HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Roman Josi

Old
10-19-2008, 12:38 PM
Fat Damon

vCash: 500
Roman Josi

When do you think that he will play in the NHL? This year he has already 3 Goals and 3 Assists in 14 games for SC Bern so far. Do you think next year he should play first in AHL?

Fat Damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 09:50 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

He certainly has the mobility and offensive tools necessary to be a modern NHL defenseman. I've always read that his positional play is a bit suspect, so that's probably something he'll need to work on. He also needs to develop a bit more of a mean streak (a la Jon Blum) to really secure himself a roster spot.

Josi is a prospect that the organization really likes, and we already have an excellent defensive unit, so they're going to take their time with him and make sure he develops properly. They'll let him play out his contract in Switzerland (which I think runs through next year, but I'm not sure), and then bring him over. So the answer to your first question is "no."

But to answer your first question, I'd say 2-3 years max.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 01:59 PM
SwissButch
in CA OCT-NOV '12

Josi had had a really bad start into the season. His nowhere near from his perfemance from last season. Dont call to much on this 6 points so far. When I right remeber, all of those have been PP-points. And he's struggling defensivly badly at the momement.

I don't think he'll be ready for nhl next year. But I hope for him, that he goes overseas. He need to learn to use his budy. This is something you can't learn in switzerland. And yes, his contract is finished at the end of the season.

SwissButch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 12:37 PM
harry 93

Josi was by far the best defensman when Bern played the Rangers. He played fearless and without any respect. That's everything I`ve seen from him this season.

harry 93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 07:53 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Josi scored the game-tying goal yesterday in Bern's 7-5 win over HV71.

Old
12-03-2008, 01:14 AM
SwissButch
in CA OCT-NOV '12

After a really slow start into the season, Josi put it together again. In the past few weekes, he's been our best overall defender again. Offensivly he's been great all season long, but he used to struggling defensivly. But he got his confidence back and shutdowns the opposites topline each game.

In 27 games he got 6 goals for 20 points and is plus-5

Old
12-03-2008, 07:43 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I said at the draft he sounds like a Hamhuis clone. I think the comparison still holds true right now.

12-03-2008, 10:01 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I said at the draft he sounds like a Hamhuis clone. I think the comparison still holds true right now.
Very much disagree. Josi is faster and MUCH more offensively skilled. He's the defenseman Koistinen wants to be.

Old
12-03-2008, 06:06 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Very much disagree. Josi is faster and MUCH more offensively skilled. He's the defenseman Koistinen wants to be.
Huh?

Hamhuis was every bit an offensive defensemen early on. He put up fantastic numbers in the WHL. His only glaring weakness offensively is a poor shot. Other than that, he is probably a mid 30s to 40 point defenseman in the NHL. The only reason he isn't right now is because Trotz uses him so conservatively due to our wealth of offensive blueline talent over the years. You know this, and I know this. Josi WANTS to become the defenseman Hamhuis is both offensively and defensively at the NHL level. The speed argument I will concede, but not the offensive argument.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 08:26 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I have to agree with Enoch. Hamhuis does have good offensive skills, heck, his shot isn't bad, it's just not Weber's.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 08:56 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I have to agree with Enoch. Hamhuis does have good offensive skills, heck, his shot isn't bad, it's just not Weber's.
I can agree with this. His shot isn't great, but it is probably around league average...especially on the blueline.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 04:10 AM
SwissButch
in CA OCT-NOV '12

Good read of him

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...html?tx_ttnews[backPid]=955&cHash=1a550480a2

Old
03-04-2009, 05:41 AM
SwissButch
in CA OCT-NOV '12

The Swiss qualification ended a week ago. Josi got better and better when the season progressed. He ended up as our 2nd best defense scorrer with 7 goals and 24 points in 42 games along with just 16 PIM. He didn't manage any points in the first three PO games, but is fairley our best defenseman in our own zone.

He didn't sign a contract for next season at this point. So its possible he'll go overseas this upcomming summer.

Old
04-10-2009, 06:35 PM
tycho

According to a Swiss newspaper [1] your 2008 draft and possible world championship participant Roman Josi has decided to not yet make the move to north America. Instead he will stay another year in Switzerland and fulfill his contract (until 2010) with SC Bern.

[1] http://www.blick.ch/sport/eishockey/...in-bern-116621 (German)

tycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 09:03 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

thanks for that update. disappointing of course, but glad to see some integrity by obligating his contract

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 09:11 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycho View Post
According to a Swiss newspaper [1] your 2008 draft and possible world championship participant Roman Josi has decided to not yet make the move to north America. Instead he will stay another year in Switzerland and fulfill his contract (until 2010) with SC Bern.

good

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 09:19 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycho View Post

Thanks for the update. Glad he'll honor his contract and hopefully he can put up another good season for SC Bern.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 01:08 PM
SwissButch
in CA OCT-NOV '12

It's kind of wired. Because according to the official HomePage of the SC Bern his contract ended this season ...

http://www.scb.ch/spieler.aspx?ID=12

But I've seen the article in the Blick too. Nothing about this on the official HP.

