Anyone know who that was???

Closed Thread

Old
05-05-2004, 05:28 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Anyone know who that was???

One of the Islander's late round Russians from a few years back (Volkov, Gorbunov???) had a real breakout season this year. Does anyone know who that was and what his stats were???

Thanks in advance!

Old
05-07-2004, 06:00 PM
wilka91*

Are you talking about Oleg Kvasha?

He's the only Russian there, but he was drafted by Florida.

He had 16 goals and 51 points this season.

Old
05-08-2004, 04:27 PM
Soyuz

You are probably talking about Volkov. He had a good season, but he didn't breakout. He broke out before the draft, and just delivered another solid season with Salavat Yulayev. Gorbunov had a poor season, and has been released by CSKA Moscow - some problems with the coach I think. He played for CSKA 2 and played great, but Tikhonov didn't like him any more.

Old
05-08-2004, 07:39 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soyuz
You are probably talking about Volkov. He had a good season, but he didn't breakout. He broke out before the draft, and just delivered another solid season with Salavat Yulayev. Gorbunov had a poor season, and has been released by CSKA Moscow - some problems with the coach I think. He played for CSKA 2 and played great, but Tikhonov didn't like him any more.

I have a game of Salavat on tape, those green uniforms are great! But Volkov wasn't all that impressive from what I saw.

Old
05-09-2004, 10:12 PM
Soyuz

It is difficult to judge a player from a single game. The fact remains that he is one of Salavat's top forwards, often skating on the top line. He has above average speed, good puck handling, but isn't physically sturdy and doesn't have that great take off speed he needs, and tends to try to often do things himself. He was one of the team's leaders in production - 24 points (11+13) in 45 games. Salavat is a defensively oriented squad, so these numbers are pretty good. Good enough to make him tied for second in goals - though they were pretty well distributed between 6 guys (13, 11, 11, 10, 10, 10). One thing he also did is improve on his last season numbers by a lot and more importantly boosted his ice time. If he keeps his head on straight and continues to develop in Ufa, he will be fine. If he signs a fat contract with a big team, he might get a lot less ice time. We'll see what happens. For now, I think he is still under contract with Ufa for at least another season or two.

Closed Thread