HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Enough is enough

Old
04-07-2010, 09:03 PM
daveleaf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapniappe View Post
Um.
once again - the question has to be asked.

Who the heck do you hire to replace him?

When you can come up with a legitimate coaching possiblity who can work with young players [because this is how the team is going to be next season], let me know, and then we can discuss

And the team does, somewhat buy into the philosophy. But they are young. And small.
Everytime I hear this I think there is one in there back yard in Oakville that for some reason gets over looked. Larry Robinson. Won several cups as a player and one as a coach. Great teacher and has respect from the players. He's my pick.

Napolean has to go! Quote tonight from the hockey game. Last team to finish last in the PP and PK. 94-95 Ducks. Coached by none else but Ron Wilson aka. Naploean

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 09:03 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

We do not want a rookie coach! We do not want a rookie coach! We do not want a rookie coach!We do not want a rookie coach! We do not want a rookie coach! We do not want a rookie coach!We do not want a rookie coach! We do not want a rookie coach! We do not want a rookie coach!We do not want a rookie coach! We do not want a rookie coach! We do not want a rookie coach!

I have been critical of Wilson and his special teams for two seasons. He needs to produce next year for sure, but, we really don't want a coach who has never coached at the pro level. Save that for other markets.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 09:05 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post
Everytime I hear this I think there is one in there back yard in Oakville that for some reason gets over looked. Larry Robinson. Won several cups as a player and one as a coach. Great teacher and has respect from the players. He's my pick.

Napolean has to go! Quote tonight from the hockey game. Last team to finish last in the PP and PK. 94-95 Ducks. Coached by none else but Ron Wilson aka. Naploean
I'm wondering why he is also known as Napolean?

Old
04-07-2010, 09:06 PM
Kyo

Who's to say that Hunter is willing to leave the Knights where he's been an amazing coach and join the Leafs? Would the Knights let him leave? There are many factors to this.

Kyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 09:11 PM
Heatleys Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyo View Post
Who's to say that Hunter is willing to leave the Knights where he's been an amazing coach and join the Leafs? Would the Knights let him leave? There are many factors to this.
There are - but money talks and if he is making what Wilson is per year - that is some huge incentive. He can always go back to London if it doesn't work

The guy has the respect of his guys and is worth at least talking to and see if he'd want to move

DeBoer also said he wouldn't leave Kitchener many times. He's done a decent job in Florida considering what he has to work with. His team competes at least.

Heatleys Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 09:12 PM
BlueMapleDawg

Are people still defending Wilson?!

HE COULDN'T EVEN WIN WITH THE ****IN' SAN JOSE SHARKS!

Don't give me the Team USA bull****. The team did well because they were an excellent team.

He's trash! "I have 500 wins RAH RAH RAH!"

How many Cups there Wilson?

BlueMapleDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 09:14 PM
Heatleys Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorewhining View Post
We do not want a rookie coach! We do not want a rookie coach! We do not want a rookie coach!We do not want a rookie coach! We do not want a rookie coach! We do not want a rookie coach!We do not want a rookie coach! We do not want a rookie coach! We do not want a rookie coach!We do not want a rookie coach! We do not want a rookie coach! We do not want a rookie coach!

I have been critical of Wilson and his special teams for two seasons. He needs to produce next year for sure, but, we really don't want a coach who has never coached at the pro level. Save that for other markets.

Carlyle was a rookie coach when he led the Ducks to the Cup was he not?

Burke will insulate a head coach better than any GM in the league - why do you think there are no fire Wilson comments in the paper? Burke already put that fire out long before a spark could transform to a flame

Old
04-07-2010, 09:16 PM
Prophet Kadri

No, Dale Hunter is not a suitable coach for the leafs.

He rides his star players and the Leafs have no Star players.

Prophet Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 09:17 PM
spitfires07

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuleminFan41 View Post
HAHAHAHAH really? The season is over and yet complaints? Jeeze, you expect a team full of"nobodies" to be a playoff contendor?Come on boys don't be that dumb fan the Leafs are associated with some how. I don't understand all the hate, people expect Wilson to be a miracle worker? Goodness , he has 2 great players and all people want is a stanley cup right away.

GIVE IT SOME TIME!!!! Even next year will be a tough one, you NEED stability though I do think we'll add a few pieces to the puzzle. Next season will be the true test I'm assuming so we will see....next year.
this

spitfires07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Shanty
Just chip and chase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatleys Eye View Post

Burke will insulate a head coach better than any GM in the league - why do you think there are no fire Wilson comments in the paper? Burke already put that fire out long before a spark could transform to a flame
Exactly. I've never liked his coaching STYLE in-game, but now I really dislike the way he carries himself. "I have 500, that means something" Yeah, it means you've been coaching good teams for a long time.

Shanty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 09:21 PM
maplelives

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19metallica81 View Post

ya, the leafs ruin star players, let's see what RW does with Kadri

maplelives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 09:36 PM
Heatleys Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19metallica81 View Post

If only he had chemistry with the future star of the Leafs - that Kadri kid

Too bad Hunter hasn't been coaching him in Jr.

If only

Old
04-07-2010, 09:36 PM
HockeyAustralia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMapleDawg View Post
Are people still defending Wilson?!

HE COULDN'T EVEN WIN WITH THE ****IN' SAN JOSE SHARKS!

Don't give me the Team USA bull****. The team did well because they were an excellent team.

He's trash! "I have 500 wins RAH RAH RAH!"

How many Cups there Wilson?
how many cups have the sharks won without Wilson...

HockeyAustralia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 09:40 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatleys Eye View Post

Anaheim is to hockey, what Disneyland is to Toronto. I would not put a rookie coach in Toronto.

Old
04-07-2010, 09:42 PM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post

This.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 09:57 PM
Heatleys Eye

Quote:
Anaheim is to hockey, what Disneyland is to Toronto. I would not put a rookie coach in Toronto.
I disagree and what I said about Burke insulating coaches basically nullifies any concerns you might be thinking of

Hunter would thrive here I think - he has the respect of many people in the hockey world for his power house teams in London since he got there.

Old
04-07-2010, 10:06 PM
Gert B Frobe

Keep Wilson and get rid of everybody on the team except Orr. Clearly his usual 2-5-10 is something that keeps earning him ice time. What a great job tonight with Shelley - clearly a guy that just doesn't like to fight. He was probably so afraid that Orr had no recourse other than to just start punching him.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 10:12 PM
jimmyjames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
Keep Wilson and get rid of everybody on the team except Orr. Clearly his usual 2-5-10 is something that keeps earning him ice time. What a great job tonight with Shelley - clearly a guy that just doesn't like to fight. He was probably so afraid that Orr had no recourse other than to just start punching him.
sorry but i'm having a hard time following you, is this sarcasm? shelley doesn't like to fight? yeah, he's in the the league for his whopping 0 goals and 7 assists this season.

jimmyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 10:16 PM
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjames View Post
sorry but i'm having a hard time following you. shelley doesn't like to fight? yeah, he's in the the league for his whopping 0 goals and 7 assists this season.
since fighting orr and beating him Shelley has looked like he has wanted no part of Orr the last 2 times they have played. Just turns out Orr had to jump him to get him to actually go.

KapG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 10:21 PM
Leaf Army

How stupid is Ron Wilson. Seriously.

The Bozak, Kessel, Kulemin line looked like gold. The team was playing well and winning games. Wilson then gets this bizarre brainwave that it would be a great idea to break them up.

All three players go into a slump and the team starts losing. It's like this idiot wants to lose.

Leaf Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 10:33 PM
The Blue Devil

The reason Wilson split-up the KBK line was to try and get chemistry going with other players, they were already out. He also could have done this to either try and up trade value or to see what some of the kids could bring to the table to try and gauge where their skill level is at to see whether they are worth re-signing or not.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 10:51 PM
Kyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
The reason Wilson split-up the KBK line was to try and get chemistry going with other players, they were already out. He also could have done this to either try and up trade value or to see what some of the kids could bring to the table to try and gauge where their skill level is at to see whether they are worth re-signing or not.
Agreed. The Hanson - Bozak - Stalberg line were doing okay. But then Kessel kinda got into a slump.

Kyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:01 PM
T M L
Next Season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanty View Post
This is not a "bash Wilson thread". At least not to start...

This team cannot function under his style of coaching. This is a team that is being built from the net out, yet we are playing a high flying high-risk offensive game?

I can see Wilson's game working well in... I don't know, Washingtub? He can coach players with high powered offensive skills. He can teach a team that's going to win the majority of their games 4-3, 5-2. The Leafs are not that kind of team, that much is clear. But that is not even the issue.

The issue that I see with Wilson is this:

He absolutely refuses to change ANYTHING about his coaching style to help suit what he has and will have within this team.

We are not going to win the majority of our games 5-3. We are going to win the majority of our games 2-1, 3-1. We need a coach who teaches players to wait for their opportunities, instead of trying to make them out of nothing. Most of the goals we've given up this year have been odd-man rushes, and goals on the PK. What does that tell us? It tells us we aren't focusing on our defense nearly enough.

It's very simple. When you're built from the net out, you have to coach from the net out.
Yup, Wilson needs to go. If it was any other team in the NHL he would have been fired long ago.

The only reason he is still has a job in Toronto is because Burke has been protecting him.

Anyway, he is a major problem there, get rid of him already.

T M L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:12 PM
disgruntleddave

vCash: 50
If we play poorly to start next season, seeing as burke has already traded the team away, I anticipate it's then and only then he'll consider firing Wilson (as he probably should) and finding someone else, depending on who else is out there.

disgruntleddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:15 PM
napoleon in rags
Bernier the boats

Quote:
I'm wondering why he is also known as Napolean?
Cause he's a low down, name-stealing copy cat!

napoleon in rags is offline   Reply With Quote