HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Enough is enough

Old
04-08-2010, 12:44 AM
chx555

vCash: 500
dont worry we have waited 42 years wait few more cuz 2014 Crosby is coming to save us

chx555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 01:00 AM
TheSilencer

I agree to the original post somewhat. Ron wilson is a good coach no doubt, but he NEVER changes his approach..even if his approach is failing

I can't believe our powerplay is so s**t with the players we have..with kessel, kaberle and phaneuf we should be scoring every single time on powerplay. I absolutely HATED when Stalberg was playing with Orr earlier in the season. And sometimes i swear i see Orr and the 4th line way too much on ice rather than the 1st two lines.

Im gonna give Ron wilson the benefit of doubt until we get a legit 1st line i guess. Might as well live with him. RW is burke's homie, so he's never getting fired.

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 01:02 AM
TheSilencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chx555 View Post
dont worry we have waited 42 years wait few more cuz 2014 Crosby is coming to save us
May be our savior is being conceived right now !

Stanley Cup in 20 years

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 01:07 AM
DopeyFish

vCash: 737
as was said in the leafs game today

there's been only one other time in NHL history that a team finished the season last in both powerplay and penalty killing... it was anaheim... and they were coached by ron wilson.

DopeyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 01:20 AM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyo View Post
Who's to say that Hunter is willing to leave the Knights where he's been an amazing coach and join the Leafs? Would the Knights let him leave? There are many factors to this.
He owns the London Knights so I'm pretty sure he'll be able to leave!

OlderTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 01:34 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatleys Eye View Post
I disagree and what I said about Burke insulating coaches basically nullifies any concerns you might be thinking of

Hunter would thrive here I think - he has the respect of many people in the hockey world for his power house teams in London since he got there.
I don't think you can insulate a coach in Toronto. He has to face the press on an hourly basis. Maybe he would work out, I just don't think it is the right way to go right now. Is Hunter any more respected than Brent Sutter was? What about Peter DeBoer? There's so much to learn at the pro level, is this something we are willing to be patient enough with?

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 01:42 AM
Jesus Bacon

you think with a coach that only thinks about offence our power play would be able to do something out there. jeez. i think its a mixture of ****** players and a ****** coach. can't just pin it all on him.

Jesus Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 08:23 AM
KapG

people want hunter to coach here?

I've read some posts from people who watch the knights religiously...he isn't really a good coach if I recall correctly, atleast based on the comments I have read.

The knights are just always stacked with talent.

KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 09:20 AM
Dark Passenger

Im not blaming Wilson for our troubles this year, but Im not a fan of his. I think the days of motivational speaches by the coaching staff is probably long gone and its hard to imagine there is a whole lot of teaching being done when players get to this level. I would say the biggest role the head coach has on a team, is getting the right players out at the right time. Quinn got a lot of stick for not giving Sundin more ice time, but he used to be a master at realizing who was carrying a hot hand any given night and getting that player out on the ice in important situations. Im sick of watching Wallin and Mitchell getting important shifts with no end result.

Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 09:53 AM
BlueBomber76

How come no one has mentioned Bob Boughner.

Young guy who spent a long time in the bigs and played with some great people. Also, he's a young guy who has related well with his team an lead them to a Memorial Cup last year (looking to repeat this year).

He was the type of player that Burke would have loved when he was in the NHL and his team plays with a whole heck of heart. Yes, I know he has Taylor Hall to work with, but there are a number of players on that team that contribute to their success (Not to mention he's been coaching future Leafs Dale Mitchell and Kenny Ryan and formerly Jesse Blacker).

I say Boughner.

BlueBomber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 10:10 AM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

rw has all this summer to get this team sorted out. if things do not pan out quickly now after practically clearing out a whole team and acquiring major pieces (especially up front) and in every other position the only thing that would be left to do is to get rid of the coach.

plain and simple.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 10:11 AM
TML42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army View Post
How stupid is Ron Wilson. Seriously.

The Bozak, Kessel, Kulemin line looked like gold. The team was playing well and winning games. Wilson then gets this bizarre brainwave that it would be a great idea to break them up.

All three players go into a slump and the team starts losing. It's like this idiot wants to lose.

There is a player on that line that stands to get a substantial pay increase this summer by breaking up the line his production has all but disappeared.

That was likely the reason for breaking up the line...

TML42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 10:16 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 10-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post
people want hunter to coach here?

I've read some posts from people who watch the knights religiously...he isn't really a good coach if I recall correctly, atleast based on the comments I have read.

The knights are just always stacked with talent.
Most people have no clue what traits qualify you as a good coach or not.
Doesn't Hunter own the Knights? I imagine he's quite happy where he is.

I believe a decision on Wilson will be made by US Thanksgiving, barring a start like this year.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 10:16 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
How stupid is Ron Wilson. Seriously.

The Bozak, Kessel, Kulemin line looked like gold. The team was playing well and winning games. Wilson then gets this bizarre brainwave that it would be a great idea to break them up.

All three players go into a slump and the team starts losing. It's like this idiot wants to lose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
The reason Wilson split-up the KBK line was to try and get chemistry going with other players, they were already out. He also could have done this to either try and up trade value or to see what some of the kids could bring to the table to try and gauge where their skill level is at to see whether they are worth re-signing or not.
I agree. I think it was giving Grabs a chance to play with Kessel to see if he could up his game with better talent. It was also an evaluation of how well Bozak could play when not playing with Kessel, and to see if Bozak could up Stahlberg's game.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 10:17 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 10-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML42 View Post
There is a player on that line that stands to get a substantial pay increase this summer by breaking up the line his production has all but disappeared.

That was likely the reason for breaking up the line...
What??? This place never disappoints.

Old
04-08-2010, 10:30 AM
bionic

Ron Wilson will get a chance next year to see what he can do with a fresh group of young players. I'm a fan of Wilson,but I do agree he is starting to wear thin. If the leafs dont get out to a great start next season Brian Burke will have a tough decision to make about the future of Wilson as a coach.

bionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 10:36 AM
BlueBomber76

Another little bit to back up my claim that Bob Boughner would make an excellent candidate.

Quote:
Coaching career

In 2007-2008, he coached the Spitfires to the second best regular season finish in their history with 94 points, and was honored as OHL and CHL Coach of the Year.

On April 15, 2009, Boughner was named the OHL's coach of the year for the second year in a row.

On May 8, 2009, he coached the Windsor Spitfires to their first OHL championship in 21 years after finishing the regular season with a league best 115 points. Also, that same year went on to win Windsor's first Memorial Cup, becoming the first team to lose the first two games of the tournament and still win the Cup.

On June 24, 2009, he was selected by Hockey Canada to coach the National Under-18 hockey team at the Memorial of Ivan Hlinka Tournament. The team went on to dominate by going undefeated and won gold at the tournament.
Do you think he would be able to bring the best out of our kids?

BlueBomber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 10:47 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 10-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBomber76 View Post
Another little bit to back up my claim that Bob Boughner would make an excellent candidate.

Do you think he would be able to bring the best out of our kids?
Wasn't he suspended for some reason a couple years ago?

IMO, Toronto is not the market for rookie management.

Old
04-08-2010, 10:51 AM
Hurt

John Stevens? *ducks*

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 11:36 AM
The Blue Devil

For the RW haters, there is a positive going forward to look for. Remember when BB said he would get rid of a team before the coach, well he has gotten rid of the team.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 11:42 AM
maplelives

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
For the RW haters, there is a positive going forward to look for. Remember when BB said he would get rid of a team before the coach, well he has gotten rid of the team.
they will find more excuses

maplelives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 11:42 AM
Woll Smoth

Ron wilson gets 2-3 month into next season, if the team is doing poorly still he's gone, it only makes sense.

Woll Smoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Fenton

I can't blame coaching for the position we are in. We just don't have the players.

Look at our centers, Mitchell, Wallin, Grabovski. All of them have been ass this year. We have three wingers who have played at or above their expectations, Orr, Kessel and Kulemin. Everyone else is barely NHL material.

Leafs are banking big time on Kadri next season. I just hope he can live up to expectations.

Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 12:03 PM
Shanty
Just chip and chase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
I can't blame coaching for the position we are in. We just don't have the players.

Look at our centers, Mitchell, Wallin, Grabovski. All of them have been ass this year. We have three wingers who have played at or above their expectations, Orr, Kessel and Kulemin. Everyone else is barely NHL material.

Leafs are banking big time on Kadri next season. I just hope he can live up to expectations.
But this is my point! When you don't have the players to play the style you want, you have to change something. Is it not easier for one man to change his ideas than 18 guys to change the way they play hockey?

Shanty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 12:05 PM
bobermay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woll Smoth View Post
Ron wilson gets 2-3 month into next season, if the team is doing poorly still he's gone, it only makes sense.
I agree. I like Ron Wilson's style. He wants to play like the Redwings, he's said this over and over.

The players arn't buying into the system.

If you look at the American Olympic team, the players bought into the system. For whatever reason, the Toronto Maple Leafs cannot.

And, who out there and available that has a better track record than Ron Wilson?

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote