the numbers, with the bulk of his career in the dead-puck era, I think he has a chance. Of course, a piece of individual hardware would help.

metalfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 07:22 PM
SammyTheBull

vCash: 984
Alfredsson doesn't need to be inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame.

People already pay tribute to his existence every single day in churches all over the world.

SammyTheBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 07:38 PM
MoreGore

I think it will be close. There are factors that may help or hinder his chances, it really depends on how it plays out.

He missed one of his prime seasons because of a strike. I think there was another lockout as well. So his totals have probably been reduced by 100games and 98 points.

He played in the dead puck era, so scoring results will be lower for those players.

He does a lot of charity work, so he does have a good profile.

Rookie of the year, Gold medal, anything else?

He had 80 points in 101 playoff games, which is pretty good (including 43 goals).

He is also a very good player late in his career, so depending on when he retires people may remeber him leaving while effective

He is a very good leader, and fast healer (tough).

I think there is a good chance for him.

MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Hate to say it, but I don't think Alfie has a shot unless he plays until he's 50 and is still carrying the team.

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 08:02 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Doubt he'll be a first ballot inductee, but I won't be surprised if he does make it into the hall.

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Inkling
Proud to be a Mammal

I'd love to see him there, but really...I'll be happy enough to see his number hanging from the ceiling of SBP (and some front office position). The HHoF thing is still pretty iffy.

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 10:33 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
As much as I love Aflie

No

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 01:49 AM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
I don't think gets in at this moment. His career is very similar to that of Steve Larmer, who had a very good career and even won a Stanley Cup and a Canada Cup. However, Larmer has not yet been inducted into the HHOF, and his numbers will likely be better than Alfredsson's by the time Alfredsson retires.
Not really comparable to Larmer. Larmer put up his point per game in the highest scoring era ever. He was nevwr THE STAR either. Alfie clearly is better. What is he third or fourth in the last decade in points? His comparables are Sundin, Recchi, Modano moreso than Larmer.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote