HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Guy Boucher named AHL coach of the year

Old
04-07-2010, 04:23 PM
LeMAD

vCash: 500
He'll coach a NHL team next year for sure.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 04:42 PM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
And Price won the Calder Cup one year. The NHL is a whole new ballgame. I'm betting that Boucher would want another year or two in the AHL to learn.
And I'm betting some team will offer him more than a million bucks to coach in the NHL next year and he'll accept.

Old
04-07-2010, 04:44 PM
Scotianhab

Congrats to Guy!

Scotianhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 04:47 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

I want him to be our coach right now!!!

We better not loose him... This guy is a stud!!! And, he's not scare to put some toughness in his lineup, unlike Jacques "the Boring Master" Martin.

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 05:14 PM
Melvin Udall

Will Pierre Gauthier Blunder?

Is Pierre Gauthier about to make his first big blunder as Habs GM and let Guy Boucher get hired by another NHL team so that Pierre can keep his long time friend Jaques Martin with the Habs?

This will be very interesting!

GO HABS GO!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 05:16 PM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND Irish View Post
Is Pierre Gauthier about to make his first big blunder as Habs GM and let Guy Boucher get hired by another NHL team so that Pierre can keep his long time friend Jaques Martin with the Habs?

GO HABS GO!
Yes.

Martin will not be fired this summer, and Boucher will sign somewhere for sure.

Old
04-07-2010, 05:19 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Well, let's sure as hell hope not.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 05:20 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Hopefully not, but I wouldn't be too shocked.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 05:22 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Boucher is under contract for a few years. He ain't going anywhere, he can't sign with someone else. How can Gauthier be ABOUT to make his first big blunder by losing Boucher when he can't lose Boucher????

On another topic, brain farts are funny as hell.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 05:22 PM
Tray4Adams

Best case scenario is that they move Martin upstairs to be the assistant GM and give the head coaching position to Boucher

Tray4Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 05:26 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Boucher is under contract for a few years. He ain't going anywhere, he can't sign with someone else. How can Gauthier be ABOUT to make his first big blunder by losing Boucher when he can't lose Boucher????

If teams are interested in him, they can ask Montreal to speak with him.

If that's the case, I highly doubt that Habs management will refuse to allow him to look for work in the NHL.

Old
04-07-2010, 05:28 PM
Shabutie

Quote:

To be fair, Boucher could perhaps have an out clause in his contract that would allow him to sign with an NHL team.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND Irish View Post

GO HABS GO!
What would you do as GM, fire JM? What if he upsets a top seed, you still fire him to give Boucher a shot?

I think the best case for next year is for Boucher to nove up as an assistant.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 05:30 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tray4Adams View Post
Best case scenario is that they move Martin upstairs to be the assistant GM and give the head coaching position to Boucher
Yeah, I think that's a good possibility. I'm also intrigued who Gauthier picks to replace his old job.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 05:31 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
If it comes down to it, perhaps let Pearn go and slide Boucher in, or extend the coaching staff to allow Boucher in as well. Or, most likely, nothing happens until the end of next season

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 05:31 PM
RE-HABS

Just because Boucher won the award doesn't mean he will be a NHL head coach next season. There are a lot of good coaches down there that have won and have really good resumes too, plus any offers would have to go through Montreal and we would have to approve and if so we could get compensation for the hiring.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 05:33 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
I don't think the chances are that high of another team trying to hire Boucher this year. Many teams probably have minor league coaches with a decent resume of success that they'd give a shot to first, and many teams insist on hiring retread coaches.

I'm sure some teams will kick the tires in the next few years, but I think there's a good chance he'll stay in Hamilton for awhile.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 05:33 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
How would it be a blunder? There are so many factors at play, who says Boucher even gets offered an NHL head coaching job? If he is offered a position and an assistant somewhere I am sure the Habs would make the same offer. As mentioned, do you fire JM especially if he wins a round or two? Way to early to think about this.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 05:34 PM
Lucius

It's pretty much the definition of unprofessional to fire someone without merit because you see a shiny new star on the horizon.

Now this is pro sports, so some exceptions are made... But if I am Boucher and I see them toss Martin aside after one year without merit... Do I even want to say yes?

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
If teams are interested in him, they can ask Montreal to speak with him.

If that's the case, I highly doubt that Habs management will refuse to allow him to look for work in the NHL.
He's under contract, I highly doubt Habs brass would let him walk away. Give your head a shake.

Also, read this : http://www.faceoff.com/hockey/teams/...260/story.html

Quote:
Is it your goal to one day coach the Canadiens, or would you take any NHL coaching opportunity? "You know what, I have been asked that question a lot. My answer is always the same. People talk about it, and talk about it for me, but I never do. I have always done things in the present and take care of what I do because I love what I do, I really do. For me, it's how can I get better today. The NHL for me is really far and it's really not something I am striving for right now. What I am striving for is for me to get better and my players to get better. I want to be better than I was yesterday and I want my players to be better. And that will be the same tomorrow. When you take care of the present, usually the future takes care of itself."
Quote:
What advice would you give young coaches in Quebec who dream of coaching at high levels like the QMJHL, AHL or even NHL? "Honestly, for me it's not about working up the ranks. I think that is probably the biggest mistake. My advice is to actually master everything in the ranks. You got to spend some time in the trenches before you are ready for the front. The more time you spend in the trenches, the more prepared you are for anything that will come in the future, so that would be my best advice."
Quote:
Were you expecting to get a chance to move up to the professional level so quickly? "Since January (2009), I did have talks with different people in the NHL and the American Hockey League, and so I wasn't necessarily expecting to leave, but I was expecting to have some discussions."
He's had discussions with other teams prior to signing with Montreal. And he signed here. Where do you think he wants to be???

All the people who talk about Boucher leaving for a NHL job know jack **** about Boucher. The ONLY reason we are having this thread is because some people tend to make ignorant assumptions based solely on their insecurities regarding the team.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 05:40 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
He's under contract, I highly doubt Habs brass would let him walk away. Give your head a shake.
And you honestly think if he gets an offer to coach an NHL team, the Habs brass will refuse to let him go? That's pretty unprofessional if you ask me. Of course I want him to stay, but I'm pretty sure they'll want him to do what's best for his career.

Habs management isn't going to tell him "Listen, we know you got an offer to coach an NHL team, but you're staying here weather you like it or not."

Old
04-07-2010, 05:42 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Aside from Subban, the Habs' best asset is Boucher. They literally have 0 reason to let him go. THey can keep him down there until his contract expires then hire him with the big team.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:

Also, read this : http://www.faceoff.com/hockey/teams/...260/story.html

He's had discussions with other teams prior to signing with Montreal. And he signed here. Where do you think he wants to be???

All the people who talk about Boucher leaving for a NHL job know jack **** about Boucher. The ONLY reason we are having this thread is because some people tend to make ignorant assumptions based solely on their insecurities regarding the team.
You have either just started following pro hockey (and for that matter pro sports) or you are addicted to kool-aid.

If an NHL team offers Boucher a head coaching position, he's gone....and he'll be signing that contract as quickly as he can. Boucher's a career coach and a head coaching gig in the NHL is his goal/dream. Sure the Habs would be his top choice of all NHL teams but the current Habs coach (JM) is in year one of a four year contract (Habs are also still paying Carbo for a couple of years). Boucher isn't going to pass up on his lifelong dream just to wait around for an indefinite number of years and see what happens. The Habs won't stand in his way of fulfilling his NHL dream....especially when they already have JM signed for 4 years.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 05:53 PM
Kensai Akatsume Ryu

Send a message via MSN to Kensai Akatsume Ryu
Quote:
The guy's got a master in psy and seems exceedingly good at it, no matter if they make millions, they'll sing to his tunes, they are human beings after all and no different psychologically than you and me.

And for all those alarmists who believe Boucher will get snatched... the pessimism around here is getting depressing like a rainy day in autumn. Boucher ain't going anywhere until the Habs say so. He's UNDER contract for crying out loud. He can't talk to other teams unless the Habs give him the green light. Stop being so fackin lame. The guy loves the Habs and seemed genuinly very proud of being a Habs when he got signed. Someone with his level of intelligence will relish being part of the greatest hockey franchise in history. He'll be a Habs coach, bank on it.
Now that's what I call going straight for the point... and I love it. Good post, agree with you totally.

Kensai Akatsume Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 06:03 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:

So..........Do you think there may be any chance that Boucher's agent was smarter that say.....you?

And maybe, just maybe, Boucher's agent insisted on having a clause in his contract allowing Boucher to be released from his AHL contract if an NHL team makes an offer?

I know these concepts are difficult for at least some fans to grasp - but most agents are smarter that most fans! Talk about brain farts!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote