HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Moving Up/Down In this years draft

Old
04-08-2010, 03:50 PM
Sneekypete

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
The limit of 50 players under contract is something that doesn't get mentioned much, but I agree that it's a consideration. I think it's part of the reason for the de Haan multiple trade-up last year. I wouldn't be surprised by another trade up scenario this year to lose a pick or two.
The Isles will be very far from the 50 contract limit after the season. They will have 24 signed players and 10 RFA`s, 3 of which are Tambellini, Bentivoglio and Flood. 3 probably that won`t be brought back. So that is 31 players.
The already drafted players who will or may be signed, Hamonic, Petrov, De Haan, Niemi and Poulin. I don`t think De Haan will get a deal unless he is NHL ready ,it would make little sense to give a contract for a player who is in junior and still under managements control.

The Isles may sign there top pick this year if he is NHL ready but they will have 2 years minimum of deferability.
Any draft pick that is off to college does not have to be signed until he leaves school or after his senior season. Even if he leaves school they will have until mid May or Mid August of that year, which in turn does not effect the 50 contract limit unless the next season.
The Islanders are and will be very far from the 50 contract limit even after they sign UFA`s and depth signings, drafting as many good prospects as possible is the play again this season. It seems as though the Isles are following the path of the Kings during there rebuild. Throw as much S**t as you can against the wall and hope some sticks.

Sneekypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Dice on Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
Its my opininon that now is the time where the Isles need Serious "Blue Chip Prospects". Our system is running out of room for multitudes of "gamble" propescts in the hope they pan out.
I respectfully but highly disagree with this statement. Gambling is warranted in the middle rounds. It's part of drafting. The Isles have done a great job identifying the right gambles. Look at what Matt Donovan, Anders Lee, Anton Klementyev, Jason Gregoire, Kevin Poulin, and Kirill Petrov have done since being drafted. Klementyev is already playing pro hockey and made the NHL in a cup of coffee. Donovan is the best amateur defenseman in America. Lee is probably going to be the MVP of the USHL this season, and he's trying to make a run for the championship as we speak. Gregoire is already the best player at a powerhouse program in North Dakota, yet he's only entering his junior season. Poulin is the best goalie in the QMJHL and just led his team to a second-round sweep. Petrov was Russia's best forward at the WJC and is currently tearing up Russian juniors.

All these guys were gambles at the time. All of them seem to be on the way to paying off. Have the Isles gambled and lost? Well, it looks like Robin Figren, Maxim Gratchev, Corey Trivino, Justin DiBenedetto, and David Toews won't pay off. Doesn't mean they weren't worth it. Jury's still out on Aaron Ness, Jyri Niemi, Brian Day, and Jared Spurgeon. Doesn't mean they weren't worth it, either.

The Isles do draft guys as sleepers. Travis Hamonic, Matt Martin, and Mikko Koskinen are examples of this. They were all safe picks at the time who were simply overlooked by other teams. However, you can't make all your picks that way. The nature of drafting is essentially calculated gambling.

The 50-contract limit has nothing to do with this gambling, either. The Islanders can retain a player's rights and wait until they must sign him in order to make a decision. It doesn't hurt the Isles to hold a whole bundle of players' rights at once. There's no limit on that. Drafting is a numbers game, and the more players you can stockpile, the better.

That's not to say that the Mike Tannenbaum patented strategy of trading up to grab a guy you absolutely love is not a valid route. It's just that in a seven-round draft, it behooves you to pick up more players than less players, all other things being equal.

Dice on Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 01:24 AM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice on Ice View Post
I haven't seen Gudbranson play, but reports are that he's like Phaneuf: hits people and brings a huge slapshot, but doesn't quite have it all there with his positioning. Thus, you'd be taking a gamble on him if this is true. If he can't get his positional game down, he won't be a championship defenseman.
I'm no expert by any means, but it seems to me that an 18 year olds positional game really is not something to be too concerned about. Being in the right spot is probably the easiest thing that you can teach a prospect.

If the Isles can get a guy like Gudbranson, they shouldn't worry about his less then stellar positional play in the OHL.

Also, I don't necessarily think that Snowkowski should be picking a Dman, which seems to be the consensus here. If the Isles wind up picking 6th and the BPA happens to be a forward then they should take him. If BPA is a Dman then take him.

This organization still needs more top talent all over the ice. Honestly Martin and Joenssu are really the only forwards the team has that are close to ready. Petrov too if he comes over. But I don't think the isles should drop a few spots to pick up a Dman because they feel they need a Dman more. They need everything, and that Dman is expected to go lower for a reason.

BPA ALWAYS!!!

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 11:32 PM
Stercrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Also, I don't necessarily think that Snowkowski should be picking a Dman, which seems to be the consensus here. If the Isles wind up picking 6th and the BPA happens to be a forward then they should take him. If BPA is a Dman then take him.

This organization still needs more top talent all over the ice. Honestly Martin and Joenssu are really the only forwards the team has that are close to ready. Petrov too if he comes over. But I don't think the isles should drop a few spots to pick up a Dman because they feel they need a Dman more. They need everything, and that Dman is expected to go lower for a reason.

BPA ALWAYS!!!
I absolutely agree. If the BPA is a hotdog vender.....grab him. Although this team has turned around some I think more talent in any area would be nice. Maybe after this draft the Isles will have the luxury of drafting "who" they want rather then BPA.

Stercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 07:32 AM
doublechili

vCash: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneekypete View Post
The Isles will be very far from the 50 contract limit after the season. They will have 24 signed players and 10 RFA`s, 3 of which are Tambellini, Bentivoglio and Flood. 3 probably that won`t be brought back. So that is 31 players.
The already drafted players who will or may be signed, Hamonic, Petrov, De Haan, Niemi and Poulin. I don`t think De Haan will get a deal unless he is NHL ready ,it would make little sense to give a contract for a player who is in junior and still under managements control.

The Isles may sign there top pick this year if he is NHL ready but they will have 2 years minimum of deferability.
Any draft pick that is off to college does not have to be signed until he leaves school or after his senior season. Even if he leaves school they will have until mid May or Mid August of that year, which in turn does not effect the 50 contract limit unless the next season.
The Islanders are and will be very far from the 50 contract limit even after they sign UFA`s and depth signings, drafting as many good prospects as possible is the play again this season. It seems as though the Isles are following the path of the Kings during there rebuild. Throw as much S**t as you can against the wall and hope some sticks.
I admit I'm not keeping count, but any concern over the 50 contract limit relating to draft picks they'll make in June is further down the line. I'm talking about 2-3 years or more from now. I guess all I'm saying is they can't stockpile picks every year because they'll eventually reach a point where they're having to let kids go before they've had a chance to fully evaluate them. So I think packaging later picks to trade up is likely.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote