HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Guy Boucher named AHL coach of the year

Old
04-07-2010, 11:21 PM
shutehinside

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
The problem with this is that his accomplishments mean little to the Habs. He's been a bust in Montreal and has only been saved by fantastic goaltending and the pathetic weakness of the Eastern conference, but he's having the team underperform 5-on-5 and that's a capital sin for a coach. The Habs won't make any progress regardless of any personnel moves until there's a change in coaching philosophy.

I don't think Martin will be fired at the end of this year (sadly, this means the Habs will be a bubble team at best next year) and I think they have a year's grace with Boucher as I don't see another team making a move. If he excels next year, however, the Habs have to hire him or lose him. Unless Martin really turns things around, which I doubt, it should be a no-brainer, but I worry that Martin will be allowed to overstay his welcome more than he already has.

Basically, keeping their current coach is already a suboptimal decision, but I expect he has enough excuses and credit with the org to survive another year; in any case, there's little sense in replacing him for a one-year interim coach and it's probably too early to bring Boucher up. After next season is when Boucher must be called up, unless there's a massive (and unlikely) turnaround in the quality of Martin's coaching.

If the Habs manage to fall under the ridiculously low playoff bar, however, all bets are off.
So playing what was basically the entire year without thier best players on a team where most of the players who are new and teaching an entirely new system that works well when employed and still making the playoffs is a bust to you.

I'm willing to give Martin a little more credit then you are and I still think he should be given more time then 1 year before firing him. The 1st year he was in Ottawa they were abysmal, he took them to the Conference Finals.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:26 PM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tray4Adams View Post
Best case scenario is that they move Martin upstairs to be the assistant GM and give the head coaching position to Boucher
I predicted this last summer when Martin was hired, although I thought he would be taking over from Gainey. I can see Martin being assistant GM, he must be sick of coaching by now.

Craig71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:28 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
I predicted this last summer when Martin was hired, although I thought he would be taking over from Gainey. I can see Martin being assistant GM, he must be sick of coaching by now.
Martin took the job because he hates being a GM and couldn't wait to get back behind a bench. I don't see him moving to the front office anytime soon.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:31 PM
HCH

Quote:
The problem with this is that his accomplishments mean little to the Habs. He's been a bust in Montreal and has only been saved by fantastic goaltending and the pathetic weakness of the Eastern conference, but he's having the team underperform 5-on-5 and that's a capital sin for a coach. The Habs won't make any progress regardless of any personnel moves until there's a change in coaching philosophy.

I don't think Martin will be fired at the end of this year (sadly, this means the Habs will be a bubble team at best next year) and I think they have a year's grace with Boucher as I don't see another team making a move. If he excels next year, however, the Habs have to hire him or lose him. Unless Martin really turns things around, which I doubt, it should be a no-brainer, but I worry that Martin will be allowed to overstay his welcome more than he already has.

Basically, keeping their current coach is already a suboptimal decision, but I expect he has enough excuses and credit with the org to survive another year; in any case, there's little sense in replacing him for a one-year interim coach and it's probably too early to bring Boucher up. After next season is when Boucher must be called up, unless there's a massive (and unlikely) turnaround in the quality of Martin's coaching.

If the Habs manage to fall under the ridiculously low playoff bar, however, all bets are off.
Yep, I agree with you 100%

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 01:01 AM
Next Best Thing*

If Guy Boucher is not the next coach to take over from JM I will take off this Jersey and walk away, not even kidding. Well maybe 0.000001% kidding.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 01:20 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Montreal was a team basically nobody picked to make the playoffs.
Which was silly, because the talent was clearly there.

Quote:
Then, we received a ridiculous number of injuries that would have crippled any team.
That's the excuse that will be used to justify him being kept into next year, that and the hypothetical playoff berth. Except that the Habs got two unexpected boons: absolutely fantastic goaltending and a terribad Eastern Conference that may just allow the Habs to get into the playoffs with 87 points.

Quote:
Then, he takes us to 6th place, and you want him fired? He hasn't even had a full roster for more than 2 weeks and you want to blame everything on the coach
This team would be much stronger with a vaguely below average 5-on-5 game and Martin had the personnel to make it happen. The 6th place bit is a mirage, really: the reality is that if the East wasn't so awful, the Habs would've long been eliminated by now. They've gotten worse results than last year with better talent, and last year had its share of injuries too.

I'm sorry, but Martin has arguably done worse than Carbo. He's having the team underperforming.

MathMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 01:22 AM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:

Except that the Habs got two unexpected boons: absolutely fantastic goaltending and a terribad Eastern Conference that may just allow the Habs to get into the playoffs with 87 points.

This team would be much stronger with a vaguely below average 5-on-5 game and Martin had the personnel to make it happen. I'm sorry, but he's had the team underperforming and has been a bust for the Habs.
What if these players just don't give a crap on most nights. Is that not a possibility? I mean how many coaches do we have to fire, this is the first good one we've had in what... since Vigneault?

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 01:39 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
What if these players just don't give a crap on most nights. Is that not a possibility?
Yeah, because not giving a crap most nights is something I totally associate with, say, Brian Gionta.

The effort's been there most nights, and they even have a bit of a never-give-up vibe about them, but their system is not great and it leads to multiple 40-shot barrages against. Thankfully, the Habs' goaltenders are crazy good, or we wouldn't be having this conversation; with merely good goaltending, I think Martin might be out of a job and we'd be counting lottery balls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
I mean how many coaches do we have to fire, this is the first good one we've had in what... since Vigneault?
I don't think he is all that good. Well, he is in many ways, but he's failing at the #1 thing a coach needs to do -- instill a solid 5-on-5 system with the troops -- and he has been, let's say, hit or miss with young players.

He's a better coach than Carbo... but he's getting worse results with better players, and last year wasn't exactly free of crippling injuries either.

Old
04-08-2010, 09:50 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Lever was given permission to talk to other teams because he was under contract with the Habs (let's remember he was called up to the NHL at the time) Gainey did not intend to bring him back, so he let Lever and Wilson know they had permission to talk to other teams.

As for Boucher, he can not leave Hamilton and teams can not offer him a contract. They would need permission to even speak to him, and if the Habs gave the ok, then he could leave. I don't know if you can still get compensation though. If you recall, we had to give up a draft pick to get Julien since he was under contract with the Oilers, I think it was a 4th or 5th rounder but I'd have to look it up.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 10:33 AM
STAALing

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Martin - 1,098 games coached, 517 wins, .552 winning% (starting on really baaad teams), 3Division Championships

Boucher 0 games coached in the NHL
But, but, he won AHL coach of the year !

Martin BOOOORRRRRRIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGG

STAALing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 10:33 AM
Nedved

Boucher will coach in montreal one day. relax.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
The guy's got a master in psy and seems exceedingly good at it, no matter if they make millions, they'll sing to his tunes, they are human beings after all and no different psychologically than you and me.

And for all those alarmists who believe Boucher will get snatched... the pessimism around here is getting depressing like a rainy day in autumn. Boucher ain't going anywhere until the Habs say so. He's UNDER contract for crying out loud. He can't talk to other teams unless the Habs give him the green light. Stop being so fackin lame. The guy loves the Habs and seemed genuinly very proud of being a Habs when he got signed. Someone with his level of intelligence will relish being part of the greatest hockey franchise in history. He'll be a Habs coach, bank on it.

I hear you (a contract is a contract) but there is an unwritten rule in the NHL (as implied by Schooner Guy): you don’t get in the way of one of your employees if another organization offers him a promotion. You don’t have to look too far away for an example: as Marc Antoine Godin (La Presse) *1 and many posters mentioned, we did "snatch" Claude Julien from the Oilers a few years ago.

Just like you, I am a big fan of Boucher: I already consider him as one of the most precious assets of this organization. However I also think there is a possibility that we lose Boucher and such an opinion should not be labelled as "alarmist/pessimism"... it’s the reality imo.

From my point of view, the ideal scenario would be another year in the AHL (10/11) and, in 2011-12, as suggested by Jean Perron the former head coach of the Montreal Canadiens, offer Boucher (if he keeps showing good signs) 700K/year to become an associate (the former title of Jarvis) NHL coach in Montreal. In 2012-13, Martin will only have one year left (I think) to his 2-2,5M$/year contract => re-evaluate the situation.

*1 I don’t have the time to translate the article but here is the link to the Google Translate of Godin’s article: original version in French / Google Translation in English - Warning: this is a weird one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I think you guys underrate just how big a factor the "old boys club" plays when it comes to teams hiring new coaches and GMs around the league. How come nobody snapped up Bruce Boudreau after he lead the Bears to back-to-back finals appearances (including a championship)?

I'm not going to say it isn't a possibility and it would suck if it happened, but it's not something I would lose sleep over....

Guy Boucher worked with Hockey Canada: 3x with the Under-18 Team program and 1x at the WJC... the guy is on the radar. In terms of "old boys club", nothing beats Hockey Canada!

Last edited by Kjell Dahlin: 04-08-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 10:53 AM
macavoy

I'm not too worried about him getting snatched up yet. Honestly, what team do you think will go after him?

He's had 1 season in the AHL and only has 2 years experience as a head coach. I don't see many teams taking that kind of a gamble on a french coach from Quebec. He's got an amazing record but he needs seasoning imo. I honestly don't see an NHL team taking a chance on him this summer.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 11:00 AM
TinordiandSubban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
Boucher will coach in montreal one day. relax.
And the list of players that he will coach in both Montreal and Hamilton will be long:

PK Subban
Ryan White
Tom Pyatt
Alex Avtsyn
Ben Maxwell
Louis Leblanc
Danny Kristo
Joonas Nattinen
Gabriel Dumont
David Fischer

As a partial list for the next three years of propects who are most likely to play in the NHlL someday.

TinordiandSubban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 11:02 AM
jcpenny

Quote:

That's the excuse that will be used to justify him being kept into next year, that and the hypothetical playoff berth. Except that the Habs got two unexpected boons: absolutely fantastic goaltending and a terribad Eastern Conference that may just allow the Habs to get into the playoffs with 87 points.

This team would be much stronger with a vaguely below average 5-on-5 game and Martin had the personnel to make it happen. The 6th place bit is a mirage, really: the reality is that if the East wasn't so awful, the Habs would've long been eliminated by now. They've gotten worse results than last year with better talent, and last year had its share of injuries too.

I'm sorry, but Martin has arguably done worse than Carbo. He's having the team underperforming.
With the serious lack of speed and skill on the back end, all new players coming in having to get used to each others and a new system with a new coach you call that underperforming? This team is not as good as fans think they are. I personnally thought this team would miss the playoffs but somehow they managed to not only stay in the hunt but now they are 6th in their conference. Some say this team is underperforming, i say they are overperforming. JM's emphasize on team play and team defense gave them a structure this team never had for the longest time. I know we are known to be the most impatient fans in the NHL but we should be patient and give JM a chance.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Habs

Please get him up here soon as possible, and rid us of the Martin regime.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 11:20 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
With the serious lack of speed and skill on the back end, all new players coming in having to get used to each others and a new system with a new coach you call that underperforming?
Absolutely. With more talent than last year he's getting worse results than Carbo in what everyone considers a starcrossed year. That's clearly underperforming.

And I realize Martin's making the D-men look especially bad, but I think your claim of 'serious lack of speed and skill' is not only exaggerated, it's also a bit ironic because the blueline is clearly better than last year's.

Quote:
This team is not as good as fans think they are.
No, it's actually better than you think it is. The talent level was there for it to at the very least match last year's performance, even with the injuries.

Quote:
I know we are known to be the most impatient fans in the NHL but we should be patient and give JM a chance.
He needs to turn it around a lot for him to become an asset rather than a detriment. His system may be structured, but it's causing the team to be routinely outplayed, and badly, at 5-on-5.

Old
04-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I'm not too worried about him getting snatched up yet. Honestly, what team do you think will go after him?

He's had 1 season in the AHL and only has 2 years experience as a head coach. I don't see many teams taking that kind of a gamble on a french coach from Quebec. He's got an amazing record but he needs seasoning imo. I honestly don't see an NHL team taking a chance on him this summer.
"... I don't see many teams taking that kind of a gamble on a french coach from Quebec..."

True – I think the Habs are the only organization (Québec Nordiques aside) that gives the first chance to French speaking coaches/GMs. It’s like our own personal reserve; maybe it will play in our favour!

However, as I already mentioned, Boucher worked four times with Hockey Canada... and now this AHL coach of the year award => The guy really is on the radar… despite his Frenchness!

Old
04-08-2010, 11:45 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
However, as I already mentioned, Boucher worked four times with Hockey Canada... and now this AHL coach of the year award => The guy really is on the radar…
I don't deny he is getting on the radar. There have just been more coaches that have done more than him at this point. Lets take a look at who needs a coach.

Columbus Blue Jackets

Claude Noel was named interim head coach on February 3, 2010. Noel joined the Columbus Blue Jackets as an assistant coach on June 28, 2007 after spending four seasons as the head coach of the Milwaukee Admirals, the American Hockey League affiliate of the Nashville Predators. During that time, he led the club to a 183-94-12-31 regular season record, three 100-point seasons and two West Division titles. He also compiled a 33-21 record in the Calder Cup Playoffs, including two appearances in the Finals (2004, 2006). During the 2003-04 season, the club compiled a 46-24-7-3 record and went 16-6 in the playoffs en route to capturing the organization's first Calder Cup championship. That year, Noel was named the AHL’s Coach of the Year.

He's got a more distinguished record at the AHL level.

Edmonton Oilers

I don't see them getting rid of Quinn and Reney yet.

Minnesota Wild

Todd Richards was named Head Coach of the Minnesota Wild on June 16, 2009. He has advanced to the playoffs in all 13 of his professional seasons as a player, and in all seven as a Head Coach or Assistant Coach. Prior to joining the Wild, Richards spent one season as an Assistant Coach for the San Jose Sharks, helping the team to an NHL-best 53-18-11 record and a Presidents’ Trophy in 2008-09.

He spent two seasons (2006-08) as Head Coach of the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins in the American Hockey League (AHL), where he led the team to a berth in the Calder Cup Finals in 2008. Fletcher was the Baby Pens General Manager during that time. Richards ended his stint with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton ranked first in franchise history with 98 wins and in winning percentage (.653). He also was named Head Coach of the PlanetUSA Team at the 2007 Rbk Hockey/AHL All-Star Classic in Toronto.

Before his time in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Richards served as an Assistant Coach (2002-06) with the Milwaukee Admirals. During his time in Milwaukee, the Admirals won two West Division titles (2003-04 and 2005-06) and made two trips to the Calder Cup Finals, winning the AHL title in 2003-04. In his seven seasons as a Head Coach or Assistant Coach in the professional ranks, Richards’ teams have made the league finals three times.

I don't see them giving up on him after only 1 year. He's on somewhat of the same level as Boucher imo but with more experience as a backup coach and considerable success.

Dallas Stars

Marc Crawford they'll probably give him one more year

Anaheim

Randy Carlyle: not going anywhere imo

St Louis Blues

Davis Payne, 39, was named the 23rd head coach of the St. Louis Blues on Jan 2, 2009 after serving as head coach of the team's AHL club, the Peoria Rivermen.

This season, Peoria has posted a 19-13-1-2 record combining for a 62-44-3-6 (.578%) overall mark in two seasons with Payne behind the bench. In his first year (2008-09) as an AHL head coach, Payne guided the Rivermen to a 43-31-2-4 record and returned Peoria to the postseason following a two-year drought.

Don't see them choosing Boucher over Payne at this point.

Calgary Flames

Sutter: Don't see him getting fired unless his brother is fired first.

Toronto: Don't see Wilson getting fired after his Olympic success

Tampa Bay Lightning

Rick Tocchet: Don't see him fired yet

Florida Panthers

Peter DeBoer: team sucks, no reason to fire him

Carolina Hurricanes

The revolving door has Paul Maurice back and I don't see him getting fired with his late season surge

New York Islanders

Scott Gordon: team sucks, no reason to fire him

Atlanta Thrashers

John Anderson

The Atlanta Thrashers named John Anderson the fourth head coach in team history on June 20, 2008.

Anderson won five championships in 13 seasons as a head coach and most recently guided the Chicago Wolves to the American Hockey League’s 2008 Calder Cup Championship. He has 30 years of experience in professional hockey as a player and coach, including the past 11 years as head coach of the Wolves, the Thrashers primary minor-league affiliate since 2001. During his tenure with Chicago, he earned a 506-283-99 regular-season record, a 105-60 post-season record and captured two Calder Cups (2008, 2002) and two Turner Cups (2000, 1998) when the team was a member of the International Hockey League. Anderson earned his first of five league titles as a head coach with the Quad City Mallards of the Colonial Hockey League in 1997.

Throughout his 13 seasons as a head coach, Anderson made the playoffs on 12 occasions, including 10 of his 11 seasons with the Wolves. Overall, he led his teams to the league finals eight times and advanced to the conference finals 10 times. He won 40-or-more games in a season 10 times, including 50-or-more wins on four occasions, and reached the 100-point mark seven times. He is also the Wolves all-time leader in regular-season wins (506) and playoff wins (105).

I don't see him being fired when he has a mediocre team to work with.

All in all, I don't see anybody looking to hire Guy Boucher. So I think most of you's can settle down, he isn't going to be scooped up just yet.

Old
04-08-2010, 11:48 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Amazing how many assumptions are being made in here. Boucher is not gone and likely will not be. Has his team had a good year in the AHL? Yes. Does this mean he will be given an NHL contract? No. How many head coaching jobs will be available this summer? Of those, how many will go to a rookie coach? Probably not many if any.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 11:51 AM
habs1988

What is interesting in the case of Boucher is this :

Lever was hired to win. He wants to win to prove that he belongs to NHL.

Boucher was hired to develop players. It's his passion. He's not there to only win, but to develop.

Boucher is VERY smart. He knows that if he accepts a job in the NHL as head coach, maybe he couldn't handle this job right now. He wants to be 100% sure to be ready. And he's not and he knows it.

I give him 2 years before being assistant coach, then the year after, he's the head coach because I don't expect JM to coach for 5 years except if he brings us to another level in the next years (see Conference Championship).

habs1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 12:03 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
I don't deny he is getting on the radar. There have just been more coaches that have done more than him at this point. Lets take a look at who needs a coach.
Randy Carlyle and Rick Tocchet. 2 great candidates to be fired. How's Tortorella doing if he doesn't make the playoffs? With the media circus that will most likely be happening if he doesn't? Are you that sure about Quinn? At worst, can Quinn convince the management to get Boucher in there promising him that he'd be head coach in 1 year or 2 (though it's really possible that this offer happened already and that Boucher still chose the Habs). Noel is by interim. Though would they replace a rookie by another rookie? Maybe not, still Noel is by interim. And Sutter.....well there's a nice possibility as well.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 04-08-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 12:05 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:

(...)

... Anaheim

Randy Carlyle: not going anywhere imo...

(...)

... Calgary Flames

Sutter: Don't see him getting fired unless his brother is fired first...

(...)

... Tampa Bay

Lightning Rick Tocchet: Don't see him fired yet...

(...)

... All in all, I don't see anybody looking to hire Guy Boucher. So I think most of you's can settle down, he isn't going to be scooped up just yet.
Good read.

Two quick comments:

(1) Regarding "... Calgary Flames Sutter: Don't see him getting fired unless his brother is fired first...": I would not be surprised if the Flames’ president, gm and coach get fired. The differential between "October expectations" and their recent elimination is huge.

(2) I was somewhat playing the Devil's advocate here; I also think that Boucher will be Hamilton’s head coach in 2010-11. The risk of losing him this summer is there but it’s almost insignificant.

However, beyond 2010-11 and if Boucher keeps showing good signs, I expect him to be in the NHL... hopefully it will be with (assistant/associate/head coach... whatever his title!) Montreal!

Edit:

I just read Whitesnake's post and I agree with him: Randy Carlyle and Rick Tocchet’s jobs are not “safe”.

Last edited by Kjell Dahlin: 04-08-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old
04-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
Boucher is being groomed as our next coach, Gauthier can't be so blind as to not see that.
Exactly, I am certain Boucher wants to stay and that Gauthier is licking his chops at the image of Boucher as coach.

Rise from the Ashes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 12:20 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Randy Carlyle and Rick Tocchet. 2 great candidates to be fired. How's Tortorella doing if he doesn't make the playoffs? Are you that sure about Quinn? At worst, can Quinn convince the management to get Boucher in there promising him that he'd be head coach in 1 year or 2 (though it's really possible that this offer happened already and that Boucher still chose the Habs). Noel is by interim. Though would they replace a rookie by another rookie? Maybe not, still Noel is by interim. And Sutter.....well there's a nice possibility as well.
I agree Tocchet is on shaky ground but its largely because of his relationship with his GM. Lawton should have never fired Wes Walz. They were in the thick of things until he did that. Tocchet also got Stamkos to have a break out year.

Tampa could be in for wholesale changes but if Lawton is still in charge, I don't see Gauthier being too happy about wanting to give them the right to speak with him given our recent history.

Quinn is an awful outdated coach and shouldn't be in this league but I can't see them hiring Boucher when they have Renney there.

I forgot about Torts but New York is about big splash and names and I don't see Boucher going there. Sutter is a possibility to get fired but I think they wait one more year.

I just don't see him going anywhere this year.