I'm almost 100% sure his contract ended. But maybe there was a option in the contract for another year.

We'll see what happens

Old
04-15-2009, 06:56 AM
tycho

There was an article [1] on a swiss newspaper on Roman Josi. I'll try to translate:

Young star defies the veterans

With Streit, Von Gunten, Du Bois there are three additional defensemen joining the "Nati" (translators note: the Swiss national team). And Roman Josi from SCB? He's not going to give away his roster spot voluntarily.

SC Bern belongs with two quarter final eliminations in two years to the big losers in Swiss hockey. But one player was able to play himself into international spot light: Roman Josi, best Swiss defender with year of birth 1990.

The young talent was drafted in the second round by the Nashville Predators last summer. And Josi originally wanted to make the move to north America after this season. But now he has decided to stay another season with SCB.

Josi early decided to pull all stops on hockey. He aborted his four year (sports) apprenticeship as merchant (translators note: it's a special apprenticeship for young, talented athletes where they are able to practice their sport and make a normal apprenticeship as most of the other young people do in Switzerland.) after two years to concentrate on his hockey career. The 18 year old is playing as defender since his Moskitos days (translators note: I think the Moskitos are the 10 or 11 year old in Swiss hockey): "Playing in the back fits me well. I love to initiate an attack from behind!". SCB ex-coach John van Boxmeer says this about Josi: "Players with such technique as well as the ability to influence the speed of the game are very rare, even in north America." The statistics speaks for Josi too. He was the most productive SCB-back of the last season behind Canadian Roche.

Now Josi is fighting for the last free spots in the world championships roster of Nati coach Ralph Krueger.
Streit, Bezina, Blindenbacher and, one should think so, Forster are locked. But the newly crowned Swiss champion is slightly injured and will not join (if at all) the Swiss national team until next week. Josi is fighting with Seger, Diaz, Von Gunten and Du Bois for one of the last three or four open spots on the roster. Josi has good chances, because he gets better each day and convinced the coaching staff. The least probable world championship participants at the moment are Furrer and Helbling.

But in the end the question is if Krueger really wants to take eight defenders to the championships or if he wants to take 13 forwards and only 7 backs with him. It is also possible that Krueger only takes the goalkeepers Gerber and RŁeger with him and leaves one spot open for Hiller, in case Anaheim drops out of the playoffs "in time".

[1] http://www.blick.ch/sport/eishockey/...tiniers-116831 (German)

Last edited by tycho: 04-15-2009 at 07:12 AM.
Old
04-17-2009, 08:03 AM
tycho

Roman Josi really made it into the roster of the Swiss national team! He is one of the eight defenders Krueger will take to the world championships. I think this is a big achievement for such a young player. I actually don't remember the last time an 18 year old made the roster of the Swiss national team. I don't think it happened in the last years.

Source (German): http://slapshot.ch/slapshot-news.asp...id=8112&navi=1

Old
04-17-2009, 12:31 PM
SwissButch
in CA OCT-NOV '12

Now it's official that he has signed a contract extension for 1 year.

http://www.scb.ch/news-content.aspx?id=1685 (German)

Old
10-07-2009, 04:11 AM
SwissButch
in CA OCT-NOV '12

Josi takes off

12 pts, 6 goals, 6 assists, +4 in 11 games
Top pairing along with Roche
Plays in the 1st PP as well as BP

Topscorrer in the Team along with Bartecko

Old
10-07-2009, 08:34 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissButch View Post
12 pts, 6 goals, 6 assists, +4 in 11 games
Top pairing along with Roche
Plays in the 1st PP as well as BP

Topscorrer in the Team along with Bartecko

Meh, if he had 12 goals and 12 assists I would say he has been impressive

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 11:17 AM
TheNextOneX

Quote:
Meh, if he had 12 goals and 12 assists I would say he has been impressive
May i remind you he's a defenseman and he's now notching 7 goals and 9 assists for a total of 16pt in 13 games making him the fourth leading scorer of the Swiss NLA....not bad for a 19 year old kid defenseman...

TheNextOneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 11:19 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextOneX View Post
May i remind you he's a defenseman and he's now notching 7 goals and 9 assists for a total of 16pt in 13 games making him the fourth leading scorer of the Swiss NLA....not bad for a 19 year old kid defenseman...
It was sarcasm X.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote