HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Enough is enough

Old
04-07-2010, 06:59 PM
Shanty
Just chip and chase.

vCash: 500
Enough is enough

This is not a "bash Wilson thread". At least not to start...

This team cannot function under his style of coaching. This is a team that is being built from the net out, yet we are playing a high flying high-risk offensive game?

I can see Wilson's game working well in... I don't know, Washingtub? He can coach players with high powered offensive skills. He can teach a team that's going to win the majority of their games 4-3, 5-2. The Leafs are not that kind of team, that much is clear. But that is not even the issue.

The issue that I see with Wilson is this:

He absolutely refuses to change ANYTHING about his coaching style to help suit what he has and will have within this team.

We are not going to win the majority of our games 5-3. We are going to win the majority of our games 2-1, 3-1. We need a coach who teaches players to wait for their opportunities, instead of trying to make them out of nothing. Most of the goals we've given up this year have been odd-man rushes, and goals on the PK. What does that tell us? It tells us we aren't focusing on our defense nearly enough.

It's very simple. When you're built from the net out, you have to coach from the net out.

Shanty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 07:01 PM
Jerkini

No point dumping him at this point. Let him finish off the season, start next year and if the team starts off like we did this season, then Burke has no choice.

Last edited by Jerkini: 04-07-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 07:01 PM
robr00

The team sucks

robr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 07:05 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
No point dumping him at this point. Let him finish off the season, start next year and the team starts off like we did this season, then Burke has no choice.
This is what will happen I figure.

Burke will do whatever he plans on doing in the summer, then it will be up to Wilson to do something with the roster.

04-07-2010, 07:12 PM
Hero
Buffy is Back

Once Burke has his roster then we can see what RW is capable of.

Even so RW has not been doing his part I feel.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 07:15 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
This is what will happen I figure.

Burke will do whatever he plans on doing in the summer, then it will be up to Wilson to do something with the roster.
Pretty much. Would be nice to finish the season strong. But what they do next fall will matter more. Wilson will have a much shorter leash next season.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 07:32 PM
TorFC-TML*

Wilson is the biggest example of 'Blue and White disease' left on this team.

Burke has purged almost every single piece of the Leafs team he inherited. Kabarle sounds to be as good as gone, so all that is left is Wilson.

The team looks absolutely pathetic on the power play. Hopeless, aimless, there arent enough adjectives to describe how useless Wilson and his special teams are.

Ron Wilson returning for training camp would be a complete slap in the face of Leaf fans.

Burke talks about players who are used to losing souring the dressing room, well how about the coach? Not only is he accustomed to losing, considering all his sarcastic jokes with the media, he seems to think its kind of funny

TorFC-TML* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 07:41 PM
ryno23

Who was the coach of the last team to have the last ranked PP and PK? Guess who?? Mr Wilson in Anaheim I rest my case.

He is an old school coach who cannot relate to young players. Why did he break up the Kessel - Bozak - Kulemin line about 3 or 4 games ago and put the Frat line together???? Are we not supposed to be building for the future wouldn't you want to keep these guys together and get them some chemistry for next year?

I don't see what his love affair with Mitchell is? Watch when we get scored against 75% of the time he comes back with his 4th line.

Look at all the young coaches Sacco, Clousten, Bylsma etc...they relate to the players and bring that new thinking to the game.

I think we need to wipe the coaching staff clean and start the year fresh

ryno23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 07:42 PM
HockeyAustralia

Team USA.

thread closed

HockeyAustralia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Transplanted Caper

His whining about the power play last night was among the dumbest crap he's ever spouted.

So...were the players not listening the last 162 games, or are you telling them to play different than what you've set up for them?

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorFC-TML View Post
Wilson is the biggest example of 'Blue and White disease' left on this team.

Burke has purged almost every single piece of the Leafs team he inherited. Kabarle sounds to be as good as gone, so all that is left is Wilson.

The team looks absolutely pathetic on the power play. Hopeless, aimless, there arent enough adjectives to describe how useless Wilson and his special teams are.

Ron Wilson returning for training camp would be a complete slap in the face of Leaf fans.

Burke talks about players who are used to losing souring the dressing room, well how about the coach? Not only is he accustomed to losing, considering all his sarcastic jokes with the media, he seems to think its kind of funny

Do you even know what the definition of Blue and white disease is?

Rare Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 07:53 PM
KuleminFan41

HAHAHAHAH really? The season is over and yet complaints? Jeeze, you expect a team full of"nobodies" to be a playoff contendor?Come on boys don't be that dumb fan the Leafs are associated with some how. I don't understand all the hate, people expect Wilson to be a miracle worker? Goodness , he has 2 great players and all people want is a stanley cup right away.

GIVE IT SOME TIME!!!! Even next year will be a tough one, you NEED stability though I do think we'll add a few pieces to the puzzle. Next season will be the true test I'm assuming so we will see....next year.

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 07:53 PM
Daisy Jane
Busy Leafy Summer ♥

Um.
once again - the question has to be asked.

Who the heck do you hire to replace him?

When you can come up with a legitimate coaching possiblity who can work with young players [because this is how the team is going to be next season], let me know, and then we can discuss

And the team does, somewhat buy into the philosophy. But they are young. And small.

Daisy Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 07:56 PM
Paladin2799

Why should wilson change his system in order to accomidate for the slugs who cannot play it?

The whole point of this season was to see who could play with the system that wilson and burke want to implement.

Those that cannot play the high tempo aggressive forecheck system that we play will be moved out. Right now the team plays hard and fast, but cannot seem to put the puck in the net. That will come with time and more skill.

Paladin2799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 07:59 PM
KuleminFan41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin2799 View Post
Why should wilson change his system in order to accomidate for the slugs who cannot play it?

The whole point of this season was to see who could play with the system that wilson and burke want to implement.

Those that cannot play the high tempo aggressive forecheck system that we play will be moved out. Right now the team plays hard and fast, but cannot seem to put the puck in the net. That will come with time and more skill.
The problem is no one NO ONE wants to wait and give it time. Everyone wants the Stanley Cup right now

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 08:00 PM
Daisy Jane
Busy Leafy Summer ♥

Well to be fair, it's been 42 years + 1 lockout.
But I agree KuleminFan. .

Old
04-07-2010, 08:00 PM
Heatleys Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapniappe View Post
Um.
once again - the question has to be asked.

Who the heck do you hire to replace him?

When you can come up with a legitimate coaching possiblity who can work with young players [because this is how the team is going to be next season], let me know, and then we can discuss

And the team does, somewhat buy into the philosophy. But they are young. And small.
Dale Hunter would be a great candidate

Want a guy who develops top flight NHL'ers? Dale Hunter

Want a guy who plays a tough, puck possession style? Dale Hunter

Burke and Hunter - what a great combo that is

Heatleys Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Daisy Jane
Busy Leafy Summer ♥

Heatley's Eye, who is Dale Hunter? Is he available?
[I feel that is a dumb question - but I still need to ask ]

Old
04-07-2010, 08:13 PM
Shanty
Just chip and chase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin2799 View Post

But that's the thing, Burke builds from the net out, Wilson's LAST THOUGHT in coaching is about defense.

Old
04-07-2010, 08:18 PM
Heatleys Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapniappe View Post
Heatley's Eye, who is Dale Hunter? Is he available?
[I feel that is a dumb question - but I still need to ask ]
He is the head coach of the London Knights

1 Mem Cup and is a great mentor and leader - his players respect him

The Knights are always feisty and skilled - what Burke wants

Dale Hunter had a very good NHL career also = was a great player at one point

Old
04-07-2010, 08:33 PM
Shanty
Just chip and chase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatleys Eye View Post
He is the head coach of the London Knights

1 Mem Cup and is a great mentor and leader - his players respect him

The Knights are always feisty and skilled - what Burke wants

Dale Hunter had a very good NHL career also = was a great player at one point
Hmmm. I like it...

Old
04-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Al14

Burke is too stubborn to fire Wilson and hire Hunter!

Hunter will end up coaching another NHL team to the Stanley Cup before Wilson even has a sniff!

Al14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 08:50 PM
Loso

It's pretty retarted that he broke the KBK line when they were playing really well together and now none the of the lines have chemistry..no point in shaking things up when they were going pretty well

Loso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Heatleys Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al14 View Post
Burke is too stubborn to fire Wilson and hire Hunter!

Hunter will end up coaching another NHL team to the Stanley Cup before Wilson even has a sniff!
I'm a big Hunter fan - his players go to war for him every night - that is what I'd like to see in Toronto again.

Reminds me of the Burns era - players battled like warriors and won games with heart

Old
04-07-2010, 08:56 PM
Al14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatleys Eye View Post
I'm a big Hunter fan - his players go to war for him every night - that is what I'd like to see in Toronto again.

Reminds me of the Burns era - players battled like warriors and won games with heart
You bet the players play hard for Hunter! Wilson causes his players to stop caring about winning!

Al14 is offline   Reply With Quote