HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I miss Mats

Old
04-08-2010, 08:09 AM
GilmourClarkScores

vCash: 500
Best Leaf ever. It's a shame the way the relationship ended.

GilmourClarkScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 08:22 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch Imlach View Post
Kessel had 25 assists to go with the 30 goals.
Dont compare the two. I'd take a 22 y/o Sundin over a 22 y/o Kessel ANY day of the week (and twice on Saturdays)

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 08:54 AM
Brozak
i scoreded a goal

The only player in the Leafs' recent memory that could actually handle a one timer with conviction.

God bless you, Sundin.

Brozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 08:59 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs4Eva View Post
I don't mind johnny malkin..... mainly because every time i wonder why the heck we might have him on the team he goes all datsuyk on me

ala

lol in all seriousness i think john mitchell is a pretty decent bottom six guy and MAN IS HE CHEAP.... so he's decentish in my books
If he would just PLAY bottom 6 minutes. Last night: 17:09

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 09:13 AM
Daisy Joy
Jerry D'asigo

How is he a traitor?

It is not HIS job to make it easier for management to fix their mistakes. It's not HIS job to think "Yeah. you know. A first round pick will do wonders for this team, let me sacrifice myself, and let myself be traded, so the fans love me, and forget everything ELSE I've done for the team." Give me a freaking break.

Sundin's job was to captain the team [which he did], score goals [which he did], and lead us into the playoffs [which he did]. I'm just sad that he didn't get to win us a cup, or have a chance to win won. [Why he picked Vancouver of all teams is beyond me; I really didn't see them going deep that year].

I miss Mats too, one of my favourite players, but as Burke had said, that era was gone. It's comments like "he's a traitor" and people who boo people like McCabe [for WHAT?], and hate Kaberle for refusing to let himself be traded for Jeff Carter and a FRP that blow my mind. THEY don't have to do ANYTHING but show up and play. [And I can't talk much about McCabes last two-ish years here, I wasn't in the country and not following hockey much], but I'm certain that's what they all did.

Daisy Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 09:15 AM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th4thurt View Post
If he would just PLAY bottom 6 minutes. Last night: 17:09
He and Orr were the only two forwards that deserved ice, the rest of them were lacking big-time.

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 09:20 AM
Corleone

Send a message via MSN to Corleone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
He and Orr were the only two forwards that deserved ice, the rest of them were lacking big-time.

Yeah because taking instigator penalties really warrents more ice time...................

Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 09:23 AM
bobermay

I honestly think Patrik Berglund has the potential to be the next Sundin'ish' player.

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 10:15 AM
Tombernack

I wasn't impressed by Mats decisions the last few years, but its Mats ****in' Sundin. Get over it.

The only thing he owed us was to try and win games and he did that for more than a decade. He did not owe MLSE a get out of jail free card for mismanaging this team so badly. We (as fans) are even with Mats Sundin. He got money and love, we got a competitive team and memories while he was here.

One of the greatest to ever wear our colors and there is something seriously wrong with you if you can never forgive the guy (or you're 10 years old).

Tombernack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 10:21 AM
Revolt

My favorite player, was a sad day when he left Toronto.

Wish he would come back for 1 year and retire as a leaf

Revolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 10:33 AM
Leafs4Life77

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Bay View Post
Yea, 6.5 superskilled centerman don't grow on trees. It may be a while till we see someone like him around these parts again.

It's shame 98% of the fanbase was trying to shove the guy out of town. Now we see what he really meant to this team.
ditto for McCabe, Antropov, Tucker, Kubina, and soon to be Kaberle.

Leafs4Life77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 10:38 AM
kfernandes29

I was at "The Return" when he came back as a Canuck. Probably the greatest hockey memory I have, and I have a ton. (ie. being at the World Cup Of Hockey Finals in '04)

The moment he scored, I cheered like I had never cheered before. The only time I have ever cheered for a Leafs loss.

It's really sad how people turned on him. Don't know if we'll ever see a player like him in Blue & White again.

kfernandes29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 10:44 AM
PasDaSquini

Mats will always be my favourite leaf. I was not blessed to see other great leafs before him stupid age. Mats going to Vancouver is a wash in my eyes, everyone did push him out of town.

PasDaSquini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 10:47 AM
Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_TheGreat View Post
I remember him as a traitor, good riddance
Oh? You mean asking him to leave even though WE gave him the no-trade clause?

Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 10:56 AM
Shanty
Just chip and chase.

I'll be getting a Sundin jersey before I get any other Leafs jersey.

Shanty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 10:57 AM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
IM PROBABLY ONE OF THE FEW LAST YEAR,or even this year TO BEG TO HAVE MATS BACK WOULD HAVE BEEN GREAT WITH KESSEL I MISS YOU MATS

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 11:00 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_TheGreat View Post
I remember him as a traitor, good riddance
Why? Because he played 13 great seasons for us? Because he was possibly the best player in Leafs history? Because he wouldn't wave his no-trade clause that we gave him because he wanted to play here? Or because he left for his final season because he knew that we had no chance of making the playoffs with or without him?

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 11:20 AM
KuleminFan41

Its an EMBARRASEMENT for anyone to put Sundin at fault here, its pure shame that some fans don't like him because he's a "traitor". Going to Vancouver I'm glad he did for all those stupid STUPID fans that kept wanting him to trade when we were few points out of a playoff spot at the time of the deadline I believe. Some Leaf fans make me sick to my stomach to the point where I don't even think they're Leaf fans even. I can't believe some people would just want to throw him away . Fact is if we traded him the same fans would boo him and say he's stupid for wanting a trade, so he stays and still gets hated by some really STUPID FANS.

At the end of the day it was a lose lose for Mats, good for him for staying and great that he went to play one more season. The guy doesn't owe us anything, he did everything for the club carried the team on his back by himself most nights , the greatest Leaf ever well at least very close with Doug Gilmour and Wendel Clark. Some fans are straight up stupid boo players for wanting the Leafs to win and wanting to win with them...yah great logic in who you select to boo

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 11:23 AM
Jordan

Sundin more than earned the right to make the decision he made. The sour part is that I think it was obvious to all but him that it was time for both sides to move on.

The team needed to get younger and start over and hopefully Mats wanted to win a ring. It's just unfortunate that things went down the way they did. Mishandled by both sides.

In time, I think the wounds and bitter feelings will heal and we'll all be able to look back on a tremendous player that we were fortunate enough to watch play for so many years.

Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 11:34 AM
Faded Kilt

What the fans were asking Mats Sundin to do can be likened to a wife demanding that a husband who loves her should have a baby with another woman and with no reassurances of ever coming back, give her the baby. Mats was totally dedicated to being the captain of the Maple Leafs. It was obvious that leaving tore a big hole in him. He was the best captain I can remember. The fans who can only think of the benefit he would bring if he left have no gratitude, no appreciation for what he gave for so many years.

Faded Kilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 11:43 AM
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
Certainly didn't like the way things ended. Sure would have liked him to take a trade and then we'd have more to build with right now. Still a great player and we sure could use him at this point. Someone that can make things happen out there and fight through the defence. Sadly we'll have to get by without him.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Wendel09

Sundin said he never wanted to be a rental, which is why he didnt waive his NTC. But then sits out half a season, signs with the Canucks for a playoff push and makes an easy few mill. If that never happened i'd be bowing down like everyone else regarding Sundin. But I'm a fan of the leafs, if players need to go to make the team better I'm all for it. Accepting the trade to a contender would've helped him that year, and the leafs.

my 2 cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Bay View Post
How?......Tell me how.

You guys are just selfish fans, Who cared more about the return for Sundin than the man himself.

Wendel09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 11:48 AM
The Blue Devil

Reading this thread brought tears to my eyes.
I can't believe that there are so many people hating on him, he's done more for this team then anyone realizes. I wish that he was on the team right now.

Imagine:
Kulemin-Sundin-Kessel
Stalberg-Bozak-Hanson

Getr done BB. For 1 season, let Kadri develop a year with the Marlies.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 11:50 AM
Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
Reading this thread brought tears to my eyes.
I can't believe that there are so many people hating on him, he's done more for this team then anyone realizes. I wish that he was on the team right now.

Imagine:
Kulemin-Sundin-Kessel
Stalberg-Bozak-Hanson

Getr done BB. For 1 season, let Kadri develop a year with the Marlies.
I don't think Sundin would still be at 1st line level anymore. Certainly better than what we have, but what we're doing right now is getting those big minutes to younger players. Sort of counter-productive.

Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 12:01 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
I don't think Sundin would still be at 1st line level anymore. Certainly better than what we have, but what we're doing right now is getting those big minutes to younger players. Sort of counter-productive.
True, but this was more of a figurative thing, like if this was the Sundin of a couple of years ago.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote